Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra F8 Single Length Irons and Hyrbirds

Wedgie

I hit them at the practice range with the thought of a mid to high handicapper, I hinestly don't see hiow they would benefit a golfer...benefit being the operative word.

take any golfer and have them fitted to one of the game improvements clubs by various manufactuers. One that comes to mind is the new CGB by taylormade, if you can't hit that and get proper gaps between each club......well take quite a few lessons or give it up.

Kickinbirdie:

It's more placement of the ball and adjusting your swing to the longer iron clubs and the shorter scoring clubs. Basically, you are readjusting your swing due to the different length of the shafts. One length Irons simplifies all this by allowing you to keep the ball placement in the same place and same swing regardless if you are hitting a lob wedge or 4 iron. I'll be putting this to the test during the Cobra Connect Challenge II.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Yep, I'm going to stand down and let the official reviews take it from here but will continue to gladly answer questions.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Your input is just as important as the official testers. Appreciate your comments thus far!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Yep, I'm going to stand down and let the official reviews take it from here but will continue to gladly answer questions.

Your input is just as important as the official testers. Appreciate your comments thus far!

MDGolfHacker

Yep. I agree with MDGH. No need to stop posting. Once the challenge thread is active. Feel free to jump in.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 4 weeks later...

I appreciate your review.   Thanks.   I demoed these at Carl's and Miles of Golf in Michigan.     I really liked them but because they were so relatively new, I've not decided to pursue them.    Reviews like this help make the decision easier.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness

My wife took up golf a few. years ago, and we have tried about every women's club out there to help her along. The Cobra one length really changed her game.

She doesn't have the hybrids, but they are probably next on the list. She is about 5'2" and only has a driver swing speed of 75.

But with her one lengths she hits pretty consistent iron shots. The biggest gains for her were with her 6 iron.

I am very tempted to get a set of the f8 forged one length. Having watched her adjust and her game change, I can really see the benefit of these clubs for learning to golf, and once you learn on these you'd stick with them. Obviously, they aren't for everyone. But they are definitely worth playing a few rounds with if you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Great review, I tried the King forged one length and they just were not for me. I can understand the comfort at address of the same length, but for me the initial impression was that my gaps between irons really became jammed together. I couldn't seem to figure out how to work with them. I went back to my RSI TPs. I can certainly understand why people really like them, and the shop I work at sell tons of sets but they just aren't for me. 

I've often wondered if they would be good for someone like my wife that is 5 feet tall and then we could just shorten them all to the same length for her comfort. She doesn't generate enough club head speed to have much gapping normally anyways. Thoughts?

I would love to hit one of the King Utility one lengths to see if they could be a good 4-5 iron replacement. Not interested in one length at the lower end of the set though. Tried it and it just wasn't for me.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I would love to hit one of the King Utility one lengths to see if they could be a good 4-5 iron replacement. Not interested in one length at the lower end of the set though. Tried it and it just wasn't for me.

Maybe consider the 4 hybrid option as well. The hybrids are the best part of the set.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences with these one length irons.

I considered something like this and actually experimented with some old shafts and heads to see if I would like it. I ultimately decided I did not want to have my short irons and wedges longer. Since this and putting is generally the money part of my game, I went with standard length irons and spent my time and effort embracing hybrids and finally found some that worked for me.

I did sort of chuckle when reading your first post about how you experimented moving the ball around in your stance on the short irons. That defeats the purpose of single length irons, and its not surprising that didn't workout to well for you.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences with these one length irons.

I considered something like this and actually experimented with some old shafts and heads to see if I would like it. I ultimately decided I did not want to have my short irons and wedges longer. Since this and putting is generally the money part of my game, I went with standard length irons and spent my time and effort embracing hybrids and finally found some that worked for me.

I did sort of chuckle when reading your first post about how you experimented moving the ball around in your stance on the short irons. That defeats the purpose of single length irons, and its not surprising that didn't workout to well for you.

Moving the ball around is my issue with the Cobras. Different lie angles and offsets defeats the purpose as well in my opinion so you are forced to move ball around.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I thought I'd give a little update as we await the Cobra Challenge reviews. The little update is I love the clubs but I have gone through a lot with them as well.

My distance control has been all over the place and finding the sweet spot in terms of ball placement has been a challenge. That being said I was ready to trade them in when I found a guy that would adjust the lie angles. I was told they couldn't t be bent because they were cast.

Either way, I took a half inch off them, removed Arccos and adjusted the lie angles and made them all 63 degrees. Since that time I have played great golf. Pre adjustments I was averaging 4 GIR and 3 rounds since the change it is up to 8 a round. Handicap is trending down and between using the same ball and the adjustments my distance control has never been better.

It really makes me wonder why they went with different lie angles but either way the clubs have been a ton of fun....well they have been the last 3 rounds anyway.

I hope you put the Arccoss grips back on.....great system. Why didn't you just choke up if all you removed was a 1/2 inch?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I hope you put the Arccoss grips back on.....great system. Why didn't you just choke up if all you removed was a 1/2 inch?

The easy answer is I'm not a choker upper. Every club I have I like to hold on the end so that is the main reason. I did not reinstall Arccos because it missed so many shots I got tired of messing with it. If anyone is curious when you take the Cobra connect grip off the sensor sits on an exposed battery. The battery is shaped like a nickel.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I loved my forged King Cobra one lengths last year. I had the 5-LW. If I had to do it over I would have gotten hybrids thru the 5 and kept standard length GW-SW-LW.

I hit them pretty well until August last year and for whatever reason I lost confidence with the wedges. It was a sight to see. As my buddy said, "it's like watching a monkey trying to eff a football" every time I had a shot inside 115 yards.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to test some clubs out next week and these were high on my list to try. I'm a big fan of the idea behind one length irons and having a "standard" swing to use across the board. Your learning process with them is great to know ahead of time when considering buying a set.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

• 2 weeks later...

Archived