Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Valspar

revkev

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talk about moving the needle, check out ratings, no one aside from TW can produce these numbers.

VIEWERSHIP: Final RD coverage of @ValsparChamp on NBC (3-6p ET) earned a 5.11 Overnight rating. Highest-rated (non-major) PGA TOUR broadcast since 2013 Players Champ (5.7). Sunday's Final RD also highest-rated golf telecast (outside of the Masters) since 2015 PGA Champ (5.14).

Ratings for final round of 2017 Masters: 7.6

U.S. Open: 3.6

Open: 3.2

PGA: 3.6

2018 Valspar: 5.1

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was able to watch lost of the back 9 yesterday, and I don't think I ever saw Driver in his hands. If you look at the previous tourneys where he didn't fair so well it was because of the Driver, he will have to hit Driver at the Masters, and at the US Open, if he doesn't figure that club out he won't win, at the same time, as long as he Doesn't try to overpower the course he will have a shot at winning, but there are courses where he has to hit Driver and tjats the club that will keep him from winning.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Is Tiger a legend? No doubt. Is he the GOAT? Probably. Does he draw more fans in than every other player combined? Sure. Is he relevant when he's 25th or 30th? NO!! I'm so glad he had an awesome tournament this past weekend so the coverage was justifiable. I am NOT a tiger hater nor am I a tiger fan. When they show highlights of him saving par after a +1 or +2 day, come on really. I know there's a lot of tiger lovers out there (and plenty here) but try to understand our point of view here. I mean it's very very rare, if ever, you see a athlete come back after 4-5 years and compete like he has thus far. I have nothing but respect for the guy (as a golfer) but I want to watch a tournament, not tiger time. I know I'm gonna get “quoted” here and told how wrong I am and how much he has done for the sport and all that. So go ahead, let me have it.

CobraConnectChallenge3

IMG_0150.JPG

Free hat, Free Budweiser & Free Pizza....all day at #16. And I got to park just 60 yards from the main gate!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

attachicon.gifIMG_0150.JPG

Free hat, Free Budweiser & Free Pizza....all day at #16. And I got to park just 60 yards from the main gate!

Dilly, Dilly

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I still can't explain how much fun the Valspar was for me. I haven't watched that much golf in a row...along with replays....in forever! And what was even more interesting....my WIFE was watching and paying attention. She was honestly interested.... Tiger has done amazing things for the game and honestly, I was never a fan. I've changed my tune. I love the excitement! :-)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I still can't explain how much fun the Valspar was for me. I haven't watched that much golf in a row...along with replays....in forever! And what was even more interesting....my WIFE was watching and paying attention. She was honestly interested.... Tiger has done amazing things for the game and honestly, I was never a fan. I've changed my tune. I love the excitement! :-)

I can relate - my wife rushed home so that she could watch Sunday afternoon. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I was able to watch lost of the back 9 yesterday, and I don't think I ever saw Driver in his hands. If you look at the previous tourneys where he didn't fair so well it was because of the Driver, he will have to hit Driver at the Masters, and at the US Open, if he doesn't figure that club out he won't win, at the same time, as long as he Doesn't try to overpower the course he will have a shot at winning, but there are courses where he has to hit Driver and tjats the club that will keep him from winning.

Totally agree!  I am happy that he is back playing at an elite level, but a lot of players play at the elite level.  To win, Tiger has to hit driver.  I am at a loss as to why he hit his 2-iron stinger on #18 when he needed a birdie to get in a playoff.  Sure, he hit the fairway, but he had a much longer shot into a vary difficult green.  To me, he took birdie out of play with that shot.  He needed a driver to get into position to put the ball close to the hole.  It almost seemed like he didn't want to finish worse than 2nd, and if he got lucky, maybe he could get in a playoff.  That lack of confidence is something I haven't ever seen in Tiger.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Totally agree! I am happy that he is back playing at an elite level, but a lot of players play at the elite level. To win, Tiger has to hit driver. I am at a loss as to why he hit his 2-iron stinger on #18 when he needed a birdie to get in a playoff. Sure, he hit the fairway, but he had a much longer shot into a vary difficult green. To me, he took birdie out of play with that shot. He needed a driver to get into position to put the ball close to the hole. It almost seemed like he didn't want to finish worse than 2nd, and if he got lucky, maybe he could get in a playoff. That lack of confidence is something I haven't ever seen in Tiger.

I think that's the one club that he will need to fix. I also think that Phil had the same problem as this for the last couple years. They are plenty long, but having 8 iron versus 5 iron is a major difference at that level. Both of them are getting older, so finding the fairway with length is even more important. Their bodies can't take the constant hacking from the rough that these young guys can. 2 irons and 3 woods keep you in the tournament. As you said Driver gives him a really good chance to put it close with a wedge of some sort, 2 iron took trouble out of play for easy par, but left a long shot at birdie. T-2 is still a really good result. The next few months should be interesting.

I respectfully disagree

Putter is the club that has kept Tiger from winning. It has been since he stopped winning.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I respectfully disagree

Putter is the club that has kept Tiger from winning. It has been since he stopped winning.

I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement.   :)   Tiger has always been near the top in Strokes Gained Putting... when he has played most of a season.   I don't count the few starts that he had since his 5 wins in 2013.  

