Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Lessons, worth it?

Sluggo42

So I decided to go have a lesson since I had a short spell of no golf.

I learned 4 things...

1) stand closer to ball, be taller

2) feet closer together

3) complete the backswing

4) align the shoulders to the target

It felt very very strange. But, I played the next day, committed to the lessons come what may.

Shot a 78. Made a lot of really good shots, after double on 1.

I'm going back for another next week too.

I'll spend about 3 months ingraining the new swing, and then starting an intensive 12 lesson session aimed at playing scratch by the end of the year.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

To answer the question in your title, lessons are worth it if you're willing to practice what you're taught.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

So I decided to go have a lesson since I had a short spell of no golf.

I learned 4 things...

1) stand closer to ball, be taller

2) feet closer together

3) complete the backswing

4) align the shoulders to the target

It felt very very strange. But, I played the next day, committed to the lessons come what may.

Shot a 78. Made a lot of really good shots, after double on 1.

I'm going back for another next week too.

I'll spend about 3 months ingraining the new swing, and then starting an intensive 12 lesson session aimed at playing scratch by the end of the year.

I think you'll find and agree later that lessons are worth it. Some of the best money I've ever spent on golf. I took a self paced lesson approach for about 2 years and my game improved dramatically. (although you wouldn't know it from todays round. Ha!)

I wasn't looking for a quick fix or cure. I recommend you think the same way. I wanted steady measurable results. That's exactly what I got. I didn't have a goal to play scratch but that's a good goal. (I'm 63) I told my instructor at our first session... "I just want to improve on what I have and play better." I didn't want a swing make over either. Didn't need one.

Sluggo I was like you. I had an 8 hcp but knew I had a better game inside me. I just needed some help getting it out. Nowadays I play with about 3-4 hcp.

Best of luck!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think you'll find and agree later that lessons are worth it. Some of the best money I've ever spent on golf. I took a self paced lesson approach for about 2 years and my game improved dramatically. (although you wouldn't know it from todays round. Ha!)

I wasn't looking for a quick fix or cure. I recommend you think the same way. I wanted steady measurable results. That's exactly what I got. I didn't have a goal to play scratch but that's a good goal. (I'm 63) I told my instructor at our first session... "I just want to improve on what I have and play better." I didn't want a swing make over either. Didn't need one.

Sluggo I was like you. I had an 8 hcp but knew I had a better game inside me. I just needed some help getting it out. Nowadays I play with about 3-4 hcp.

Best of luck!

I'm actually a 3.7 right now, just kinda lazy about updating that.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I personally think that everyone can benefit from some profession lessons.

I think we all get complacent with our games, and having a set of different professional eyes taking a look at your swing can point out little things that we just don't know we are doing.

It's not like I was hacking away out there, but just a few little things can just make things easier, and making a few swings hit a little better can make up a few strokes here and there.

I think everyone can benefit. And also, if your game improves, you actually will enjoy yourself more

I suppose "is it worth it" is subjective. First.... I have taken a few lessons over the years. Yes, they were helpful, in so far as, I learned what I was doing wrong and what I needed to do to fix it.

The problem is.... finding the time to work on what you learned. When you are single (divorced) and you work 10 - 12 hours a day plus half days on Saturday, it leaves little time to do what needs done at home, let alone practice golf.

So.... is it worth it? Sure.... if you have the time. If not, just play and have fun.... and save your money. I'm sure that isn't what anyone wanted to hear/read, but I'm a straight shooter, if nothing else.

I suppose "is it worth it" is subjective. First.... I have taken a few lessons over the years. Yes, they were helpful, in so far as, I learned what I was doing wrong and what I needed to do to fix it.

The problem is.... finding the time to work on what you learned. When you are single (divorced) and you work 10 - 12 hours a day plus half days on Saturday, it leaves little time to do what needs done at home, let alone practice golf.

So.... is it worth it? Sure.... if you have the time. If not, just play and have fun.... and save your money. I'm sure that isn't what anyone wanted to hear/read, but I'm a straight shooter, if nothing else.

I'd agree that if you're going to take lessons you need to make the time to practice what you've learned otherwise the muscle memory won't kick in when you're on the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I went to the range today to practice my “lesson”, and my buddy brought his sky tracker.

After a warm up session I hit 10 PW on “target” mode, set on 125 yards. I scored a 101 out of 100. I guess it liked one of the shots a lot lol.

Then I hit the 7 iron, set on 150 yds and got penalized 6 shots out of 10 for exceeding the target distance by over 10 yards. I used to hit the 7 iron 165 years ago, and I was banging a few of them right out there again

Needless to say, the swing changes are already paying dividends. I mean this dude has me nutting the ball like every shot.

I think that for a lot of us, we are already close to being a good ball striker. And a new set of educated eyes can see the little changes needed.

I used to think lessons were over rated.

Not any more.

I'm sure there is the factor of getting lucky enough to find a guy who can express his thought to you in a manor that fits into your brain in an unspderstandable way

I feel you there. There were several years when I was a new dad that if I played once a month I was lucky. I had to come to the realization that I'd have bad holes and not shoot low scores and to just go out and enjoy the good shots. Any money invested in lessons at that point would have been flushed down the toilet. Once I realized that even bad golf was fun because of the good shots, I was just thankful for the opportunity to play.

Right now, I'm super lucky that the guy that's the director of junior programs at our First Tee and who coaches my daughters keeps an eye on my game as well (not that it's hard, we play together quite a bit). I'm also lucky that my daughters both like to play, so a good portion of my golf time is family time.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I went to the range today to practice my “lesson”, and my buddy brought his sky tracker.

After a warm up session I hit 10 PW on “target” mode, set on 125 yards. I scored a 101 out of 100. I guess it liked one of the shots a lot lol.

Then I hit the 7 iron, set on 150 yds and got penalized 6 shots out of 10 for exceeding the target distance by over 10 yards. I used to hit the 7 iron 165 years ago, and I was banging a few of them right out there again

Needless to say, the swing changes are already paying dividends. I mean this dude has me nutting the ball like every shot.

I think that for a lot of us, we are already close to being a good ball striker. And a new set of educated eyes can see the little changes needed.

I used to think lessons were over rated.

Not any more.

I'm sure there is the factor of getting lucky enough to find a guy who can express his thought to you in a manor that fits into your brain in an unspderstandable way

Sounds like you got a keeper in that instructor. It's unusual to get one that can make such a change in one lesson. Keep working at it.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Sounds like you got a keeper in that instructor. It's unusual to get one that can make such a change in one lesson. Keep working at it.

Ya know it's funny, the reason I was lukewarm on lessons for many years was because I had instructors that didn't reach me. For whatever reason, like they really just didn't give a sh-+, or had a communication factor that wasn't working, or whatever. But this guy was quick and concise with what he wanted me to do.

Also I was able to go play the very next day, and I was committed to the new swing- regardless of what happened-

Sluggo.... your experience sounds so much like mine. I wasn't some rank beginner and didn't need or want golf 101 instruction. I wanted specific advise. Sometimes it came down to him showing me something and then I'd emulate. My instructor had me striking the ball much better from the first day. Like you and your instructor.... we just clicked. We only made a few minor changes during the whole time we worked together and none of them were hard to grasp or put into play immediately.

By the way... change that 8 hcp you have to 3.7. ;)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Ha!

Let's wait till I post up a few scores from this swing change

I might be just right where I'm at for a spell...

Played today in a gnarly pre-front wind, like a 3+ club wind. I mean it was vicious.

We didn't keep score as me and my bud are both working on new shots.

But while I had a bunch of clankers, I also had a bunch of really well struck balls, even my 5 iron. To give you an idea of the wind, I had one shot that was 155 yds, dead into the wind.

So I swing my 5 iron and absolutely crushed it. The wind shot it almost straight up, and pushed it about 10 yards left. I ended up about 3 yards left, and a few yards shy of pin high. I hit it about 195, and it went 152!!

But, I absolutely smoked it, so I was thrilled with the hit. And that was the theme of the day, we just tried to make seriously solid strikes.

I would guess I was probably in the low 80's, so I was really pretty happy overall. I'm hitting enough really good strikes to see that I'm headed in the right direction with the lessons.

I played golf for about 10 years without any lessons.  Then after I joined my first course, I took lessons from the pro there and it was the best money I've ever spent.  I think I was about a 12 handicap when I started the lessons and after several years of taking lessons and practicing what I was learning, I got my handicap down to a 2.  That was the lowest it's ever been. I don't get the chance to play as much these days, so it's not a 2 anymore, but I still practice what I was taught and it's still working for me

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

There's got to be a point where investing in lessons is either worth it ... or it's not - and I don't mean "worth it" in terms of value; I think any professional advice is valuable - I mean worth it as in you have the time and money to use what you're being taught.

So...how "much" do you think you need to play/practice in order to get the most out of your lessons?  

practice - once a day, multiple times in a week?

play - at least one 18 hole round a week if not more?

is it important to be a member at a club so you have unlimited access to things?

Furthermore...how many lessons are needed (in your opinion - I realize this is VERY subjective) if you're like Plaid and have been playing for a while and aren't looking for a complete rebuild from the ground up but just some small changes here and there ?

One, three, five, seven?

Last part - it seems --relatively-- easy to find fitters..there are a number of "top" lists out there but what about finding instructors?  I don't want to pay someone 100.00 for an hour and not get anything out of it.  As you might surmise I've never had lessons so I don't even know what a reasonable rate is - 40/75/100 ?? I've seen some deals on Groupon but I am pretty hesitant to go there since it sounds like a pump and dump type of thing.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

There's got to be a point where investing in lessons is either worth it ... or it's not - and I don't mean "worth it" in terms of value; I think any professional advice is valuable - I mean worth it as in you have the time and money to use what you're being taught.

So...how "much" do you think you need to play/practice in order to get the most out of your lessons?

is it important to be a member at a club so you have unlimited access to things?

Furthermore...how many lessons are needed (in your opinion - I realize this is VERY subjective) if you're like Plaid and have been playing for a while and aren't looking for a complete rebuild from the ground up but just some small changes here and there ?

One, three, five, seven?

Last part - it seems --relatively-- easy to find fitters..there are a number of "top" lists out there but what about finding instructors? I don't want to pay someone 100.00 for an hour and not get anything out of it. As you might surmise I've never had lessons so I don't even know what a reasonable rate is - 40/75/100 ?? I've seen some deals on Groupon but I am pretty hesitant to go there since it sounds like a pump and dump type of thing.

Lots of good questions. I think the answer is that it depends on you. What are your goals, can you get their by yourself, how much time can you invested in getting better.

I haven't taken a lesson in a while but probably should to sort out my short game. That would probably be 4 or 5 lessons. I think my full swing is okay but I used to take a couple of lessons in the March timeframe to get my swing fine tuned a little bit. I haven't done a major overhaul in a long time

No, you don't need to be a member of a club, there are instructors at public courses and at driving ranges. Where they teach out of doesn't indicate compatibility with you and your goals.

There are so many areas that you can have lessons....full swing, irons or woods, short game, putting, green reading, course management, etc.

Picking an instructor can be like a job interview. Talk to the instructor, even have him watch you Hit a couple of balls. Tell him your goals, ask him what he would recommend and how he would get there. Taking a 9 home playing lesson is good because you get some instruction and you can lay out an improvement plan.

Costs will vary by location and instructor but for around me it runs in the $50 -$125 an hour. Some include video analysis others don't. You generally get a price break on multiple lesson packages. Some have 2 day specialty schools for things like the short game. Some even have managed practice sessions in a 5 or 10 to 1 setting where you get less focused attention but there is a big price break.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wasn't looking for a quick fix or cure. I recommend you think the same way. I wanted steady measurable results. That's exactly what I got. I didn't have a goal to play scratch but that's a good goal.

Best of luck!

He told me t could take up to a year to get to my goal. Four phases.

1) a solid swing

2) a short game

3) putting

4) (applies to steps 1-3) the mental game

Crushing a bucket of balls at the range is great, but doesn't make you a “player”.

But to become a “player”, it helps to make solid full shots.

And, as Silver and Black says, you've got to have some time to work on it...

Sluggo... it took me a little over a year to really get the full effects. I did immediately gain some improvement but I had to make an effort to practice a little more and most importantly play with my changes and not get lazy. For better or worse. But honestly, I never had a feeling like I was starting over or anything because I wasn't. It was all just little things I had to be aware of willing to do.

Everything came together for me last summer and it was really nice.

Has anyone tried any of the on-line lessons?  Like meandmygolf or anything like that ??

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Has anyone tried any of the on-line lessons? Like meandmygolf or anything like that ??

I currently work with a putting coach where all our interactions have been online. This has been a great experience

Took an online swing lesson and it was ok. Much slower progress than in person as you get bits of things to work on. Would be hard if you are trying to make wholesale kind of changes. The nice thing about in person is that you get immediate feedback on what you are doing to make sure you are doing it correctly. Don't really want to be practicing something wrong.

With video capability on most every phone it is the way if the future and can be successful. Just depends on how the feedback loop works.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One, three, five, seven?

Last part - it seems --relatively-- easy to find fitters..there are a number of "top" lists out there but what about finding instructors?  I don't want to pay someone 100.00 for an hour and not get anything out of it.  As you might surmise I've never had lessons so I don't even know what a reasonable rate is - 40/75/100 ?? I've seen some deals on Groupon but I am pretty hesitant to go there since it sounds like a pump and dump type of thing.

I'll say this about the lessons I had.  It was at a time in my life when I had a ton of free time, so I was spending 5-6 days a week at the golf course for about 2-3 hours minimum a day.  Most of those days were solely spent on the driving range/wedge range and chipping green.  My handicap dropped pretty quickly.  Most people don't have that kind of time, though, and I sure don't anymore.  Don't expect lessons to drop your handicap a significant amount in a short time.  It's going to be more of a gradual drop and it's going to require you believe in what is being taught and keep grinding with it. 

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

That's fine - there are lots of ways/reasons to play golf and an equal number of limitations that come with. If you don't have the time to practice what you're working on it's silly to take lessons.

I'm anxious to have some time to devote to my game again. I got lots of practice in during January but have only played once this month with very little practice.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Lessons are almost vital for any amateur golfer or professional.Ive always worked my tail off on what I was told.The new guy I have is beyond great for me.Simple and doesn't expect me to get in positions or create speed like a tour pro.Heard him tell a student that his goal is to successfully implement 20% of what the lesson taught.That 20% of improved knowledge over time will allow some to break 90 for the first time.Or place decently in a local club event.This guy I see sees even the most minor fixes as a major accomplishment for us.Old ingrained habits are tough to fix

Keep it in the short stuff

Certainly makes me wonder how far you can go without lessons.

I imagine there are plenty of guys who are single digit who haven't had a formal lesson in their life.... perhaps they've had some guidance along the way but not a formal lesson.

Short story:

best friend from high school who I recently reacquainted with said that his brother took him out golfing about 15 years ago and he sucked. (he'd never played) his brother talked a bunch of smack to him so he spent the next 6 months at the range until he got it figured out on his own (he had little $) He turned himself into a scratch golfer that occasionally has rounds in the 60's and won some local tourneys.  He was a prison guard at the time and had a chance to play quite a bit.  He's still a single digit and is going to try and qualify for the US Open this year...  NO LESSONS 

We were best buds in high school and played hoops together night and day but never even thought about picking up a golf club.  I'm going out in April to play with him for a week to see if it's the real deal or not.  :)

I don't think it is vital for amateurs to have lessons.  I think they help, but as far as it being necessary I respectfully disagree.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I second it isn't vital for amateurs.

Some just have the ability to diagnose and adjust on their own. Others need a kick in the butt every other week when bad habits come creeping back.

Everyone has a limit they can achieve without help, but for many of us, it isn't that high.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Certainly makes me wonder how far you can go without lessons.

I imagine there are plenty of guys who are single digit who haven't had a formal lesson in their life.... perhaps they've had some guidance along the way but not a formal lesson.

Two anecdotes to both support and refute your point at the same time.

1. My grandfather was a scratch golfer at his best and was still shooting his age until the week he died. He was a very good athlete; he'd been a semi-pro baseball player in his younger days. He'd never taken lessons, but he was very able to pick up things by watching and reading.

2. There was a guy in my high school who'd go out and play with us on the golf team once or twice a year (his only rounds all year) and shoot something ridiculous like an 82. Not only did he not take lessons, but he hardly ever set foot on a golf course. There was no getting him to join the golf team; he was an all-state baseball player.

Support - Two very good players noted above that didn't take lessons. It's definitely possible.

Refute - The good, self-taught players I've played with were phenomenal natural athletes. I certainly do not fall into that category.

Oh, and my grandfather paid for me to take lessons until I started working at a club and getting them for free. Even though he didn't take them, he knew the value of them.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

You can definitely make it a long way without lessons (ex. Bubba Watson), but I would say that is definitely not the norm. I think you would have to have some kind of natural talent plus a ton of free time to work on your game.  I unfortunately didn't have much natural golf talent, so it took quite a few lessons for me to get where I wanted to be. 

In my bag:

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I highly suggest lessons for anyone who is really looking for improvement (and not just because I am considering turning Pro and would be on the teaching side). You need to find a someone who is able to communicate effectively to your learning style and can break down some more complex concepts in a way that is easy for you to understand. Once you find that person really commit to them and don't go looking around for another instructor until the message becomes stale.

The other big thing I would suggest to help drop your handicap is actively keep accurate stats for every round you play. I use an excel spreadsheet me and a buddy made during college to track these but find whatever works for you. Once I started doing this I went from a 5 to a scratch because I could see exactly what part of my game needed more focused practice and would be an item to bring up during my next lesson. Personally I track my stats so I see my averages from my last 20 9-hole rounds and have created a display were I can compare my stats in practice round to tournament rounds to see if there is any discrepancies. If there are I will try to come up with a way to add more pressure to that area into my practice and practice rounds to hopefully create tournament improvements.

I'm now adding Arccos to this to try to take it to the next level to work on improving my proximity throughout the bag in hopes of going from a scratch golfer to being in contention for State Opens with Professionals 

He told me t could take up to a year to get to my goal. Four phases.

1) a solid swing
2) a short game
3) putting
4) (applies to steps 1-3) the mental game

Crushing a bucket of balls at the range is great, but doesn't make you a “player”.
But to become a “player”, it helps to make solid full shots.

And, as Silver and Black says, you've got to have some time to work on it...

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

The other big thing I would suggest to help drop your handicap is actively keep accurate stats for every round you play. I use an excel spreadsheet me and a buddy made during college to track these

The obvious follow up question is what stats do you track? Do you follow the strokes gained approach to look for areas to improve? Do you track misses based on where you are aiming? Or some other method?

Archived