Wedgie

Cobra F8 Single Length Irons and Hyrbirds

Thanks for the review, and I'll definitely be keeping tabs as you update through the season. I'm among those intrigued by the concept of single-length; just waiting for enough used sets to show up to drive the price down to my level :)

• Like 3

Thanks for the great initial thoughts.   I really like the honesty there, mentioning where you struggled and why and what you did to address it. 

i think that's a key thing to the Single Length, I don't have them, but our GM does and I've hit his a few times.  I could see if I was continually going though each iron in the set it would take some adjustment at first.  But I loved the fact I could swing his 5 iron easily and the fact I wasn't hunched over (I'm 6'5") the 9 iron and wedges.

Also great to hear Arcoss worked so well.  I love the technology in it and if and when I settle on a set of irons for a while, I may look at it.   Keep us posted on your thoughts, it's a great thread. 

• Like 4

Thanks guys...I'm playing in a member/guest in Florida in a couple of weeks and will share the Arcoss data regarding gapping which seems to be the big concern for people.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Thanks Wedgie, enjoyed the initial thoughts. I just received a set of f8 single length 5-GW, coming from JPX900 forged as well!! I think based on this and other reviews, I'll be ordering the 4H. Had one session at the range to test yardages, and I really enjoyed the whole set except the 5 iron, for some reason I was hitting a big weak fade/slice. Thinking maybe I tried to compensate for the “shorter” length, knowing it was a 5 iron, I was moving only this club way up in my stance and swinging harder. I think if I trust the single length and am consistent in setup, then issues will start to lessen. I like how you talked about ARCCOS as well, I haven't been anywhere but the range (heated range in upstate NY), so I'm anxious to pair and test it out. Overall, my biggest impression and excitement is that these single length sets and ARCCOS really combine as a “system” for increased consistency and feedback for improvement of scores. I need to trust in this combination, as well as just the system that one length provides: one setup, one swing. Looking forward to more GIR and getting my first putts into malleable territory.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Hey Pappyvanroyl I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with these.  I will say I haven't sold the Mizuno's yet but I hope to after more rounds with the single length clubs.  I was pretty solid with my 5 iron but after hitting the hybrids the way I did I may look to replace the 5 with a 5 hybrid.  Time will tell I guess.  Unfortunately the course I played was a sloppy mess but my initial thoughts were much better than any other new irons I have tried over the years.

I'd be interested in your thoughts as you progress with both the clubs and Arcoss which I love after one round.  

• Like 2

I'll be sure to provide updates as well, thanks Wedgie! Thinking I'll be pulling the trigger on a single length hybrid based on reviews and your feedback once I get a better idea on gapping. Very excited to put this all in play.

• Like 1

I'll be in Albany for business Tuesday night. Can you let me know the name of the heated driving range? I may go hit some balls.

Northway 8 Golf Center. Off exit 8 on i87. Call before as they may not have the range open with too much snow on the ground. Called today actually, and they're going to try and open back up tomorrow.

5 iron and 6 iron the same distance?? and not a big gap to the 4hybrid

I demoed the single length iron when I was fit for my F7's and I really struggled with them, granted I didn't spend a ton of time with them because it was a full bag fitting, but I had the most trouble hitting 9irons and wedges that were 7 iron length.....the 4, 5 and 6 iron didn't seen to bother me but I did see a drop off in distance over the regular F7's.

I look forward to following your progress

I played the member/guest in Florida last week so I was able to get the F8 One Lengths out for 3 rounds using Arcoss. I didn't use it during the actual tournament just the rounds leading up to it. I included average distances for each club above.

I almost hate to include the data because it was windy and the greens were rock hard. For example my 9iron average of 150 was the only shot I hit with the club which was downhill and downwind. Caught the green, rolled off the back and down a hill.

I feel under normal conditions and more time with the clubs the gapping is pretty spot on with the exception maybe between the 3 and 4 hybrids. I think the irons are about a club longer than my Mizunos which contradicts my initial thoughts.

The biggest positive was I have never hit so many shots right at the flag as I did over the course of last week. Problem was getting the distances right but that will happen overtime.

In regards to Arccos it is kind of a pain in the rear. It missed a lot of shots and some of the data doesn't jive within the app.

• Like 2

Thanks for the review. The single length irons have intrigued me since I heard of them. I'm sure there's a learning curve with the irons. Hard to kick out those Mizunos though as they are pretty decent clubs!

