TESTERS WANTED! ×

Course architecture

revkev

Now I've missed lots of the discussion. I hate to be controversial :) but I don't think Pebble is a great design - it's the most amazing property and has some great holes on it but in general the holes away from the cliff are ordinary...

I would still put it in the category of great because of its beauty, several strong holes and it's history.

I think Sawgrass belongs in the great group. Strategically it is ingenious, it's playable for everyone and even at the top does not favor a certain style of play. Unlike Pebble, several forced carries or PGA National or Copperhead, the same, it only has one. You may have seen it. :)

Lots of courses here have paspalum. I like it but over the past five years or so the warm weather grass of choice has become tiff eagle - like they have at Pinehurst 2.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I've missed lots of the discussion. I hate to be controversial :) but I don't think Pebble is a great design - it's the most amazing property and has some great holes on it but in general the holes away from the cliff are ordinary...

I would still put it in the category of great because of its beauty, several strong holes and it's history.

I think Sawgrass belongs in the great group. Strategically it is ingenious, it's playable for everyone and even at the top does not favor a certain style of play. Unlike Pebble, several forced carries or PGA National or Copperhead, the same, it only has one. You may have seen it. :)

Lots of courses here have paspalum. I like it but over the past five years or so the warm weather grass of choice has become tiff eagle - like they have at Pinehurst 2.

I wouldn't say you're being "controversial" about Pebble.  I've heard Cypress is the better design although Pebble may have the slightly better property.  Interesting that Mark Frost suggest this several times in the book "The Match".  Which is an excellent read for anyone interested.

My issue with Sawgrass is how "manipulated" the property feels but, as I have stated before, I'm occupationally handicapped at times.  Strategically, Sawgrass is phenomenal.  From a civil design perspective, it's too contrived and manipulated for my liking.  As much as you seem to enjoy Sawgrass Rev,  check out The River Course at Virginia Tech.  Pete Dye has said several times, its the single best piece of property he has had to work with.  If you are ever in southwest Virginia, let me know.  We will play it together.  Many people, myself included, thought the course would help grow the golf program at Virginia Tech.  After getting to know someone within the athletic department over the past few years, I'm afraid that will not happen until the school makes a change in leadership of the golf program.

I would assume paspalum would be isolated to coastal facilities since it relies on salt water for irrigation.  I live a little too far north for tiff-eagle to be common also.  Several courses have switched to it an hour south of me though.  A local high school installed patriot bermuda a few years ago on the football field.  It failed miserably!  It's just too cool at night, even in the summer months at this elevation, which is right around 3,000 feet.  Less than a half-an-hour south, the elevation drops well over 2,000 feet to 750 feet.  The air is significantly warmer, more humid and warmer weather comes a few weeks earlier in the year and stays a few weeks later in the year.  

The original design of pebble is 100% better than what it has become. And I don't disagree. I believe that it is not even the best designed course on its own property. Hell it might not be the second best design on the property either. Just the most famous. Pebble could be great and has some great holes but I wouldn't say its necessarily ''great" architecture. But it used to be. They changed it too much over the years.

I was just referring to it being one of the better courses they play on tour every year. It's much better than the average.

Remember, to me good architecture has nothing to do with the scenery. That's just a bonus. Which is why I think Torrey is boring and could be MUCH better if redesigned properly. 

Sawgrass is a good design in terms options/ angles/ and play-ability for all handicaps. Like sixcat mentioned, the property has been a bit over designed but it has worked out alright for the player. 

Edit: I did have Sawgrass in my good tour courses list btw. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

We're a bunch of elitist snobs!   ;)

After looking back over some stuff I have posted in this thread, I would feel remiss if I didn't point out I would play any and all courses mentioned in the thread at any time without complaint.  I've made myself sound a little more pretentious than I would have liked.  At the end of the day, playing a bad golf course is still playing the game I love!

I'm definitely in the same camp as those of you who prefer architects typically taking their cues from naturally occurring contours. As such, I'm a big fan of A.W. Tillinghast and Perry Maxwell. Growing up in Texas, we were fortunate to have a number of their designs accessible as reasonable road trip destinations.

From Tillinghast's resume, I have thoroughly enjoyed Colonial, Ft. Worth CC, River Oaks, Brackenridge Park, Oak Hills CC, San Antonio CC, Tulsa CC and Interlachen CC. Oak Hills CC is legitimately one of the finest layouts I've ever encountered. PGA Champions Tour hosted an event there for a long time and it was always a favorite of players.

On the Perry Maxwell side of the fence, I have been lucky enough to play Dornick Hills, Southern Hills, Lawton CC, Lincoln Park, Oklahoma City G&CC, Prairie Dunes CC and Austin CC (Riverside). Maxwell was also often brought in solely to consult on greens complexes at a long list of great tracks (ie - Augusta National) and his large undulating surfaces are creative, memorable and really fun to negotiate.

From the list of tracks above, one thing that always stands out to me is the majestic stands of old growth trees contributing to the shape, strategy and aesthetic. A lot of the trees on these properties are well over a hundred years old. Extricating your ball from beneath rangy low hanging live oaks or around enormous cottonwoods requires patience and creativity, two of my favorite characteristics of any layout.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

A.W Tillinghast redesigned the Walla Walla CC in 1936.  Short, tree-lined fairways and small greens.  Tough course.

I've become a fan of David McLay Kidd's courses; Bandon Dunes, Tetherow in Bend OR, and Gamble Sands in central Washington.  Great layouts using the natural terrain.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Paspalum - I'd be interested to play a course that's wall-to-wall paspalum, because I'd imagine that the whole course would play fairly consistently. The ball does sit up very nicely on paspalum.

Tillinghast - We have a muny here in Richmond that's an old Tillinghast design. Not one of his best, but it's tons of fun to play. And the tee shot from the back tee on the 17th is one of my favorites anywhere.

And there's a Donald Ross course across the street.

Regarding contemporary architects, I'm a big fan of Lester George. He doesn't get out of Virginia very much, but his courses are well designed and playable. The wide holes on his courses are always very deceiving, because half of the fairway leaves you with a challenging approach. Which is how it should be.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

We're a bunch of elitist snobs! ;)

After looking back over some stuff I have posted in this thread, I would feel remiss if I didn't point out I would play any and all courses mentioned in the thread at any time without complaint. I've made myself sound a little more pretentious than I would have liked. At the end of the day, playing a bad golf course is still playing the game I love!

I didn't interpret anything that you wrote in the manner you've characterized yourself.

We are having a discussion about the cream of the crop in regards to course architecture. I think we agree that none of these courses are dogs and that we'd gladly play them. Heck I'm looking out the window at the flag on a course that does nothing for me, short, tight, winds through condos, no way to walk it, everything negative Florida golf is know for - but I'd gladly play there if I didn't have a tee time at my own club.

Back on topic I looked closely at Copperhead yesterday with this discussion in mind. I realized that there was more bailout or opportunity for a handicap golfer than had thought or noticed the time that I played it. Also if someone wants to take risks they can get closer to the green than 200 on those couple of holes.

For touring pros it's a wonderful test and there's ample room for it to be fun for the rest of us.

I'm not as opposed to dirt being moved so long as it makes sense.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yeah many say Pebble has nine great holes and nine decent holes. I've never played it and with the amount of the green fee and knowing what I know about the course, I'm not sure I'll play it. I'd rather take that money and go to Bandon or Cabot. As mentioned, the changes over the years also have likely strayed too far from the original design, which is to its detriment as far as GCA goes. But really, there's not a whole lot of reason to change for them. It's considered the best golf resort in NA and the tee sheet is booked every day, with more than enough paying whatever it takes to play.

As for moving dirt, I'm fine with it as well. Many of the golden age courses moved a lot of it and while we're in the middle of a minimalism trend, I'm not as down on courses looking built up as others. I mean, MacDonald and Raynor courses are fairly built up as opposed to natural yet they work beautifully so it can be done. Conversely, C&C have led the way in showing just how sophisticated and sublime minimalist courses can be, so really, I like the whole spectrum, as long as it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Paspalum - I'd be interested to play a course that's wall-to-wall paspalum, because I'd imagine that the whole course would play fairly consistently. The ball does sit up very nicely on paspalum.

Tillinghast - We have a muny here in Richmond that's an old Tillinghast design. Not one of his best, but it's tons of fun to play. And the tee shot from the back tee on the 17th is one of my favorites anywhere.

And there's a Donald Ross course across the street.

Regarding contemporary architects, I'm a big fan of Lester George. He doesn't get out of Virginia very much, but his courses are well designed and playable. The wide holes on his courses are always very deceiving, because half of the fairway leaves you with a challenging approach. Which is how it should be.

I really like George's courses that I have played. Kinloch is one of the best, least known courses in the world. He has also been chosen to renovate several Tillinghast courses. I've never been a huge fan of Roanoke but have heard George's work has been well received. My brother in law lived in Harrisonburg for many years so, I've played Longview quite a bit. Not my favorite but the George 9 is by far the best 9 on property.

I really like George's courses that I have played. Kinloch is one of the best, least known courses in the world. He has also been chosen to renovate several Tillinghast courses. I've never been a huge fan of Roanoke but have heard George's work has been well received. My brother in law lived in Harrisonburg for many years so, I've played Longview quite a bit. Not my favorite but the George 9 is by far the best 9 on property.

Good to see another LG fan here on the board. I haven't managed to get myself onto Kinloch yet (I've played Hermitage a bunch of times... it's right across the street ;-). The George 9 at Salisbury CC is the best of the three. Providence is one of my favorite places to play, and of course he designed the course at First Tee Chesterfield (Kinloch for Kids).

I need to find a way to get on to Ballyhack.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Good to see another LG fan here on the board. I haven't managed to get myself onto Kinloch yet (I've played Hermitage a bunch of times... it's right across the street ;-). The George 9 at Salisbury CC is the best of the three. Providence is one of my favorite places to play, and of course he designed the course at First Tee Chesterfield (Kinloch for Kids).

I need to find a way to get on to Ballyhack.

I used to live across the street from where Ballyhack now sits.  We left the Roanoke area as it was just getting under construction.  I've never played it but some of my regular playing partners say it's underrated.  They were having some serious financial issues until the property sold about 2 years ago.  The original ownership group limited membership to only those owning property at the club.  A lot of folks were willing to join, even given the $10,000 membership rates.  But forcing them to buy property in order to become a member was more than a lot of people were willing to do.  The new ownership group has changed the parameters of membership and they seem to be doing much better.  

A young man from my home club caddied at Kinloch for several years while in college.  He has pictures of himself on Facebook while caddying at Kinloch for Payton Manning, Jodie Meeks and Lawrence Taylor.  I've never gotten to play it but have walked around the place with him a couple of times.  It looks absolutely phenomenal.

• 2 months later...

This week is at Trinity Forest in Dallas. A true links course. It's an excellent design. My only fear is that the tour is watering the hell out of it to slow things down which is going to affect how it plays. It's a much better test if its firm and fast.

I almost got to play it last year on a bachelor trip but I couldn't talk the group into a $300-$400 round. It's too bad because me and one other guy on the trip are still regretting not playing it to this day. 

Link to the course's website:  https://trinityforestgc.com/

This week is at Trinity Forest in Dallas. A true links course. It's an excellent design. My only fear is that the tour is watering the hell out of it to slow things down which is going to affect how it plays. It's a much better test if its firm and fast.

I almost got to play it last year on a bachelor trip but I couldn't talk the group into a $300-$400 round. It's too bad because me and one other guy on the trip are still regretting not playing it to this day.

Link to the course's website: https://trinityforestgc.com/

I'm super jelly, pards! Be sure to take some pics.

Earlier this week I watched the Geoff Ogilvy videos highlighting some of the interesting Coore/Crenshaw design features. The 35K sq/ft double green on #3/#11 is mind boggling.

BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS

I'm super jelly, pards! Be sure to take some pics.

Earlier this week I watched the Geoff Ogilvy videos highlighting some of the interesting Coore/Crenshaw design features. The 35K sq/ft double green on #3/#11 is mind boggling.

Man I'm not there but sure wish I was. I meant that the tour is there this week. 

I saw that video too! Ogilvy knows his stuff. His interview on the fried egg podcast was really good too. 

Link to the course's website: https://trinityforestgc.com/

With all due respect doesn't a links course have to be by a large body of water?

Wouldn't this be a faux links course?

How about Shinnecock next month? Can we all agree that it's a brilliant golf course?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

From Wiki:

Links courses tend to be on, or at least very near to, a coast, and the term is typically associated with coastal courses, often amid dunes, with few water hazards and few, if any, trees. This reflects both the nature of the scenery where the sport happened to originate and the fact that only limited resources were available to golf course architects at the time and any moving of soil had to be done by hand, so it was kept to a minimum. Even today, some links courses do not employ a greens staff, use only basic machinery such as hole cutters without boards resulting in a hole that is cut unevenly, and use grazing animals to keep the grass cropped

The 18th hole at the Old Head Golf Links on the Old Head of Kinsale

Although the term links is often considered synonymous with any golf course, few golf courses have all of the design elements of true links courses, including being built on linksland.[citation needed] The presence of a seaside location does not guarantee a links golf course.[citation needed] Many famous courses that claim to be links do not have all of the necessary characteristics (e.g., Pebble Beach Golf Links, Old Head Golf Links at Kinsale, The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island).[citation needed] On the other hand, some courses located hundreds of miles from a coast can have all of the characteristics of a seaside links except for proximity to water.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

With all due respect doesn't a links course have to be by a large body of water?

Wouldn't this be a faux links course?

How about Shinnecock next month? Can we all agree that it's a brilliant golf course?

This is correct. Or at least mostly. "Mostly coastal sand dunes and sometimes parkland."  Dunes, undulating surfaces, and a sandy soil that allows you to run the ball along the ground are its main defining features. The coastline just makes that readily available.

I guess that I meant that it will PLAY as a links course. If the Tour doesn't mess it up too much anyway. Which I have a feeling they will.

Hell yes btw! Shinnecock is a great golf course! 

By definition - Yup!

While I suppose you can have a links-style course inland, without the coastal influences (including wind and weather) it's just not a "true links" course.

I'd argue that some non coastal courses are more of a "links style" course than some of the coastal courses that claim to be links. Trinity Forest for example is much more of a links style golf course then say Pebble Beach, Kiawah Island or Whistling Straights. And they are all either on a Coastline or sitting on Lake Michigan. 

An inland links course is called a heathland course.

While a true Links course must have some of the components mentioned above, it must also be set alongside a body of water.

Links style is one of those phrases probably used too much, usually any time the course isn't a parkland or have a ton of trees on it but it's also a phrase open to a lot of interpretation IMO.

As for Trinity Forest, I'm very interested to see it on television and how it's played and received by the players. It's going to play a bit different than the other courses, requiring more strategy and decision making.

As for Shinnecock, I can't wait. I was debating going up there to watch but would only consider going for the practice rounds.

It has always been my understanding that the term originated from the notion that the first golf courses were built on the land that "linked" arable soil to the sea. It was virtually useless for vegetative agriculture, save for offering a nice place (away from crops) for shepherds (the first golfers) to graze their sheep. Thus, the overwhelming majority of early courses for this silly game were built on grazing links.

To expand on the idea of "links" being otherwise useless land (or in the case of the recently referenced Trinity Forest - a $12MM municipal landfill remediation liability), I'm personally okay with modernizing the term if it helps appease current ecological narratives concerned about the disproportionate natural resource draw of golf facilities. And it seems clear to me the USGA is adamant about advancing the "eco-friendly + championship worthy" formula with their support and collaboration on facilities like Chambers Bay and Trinity Forest. Whether the facility is "true links" or merely "links style", it's a brand of golf I immensely enjoy playing _and_ observing. So if the modern links formula also helps preserve the future of the game, I'm all for it. Firm, fast and windy baby!

