TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best Phoenix Golf Courses

GregWithAnH

Ok gentlemen...I am will be in the Phoenix area (Anthem) towards the end of April and looking to play and exciting course or 2. I know there are a ton of them, but would love to hear your recommendations.

Here is what I played over the past couple of years:

Las Sendas, Longbow, Los Caballeros, Ocotillo, & Rancho Manana.

Here are my top choices I am looking to play:

Golf Club of Estrella

Gold Canyon

Quintero Golf Club

Sunridge Canyon

Verrado GC

Verde River Golf & Social Club

We-Ko-Pa Golf Club

Boulders Golf Resort

Troon North (Monument)

Ak-Chin Southern Dunes GC

Grayhawk GC

Talking Stick GC

TPC Scottsdale

I am leaning towards We-Ko-Pa, Quintero, Sunridge Canyon, or Estrella.

Thanks!

Driver :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5*, EvenFlow Reg Shaft

Fairway Wood:   :callaway-small:  XHot

Irons:   :ping-small:  G30 (4-PW), 

Irons:   :ping-small: Glide SS 50/54

Wedges:   :callaway-small:  MD3 56/60

Putter:    :ping-small:  Sigma G Anser

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP 5,  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS, or :titelist-small: Pro V1

Ok gentlemen...I am will be in the Phoenix area (Anthem) towards the end of April and looking to play and exciting course or 2. I know there are a ton of them, but would love to hear your recommendations.

Here is what I played over the past couple of years:

Las Sendas, Longbow, Los Caballeros, Ocotillo, & Rancho Manana.

Here are my top choices I am looking to play:

Golf Club of Estrella

Gold Canyon

Quintero Golf Club

Sunridge Canyon

Verrado GC

Verde River Golf & Social Club

We-Ko-Pa Golf Club

Boulders Golf Resort

Troon North (Monument)

Ak-Chin Southern Dunes GC

Grayhawk GC

Talking Stick GC

TPC Scottsdale

I am leaning towards We-Ko-Pa, Quintero, Sunridge Canyon, or Estrella.

Thanks!

Quintero is outstanding but rather remote. Troon North is obviously very nice. With a group I quite like GrayHawk. It's challenging enough, in good condition, two courses to choose from and the on-site bar/grill Isabella's is one of the best places to do some late afternoon day drinking in all of Scottsdale

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Elephant Rocks is north of Phoenix on 40 near Williams. Played it a couple yrs ago on a drive back from San Diego. I really liked and the staff were real nice to a stranger wearing loudmouth clothes lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Elephant Rocks is north of Phoenix on 40 near Williams. Played it a couple yrs ago on a drive back from San Diego. I really liked and the staff were real nice to a stranger wearing loudmouth clothes lol

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The place looks amazing but it's 2 hours where I will be staying (Anthem, AZ). I will travel as far as an hour. But thanks for the suggestion!

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP 5,  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS, or :titelist-small: Pro V1

Quintero is outstanding but rather remote. Troon North is obviously very nice. With a group I quite like GrayHawk. It's challenging enough, in good condition, two courses to choose from and the on-site bar/grill Isabella's is one of the best places to do some late afternoon day drinking in all of Scottsdale

Lucky for me I will only be 30 minutes from Quintero. I am leaning towards that course. Thanks for the suggestions!

The place looks amazing but it's 2 hours where I will be staying (Anthem, AZ). I will travel as far as an hour. But thanks for the suggestion!

If you don't mind a hour or less drive from anthem, Stoneridge in Prescott is a great course. Some really good and fun holes with some great views and elevation changes. One of my personal faves.

Sent from my iPhone

Lucky for me I will only be 30 minutes from Quintero. I am leaning towards that course. Thanks for the suggestions!

Quintero is fantastic. Wickenburg Ranch is another great one about 30 min from Quintero.

Sent from my iPhone

If you don't mind a hour or less drive from anthem, Stoneridge in Prescott is a great course. Some really good and fun holes with some great views and elevation changes. One of my personal faves.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks geez2323 for the recommendations!

What is the difference between Wickenburg Ranch and Wickenburg Country Club? Is the Ranch nicer than Country club? Thanks again!

Thanks geez2323 for the recommendations!

What is the difference between Wickenburg Ranch and Wickenburg Country Club? Is the Ranch nicer than Country club? Thanks again!

