Wedgie

Cobra F8 Single Length Irons and Hyrbirds

Thank you for the review! I got the Cobra F7 One length 5-GW set last year and I have absolutely loved them. Like you have said everything is much straighter and more consistent. I like how you can get a hybrid/iron setup with this year's F8 line. I put an older Cobra Fly-Z 3-4 hybrid in the mix with my current setup and the gapping is all off. I really want to try the F8 line, but seeing that I just bought the F7s in the fall its probably not in the cards this year. The Arccos system seems really interesting. The only thing that I didn't like about the setup is that the GW is more of a blade wedge and I couldn't hit it very well. I switched to the Cleveland CBX 50, 54, and 58 this season and my short game is night and day. Those wedges are so consistent and dialed in. They feel great and you get an awesome result even on the off center/fat/thin shots. Love the One Lengths!

Thanks for the feedback. I am giving the wedges a go but I told my buddy right away that if I see myself changing anything it would be the gap, sand and lob wedges. As I said great on full shots for me and straight as an arrow but anything less than full swings was a struggle. But frankly I always struggle with my wedges on the Bermuda grass at his club.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I wanted to add for Arccos I purchased a refurbished iPhone SE on eBay for $90. It came with no phone service or SIM card. I went to Best Buy and they ended up giving me a SIM card and installing it. I use that for my rounds without worrying about the phone buzzing throughout the round or draining my battery. This works great in that is the smallest phone that can be used with the system that I am aware. You just connect to WiFi to download any courses before you play and you are done. iPods won't work because you need GPS service. Without this option I probably wouldn't even use the system because I'd end up answering calls or emails the entire round and I don't want to be that guy.

Thanks for the review.  I am looking at the F8 one length as well.  It just seems to make since to me.  Looking forward to trying some.

Wedgie,

Excellent review ! I too am exploring the possibilities of Cobra OL. I did pickup the 3H and 4H and they are fantastic clubs As for the irons I am debating to go F8 or Forged ONE. Have hit them once and the 5i to PW was hitting straight shots; the dispersion tightness was very nice. I did notice one has to focus on smooth swing and trust the OL clubs. On the other hand I was not happy with the ball flight of PW. So, I am debating to go 2018 F8 OL irons or goto the 2017 Forged ONE. the 2018 Forged Tec ONE(black) are nice but so is the $$$  :unsure:

Currently gaming the Adams Idea CB3(forged) with KBS Tour 90. What was your long term experience moving from forged Mizuno JPX900s to the F8 OL which seems to be a mix of face technology but not forged ?

• Like 1

Wedgie,

Excellent review ! I too am exploring the possibilities of Cobra OL. I did pickup the 3H and 4H and they are fantastic clubs As for the irons I am debating to go F8 or Forged ONE. Have hit them once and the 5i to PW was hitting straight shots; the dispersion tightness was very nice. I did notice one has to focus on smooth swing and trust the OL clubs. On the other hand I was not happy with the ball flight of PW. So, I am debating to go 2018 F8 OL irons or goto the 2017 Forged ONE. the 2018 Forged Tec ONE(black) are nice but so is the $$$ :unsure:

Currently gaming the Adams Idea CB3(forged) with KBS Tour 90. What was your long term experience moving from forged Mizuno JPX900s to the F8 OL which seems to be a mix of face technology but not forged ?

I've only played about 6 rounds with the F8 Ones so I can't really give a long term review but I traded my Mizunos in over the weekend as I prefer the F8s. I generally play low compression golf balls so it is hard to compare feel since these marshmallows make all clubs feel nice.

I can say the Mizunos gave better feedback on mishits and punished you a little more. I feel the Mizunos had better distance dispersion but I played a lot more rounds with them and I am just adjusting to the new clubs. Biggest thing for me was I was losing 4 or 5 shots a round hitting it fat or thin. After a bit of adjustment it just doesn't happen anymore and I have hit more balls right at the flag then I did all last summer in my short time with these.

My iron play has always killed me. I have kept stats on the Grint app for 5 years and averaged about 4 GIR and I am up to 6 GIR this year. It will definitely go up once I get a better handle on distances of each clubs because again, these clubs are really straight for me.

The biggest adjustment has been trusting the club to do its job and just put the same swing on every shot with the same ball position.

• Like 3

Really enjoy reading your updates on these. I've beem curious about them to see if the talk and commerial release was worth looking at.

I know of at least one Cobra connect tester who will be going one length. MDGolfhacker beer sure and follow his progress when the challenge starts.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I know of at least one Cobra connect tester who will be going one length. MDGolfhacker beer sure and follow his progress when the challenge starts.

Yep, I'm going to stand down and let the official reviews take it from here but will continue to gladly answer questions.

• Like 1

I thought I'd give a little update as we await the Cobra Challenge reviews. The little update is I love the clubs but I have gone through a lot with them as well.