An inland links course is called a heathland course.

While a true Links course must have some of the components mentioned above, it must also be set alongside a body of water.

Links style is one of those phrases probably used too much, usually any time the course isn't a parkland or have a ton of trees on it but it's also a phrase open to a lot of interpretation IMO.

As for Trinity Forest, I'm very interested to see it on television and how it's played and received by the players. It's going to play a bit different than the other courses, requiring more strategy and decision making.

As for Shinnecock, I can't wait. I was debating going up there to watch but would only consider going for the practice rounds.

Agreed. "Links style" is definitely overused but it is the easiest way for most people to get an idea how the course plays. If I told my buddies that we were going to a heathland style course, they would look at me funny. haha  :blink:

And if we are really going to get this specific about it, there are hardly any "true links courses" outside of the British isles. Since true links style golf is played on linksland.

Hell even most of the Scottish courses are either parkland, heathland, mooreland or a combo of one of those and links. 

Definitions for any wondering:

Heathlands are lowland areas dominated by colorful heather, gorse and bracken. Much like moorland, the soils are acidic and nutrient-poor, but unlike the water-logged moors, heaths have light and sandy soils.

Linkslands is any rough grassy area between the sea(beach) and the land. The soil is sandy, acid and nutrient poor. The word links itself is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word 'hlinc', of about 931 AD, meaning a ridge.

In my head "links golf" means that the game can be easily played on the ground due to sandy turf that drains easily and produces very dry conditions. The courses usually lack trees or have very few. This leads to very windy conditions which also farther encourage keeping the ball low. The turf and style of play encouraged is really what links style golf means to me. 

For example, I know that Sand Hills is nowhere close to an ocean but that is a links golf course. At least in my squirrelly mind. 

I've never thought of Pebble as a Links course. At least not in its current form. Same for many others that happen to be on a coastline. 

Here is list of all the "true links" courses in the world. It took me a while to find this again, but I knew it was out there somewhere on interwebs. The US has 5 of the 246. 3 of which are at Bandon Dunes. 210 of the 246 are in the British Isles. https://migrantgolfer.com/the-true-links-courses-of-the-world/

In my head "links golf" means that the game can be easily played on the ground due to sandy turf that drains easily and produces very dry conditions. The courses usually lack trees or have very few. This leads to very windy conditions which also farther encourage keeping the ball low. The turf and style of play encouraged is really what links style golf means to me. 

For example, I know that Sand Hills is nowhere close to an ocean but that is a links golf course. At least in my squirrelly mind. 

I've never thought of Pebble as a Links course. At least not in its current form. Same for many others that happen to be on a coastline. 

Here is list of all the "true links" courses in the world. It took me a while to find this again, but I knew it was out there somewhere on interwebs. The US has 5 of the 246. 3 of which are at Bandon Dunes. 210 of the 246 are in the British Isles. https://migrantgolfer.com/the-true-links-courses-of-the-world/

Thanks Undershooter - I always learn something new from your "links" ;)

Good list of the links courses but I always thought NGLA was links as well as Chambers Bay. And of course Cabot Cliffs is on there as well now. But it's correct that North America doesn't have many true links.

Thanks Undershooter - I always learn something new from your "links" ;)

You're a very punny man!  :D

Glad to be of any help. MGS and its members have taught me a lot over the years so I'm happy to do my small part.

Good list of the links courses but I always thought NGLA was links as well as Chambers Bay. And of course Cabot Cliffs is on there as well now. But it's correct that North America doesn't have many true links.

Chamber's isn't technically on the coast line. There is also A TREE on the property lol. They also had to move a bunch of sand around to make it what it is today. Thus the dunes are man made and not of nature. Plus there are more elevation changes that what's on most ''true links" courses. 

In my mind it is 100% a links course though. Because it plays as such. 

NGLA I know/remember less about so I'm not sure there. I'd guess there is couple trees somewhere or maybe it's not technically touching the coastline. It's probably something nitpicky. It definitely plays as a links course. 

Edit: quick google maps search and it looks like NGLA isn't on the coastline exactly. That may be it. 

I'd argue that some non coastal courses are more of a "links style" course than some of the coastal courses that claim to be links. Trinity Forest for example is much more of a links style golf course then say Pebble Beach, Kiawah Island or Whistling Straights. And they are all either on a Coastline or sitting on Lake Michigan.

Whistling was sited as a source of controversy in one of the articles that I read attempting to define what a links course is. It's on the coast and has a links feel but they moved so much dirt.

I'm a huge Pete Dye fan but I'm not a big Whistling Straits fan. I was surprised at how easy it played when I got on it. It's visually intimidating for an amateur but there's tons of room on every hole. They've yet to have a windy day for a tournament there and it needs wind.

I actually prefer the other course on that sight - The Irish. The course seven miles to the South and inland by a few mikes, Blackwolf Run Championship course, is my favorite course of all time. Hands down.....

Sadly you can't often play it because it's an amalgam of two courses.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

NGLA is set on a body of water. The right side of the Eighteenth is coastline as well.

Chambers is likewise, it's on the coast of Puget Sound.

Whether there are trees or not, or whether dirt is moved doesn't affect whether it's links or not. I mean, that list has Old Mac on it which only has one green near the water and multiple trees. And a course is not necessarily links because it's set on a body of water.

I think it's a good list but not authoritative or complete.

Really though, these are just ways of characterizing courses. Wide, dry and fast courses, preferably on fescue, where the wind comes into play and strategy and options are at a premium is solid, enjoyable, adventurous golf to me.

NGLA is set on a body of water. The right side of the Eighteenth is coastline as well.

Chambers is likewise, it's on the coast of Puget Sound.

Whether there are trees or not, or whether dirt is moved doesn't affect whether it's links or not. I mean, that list has Old Mac on it which only has one green near the water and multiple trees. And a course is not necessarily links because it's set on a body of water.

I think it's a good list but not authoritative or complete.

Really though, these are just ways of characterizing courses. Wide, dry and fast courses, preferably on fescue, where the wind comes into play and strategy and options are at a premium is solid, enjoyable, adventurous golf to me.

They are not true links bc they are not technically on linksland. That is the main qualification of true links.

Chambers has mutliple reasons. Yes its on the Sound but that's not the coastline, its a bay. There are massive elevation changes there as well which were manufactured by them moving dirt. They don't move much dirt on true links courses.

The tree thing was somewhat of a joke btw. Which is why i added "lol." 

I remember reading multiple articles about why Chambers wasn't a true links years ago before the US Open. I'm sure they are still online. 

Again, I don't remember as much about NGLA but it's also on a bay/river and never actually touches the coastline/ocean I believe.

Seeing or overlooking the ocean/sea at some point is a qualification for a "true links."

Old Mac is on linksland and does have a couple of holes that overlooks the Ocean. Thus is counts as a true links.

And I never said the list was the end all/ be all but I've seen that same list or similar ones in multiple books and on multiple websites. Just because a course isn't a "true links" doesn't mean that it isn't really a links course. As I've already stated. 

I wasn't the one who wanted to nitpick about it or even bring up what a true links was remember. 

Whistling was sited as a source of controversy in one of the articles that I read attempting to define what a links course is. It's on the coast and has a links feel but they moved so much dirt.

I'm a huge Pete Dye fan but I'm not a big Whistling Straits fan. I was surprised at how easy it played when I got on it. It's visually intimidating for an amateur but there's tons of room on every hole. They've yet to have a windy day for a tournament there and it needs wind.

I actually prefer the other course on that sight - The Irish. The course seven miles to the South and inland by a few mikes, Blackwolf Run Championship course, is my favorite course of all time. Hands down.....

Sadly you can't often play it because it's an amalgam of two courses.

I like Pete as well but W.S. is definitely somewhere where less would've been more. They just tried way too hard with it.

Blackwolf Run is a much better course imo. Fantastic track and a well deserved favorite. 

Archived