He loses it when he can't put the ball in the fairway.  If the rough is up, he's not getting it close enough like he did in his younger days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Funny enough it wasn't his tee game that hurt him Sunday. It was his inability two hit an or wedge inside 15 feet

Post round TW alluded to facing off-club yardages the entire day. Hard to sync everything up and knock it close when you're having to take something off every shot.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

I also think the problem was his putter on Sunday. Give him a couple of lip-outs and we would have a different winner.

The guy is just getting back at it. I believe playing it safe for a T2 has a greater contribution to the momentum.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

So we are all reviewing Tiger, and I wonder....  Do we really have the right to?

Here is his lifetime stats

events played 332

Won                 79

2nd                  30

3rd                   19

Top 10           187

Top 25           252

made Cut       303

Total earnings for Golf  $ 110,844,497.00   per the PGA official site.

I have to say that I personally am not a Tiger Enthusiast, but I do recognize the importance of having him in the mix.  Let's just enjoy the surge golf gets with him and hope the young guns can fill in once he is done.  If anyone was watching I believe Saturday after the round during an interview.  He leaned a bit similar to someone who has a back ache.  So we really don't know how long we will have him performing as he did this past week end.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Kenny and I have had this discussion before - I went back to Tiger's last Thursday her like season 2009.

His strokes gained per round average was an obscene 3.7. By any measure except fairways hit and TV personality comments he was the best ball striker in the world at that time - ball striking includes driving - he was a great driver even though he missed fairways because he put the ball in position to score - when a fairway needed to be hit, par 5, long par 4, he hit it.

Move to 2011, an okay year. His biggest losses were in the short game from 100 in, particularly around the green and especially short putting.

His long game stats began to suffer next because of the pressure his lagging short game was creating.

Throw in injuries, life issues and we are where we are.

Tiger hit his driver fine this weekend. He didn't have to hit it often but when he did he hit it like big and gave himself chances to hit the par 5's in 2. The fairways on those par 5's are hard to hit.

I've played both courses, Bayhill is far more generous. It's longer but accordingly the fairways are easier to hit.

It should be a fun weekend - Bayhill and later Augusta - two of his favorites. It should be fun.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I can agree that he has struggled putting, but I think the the driver is the key to him winning. He can play well using 2 iron and 3 wood of the tee. At Augusta, he may be able to get around with 2 iron 3 wood, but I don't believe he can win without Driver on some of the longer par 4's. What I do like is that we are discussing Phil and Tiger like we used to do back in the day. There are some younger guys as well that will have something to say about the Masters as well. It will be interesting for sure. There are 15-20 guys or more that are really playing well, and any of them could put a weekend together in Georgia. There's also a few others who aren't playing well, but are just off a little that could win as well. JS, Justin Rose, Patrick reed. It will be fun for sure.

I can agree that he has struggled putting, but I think the the driver is the key to him winning. He can play well using 2 iron and 3 wood of the tee. At Augusta, he may be able to get around with 2 iron 3 wood, but I don't believe he can win without Driver on some of the longer par 4's. What I do like is that we are discussing Phil and Tiger like we used to do back in the day. There are some younger guys as well that will have something to say about the Masters as well. It will be interesting for sure. There are 15-20 guys or more that are really playing well, and any of them could put a weekend together in Georgia. There's also a few others who aren't playing well, but are just off a little that could win as well. JS, Justin Rose, Patrick reed. It will be fun for sure.

Absolutely - and he or anyone else will need to hit driver well to win, no doubt. I think he hit driver plenty well enough, when he hit it at Valspar, to win anywhere. His tee ball, regardless of club choice, was not the problem on Sunday. He was a tad off with his approach shots and his speed on putts.

Not bad for a guy who hasn't been in contention in four years plus. I find it hard to believe that he won't win soon.

Of course winning a major is another matter especially winning one at Augusta or a US Open where three putt avoidance becomes an exaggerated attribute.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Kenny and I have had this discussion before - I went back to Tiger's last Thursday her like season 2009.

His strokes gained per round average was an obscene 3.7. By any measure except fairways hit and TV personality comments he was the best ball striker in the world at that time - ball striking includes driving - he was a great driver even though he missed fairways because he put the ball in position to score - when a fairway needed to be hit, par 5, long par 4, he hit it.

Yes, he has been great in Strokes Gained, not only tee-to-green, but putting as well.  Look at his stats; he has always been in the top 25, many times in the top 5.  The years he is not, were the years he was hurt.

So, explain to me, if he is a great driver of the ball (and I agree that he has been quite good the last few tournaments), WHY didn't he hit driver on #18 on Sunday when he absolutely needed a birdie for a chance to win??  Hitting the 2i off the tee told me that he doesn't have the confidence yet to pull off the shot when he needs it.  

He will have a much better time hitting driver with the wider fairways at Bayhill.

From what I watched and remember, he didn't hit Driver at all on the back nine Sunday. It did look like he pulled a bunch of irons shots as well. Hitting greens keeps you in the game, but hitting it close and making the putt is how you win. His game does seem to be at a point where he could win. It's just a matter of he is t the dominant player he once was, and there's usually more than 1 pursuer in the tourneys nowadays, fending off 1 or 2 is tough, but keeping 5 or 6 away is tough for anyone. Maybe with Phil's win and Tiger playing well it will become the year of the old guys.

He hit driver on 11 and on 14

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Ahh, ok. I knew he didn't hit it much, and I didn't see it at the time.

14 was about the toughest fairway to hit all week (back and forth with 6) and he piped it down the middle.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived