Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tour Experience Golf (TXG) on YouTube

I do have one video request Matt.  When I'm doing my fitting, can you make sure that target green is like 220 yards and not 300 yards, continually falling short of it, will be quite discouraging...LOL  And maybe 150 yards for the 6 iron test....just sayin  :huh:

Sorry to dispell any myths here that all of us internet golfers hit 320 yard drives and 180 yard 8 irons.   :D

:lol:  That can be arranged.

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I saw one indoors shot video (about hybrids) where the screen shot revealed about 240 carry yardage.

In another video (featuring drivers) I think I saw the same 240 carry yardage.

In general terms, I think if the game is played indoors and reliant on machines for information about shots, then indoor videos makes sense.

But for helping with real golf shots  played out side, I prefer on course videos. For example, on a golf course  most hybrid, iron, wedge shots etc... are played from less than ideal lies, which cannot be duplicated from a level synthetic turf lie.

There's definitely value to both concepts. If we're able to provide value and objective information using on-course tests, we will definitely consider doing them. From a production standpoint it does present some challenges however. My concern is the issue of showing ball flight data and flight tracer with an on-course test, I just think there's so much value to that from not only an informational standpoint, but also for quality of viewing experience. Long story short – would love to do some on-course videos, we just don't want them to be the same as everything else on YouTube in that space.

I think I saw one indoors shot video (about hybrids) where the screen shot revealed about 240 carry yardage.

In another video (featuring drivers) I think I saw the same 240 carry yardage.

In general terms, I think if the game is played indoors and reliant on machines for information about shots, then indoor videos makes sense.

But for helping with real golf shots  played out side, I prefer on course videos. For example, on a golf course  most hybrid, iron, wedge shots etc... are played from less than ideal lies, which cannot be duplicated from a level synthetic turf lie.

I hear you, I'm not disputing the validity of outdoor testing.  It just doesn't translate well onto the level of video camera's most of the reviewers use.   I find the on course testing that Crossfield does,  of no help to me at all.  So for viewing purposes, I much prefer the indoor videos.  But for personal experience,  yeah outdoor testing with a LM is probably the ideal situation.  

Different strokes for different strokes, there are plenty of both out there for everyone to find what they enjoy the most. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

There's definitely value to both concepts. If we're able to provide value and objective information using on-course tests, we will definitely consider doing them. From a production standpoint it does present some challenges however. My concern is the issue of showing ball flight data and flight tracer with an on-course test, I just think there's so much value to that from not only an informational standpoint, but also for quality of viewing experience. Long story short – would love to do some on-course videos, we just don't want them to be the same as everything else on YouTube in that space.

Perfectly said, exactly what I was trying to get across.

@Topline. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to gain from watching the videos. Sounds like you want to get more of a course management/how to play kind of experience. TXG is more about how equipment will impact results. Kind of like Crossfields recent shaft videos. We all agree driving range swings don't always translate to the courses and taking too many swings will allow players to adapt to equipment as well as biases to what they thing the equipment will do.

But controlled environments will allow exploration of thing like workability of blades vs GI, impact of grip size, how toe hang impacts the putting stroke. Fitting helps a player play better but in no way guarantees lower scores. Poor course management, changing swings based on prior results, lack of confidence are all factors we face on a real course. Fitting just helps eliminate one variable.

My suggestion for you to watch the TXG videos was to look at how equipment changes can influence results and in more depth than Crossfield does in his videos.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@Topline. I guess it all depends on what you are trying to gain from watching the videos. Sounds like you want to get more of a course management/how to play kind of experience. TXG is more about how equipment will impact results. Kind of like Crossfields recent shaft videos. We all agree driving range swings don't always translate to the courses and taking too many swings will allow players to adapt to equipment as well as biases to what they thing the equipment will do.

But controlled environments will allow exploration of thing like workability of blades vs GI, impact of grip size, how toe hang impacts the putting stroke. Fitting helps a player play better but in no way guarantees lower scores. Poor course management, changing swings based on prior results, lack of confidence are all factors we face on a real course. Fitting just helps eliminate one variable.

My suggestion for you to watch the TXG videos was to look at how equipment changes can influence results and in more depth than Crossfield does in his videos.

Nailed it. TXG is all about the fitting process and equipment. And Rightfully so.

If you're looking for general golf and swing tips than you'll have to look elsewhere and there's nothing wrong with that.

Yup, well said. And @Topline, I would add that your thoughts are quite interesting and certainly valid. Part of what I've always wanted to achieve through my involvement with the channel is finding a way to either present something new, or present something that's already been done but do it better. The above comments are correct in saying that you're probably looking for something that isn't currently offered on our channel, but what you've said is getting the wheels turning in my brain in terms of how we can tackle concepts like that and in some way revolutionize the way on-course testing is done.

Matt, I think another way to look at it is how to you convey the message to someone that doesn't believe that LM technology and fitting will help them especially when it doesn't translate to the course. For example When you watch the videos and see the shot counts and tracers from prior shots we know you aren't showing us every swing and eliminating some of them. The obvious question would be why especially when those shots count when I am on the course. Maybe something to add to a fitting 101 video

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

And there's a reason that Ian has his customers come back in for adjustments after they get their fitted equipment out of on the course for a few rounds. There are absolutely cases where tweaks need to be made when the clubs are subjected to things like wind and course conditions.

Matt, I think another way to look at it is how to you convey the message to someone that doesn't believe that LM technology and fitting will help them especially when it doesn't translate to the course. For example When you watch the videos and see the shot counts and tracers from prior shots we know you aren't showing us every swing and eliminating some of them. The obvious question would be why especially when those shots count when I am on the course. Maybe something to add to a fitting 101 video

Yup for sure. We've touched on it briefly once or twice, but in a nutshell we eliminate a shot if it has nothing to offer in terms of objective data (pure human error, not caused by equipment being tested and would therefore skew the results in an inaccurate direction). Also there are times that we don't show shots for video time purposes, other production related concerns, etc.

I should add that's part of the reason we want to get a swing robot for the studio – would certainly take the pressure off me on some of these tests!  :lol:

And there's a reason that Ian has his customers come back in for adjustments after they get their fitted equipment out of on the course for a few rounds. There are absolutely cases where tweaks need to be made when the clubs are subjected to things like wind and course conditions.

Good point.

Yup for sure. We've touched on it briefly once or twice, but in a nutshell we eliminate a shot if it has nothing to offer in terms of objective data (pure human error, not caused by equipment being tested and would therefore skew the results in an inaccurate direction). Also there are times that we don't show shots for video time purposes, other production related concerns, etc.

I should add that's part of the reason we want to get a swing robot for the studio – would certainly take the pressure off me on some of these tests! :lol:

Thanks, I personally understand the reason but for people that question the benefits of a fitting it may appear odd. That is why a 101 kind of video might provide a level starting point.

And about the robot, you definitely seem like one and it is amazing how much performance you get out of that effortless swing. I know you have said you have been working on your swing, are you doing that during the time you are spending at TXG or are you doing it outside on your own? The changes and results are definitely noticeable.

Thanks, I personally understand the reason but for people that question the benefits of a fitting it may appear odd. That is why a 101 kind of video might provide a level starting point.

And about the robot, you definitely seem like one and it is amazing how much performance you get out of that effortless swing. I know you have said you have been working on your swing, are you doing that during the time you are spending at TXG or are you doing it outside on your own? The changes and results are definitely noticeable.

I appreciate that! Although as Rob will see when we play this Sunday, my swing is not quite as robotic on the golf course unfortunately. Has been improving the last couple weeks, have spent a lot of time at my home club on the range and course. I've had many, many years of over-hinging in the back swing and having too much wrist angle in the downswing as well. Now as I work to reduce that the results have definitely been there, really reducing the 'big miss' type shots so far.

I hear you, I'm not disputing the validity of outdoor testing.  It just doesn't translate well onto the level of video camera's most of the reviewers use.   I find the on course testing that Crossfield does,  of no help to me at all.  So for viewing purposes, I much prefer the indoor videos.  But for personal experience,  yeah outdoor testing with a LM is probably the ideal situation.  

Different strokes for different strokes, there are plenty of both out there for everyone to find what they enjoy the most. 

My biggest problem with on-course tests is they fall into results-based observations. This ball landed here, so the club must be better because it went 5 yards farther, or 3 yards closer to the hole. Hitting indoors allows you to hit more shots and group shots together to get a more statistically accurate view of what the club does (this is the MGS way). You can also eliminate outliers, something that is much more difficult to do while on the course (unless of course you take liberal mulligans).

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I appreciate that! Although as Rob will see when we play this Sunday, my swing is not quite as robotic on the golf course unfortunately. Has been improving the last couple weeks, have spent a lot of time at my home club on the range and course. I've had many, many years of over-hinging in the back swing and having too much wrist angle in the downswing as well. Now as I work to reduce that the results have definitely been there, really reducing the 'big miss' type shots so far.

Since you're having to move up a set of tee blocks to accommodate us, I think you'll be just fine on Sunday! :)

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

#swingtwins

I don't think that anyone has or will disagree.that you have to actually go practice real lies and real situations to get better at golf. I do think that your observations on how technology and fitting can help position a player to make it easier to accomplish the desired shot is a bit outdated. Technological advances help us make better decisions regarding the equipment we put in our bags and can more easily show potential performance improvements. But I guess we have to agree to disagree on the benefits on technology regarding club design and fitting.

How about some golf shots with hockey sticks in honor of the Stanley Cup? Would love to see the spin rate numbers you can generate with a mean slap shot. A little game out of that could make for an interesting mini segment.

So if my slapper hits 74ish (when I can stay on my skates) what does that mean for my drive?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Ok so I am a bit late to the game but I started watching videos from TXG last night. I'm still going this channel is so informative!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Ok so I am a bit late to the game but I started watching videos from TXG last night. I'm still going this channel is so informative!

Find a long block of time, grab several of your favorite beverages and sit back and enjoy a marathon of TXG. It sure beats a the marathons of In the Heat of the Night that seem to be on every Sunday. Ha

Find a long block of time, grab several of your favorite beverages and sit back and enjoy a marathon of TXG. It sure beats a the marathons of In the Heat of the Night that seem to be on every Sunday. Ha

Well I know my plan tonight then!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

If TXG had a Webcam that livestreamed fittings all day I don't know if I'd ever get any work done

This might be the mygolfspyest post ever :-)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

If TXG had a Webcam that livestreamed fittings all day I don't know if I'd ever get any work done

Oh man, that is a scary thought!

I just watched my first TXG video and WOW I'm hooked like a bass on a fat Junebug!   Great stuff guys and I'll be checking out more videos asap.

P.S. Rob I can't wait to see the results of your fitting in June.  Man are you in for a treat!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I just watched my first TXG video and WOW I'm hooked like a bass on a fat Junebug!   Great stuff guys and I'll be checking out more videos asap.

P.S. Rob I can't wait to see the results of your fitting in June.  Man are you in for a treat!

yeah, good news on two fronts OG,  you now have a backlog of great content to watch from Ian, Matt and others.  And two you won't have to wait much longer to see my fitting.  As long as i don't get cold feet like a groom and run away from the fitting bay...  LOL...Just kidding, no chance in the world of that happening!

yeah, good news on two fronts OG,  you now have a backlog of great content to watch from Ian, Matt and others.  And two you won't have to wait much longer to see my fitting.  As long as i don't get cold feet like a groom and run away from the fitting bay...  LOL...Just kidding, no chance in the world of that happening!

I was nervous at my fitting however once I saw vast improvement on that big screen, I was salivating like a skinny dog on a fat steak.  ;)

Cleveland

I was nervous at my fitting however once I saw vast improvement on that big screen, I was salivating like a skinny dog on a fat steak.  ;)

yeah, but was yours broadcast to the whole World Wide Web  :D

yeah, but was yours broadcast to the whole World Wide Web :D

Nope. Yours will definitely be more visible. 

Cleveland

Archived