Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My Golf Spy HQ Visit

Golfspy_CG2

So for almost two years now, I've been trying to arrange a trip to or time to stop at MGS HQ in Yorktown.  I get down that way about once a year but so far had not been able to coordinate the time on any of my trips. 

Well the stars aligned this week!  I was in Williamsburg for a company annual conference.   It wrapped up on Wednesday night, and before heading home on Thursday, i traded in attending the A-10 Basketball tournament in DC for some time at MGS HQ.

Adam had previously told me to just stop in anytime I was there, and CNosil who does the Most Wanted Testing there at least a cople times a week, told me the same, just drop in.

So here's a recap (I don't know if it'll  be short or long yet :D )

I walked in and immediately put my foot in my mouth by mistaking Harry for Adam, I have met Adam before, but they both have a similar build, and Adam was wearing the MGS Hat when I met him, as was Harry yesterday and it was from across the facility about 1,000 yards away...Ok in reality maybe 100 feet.   But it only took a few steps and Harry cheerfully greeting me with a Cheers before I relaized my mistake...Off to a great start...ha

After explaining to Harry who I was and the purpose of the stop in, actually I wasn't sure of my purpose other than to say hello and see whatever they would liet me see...whcih as it turns out was pretty much anything I wanted to!

Harry stopped some work he was doing, and walked me through the entire Most Wanted Testing steps and protocols, they were in the process of finishing up driver testing as well as some putter testings, and had just begun the Standbag testing.     He showed me each of the 27 or so drivers that are being tested, the too many to count putters and probably 15 or so stand bags.    

The Drivers were all neatly arranged in staff bags along a wall next to one of the hitting bay.  They have two full sized hitting bays much like you'd find in any major OEM or Club Champion type facility.   Equipped with Foresight GC Quads and so cool MGS Logo'd Bridgetstone balls.  

There was a very large putting green with an immaculate service, after all the Most Wanted testing is taking place on it, so it has to be of the highest standards, along the edge were putters all lined up and around the perimeter were all the stand bags being tested.    I asked Harry how they test a bag, and I think the answer is best left for one of them to answer as i don't want to misrepresent it in any way.   But there are so many aspects to a bag they test that I take for granted.   Again this is the Most Wanted Testing, so of course it would be more in-depth than you would even think.

Around this time two of the testers came in, one to test four drivers he had yet to test and one to test putters.  I watched each for a bit, they really seemed to enjoy what they were doing, and also took great care to make sure they were following the protocols.     It was really neat to see how one particular driver didn't' work too well for this tester but the other three all did very well.   

Sam arrived after a morning appointment and when I introduced myself, he was genuinely pleased to meet me.  Sam is the type of person, you are instantly drawn to after about 30 seconds of talking to him.  He has such a great personality and enthusiasm for both this job and golf.   Both he and Harry played college golf for a nearby university.     You may have read on Twitter today is Sams 2-year anniversary of working there, and he told me the story yesterday  of how it came to be.   Really so simple as Adam reaching out to the coach of the university saying he was looking for someone to test clubs for him, the coach knew Sam was looking for a job, and sent him over.   Sam was wondering if it was part time, for free or if he was going to have to pay...LOL    He was thrilled to come on board.   

Both he and Harry told me they felt like they knew a good bit about clubs.  Until they met Adam that was.  Both couldn't say enough about how much they have learned working with Adam and Tony, and their passions are contagious.   

Matt (the newest employee, I believe) who is doing a lot of the video and social media posting you have or will see, came in and went straight to work on setting up some elaborate settings for a video he's getting ready to do.   So didn't interrupt him as well...ha

So we talked more about everything Sam and Harry do there, and I was quite impressed and a bit envious as I looked and literally saw clubs from wall to wall.  Sam offered me the chance to grab any club I wanted to try out.   I was still feeling the results of 3 straight days of playing in cold weather and the after effects of the awards celebration the night before, and told him I appreciate it but I'm good.  

Sam and I talked a lot about the forum, even though he's not very active on here, he''s see's a lot of it.   He told me about a lot of content ideas they have coming up...if even half of what we talked about happens, there are going to be some very cool things coming down the pike for MGS in 2018.   One thing they will be podcasts, a couple of them  dropped this week,  if you haven't listened to either of them give them a go.   This is the link to the one with Tony and GoalieWales about their experience at Tour Striker Golf Academy in December.   it's almost an hour long but it's a great listen and goes quickly.    https://soundcloud.com/mygolfspy/mike-wales-interview

Also the Spy vs. Spy with Tony and Adam discussing the Distance "problem" is so good and I PROMISE you, you will learn something from it.  https://soundcloud.com/mygolfspy/mygolfspy-podcast-ep-1-spy-vs-spy

So after taking up almost two full hours of their time, I felt I didn't want to be the guest who overstayed his welcome, although may have already occurred.  Sam said he wasn't going to let me leave empty handed, so he and Harry disappeared behind the magic curtain and came back with a handful of MGS Goodness!!  I was very appreciative, and look how cool these are.    The T-Shirts, Balls, patches and stickers are all first class!!   I'll definitely be saving one of these sleeves of balls, but can't wait to put the other sleeve in play and have people ask about the logo.

So if you're ever in the Yorktown, VA area, I encourage to reach out to them and drop in.  They will be genuinely happy to see any forum members.  

MGS Swag.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great write up and some great swag; you have more MGS stuff than I do and I am there once or twice a week during the testing. Sam and Harry are great people and it makes going there to test a fun experience.

You should have taken the covers off some of the putters on the wall by the putting green. There are some unique one offs and some stuff designed and built by Adam.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great write up and some great swag; you have more MGS stuff than I do and I am there once or twice a week during the testing. Sam and Harry are great people and it makes going there to test a fun experience.

You should have taken the covers off some of the putters on the wall by the putting green. There are some unique one offs and some stuff designed and built by Adam.

Sam showed me one special one that I don't  think I can talk about.   I did take the cover off one  and the shaft immediately came out of it, I was horrified I broke something, then Harry laughed and told me that one had been loose.  

I'm so jelly of that swag bag! I'd happily rep MyGolfSpy USA lids, t-shirts, patches...if I could ever get my hands on them.

Edit: I think it would be really nice if MGS started offering donors an exclusive purchase opportunity before releasing their limited gear inventory to the general public.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Very cool write up! