Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mizuno ST-180?

dhayse32

Anyone hit this driver yet against some other 2017/2018 offerings that can provide me some feedback?  Most of what I am reading makes me think this could be the sleeper (aka Srixon) of this years MGS test.  I am currently driver-less and need one in the bag ASAP before I head out for a month long work rotation!  

:taylormade-small: M1 10.5* - Tour AD BB-6X
:titelist-small: 10F.d. 13.5* - Graffaloy Bi-Matrix X
:titelist-small: 915Hd 20.5* - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  T-MB 2-iron - Aldila Tour Green
:titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
:vokey-small: SM6 50/56 - DG S400

:cameron-small:  Kombi S 35"

I hit the ST-180 yesterday it is a solid driver no real complaints. You still cant go wrong with the Srixon 565/765. The Cleveland Launcher HB driver is also very good at a very reasonable price. For me the Ping G400 line up is the best the LST is the best driver I have ever hit. The forgiveness is incredible and again that's just for me. Also the Cobra F8/8+ are very good as well. Hope this helps a little. If you can gives a few more details in what your looking for I could narrow down my suggestions.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I hit the ST-180 yesterday it is a solid driver no real complaints. You still cant go wrong with the Srixon 565/765. The Cleveland Launcher HB driver is also very good at a very reasonable price. For me the Ping G400 line up is the best the LST is the best driver I have ever hit. The forgiveness is incredible and again that's just for me. Also the Cobra F8/8+ are very good as well. Hope this helps a little. If you can gives a few more details in what your looking for I could narrow down my suggestions.

Appreciate the response.  I hit the Epic all last year and while the distance was insane for me, I was just too inconsistent.  I need forgivness first and foremost, but my spin numbers need to be down.  Always been a big fan of Cobra drivers but haven't read much on the F8s.  My misses are usually out towards the toe, in the past Cobras have always treated me right on those misses.  

I hit one back to back with a Ping G400 before going that route. The Mizuno was good, but it was a couple yards shorter for me and did not feel as explosive off of the face. The shafts were different though so take that with a grain of salt. Was a Ping Tour vs a Tensei Blue. I have an ATTAS Punch in the G400 now that made it even longer.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I got really good numbers from the Mizuno.  Ball speed was has high as anything I've hit and only 1-2 mph behind the Rogue.  Spin was much lower than I expected also.  Love the blue color and shape is really appealing to me.  My only "complaint" would be it's a little on the loud side.  It's more noticeable if you hit inside a bay at the store than it is out on the course.  

My bag is a revolving door!

I loved it when I tried it a couple of weeks ago. I went to try the Ping G400 and came away convinced the Mizuno was the better driver choice for me.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hsvent hit anything much more forgiving than the 400Max.

Simply doesnt miss the fairway on anything other than the worst swing you can imagine putting on it.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I hit about five balls with it right after I had hit the Cobra F8+, indoors at PGA Superstore... Better ball speed, and straighter than the Cobra. Again, though, limited hits with it. I liked it a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I have one. I had a 2006 driver in the bag until the St-180. My ball speeds went from 140's to 150's, carry went from 262 avg to 272 avg. The sound is like crunching a coke can with your foot. When I nut it I get 279 c 297 total.

I hit the Epic further (3yds) the Rogue even further (281 avg) and hit the G a bit better on mishits, 259 carry on worst 10/50 with ping, 253 with the Mizzy, and ultimately what made me shelve my FTi “265” for the Mizuno was the ability for me to “turn it over”. My SS is 102-105 and my launch is 12.5-13.5 and spin is in the 2300-2600 range.

Workability, sound, and the price tag made this 35 yo grinder make the leap. Also, the courses I play in Texas often have a line off the tee that requires a very comfortable 268 carry. I couldn't carry my “265” 268 obviously, and if $ were not an issue I'd have put a Rogue in the bag.

I cannot explain how happy I am I waited 10 years to upgrade.

I had the ST180 and loved it. Definite game changer in terms of ball speed and lowering spin. It's straight as an arrow as well. My issue was I couldn't work it like I wanted and the sound kinda put me off. When tested against the Rogue and M3 the numbers were VERY close. However the M3 edged them both out in my opinion, simply on dispersion. In essence it's as good in my opinion as what are thought to be the 2 best drivers on the market.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I really want to like the M3s but if history tells me anything then it won't be for me.  I have never hit a TM driver well.  

F8+, Rogue, 400LST and Mizzy are all in play at this point...

• 1 month later...

I was fit for an ST 180 hitting against a screen. Ended up with Tensei Blue shaft set at 11.5 degrees. Took it to Florida to actually play outside and hated it. Won a Cobra F8 while in Florida and was fit at a range by the Cobra rep set at 8.5 degrees with the stock shaft and loved it.

For the hell of it I adjusted the Mizuno down to 9.5 degrees and it has been a game changer. Straight as an arrow when the Cobra was a slight fade and picked up about 10 yards on the F8. Also I am getting this extra yardage playing on wet slow fairways in 40 degree weather and Florida was 70s and dry. Everything at sea level.

Hit this thing if you get a chance but also get it fit properly.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Archived