My distance control has been all over the place and finding the sweet spot in terms of ball placement has been a challenge. That being said I was ready to trade them in when I found a guy that would adjust the lie angles. I was told they couldn't t be bent because they were cast.

Either way, I took a half inch off them, removed Arccos and adjusted the lie angles and made them all 63 degrees. Since that time I have played great golf. Pre adjustments I was averaging 4 GIR and 3 rounds since the change it is up to 8 a round. Handicap is trending down and between using the same ball and the adjustments my distance control has never been better.

It really makes me wonder why they went with different lie angles but either way the clubs have been a ton of fun....well they have been the last 3 rounds anyway.

• Like 3

I hit them at the practice range with the thought of a mid to high handicapper, I hinestly don't see hiow they would benefit a golfer...benefit being the operative word.

take any golfer and have them fitted to one of the game improvements clubs by various manufactuers. One that comes to mind is the new CGB by taylormade, if you can't hit that and get proper gaps between each club......well take  quite a few lessons or give it up.

I hit them at the practice range with the thought of a mid to high handicapper, I hinestly don't see hiow they would benefit a golfer...benefit being the operative word.

take any golfer and have them fitted to one of the game improvements clubs by various manufactuers. One that comes to mind is the new CGB by taylormade, if you can't hit that and get proper gaps between each club......well take quite a few lessons or give it up.

Kickinbirdie:

It's more placement of the ball and adjusting your swing to the longer iron clubs and the shorter scoring clubs. Basically, you are readjusting your swing due to the different length of the shafts. One length Irons simplifies all this by allowing you to keep the ball placement in the same place and same swing regardless if you are hitting a lob wedge or 4 iron. I'll be putting this to the test during the Cobra Connect Challenge II.

MDGolfHacker

Yep, I'm going to stand down and let the official reviews take it from here but will continue to gladly answer questions.

Your input is just as important as the official testers. Appreciate your comments thus far!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

Your input is just as important as the official testers. Appreciate your comments thus far!

MDGolfHacker

Yep. I agree with MDGH. No need to stop posting. Once the challenge thread is active. Feel free to jump in.

I appreciate your review.   Thanks.   I demoed these at Carl's and Miles of Golf in Michigan.     I really liked them but because they were so relatively new, I've not decided to pursue them.    Reviews like this help make the decision easier.

My wife took up golf a few. years ago, and we have tried about every women's club out there to help her along. The Cobra one length really changed her game.

She doesn't have the hybrids, but they are probably next on the list. She is about 5'2" and only has a driver swing speed of 75.

But with her one lengths she hits pretty consistent iron shots. The biggest gains for her were with her 6 iron.

I am very tempted to get a set of the f8 forged one length. Having watched her adjust and her game change, I can really see the benefit of these clubs for learning to golf, and once you learn on these you'd stick with them. Obviously, they aren't for everyone. But they are definitely worth playing a few rounds with if you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Great review, I tried the King forged one length and they just were not for me. I can understand the comfort at address of the same length, but for me the initial impression was that my gaps between irons really became jammed together. I couldn't seem to figure out how to work with them. I went back to my RSI TPs. I can certainly understand why people really like them, and the shop I work at sell tons of sets but they just aren't for me. 

I've often wondered if they would be good for someone like my wife that is 5 feet tall and then we could just shorten them all to the same length for her comfort. She doesn't generate enough club head speed to have much gapping normally anyways. Thoughts?

I would love to hit one of the King Utility one lengths to see if they could be a good 4-5 iron replacement. Not interested in one length at the lower end of the set though. Tried it and it just wasn't for me.

I would love to hit one of the King Utility one lengths to see if they could be a good 4-5 iron replacement. Not interested in one length at the lower end of the set though. Tried it and it just wasn't for me.

Maybe consider the 4 hybrid option as well. The hybrids are the best part of the set.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences with these one length irons.

I considered something like this and actually experimented with some old shafts and heads to see if I would like it. I ultimately decided I did not want to have my short irons and wedges longer. Since this and putting is generally the money part of my game, I went with standard length irons and spent my time and effort embracing hybrids and finally found some that worked for me.

I did sort of chuckle when reading your first post about how you experimented moving the ball around in your stance on the short irons. That defeats the purpose of single length irons, and its not surprising that didn't workout to well for you.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences with these one length irons.

I considered something like this and actually experimented with some old shafts and heads to see if I would like it. I ultimately decided I did not want to have my short irons and wedges longer. Since this and putting is generally the money part of my game, I went with standard length irons and spent my time and effort embracing hybrids and finally found some that worked for me.

I did sort of chuckle when reading your first post about how you experimented moving the ball around in your stance on the short irons. That defeats the purpose of single length irons, and its not surprising that didn't workout to well for you.

Moving the ball around is my issue with the Cobras. Different lie angles and offsets defeats the purpose as well in my opinion so you are forced to move ball around.