Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Hybrid, 3 iron or driving iron?

For those debating between a hybrid, a 3 iron or a driving iron this new vid from Mark Crossfield just posted and it is pretty enlightening.

Pay attention to the comments about land angle. The shallower the land angle the less likely to hold the green.

Of course this is all relative but he has what I would consider a relatively "common" swing.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Totally agree here. I play a hybrid because it gives me a touch more forgiveness and fits my distance gap better than the other 2 options (to little height or spin is never an issue for me). With that said I am looking into adding a driving iron or 2 iron with a graphite hybrid shaft for when it do need to flight it lower or if I'm playing a course with a lot of narrow tee shots to hit.

Yup. Fitting in that transition zone is so important to look at other factors than just distance. As Mark mentions in that video you also really need to be honest with where your misses end up

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Totally agree here. I play a hybrid because it gives me a touch more forgiveness and fits my distance gap better than the other 2 options (to little height or spin is never an issue for me). With that said I am looking into adding a driving iron or 2 iron with a graphite hybrid shaft for when it do need to flight it lower or if I'm playing a course with a lot of narrow tee shots to hit.

Ditto. I love shots where I can use my 19* 3H. If I hit it well, things usually work out for me and I'll usually pick it over my 5W. I couldn't hit a 3I to save my bacon. The hybrid really fits my style of play.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

The only reason I would hit a long iron is off a tee; not enough swing speed, and I don't need to hit anything shorter than my driver anyway.  My hybrids save my game for long approaches, and they are gold out of the short rough.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I gamed a 2 iron for the last couple of years for tight fairway drives.

Changed back to a 3 hybrid this year, think I can use in more areas of my game.

For now lol

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

hmmm, this is an interesting one, but i see how it depends on how you use it. My shots tend to be relatively flat and longer with roll with the hybrid and longer irons, so i tryo to hit it shorter and roll it, versus landing it, as I know i don;t have the game yet for that. I have a 2/3 hybrid that can go from 16-19, and i was using it off the tee at 16.5 a lot when i played a narrow course. I'm learning my new fairway at the moment, so may be sticking with the lower hybrid for a little while. i want to try a driving/utility iron as I have a awesome shaft for it, but not sure if i'd actually need it. my Cleveland CBX 4 iron is at 20 degrees, so it plays more like a 3i, and has such a great trajectory and is easier to hit than the 5i, for now. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I love hitting my 3 iron but i tend to hit a more penetrating flight, so if hitting into a green i'll always use my 19deg and take a bit off it or not depending on length of hole. If i hit my 3 iron i'd have trouble holding the green. 

I am thinking of that cobra driving iron which is adjustable and supposedly hits it very high which would be the best of both worlds as with an iron i'd find it easier to hit the stinger type shot as well. 

For me, the deciding factor was my misses with each of the clubs. I started with a 3 hybrid, and hit it alright, but my miss was always way right and short. When I picked up a matching 3i to my set, I found that my typical miss was still short, but was straight. Sure, my hybrid had more of a chance of sticking a green than my 3i and was arguably more forgiving, but my miss with the hybrid could take me out of play, whereas the 3i, kept me in play. Now I am currently using a 5w in place of a 3i/hybrid, but I will be looking into hybrids again when I do an iron fitting, as I am sure that a properly fit hybrid will give me better results than what I saw from an off the rack hybrid. But ultimately, I will still base the decision on the misses.

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Hybrid is the club for me. The rough at my course is nasty so a long iron just doesn't cut it so to speak. I also like the hybrid around the greens.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I have both a 3 crossover iron and a 19* hybrid in the bag. 3 iron is great off the tee but on the fairway I prefer the hybrid. Could be because I haven't gotten completely use to the 3 iron.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I play a 18° long iron because it is easier to hit it straight VS a hybrid. For me. 5 Wood if I need to hold the green. Both go the same distance. Into the wind ... choice is obvious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Was a long time hybrid lover. Had a trusty Adams thing just wanted to go straight. Fast forward to this year after a winter of swing changes and I am lucky if its straight

Hook city. Recently picked up a 3 iron which I may tinker with

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Driver: Taylormade M2 - Fujikura Pro 60

3 Wood: Taylormade M1 - Graphite Design BB-6X

Irons: Srixon Z745  5-PW - UST Recoils 110

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3  54,60* - UST Recoils 125

Putter: Cleveland Elevado CB

Ball: Vice Pro

• 4 weeks later...

I started playing with long irons and as many have said here, it was not only a matter of having trouble to consistently hit the 2, 3 and 4 irons but also how difficult was to stop the ball in the green (specially 2 and 3 irons) when hit from the ground.

Then hybrids came out and it was amazing to see the ball fly in the air, but the drawback was that extra spin made it difficult to hit it straight, specially against the wind or from the tee. I was not able to find the right hybrid and it was the club in my bag that rotated the most until a good friend found a used Taylormade Rescue Dual TP that he remembered that it was the only hybrid I wasn't hooking out of the planet... I reshafted it and tweaked the SW and it stayed in the bag until last year (it is safe in the basement just in case).

In the meantime I was able to try some driving irons specially from Mizuno but still I was not able to put enough spin from the ground although they were perfect for playing arrows from the tee. Until last year another friend convinced me to try one of the new driving irons in the market... I was shocked since it played straight from the tee and I could it it high from the fairway.

The new driving irons are hollow clubs with faces that flex, with tons of tungsten low and towards the toe and in my opinion graphite shafts have improved a lot in the last 5 years. In my case I now got the best of both worlds and I don't think I will recover my hybrid from the basement anytime soon. There are many options available, the ones that worked vey good for me are the Ping G400 Crossover (way easier than the original black crossover) and the Cobra KING Utility (they now have a one lenght version with a very short shaft).

This is a great thread that proves there is not a single club that is suitable for everyone and the best of all is that nowadays we have more options than ever.

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S
PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4
Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S
Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S
Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S
EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback

• 2 weeks later...

Long irons are hard to hit and driving irons only a little easier. They require near perfect strikes to get the ball flight needed to make them work properly. Hybrids are going to provide an easier opportunity to get the ball in the air, more forgiveness and many of the newer releases make it easier to work the ball.

I still prefer to have a 4i in the bag using a GI type club over a players type iron. I tried the p790 udi and struggled to get the same performance out if as a 2/3h or even a similar lofted wood.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Archived