Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Tour Experience Golf (TXG) on YouTube

I watched the fairway metal loft video.Please allow me to offer my opinion and, or, some constructive criticism.

Unless I missed it, the video made no mention of current fairway metal head size, whether it be the TM model you were testing, or any other popular brand. For several years now I believe every new fairway metal on the market has a head size of about 200CC or larger. This massive size, combined with the 42" to 43.5" graphite shafts that are common for current fairway metals, makes the clubs ideally suited to tee box play.

If the ground lie is level, and sitting up well, these fairway metals may be played consistently well off the ground as well.

Perhaps you disagree with the above, because the theme of your video seemed to be more about swing speed (and loft appropriate for that swing speed) more so than it was about the relevance of head size.

I believe the hybrids of recent years, from every brand, which are typically about 150CC head size with 40" to 42" shafts, fill the roll which fairway metals formerly did, that is a sensible long yardage club with a head size and shaft length well suited to play shots from the ground, including sloped or other less than ideal ground lies.

I do agree with you that if a player wants to have a current 200CC plus head size fairway metal in his bag, to play off the ground, he will be able to play consistently better shots with an 18* to 20* loft than he would with a 15* loft. But I think that's more about the massive head size being a challenge to hit off a less than ideal lie than it is about the player's swing speed.

All factors considered, my suggestion is to recommend the large fairway metals for their use off of tee boxes, which is great for all skill level players. And for shots to be played off the ground, including the less than ideal lies which usually happen, the smaller headed , shorter shafted hybrid may be the the most sensible choice.

I notice Tour players often swing their 3-metal off of tee boxes. From the ground they swing 3-metal only if the lie is ideal, but usually swing a 5 metal fairway (if they carry one), or a hybrid. I see no reason why slower swinging amateur players would not do the same.

Head size for the M4 fw they used are 178 Cc and lower. I also believe they have said before that head design of FW and hybrids are different so not every player can just opt for a hybrid to hit off the ground and a 3 wood for the tee.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Head size for the M4 fw they used are 178 Cc and lower. I also believe they have said before that head design of FW and hybrids are different so not every player can just opt for a hybrid to hit off the ground and a 3 wood for the tee.

They also did a comparison of hybrids and fairway woods.  If I remember correctly fairway woods have a deeper center of gravity and make is slightly easier to get the ball in the air with more backspin resulting in straighter shots.  I think people need to look more at the TXG videos as a whole than to pick apart a specific point or even one standalone video.   

Fitting is about addressing each players needs individually and determining their particular goals and objectives.  TXG is giving each person that watches these videos some insight and education on decisions they should be making.  There isn't a simple answer to what a person should put in their bag.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Fitting is about addressing each players needs individually and determining their particular goals and objectives. TXG is giving each person that watches these videos some insight and education on decisions they should be making. There isn't a simple answer to what a person should put in their bag.

Exactly! My set up is gonna be different than yours because we play the game different

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Think Rob shanked one into a camera by now?

Nah, cameras are behind him. I think we need to set up an over/under on when he starts to change out his clubs.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nah, cameras are behind him. I think we need to set up an over/under on when he starts to change out his clubs.

Don't count out the ricochet off a hitting bay support pole.

New Titleist woods and srixon irons get launched this fall, so probably October at the latest.

Change for which number if times? He may be on set two come fall releases lol

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

He ripped the ball yesterday pretty well, so I doubt it!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I can confirm, all camera gear is intact and unblemished. Rob was a trooper today, we had him hit an awful lot of balls but I think he would agree it was a very worthwhile session. Iron fitting video should be up on Wednesday morning.

I can confirm, all camera gear is intact and unblemished. Rob was a trooper today, we had him hit an awful lot of balls but I think he would agree it was a very worthwhile session. Iron fitting video should be up on Wednesday morning.

Looking forward to that video

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thoroughly enjoy these videos and learned a great deal as well. Wish there were fitting centers near by that were as detailed oriented or had a lot of options to try, always wanted and still in search of a good fitter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

LOL...I actually asked Matt during the round yesterday if they had insurance on that thing.  He laughed and said nobody has  broken it yet, I doubt you will.

Actually GC Quad camera was about a foot or so to the front right of the ball..  But it lived to see another day.  I think I did send a tee backwards into one of the lights, on the driver swing, It made a loud noise I wondered what I had broke...ha

Change for which number if times? He may be on set two come fall releases lol

I doubt it, but the results (which I can't reveal) will be interesting to see the reactions here. 

He ripped the ball yesterday pretty well, so I doubt it!

Thanks buddy, I should have saved some of the for today!

I can't thank you and Ian enough for an incredible day.  It totally exceeded my expectations from the experience.  I is this where I'm  supposed  to say you look taller on TV... :P

This should save you some editing time

https://bennyhillifier.com

We got a good laugh out of that yesterday talking about it during the round.   i'm thinking he could also use the three ring circus music as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm looking forward to seeing you on the video big star!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Rob going to be a hit for the TXG channel cant wait to see it

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Rob going to be a hit for the TXG channel cant wait to see it

Well, I'll just say this, i'm prepared for all comments, the good and the bad...ha

Well, I'll just say this, i'm prepared for all comments, the good and the bad...ha

I won't say anything bad

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

A “Star” in the making

Rick

Left Hand, 

A “Star” in the making

This is going to be cool watching someone we “know” go thru this fitting process.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Enjoyed the video today and the intro to the upcoming videos with a self described club tinkerer.......come on Matt,  this guys picture is in the dictionary next to the words Club ho!!!!    I like the spin they are putting on the videos Rob being an unknown who has clubs that may be close to adequate with just potential tweaks being necessary.  

