GOLFERS! - Are You Brand-Washed?

I've had to think about the topic question a little bit, and ultimately - yes - I'm "brandwashed," because I personally want to use equipment that are known quantities. However, like a lot of other folks here, I'm not - and won't be - married to just one brand across all 14 clubs. The golf club has to suit my eye and fit my swing ... otherwise, I'd better throw a brick slab in the bag to constantly bang my head against in between shots on the course.

I think you make a good point here, brandwashing doesn't necessarily mean being stuck to one OEM, it could just mean that you believe the major OEMs make better products and therefore that's all you will play. I think if we use that more expanded definition, many of us are brandwashed. I will admit that I overlook some products because they are not from a major maker, and those products might be really good.

One example would be Wilson. Now, Wilson is a major brand, but it doesn't have the pop it used to. I was at a demo day recently with Adams and Wilson, and I barely looked at the Wilson clubs. I guess I am somewhat brandwashed.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I wouldnt say i am brand washed at all. I play anyhting that works, OEM or component.

Here is my bag..subject to change of course. :)

Driver - Hibore XLS with motore 75x

3 wood - Wishon 949 MC with Speeder 959x or TEE cb1 with Pro 95

hybrid - Adams Pro gold 20, Matrix ozik Altus

Irons - Srixon 506 w/KB Tour 6.5...may soon be Adams pro gold PVD's with PX 6.5

Wedges - Mizzy 51, cally 54 and 58 x forged w/KB

Putter - TP Mills Soft tail Short neck (never changing)

Haha. CJ77, it has now been a few minutes since you posted this..probably time to update your bag!

I would like to think that I will play what works, regardless of who makes it, but there is that nagging at the back of your head that you might be giving something up by playing a "second tier" brand. I know this to be a falsehood, but must constantly remind myself that what I am playing is the best for me, even if I bought it at Walmart.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw Project X 6.0, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° Project X 6.0, std length 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Custom Anser/Evnroll ER1V/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I didn't read all the thread...but this thread reminds me of what some of my other golf boards call a player with one brand all throughout their bag (and often with a bag to match, lol) -- those players are affectionately called "douchebags". LOL

Honestly, it's not meant as a put-down....just a descriptive to indicate the brand allegiance.

• SPY VIP

I didn't read all the thread...but this thread reminds me of what some of my other golf boards call a player with one brand all throughout their bag (and often with a bag to match, lol) -- those players are affectionately called "douchebags". LOL

Honestly, it's not meant as a put-down....just a descriptive to indicate the brand allegiance.

That is a funny thing that does show up on other boards, people who care more about what is in someone else's bag than their own. Just mention "staff bag" and the discussion can get very snarky in a hurry.

If someone feels better playing with a bag full of matching stuff, maybe they will play better as a result.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Well, I would like to think that guys play what works for them. Although, I still have a hard time believing that one OEM makes every single piece of equipment that will work for one player... but that's just me. Amateur certainly aren't Touring Professionals, and when I see a PGA Tour Pro have different stuff in their bags, that speaks volumes to me.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

The only way I will ever have a mono company bag is if I own the club company.

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw Project X 6.0, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° Project X 6.0, std length 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Custom Anser/Evnroll ER1V/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Not sure you could call anyone a "douchebag" and it not be a put-down. But OK...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

The only way I will ever have a mono company bag is if I own the club company.

OR if you're on staff or employed by that company. If I worked for Taylor Made, I'd have 14 TM clubs in the bag, TM balls, gloves, Adidas apparel... but a Sun Mountain bag in case I ever decided to jump ship to Callaway!! LOL.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

Not sure you could call anyone a "douchebag" and it not be a put-down. But OK...

It's kinda like calling a friend an "idiot" or some other name when you don't mean it literally, but still want to gig them just a bit. It's actually often not only used on the person (as in: "yeah, Joe's a douchebag....got everything Titleist from driver to putter, to bag, to towel, to divot tool"), but also to describe the bag itself (as in: "yeah, Joe's got himself a real douchebag -- everything Taylormade from driver to putter, to bag, to towel, to divot tool....heck, he even only wears Adidas, lol.")

Nothing personal's meant by it....other that slightly gigging someone for such brand adherence.

• SPY VIP

i would say that im totally brand washed... i have ping everything... and i love it...

Honestly, I wanted to do the same at one point. I think that the history of the brand was attractive to me. The clubs and I could not work out our relationship though.

I do have a Ping bag on order with my college's golf coach though.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think I'm a brand snob anyway, but I'm more of a hype fan... I usually buy whatever the advertisers tell me is the best thing on the market... I'm definitely a sucker for brand marketing...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

I think I'm a brand snob anyway, but I'm more of a hype fan... I usually buy whatever the advertisers tell me is the best thing on the market... I'm definitely a sucker for brand marketing...

This is not as bad as you make it sound, if the brand consistently makes solid products. However if the name is truly all that is being sold, you may end up with a "sucker" bag.

I would putt with any Ping putter, because I believe that the brand represents quality. I would miss a lot with the Wack-e or other Ping madness that has come down the pipe, but that is more because the club doesn't match my swing rather than it being a bad putter. Doc 17? Maybe the putter. I would not be as willing to bad a RAM putter. Maybe a RAM Zebra...

Volvo Intorqueo