TESTERS WANTED! ×

True Spec & Miura

SPY ZINGER

Some friends and I were having a discussion tonight. How does the True Spec and Miura business model work? When a company like True Spec is in the business of fitting you for the best equipment in Golf, isn't every non-Miura fit and sale in direct conflict with Miura, their newly acquired company?

Say a guy is fit for PXG out of True Spec? What was the customer acquisition cost and loss of a potential Miura customer? That guy probably won't look at Miura as an option for 2-3 years minimum. That is a potential Miura sale gone. How can you balance competing businesses like this in a portfolio?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Posted Image

I'm guessing that even though they own Miura they still put their vision of fitting players into the best equipment for them possible. Sometimes that will be Miura sometimes it won't. I'm sure they knew that going into the purchase.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I'm guessing that even though they own Miura they still put their vision of fitting players into the best equipment for them possible. Sometimes that will be Miura sometimes it won't. I'm sure they knew that going into the purchase.

Oh there is no doubt they do. But my question is because of that, doesn't it come at a price? Doesn't that non-Miura fittings take a customer away from the brand they own?

Posted Image

It is probably a double sided thing.  For every person that doesn't buy Miura there is a player that does. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It is probably a double sided thing. For every person that doesn't buy Miura there is a player that does.

But doesn't a president of a brand want to get behind their equipment 100%? I'm not saying he's wrong or the concept is wrong. I'm just wondering if Miura losing customer acquisitions as a direct result of Miura (True Spec). That's all.

Posted Image

But doesn't a president of a brand want to get behind their equipment 100%? I'm not saying he's wrong or the concept is wrong. I'm just wondering if Miura losing customer acquisitions as a direct result of Miura (True Spec). That's all.

per an interview it is about distribution and additional exposure of the Miura clubs

"True Spec will always be brand agnostic,” McGarity said. “If [another brand's clubs] are better than Miura's, that's a Miura problem. We're always going to sell the best-performing clubs to our customers.”

True Spec will act as a “fulfillment center” for Miura, McGarity said, specifically as “a shipping and storage place.”

McGarity stated that the real advantage for Miura's partnership with True Spec is True Spec's ownership of Club Conex, a company that sells patented components that allow golfers to try the same golf shaft in a variety of different golf club heads, regardless of club head manufacturer. Club Conex is used by the vast majority of premium club fitters, opening up important distribution channels for Miura.

“Club Conex is primed to help Miura with distribution,” McGarity said. “With Miura, you're going to see a company that's heavily consumer-focused and dealer-focused.”

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

per an interview it is about distribution and additional exposure of the Miura clubs

"True Spec will always be brand agnostic,” McGarity said. “If [another brand's clubs] are better than Miura's, that's a Miura problem. We're always going to sell the best-performing clubs to our customers.”

True Spec will act as a “fulfillment center” for Miura, McGarity said, specifically as “a shipping and storage place.”

McGarity stated that the real advantage for Miura's partnership with True Spec is True Spec's ownership of Club Conex, a company that sells patented components that allow golfers to try the same golf shaft in a variety of different golf club heads, regardless of club head manufacturer. Club Conex is used by the vast majority of premium club fitters, opening up important distribution channels for Miura.

“Club Conex is primed to help Miura with distribution,” McGarity said. “With Miura, you're going to see a company that's heavily consumer-focused and dealer-focused.”

Miura wasn't available prior to the acquisition out of True Spec?

Posted Image

Miura wasn't available prior to the acquisition out of True Spec?

The info I posted was from the president of the company. They may have been available but their purchase was possibly intended to expand distribution since they felt it would be possible to be profitable.

Some google searches may reveal more information for you; that is how I found the information I posted.

Fitting is still their main business. Either way they are still making a profit regardless of the clubs they sell to the person. Of course double ending it by fitting for Miura would be idea. You could loose a customer or get a bad review if you fit everyone into Miura if there are better options that that for them. Those bad experiences could cost you much more than doubling up on a sale.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I agree with KC on this one.  It's not about losing a potential Miura customer.  It's about gaining a customer for True Spec.

Don't look at is as a loss to Miura, look at it as a gain for True Spec.  They are going to make X% margin on the fitting and a normal set of clubs.  Now if that customer happens to fit in to Miura they will make that same X% plus whatever bonus margin they get because of the Miura deal.  So it's not a loss to Miura, it's just bonus margin to True Spec.  And with a dedicated state side distributor hopefully they will increase overall Miura sales.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably a genius move on Miura's part. The way I look at it Miura already has its fan base and it is obviously still growing. Acquiring True Spec not only gives Miura potentially more audience if the fitting goes that way and as others have said can generate profit through sale of other brands equipment but it also keeps Miura in touch with all the others new tech and what's typically being sold to all levels of golfers. I'd look at it as an advantage in the way that Miura can gather market data and potentially use it in future product design for specific golfers or regions.

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

Archived