I can agree that he has struggled putting, but I think the the driver is the key to him winning. He can play well using 2 iron and 3 wood of the tee. At Augusta, he may be able to get around with 2 iron 3 wood, but I don't believe he can win without Driver on some of the longer par 4's. What I do like is that we are discussing Phil and Tiger like we used to do back in the day. There are some younger guys as well that will have something to say about the Masters as well. It will be interesting for sure. There are 15-20 guys or more that are really playing well, and any of them could put a weekend together in Georgia. There's also a few others who aren't playing well, but are just off a little that could win as well. JS, Justin Rose, Patrick reed. It will be fun for sure.

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Free hat, Free Budweiser & Free Pizza....all day at #16. And I got to park just 60 yards from the main gate!     Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I know it's a week early but I can't help but getting in the jab that there will be twice as many players capable of winning the Masters at the Valspar as there will be at..... the Masters.   One of

Lets take a step back and realize that TW a year ago told us he was not sure if he would ever play competitive golf agin, fast forward about a year and he is tied for 2nd place going into Sunday, for

Posted Images

I can agree that he has struggled putting, but I think the the driver is the key to him winning. He can play well using 2 iron and 3 wood of the tee. At Augusta, he may be able to get around with 2 iron 3 wood, but I don't believe he can win without Driver on some of the longer par 4's. What I do like is that we are discussing Phil and Tiger like we used to do back in the day. There are some younger guys as well that will have something to say about the Masters as well. It will be interesting for sure. There are 15-20 guys or more that are really playing well, and any of them could put a weekend together in Georgia. There's also a few others who aren't playing well, but are just off a little that could win as well. JS, Justin Rose, Patrick reed. It will be fun for sure.

Absolutely - and he or anyone else will need to hit driver well to win, no doubt. I think he hit driver plenty well enough, when he hit it at Valspar, to win anywhere. His tee ball, regardless of club choice, was not the problem on Sunday. He was a tad off with his approach shots and his speed on putts.

Not bad for a guy who hasn't been in contention in four years plus. I find it hard to believe that he won't win soon.

Of course winning a major is another matter especially winning one at Augusta or a US Open where three putt avoidance becomes an exaggerated attribute.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Kenny and I have had this discussion before - I went back to Tiger's last Thursday her like season 2009.

His strokes gained per round average was an obscene 3.7. By any measure except fairways hit and TV personality comments he was the best ball striker in the world at that time - ball striking includes driving - he was a great driver even though he missed fairways because he put the ball in position to score - when a fairway needed to be hit, par 5, long par 4, he hit it.

Yes, he has been great in Strokes Gained, not only tee-to-green, but putting as well.  Look at his stats; he has always been in the top 25, many times in the top 5.  The years he is not, were the years he was hurt.

So, explain to me, if he is a great driver of the ball (and I agree that he has been quite good the last few tournaments), WHY didn't he hit driver on #18 on Sunday when he absolutely needed a birdie for a chance to win??  Hitting the 2i off the tee told me that he doesn't have the confidence yet to pull off the shot when he needs it.  

He will have a much better time hitting driver with the wider fairways at Bayhill.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

From what I watched and remember, he didn't hit Driver at all on the back nine Sunday. It did look like he pulled a bunch of irons shots as well. Hitting greens keeps you in the game, but hitting it close and making the putt is how you win. His game does seem to be at a point where he could win. It's just a matter of he is t the dominant player he once was, and there's usually more than 1 pursuer in the tourneys nowadays, fending off 1 or 2 is tough, but keeping 5 or 6 away is tough for anyone. Maybe with Phil's win and Tiger playing well it will become the year of the old guys.

• Like 1

He hit driver on 11 and on 14

EVNRoll ER 5

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Ahh, ok. I knew he didn't hit it much, and I didn't see it at the time.

14 was about the toughest fairway to hit all week (back and forth with 6) and he piped it down the middle.

EVNRoll ER 5

They just were saying that Tiger is 90 out of 119 in strokes gained off the tee. That stat need to improve for him to win. Which I think is what we have all been sort of saying with out having data.

• Like 1