Wickenburg Ranch is newer. It is a Trilogy property course. Has some fun risk reward holes. It is in fantastic condition. Some tight fairways and target golf holes. The country club is old and a bit tired. Not near as nice. It is a ok course, but if I was traveling it would not be on my list. Here are a few pics of wickenburg Ranch from a few months ago. IMG_1133.JPGIMG_1134.JPGIMG_1135.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

Wickenburg Ranch is newer. It is a Trilogy property course. Has some fun risk reward holes. It is in fantastic condition. Some tight fairways and target golf holes. The country club is old and a bit tired. Not near as nice. It is a ok course, but if I was traveling it would not be on my list. Here are a few pics of wickenburg Ranch from a few months ago. attachicon.gifIMG_1133.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1134.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1135.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

WOW! That looks amazing! Thanks for the picks! It'll make my decision a little easier now.

Wickenburg Ranch is newer. It is a Trilogy property course. Has some fun risk reward holes. It is in fantastic condition. Some tight fairways and target golf holes. The country club is old and a bit tired. Not near as nice. It is a ok course, but if I was traveling it would not be on my list. Here are a few pics of wickenburg Ranch from a few months ago. attachicon.gifIMG_1133.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1134.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1135.JPG

Sent from my iPhone

I think it's managed by Troon Golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it's managed by Troon Golf.

You are correct Sir. It is managed by Troon and the community it is located in is a Trilogy community. I play at Trilogy at Vistancia weekly, by my house, had Trilogy on my mind I guess.

Sent from my iPhone

Not much to offer other then that I stayed at a friend's house that's on Troon North and have played it several times. I'd be thrilled to have the opportunity to play it again. If you're physically able, it's a great walk.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Not much to offer other then that I stayed at a friend's house that's on Troon North and have played it several times. I'd be thrilled to have the opportunity to play it again. If you're physically able, it's a great walk.

I've played both courses at Troon North in Scottsdale, but it was a long time ago.  Absolutely gorgeous courses!!  The price was right too... but it was July!!!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've played both courses at Troon North in Scottsdale, but it was a long time ago. Absolutely gorgeous courses!! The price was right too... but it was July!!!!

July is definitly NOT walking weather in Scottsdale! LOL

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

July is definitly NOT walking weather in Scottsdale! LOL

NO!!  Not walking!!  When I was working, my professional society always had their annual meeting in July... east coast, west coast.  So every other year we would be in Phoenix, Tucson, Palm Springs, or Vegas.  We always had a golf tournament on the Sunday before meeting week.   However, I did get to play some very nice courses at cheap rates.  

And living in the desert, I am used to the dry heat.  I tend to suffer when the meetings were in July in Florida, Atlanta, New Orleans.  I don't do humid very well.

If you are in Anthem, stick to the North valley, west valley or north Scottsdale.

Gold canyon would be 1.5 hrs at least from anthem, same for Estrella ranch..

Quintero is great. Wickenberg ranch is great--for the first few holes and then the holes seem repetitious..the par 5s are such that the  green are elevated and  difficult to hold with second shots. Los Caballeros is much more traditional and  better course in Wickenberg.

Boulders, of course, Troon, Grayhawk, TPC stadium [trophy course but adequate at best]. Talking stick North is better than the south

Golf On!

Some good feedback in here. I am heading down to Scottsdale on the 11th of April for 5 days. We haven't booked anything yet and will probably just use golfnow the night before or morning of. Great to hear peoples thoughts on the tracks!

Enjoy your trip no matter where you play! 

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Previous WITB:

:taylormade-small: Driver R11s 9*

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood Rocketballz Stage 2 TP 15*

:adams-small: 3 Hybrid 19*

:taylormade-small: Irons 4-PW R11

:taylormade-small: Wedges TP 52*, 56*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Putter Rossa Mallet

Instagram - @joyzee1010

In 2010, my brother-in-law and I did the smartest/dumbest thing on a random Tuesday...

We flew from Houston on a 5:30am flight and landed in Phoenix at 6:30am thanks to AZ not observing daylight savings. 

We teed off at Raven Golf Club at 8:45. Had Lunch. Drove across the road to Legacy Golf Resort and played another 18. Then drove over to Arizona Grand Golf Course and finished another 18 as the sun went down. We drove to the airport, had dinner, got on a 9pm flight back to Houston and I was in bed at 3am. We both went to work the next day...why? Because we both called in sick as we took off for Phoenix. Best worst golf trip ever. 

I do love playing 36 at Troon North as well. Amazing scenery up there. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Archived