I Want To Golf for Varsity

Learn 'The Golfing Machine' by going thru free YouTube videos. You can also check out my blog at http://3jack.blogspot.com and my forum at http://richie3jack.proboards.com/ for help on the swing and translating 'The Golfing Machine' for you. I don't make a penny on either site, but I have a good following there and I have a set of TGM translations free of charge.

I don't think 'The Golfing Machine' is the be all end all of golf instruction, but it's the most complete book on golf swing instruction and actually breaks the swing down easily. Problem is the book is very difficult to understand, that's why I translated it.

I think what 'The Golfing Machine' does, once you understand it, is give you a much better solid foundation than your typical golf magazine instruction and 'clears the fog' very well.

I would also google up 'the new ball flight laws' to understand how the ball flies and to further clear up some confusion.

I would also take a look at this free Web site, written by a friend of mine at http://perfectgolfswingreview.net. This has a lot of The Golfing Machine stuff and is a solid reference guide.

You can also PM me with questions. I'll try to help out when I can.

3JACK

Thank you for telling of about this, i will check it out on youtube. This is a good source.

I'm in high school right now on varsity and the best thing I did was played. It doesn't matter what your swing is like, as long a you can score. You can't practice scoring on a driving range. Get out on the course at least 3 times a week and hit a second ball if you don't like a result. My handicap has dropped 15 strokes over a year's time not because of instruction, but because i just go out on the course.

I'm in high school right now on varsity and the best thing I did was played. It doesn't matter what your swing is like, as long a you can score. You can't practice scoring on a driving range. Get out on the course at least 3 times a week and hit a second ball if you don't like a result. My handicap has dropped 15 strokes over a year's time not because of instruction, but because i just go out on the course.

I think that's good advice, though the cost might prevent some people from taking it. For high school golfers, you should see what kind of deals local courses will offer you, especially the course that your team plays and practices at.

Golf, like many other things, is funny in that what works for some people won't work for others. Some people get better by playing a lot, some get better by practicing. All that really matters is finding out what works for you.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Good advice. This past season, I did a lot of solo twilight nine hole rounds where I'm not rushed so I can work on my game. That had a lot to do with my improvement last year.

I would also become a student of the game. Go to the local library and see what golf books you can check out for free. Focus more on books that address course management and mental aspects.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Short game short game short game, that is the key to scoring. If you are scoring in the 80s-90s, then you obviously can get the ball around the green in two or three, if you can get up and down half the time after that, you are in the mid 80s. Also, having a picture perfect swing is great, but working with what you've got is even better. I know a lot of scratch golfers that don't have pretty swings, but know how to play around the greens. This will separate you from your peers as most young players hate chipping and putting practice. Get some foam balls online or in a store, and hone that short game while the snow melts! good luck!

Make sure you can putt and get up and down. That alone can get you out of many bad situations.

Your post reminds me of that Bull Durham quote ... Its a simple game...you catch the ball, you throw the ball, you hit the ball, GOT IT!!

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"