TESTERS WANTED! ×

JT and other golf idiots

GolfSpy MPR

That's an interesting observation. Are you familiar with TPC Snoqualmie Ridge, the host course of the Boeing Classic on the Champions Tour? That course was "kicked out" last year (now it's The Club at Snoqualmie Ridge), but it still hosts the event. It's a private club, so I've only played there a couple of times. I think it's a really solid design. Great Jack Nicklaus layout with spectacular views. Not sure why it was released from the program. I also didn't know other TPCs were getting dumped...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

TPC Virginia Beach was dumped many years ago (2002) and is now Virginia Beach National. Never had a PGA event but did host a web.com, nationwide at that time, event for a couple of years

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all due respect there has to be an order to the courses in the Player's minds. The quote about no bad ones, except Torrey, was funny.

I'd remind everyone that Lee Trevino hated Augusta (probably still does).

From what I see of touring pros they tend to play most courses by hitting it long and then short irons in. PGA National stops that for them and forces choices. It also has a couple of Par 5's that are tough to hit in 2 but then do reward brave shots that are well executed.

I'm sure there's great diversity of opinion among players about their favorite and least favorite courses just as I'm sure there's a ranking among the TPCs. I agree with that.

I also know that there have been courses quietly “kicked out” because they aren't strong enough. I would guess that if they were a TPC they were reworked.

Personally I prefer Tampa to Scottsdale and River Highlands. It hosted a defunct Champion's tour event and I know the players loved it. A friend of mine and I differ to the point of not being able to talk about whether we prefer it or Bayou (my home course).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Lee hated Augusta for more reasons than just the golf course. Don't forget that as well. So I'm sure that played into his view on the course. 

Lee also hit it very low and with a fade. 2 things that don't work particularly well together at Augusta. So the course wasn't set up great for him.

Torrey is just a boring course. Narrow and a lot of rough and trees. 

PGA National has too many water hazards and is also kinda boring.

Not saying that either can't produce some compelling golf and exciting tournaments. They just aren't great courses. 

This subject probably deserves its own thread. I honestly didn't mean to hijack this one. 

Here is a link that should somewhat help explain more of what I mean. I think you'll enjoy it. http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/definition-golf-course-architecture

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I'll draw a comparison with what happens in my workplace. If a member of the public verbally abuses someone working in my workplace, they are asked to stop, then if it continues a "Code Gray" is called and security comes to settle them down, usually with them leaving the building.

The incidence of health workers being verbally abused has gone through the roof over the last few years, and physical violence towards health workers has increased at an even greater rate. Quite often it is drug or alcohol related, but not always.

I don't have to put up with abuse in my work place, why should a tour pro? I'm certainly not against cheering after a bad shot, but keep it general and not personal.

Imagine if Justin Thomas went to this guys workplace and yelled directly at him. Pretty sure no one would think it was ok.

Sorry if I'm taking the conversation in an unintended direction...

Peaksy - I'd imagine that the verbal abuse you might take in your line of work would differ from what others of us receive. I manage IT consulting teams, and like Sixcat, I've been read the riot act by clients a few times. I've received dressings down from some clients that acted in a truly unprofessional fashion. And while I've jumped to the defense of my team, I also know that it comes with the territory. But I've never felt as though my team members or I were in danger.

I'm guessing that what you've seen in health care is an entirely different situation.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Sorry if I'm taking the conversation in an unintended direction...Peaksy - I'd imagine that the verbal abuse you might take in your line of work would differ from what others of us receive. I manage IT consulting teams, and like Sixcat, I've been read the riot act by clients a few times. I've received dressings down from some clients that acted in a truly unprofessional fashion. And while I've jumped to the defense of my team, I also know that it comes with the territory. But I've never felt as though my team members or I were in danger.I'm guessing that what you've seen in health care is an entirely different situation.

I've really only ever had one minor problem directed at me personally, perhaps because I'm 6'1" and not skinny. I've seen lots of patients and family members get very aggressive towards coworkers. Drug issues (Ice in particular) are a big part of the problem. Occasionally we have staff members spoken to in a very unreasonable way by other staff, which gets reported quickly and dealt with. Thankfully, the days of surgeons throwing things at staff have long gone.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

So, I heard all this after the fact and just read a few of the comments here. This is my take. I think anything, minus obscenities, can be yelled out as long as the player has played his stroke already.... There is the guy who will yell out "Get in the hole" from the tee box on a par 5.... If they don't want people yelling out. Then they hold up the Quiet signs until the ball lands.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

@undershooter - In the end course design will be a subjective thing.

Welcome to Florida golf would be my response to PGA National having too many water hazards. But I'm going to follow your suggestion and start a new thread because the courses are clearly an interesting topic for some of us - unless you start it first.

@Peaksy I'm sorry that you face what you do at your work. I would not suggest Pros or anyone should be expected to endure that.

I am suggesting that it's okay for a fan to go and cheer for or against players. In fact it's nothing new. Ask Jack about how the galleries treated him early on even when the only courses used were country clubs. Greg Norman said he'd never return to the Metropolitan NYC area, Sergio's not particularly fond of that area either. I'm from that area BTW.

I wouldn't outwardly root against a player because it's not who I am. I have no issues with someone who does though. I have a much bigger issue with a player whining about it than I do the fan.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Lee hated Augusta for more reasons than just the golf course. Don't forget that as well. So I'm sure that played into his view on the course. 

Lee also hit it very low and with a fade. 2 things that don't work particularly well together at Augusta. So the course wasn't set up great for him.

Torrey is just a boring course. Narrow and a lot of rough and trees. 

PGA National has too many water hazards and is also kinda boring.

Not saying that either can't produce some compelling golf and exciting tournaments. They just aren't great courses. 

This subject probably deserves its own thread. I honestly didn't mean to hijack this one. 

Here is a link that should somewhat help explain more of what I mean. I think you'll enjoy it. http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/definition-golf-course-architecture

“When I look out on a course and think, “That's good golf course architecture,” I see a course that is balanced.  It is a design that fits the lay of land - not overdone, and not forced or working against the canvas that nature provides - yet it is playable.”

-Keith Rhebb

Golf Course Architect

Rhebb Golf Design

I like this take.  I also love McKenzie's 13 principles.  Simple, effective and should be mandatory for all course design!  Especially #3.  Teeing grounds are commonly a driver-wedge from the previous green.  It's ridiculous. 

I moved the course architecture question over to the 19th hole everything else so that we could focus on the JT discussion here. If anyone is interested.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I moved the course architecture question over to the 19th hole everything else so that we could focus on the JT discussion here. If anyone is interested.

Thanks! I've been meaning to start it but have been slammed lately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the moved Architecture thread for those interested. https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/22523-course-architecture/

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

I hope a removal from a tournament picks up steam after more bad behavior.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

Every shot I watched yesterday someone yelled something dumb. It's almost unbearable.

The Tour needs to do something now, because its ridiculous at this point. I just don't understand why they even think they are funny. I can't stand obnoxious drunks and they are even worse at a golf tournament.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I hope a removal from a tournament picks up steam after more bad behavior.

Every shot I watched yesterday someone yelled something dumb. It's almost unbearable.

Totally agree. I don't know who the most vicious, tough, scary linebacker is in the NFL, but ... I'd like to see these same guys - who yell out obscenities at JT, Rory and others - stand on the sidelines of an important NFL game and yell out the same crap at the top of their lungs.

Or... Maybe just any old NHL game?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The Tour needs to do something now, because its ridiculous at this point. I just don't understand why they even think they are funny. I can't stand obnoxious drunks and they are even worse at a golf tournament.

Agree. They're not getting my business - I have absolutely no desire to pay good money and then be forced to stand next to that.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

After McIlroy's comments following play yesterday, I think more and more players are going to force the Tour into some change or action. It's been needed for some time now. The tournaments can sell alcohol and still expect civil behavior. The Masters has been doing it for 80 years.

If they stop selling alcohol they'll be ghost town events though unfortunately. I'm not against getting a buzz on and having fun, but save the screaming for NASCAR or something the fans can't hear you.

Sell fans a “drink wristband” with limited use. You can only buy so many beers. People will still come out.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Sell fans a “drink wristband” with limited use. You can only buy so many beers. People will still come out.

A wrist band, that they punch when they sell you a drink.

And after the last group make the turn, no more alcohol sales.

Other sports have a cut off, baseball the bottom of the 7th.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

A wrist band, that they punch when they sell you a drink.

And after the last group make the turn, no more alcohol sales.

Other sports have a cut off, baseball the bottom of the 7th.

This is along the line of my thought process too. Limit the amount say 5 per person. The thing with this is you will always have the person who buys for their friends when they aren't drinking and how do you control that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is along the line of my thought process too. Limit the amount say 5 per person. The thing with this is you will always have the person who buys for their friends when they aren't drinking and how do you control that?

First make the bands maybe $5.00 to $10.00 ea

Then if you go up to buy a drink #1 you can only buy 1 per trip per person.

Your not going to catch a 100% but you will stop the beer runs.

If you see someone buying a beer & handing it off. Cut his band off.

First make the bands maybe $5.00 to $10.00 ea

Then if you go up to buy a drink #1 you can only buy 1 per trip per person.

Your not going to catch a 100% but you will stop the beer runs.

If you see someone buying a beer & handing it off. Cut his band off.

I see what you're saying and that helps eliminate some of the issues. There are ways around getting caught handing it off though. Something does need to change

I see what you're saying and that helps eliminate some of the issues. There are ways around getting caught handing it off though. Something does need to change

With this much open space, you will not stop 100%.

Maybe $20.00 bucks a band, then people would be more apt to not take a chance.

The money from the bands could go to a local charity. You can sell the bands only on interning.

I personally can't stand it when people blame their idiocy on alcohol.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I personally can't stand it when people blame their idiocy on alcohol.

I don't believe most people blame alcohol.  A combination of adolescent, idiotic behavior coupled with large amounts of alcohol in a short space of time is something altogether different.  All one needs to do is watch a couple of viral videos to recognize the pattern in behavior. 

Growing the game should be a positive thing for us all.   Bringing the "Jackass" brand of "humor" (I use that term loosely) to the golf course, not so much!

After McIlroy's comments following play yesterday, I think more and more players are going to force the Tour into some change or action. It's been needed for some time now. The tournaments can sell alcohol and still expect civil behavior. The Masters has been doing it for 80 years.

Totally agree. Rory also made an interesting comment about the noise surrounding Tiger ... to paraphrase, that it may be costing Tiger 1/2 stroke per round and possibly up to 2 strokes per tournament...!

The players are the stars of the show and should definitely have a say in how the show is run.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

It's getting noticed and publicized which means it's only a short while before someone steps in and does something....

I liked this article - don't be "that guy"...

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/randall-mell/randalls-rant-hey-loudmouth-youre-not-funny

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Archived