MDGolfHacker

5 iron and 6 iron the same distance?? and not a big gap to the 4hybrid

I demoed the single length iron when I was fit for my F7's and I really struggled with them, granted I didn't spend a ton of time with them because it was a full bag fitting, but I had the most trouble hitting 9irons and wedges that were 7 iron length.....the 4, 5 and 6 iron didn't seen to bother me but I did see a drop off in distance over the regular F7's.

I look forward to following your progress

I think the data is misleading because of the number of shots arccos actually picked up and the circumstances. Although the 3H and 4H seems like a nice gap I didn't see it with the eye test. My 5 iron was hit twice and one was fat so it screws up the numbers. The 8 iron is probably my biggest concern because even when I flushed it it just didn't seem to go anywhere. May have to get a spec check.

Im a 15.6 hdcp, would you recommend these to average golfers or is it on  player-by-player basis. Since the one-length has come out i need to go try them at a local shop.

Does the Arccos app automatically record the length of each shot?

thanks

Im a 15.6 hdcp, would you recommend these to average golfers or is it on player-by-player basis. Since the one-length has come out i need to go try them at a local shop.

Does the Arccos app automatically record the length of each shot?

thanks

I think it is a player by player thing. I played 30 years with variable length and when I switched to single length 5 rounds ago it was pretty easy to make the switch. I'm a 13 handicap that doesn't really practice and I don't try to work the ball. Just try it hit it straight.

Now I just set up the same way and fire away. The only clubs I have that aren't 37.5 inches long are driver, 2h and putter and no issues so far transitioning back to any of them. I do have to choke way down for short chips but using SW and LW on full swings had been much better. I used to thin a lot of shots.

Arccos does most of the work for you but it will miss a shot now and then especially putts. My gaps look bad but I am confident they are better than my variable length clubs. My results are on course so I may have been clubbing up, down, who knows but if I had a flat shot with minimal wind I was very confident what club to use up to 200 yards out.

• Like 1

That was a great review. me personally, I'm not very interested in the one-length “fad”? (Who knows it could be a movement). I'm more of a feel player with my irons, so I'm not sure if I would benefit from one length. I am interested though in the Cobra hybrids. I've been doing research on F7s and F8s looking to maybe replace a trusty Adams I have (maybe, cause the thing is money for me). I would love to here some more detailed thoughts about the hybrids you have and which lofts you have and why you have them.

• Like 1

That was a great review. me personally, I'm not very interested in the one-length “fad”? (Who knows it could be a movement). I'm more of a feel player with my irons, so I'm not sure if I would benefit from one length. I am interested though in the Cobra hybrids. I've been doing research on F7s and F8s looking to maybe replace a trusty Adams I have (maybe, cause the thing is money for me). I would love to here some more detailed thoughts about the hybrids you have and which lofts you have and why you have them.

I hope they aren't a fad since I think they would benefit a lot of people but also know they aren't for everyone. I traded in F7 2 hybrid for the F8 2 hybrid. I'm not in front of them but I think the F7 was set to 16.5 and the F8 is fixed at 16 degrees. Stock shafts in both. For me the F8 is straighter and a hair longer with a higher ball flight. Personally if you can get the F7 for less money there isn't enough difference to justify the newer model.

The 3H and 4H are single length at 19 and 22 degrees. These have been much better than any hybrids I have used because they just go so damn straight. You can see I don't crush the ball so straight is good for me. I carry the clubs I do because I play from the tees I should which usually means even on long par 4s I'm at worst around 200 out. If reaching par 5s in 2 were in my future I may look at switching things up.

• Like 1

Thank you for the review! I got the Cobra F7 One length 5-GW set last year and I have absolutely loved them. Like you have said everything is much straighter and more consistent. I like how you can get a hybrid/iron setup with this year's F8 line. I put an older Cobra Fly-Z 3-4 hybrid in the mix with my current setup and the gapping is all off. I really want to try the F8 line, but seeing that I just bought the F7s in the fall its probably not in the cards this year. The Arccos system seems really interesting. The only thing that I didn't like about the setup is that the GW is more of a blade wedge and I couldn't hit it very well. I switched to the Cleveland CBX 50, 54, and 58 this season and my short game is night and day. Those wedges are so consistent and dialed in. They feel great and you get an awesome result even on the off center/fat/thin shots. Love the One Lengths!