Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2011 Callaway Diablo Octane BLACK

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

They should have shown these before the others...might have gotten a better reception:

EXCLUSIVE TO EUROPEAN MARKETS...Mistake in my opinion...what do you think?

diablo-black-driver-2.jpg

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I'd have to see it address, but from that pic it appears to be a nicer looking driver than Callaway has put out since the...well, maybe ever.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I've heard of products made exclusively for Japan, but never before for Europe. Is this common and I've just missed the boat? Not sure why they would be doing that.

While I don't think it's great looking, it's definitely better than some of the others that I've seen.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

as far as cosmetics go, this is one of the best I've seen in a long time from any company. Would love to see some different views.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

So thats why they moved to Mexico, so they could buy more of those Lambos

That and lower labor costs...... LOL

Club looks Good!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I like it ,its different.Not bad from Callaway

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

The new Callaway Diablo Octane Driver made its debut on www.Golf.com. Its got the forged composite crown which is that design on the head that looks very taylormadeish. Callaway says they put windows on the crown to show off theyre new invention! That cracked me up!! But the tour version doesnt have the windows on the crown. Comes with a 46" shaft which i hate! It says price is $299.99 and the tour is the same. weird. its 8 yards longer than the diablo edge. check out the website.

The new Callaway Diablo Octane Driver made its debut on www.Golf.com. Its got the forged composite crown which is that design on the head that looks very taylormadeish. Callaway says they put windows on the crown to show off theyre new invention! That cracked me up!! But the tour version doesnt have the windows on the crown. Comes with a 46" shaft which i hate! It says price is $299.99 and the tour is the same. weird. its 8 yards longer than the diablo edge. check out the website.

The "tour" version doesn't have the windows because the ones gaming it will be more on the traditionalist side and won't appreciate the gimmick (can't say I blame them). I highly doubt Phil or any other Lamballaway staffer would like that. To the uninformed, the windows would be a type of "selling point"... which I doubt will work.

Notice the shafts creeping longer? It started at 45", went to 45.5", then 45.75" and now 46" (TM was different- they went straight to with their '09 non-TP models). The USGA allows a maximum 48", so it shouldn't be too long before we get there. The extra distance can be explained by the longer shaft. What they don't tell you is, they test with robots... who make perfect contact every time. If you, me, Tiger Woods, or anyone else made perfect contact every time, we could use a 45"+ shaft. TW is this generations best golfer, and HE knows he can't use a club that long- his is 44.5", which is also the Tour average. Bubba Watson uses a 45" shaft- still .75-1.25" shorter than what the retail versions sell for- and he's one of the longest on Tour!

It's that type of marketing that bugs me the most about the OEMs. The average golfer has no idea how much better they can be (or at least, how much more enjoyable the round can be) by not buying their BS. They make good clubs, but screw it up by forcing ill-fitting stuff on the unknowing public.

The "tour" version doesn't have the windows because the ones gaming it will be more on the traditionalist side and won't appreciate the gimmick (can't say I blame them). I highly doubt Phil or any other Lamballaway staffer would like that. To the uninformed, the windows would be a type of "selling point"... which I doubt will work.

Notice the shafts creeping longer? It started at 45", went to 45.5", then 45.75" and now 46" (TM was different- they went straight to with their '09 non-TP models). The USGA allows a maximum 48", so it shouldn't be too long before we get there. The extra distance can be explained by the longer shaft. What they don't tell you is, they test with robots... who make perfect contact every time. If you, me, Tiger Woods, or anyone else made perfect contact every time, we could use a 45"+ shaft. TW is this generations best golfer, and HE knows he can't use a club that long- his is 44.5", which is also the Tour average. Bubba Watson uses a 45" shaft- still .75-1.25" shorter than what the retail versions sell for- and he's one of the longest on Tour!

It's that type of marketing that bugs me the most about the OEMs. The average golfer has no idea how much better they can be (or at least, how much more enjoyable the round can be) by not buying their BS. They make good clubs, but screw it up by forcing ill-fitting stuff on the unknowing public.

Well said!! Clap clap clap!!

Ick. I LOVE black clubheads, but Callaway can't pull it off. Just like Phil and any golf shirt he's ever worn. Can't pull it off.

so you dont go for the large C-cup + amateur beer belly look?

What's in my Ben Hogan stand bag:
Callaway Great Big Bertha 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 665 stiff shaft
Tour Edge XCG7 #3 Wood, Stiff shaft
Ping i20 20* hybrid, stiff shaft
Ping S56 irons 4-PW KBS stiff shafts
Ping Glide Wedges, 50*, 54*, 58*, SS Bounce
Nike Method Putter Model #004
Callaway Chrome Soft balls

Thats one of the best looking drivers I've seen in a while.

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

Archived