Sign in to follow this  
GolfJunkie302

How often to you regrip?

Never. It's just like my wife and her cars. When the tires need replacing it's time for a new ride.

• Like 2

I have 130 rounds over 2 years on my TaylorMade RSi TP irons and the grips are still in great shape. I won't hesitate to swap them though if they start wearing out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

This is a subject I've been thinking about lately, my grips always seem to stay in relatively good shape, while my brothers grips seem to wear out very fast, some of this may be due to the fact that he does not wear a glove, and possibly grip pressure, he's a caresser, and I'm a Strangler.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

How does one take care of grips. Soap and water?

Dish soap and warm water always works.
  • Like 2

Is it after every time you play? I may have to do some research on this. I've never cleaned my grip but switched to the dri-tac this offseason. Would really like these to last

Well....after doing some quick searches this would explain why my Last grips were almost slippery towards the end. Nobody I've ever played with even asked if I cleaned my grips. It's never even been mentioned. Mgs coming through again

Dish soap warm water and a soft fingernail brush.

About twice a year. I buy grips from Lamkin when they're on sale, and I have a grip station here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

It all depends on how much you play and how well you take care of your equipment. Also as mentioned some grips just last longer than others.

I can usually get a few seasons out of grips, but like Carolina it's rare that a club lasts longer than the grip. My SLDR driver is the only contender (4 years and still going) and I've regripped it once or twice.

Have you tried the SLDR-C??? With upgraded shaft, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I change the ones on my clubs when I feel like it but I'll be changing the iron this year to the Pure DTX from the Pros because I like uniformity.

My ball retriever on the other hand, during the season, I change the grip monthly.  :D

• Like 4

I clean my grips but unless I want to try something special or the grip rips/falls apart I never change them. Generally the grips that come on the clubs stay. Current set going on 4 years. Previous set of irons were 10 years old with original grips.

• Like 1

My GP Tour Velvets are 1 year old and all are still in great shape minus the wedges as I practice with them much more than the others. Considering changing out the wedges and leave the rest. Ive played and practiced more this last year then ever before and in past years I seldom replaced them but that was for lack of cash.

I typically clean my grips every few rounds which helps keep them feeling fresh. I don't actually change them very often. I purchased my current irons in 2014 and between then and last summer, I had only replaced the grips once. The irons came with GP Tour Wrap 2G and when I replaced them, it wasn't because they were worn, but because the grips always had an issue in humid conditions and I had a trip planned to a humid climate. I used the next set of grips, Lamkin REL ACE 3Gen until this past fall, but again, they were not replaced due to wear. I had new shafts put in the irons (Thanks MGS!) and now have Super Stroke S-Tech grips on. So i guess I'm averaging about every 2 years for grip changes, but honestly, I could go longer.. Also for further perspective, I'm playing roughly 35-40 rounds per year in mostly dry conditions.

Dish soap and warm water always works.

Indeed it does. Lamkin Gripes also work pretty well if you're lazy like me.

• Like 2

If you use Lamkin or GP get a course sanding sponge and expose some fresh rubber. Rub them down then wash with dish soap, simple green and hot water. Works great on cords or any solid rubber grip.

• Like 1

If you use Lamkin or GP get a course sanding sponge and expose some fresh rubber. Rub them down then wash with dish soap, simple green and hot water. Works great on cords or any solid rubber grip.

I was wondering about that. So you can just take a little rubber off? I'll have to try that...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I've never had to take any rubber off to get a grip tacky again.. It's really not necessary. As others have said, warm soapy water by itself works great, no need to scrub with anything more than a towel. And like @HardcoreLooper, I also keep a pack of Lamkin Gripes around for quick cleanings.

I was wondering about that. So you can just take a little rubber off? I'll have to try that...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Fred Couples was notorious for this. Guy would never change his grips. You are just exposing fresh rubber. I did it several times on a set of eye 2's years ago. Lamkin Crossline cords. Lasted 6 years. But then again I like rough grips and don't wear a glove.