Good I hope we aren't too rough on you lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

It's the internet, of course you'll be

I won't say anything bad

Spoken like a guy who realizes who's on the testing selectuon committee. Ha

This is going to be cool watching someone we “know” go thru this fitting process.

I don't know. You guys might tell me to go to WRX or THP, that you don't want to be associated with me after seeing it.

Enjoyed the video today and the intro to the upcoming videos with a self described club tinkerer.......come on Matt, this guys picture is in the dictionary next to the words Club ho!!!! I like the spin they are putting on the videos Rob being an unknown who has clubs that may be close to adequate with just potential tweaks being necessary.

Oh really. I watched until a few of the live questions. Then I had to get on the road to get over there. I'll have to go watch the end. Ha

Spoken like a guy who realizes who's on the testing selectuon committee. Ha

I don't know. You guys might tell me to go to WRX or THP, that you don't want to be associated with me after seeing it.

Oh really. I watched until a few of the live questions. Then I had to get on the road to get over there. I'll have to go watch the end. Ha

Haha I had no idea good to know though.

Bryson DeChambeau

Breaking news: ( :lol: ) Rob's iron fit video is going to go up today. Burned some midnight oil working on it, in all seriousness I think the content of that session is going to be extremely valuable for players of all levels. Some of the discussion on swing dynamics and club performance is about as good as anything we've offered on the channel so far.

Breaking news: ( :lol: ) Rob's iron fit video is going to go up today. Burned some midnight oil working on it, in all seriousness I think the content of that session is going to be extremely valuable for players of all levels. Some of the discussion on swing dynamics and club performance is about as good as anything we've offered on the channel so far.

Great....I can't wait to check it out.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Breaking news: ( :lol: ) Rob's iron fit video is going to go up today. Burned some midnight oil working on it, in all seriousness I think the content of that session is going to be extremely valuable for players of all levels. Some of the discussion on swing dynamics and club performance is about as good as anything we've offered on the channel so far.

Good stuff. Can't wait to watch Ian identify the perfect set and for Rob to respond that he has that exact setup back at his office in backup bag number 27.

Now I am going to have to avoid this thread until after I watch the video tonight. I don't want any spoilers!

RE: Why in the Bag? Bryson D. video...

Guys...with all due respect I think you're misinformed on the one length/single length irons. Typically, most sets come in 5-P; rare to have a 4iron specifically for the reasons you described in the video..they do make them but don't sell many and this is also a reason that Cobra has created the one length hybrids this year...

Although you can get wedges in the same length as your 7/8 iron (however your set is based) it is not very common due to the feel desired with the short shots.

The requirement to have a "fast" swing speed to make up for the lack of length in the 5 or 6 iron is a common fallacy. You ought to check out the research and design that Tom Wishon has done; he's a preeminent clubmaker and has utilized the 'spring' effect and COR principles to ensure that your gaps between clubs are consistent and relevant.

I'd be interested to see a full side-by-side comparison with a mid/high handicapper (who these are typically targeted to; Bryson D is a very rare exception to the rule) of a set of one/single length to standard length. How many high/mid HC golfers do you see consistently hitting 5 or even 6 iron consistently with low dispersion? Most everyone can hit 8/9/P but where you get a real advantage in the one length/single length is the 5/6/7...

Would have been nice to hear about the grips Bryson D. uses as well...along with the irons that is a significant feature of his clubs. I realize at the end it was touched upon and you didn't have time to get into it but I think skipping that part was a mistake... maybe there is a grip video that I missed?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

RE: Why in the Bag? Bryson D. video...

Guys...with all due respect I think you're misinformed on the one length/single length irons. Typically, most sets come in 5-P; rare to have a 4iron specifically for the reasons you described in the video..they do make them but don't sell many and this is also a reason that Cobra has created the one length hybrids this year...

Although you can get wedges in the same length as your 7/8 iron (however your set is based) it is not very common due to the feel desired with the short shots.

The requirement to have a "fast" swing speed to make up for the lack of length in the 5 or 6 iron is a common fallacy. You ought to check out the research and design that Tom Wishon has done; he's a preeminent clubmaker and has utilized the 'spring' effect and COR principles to ensure that your gaps between clubs are consistent and relevant.

I'd be interested to see a full side-by-side comparison with a mid/high handicapper (who these are typically targeted to; Bryson D is a very rare exception to the rule) of a set of one/single length to standard length. How many high/mid HC golfers do you see consistently hitting 5 or even 6 iron consistently with low dispersion? Most everyone can hit 8/9/P but where you get a real advantage in the one length/single length is the 5/6/7...

Would have been nice to hear about the grips Bryson D. uses as well...along with the irons that is a significant feature of his clubs. I realize at the end it was touched upon and you didn't have time to get into it but I think skipping that part was a mistake... maybe there is a grip video that I missed?

StrokerAce - I think the last thing that Ian is is misinformed.

Heck our own beloved MGS did a test/article on the gapping issues with single length irons.  It's the side by side you so desire.

https://mygolfspy.com/2017-cobra-one-length-test-a-closer-look-at-gapping/

Regarding you point about Wishon using COR and Spring effect to deal with gapping issues, that is precisely what Ian mentioned.  He stated that the F7 one length irons did not have different faces throughout the set, which causes issues.  Ian went on to mention that Cobra did make changes for the F8 One length and gapping is improved with that release

Not going to get into an individual back-and-forth with any other spies...

Since I play single length irons (not the Cobra's) I just shared some of my thoughts on what I heard in the video compared to my experience; you can take them for what they're worth or ignore them.  

Good times.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Archived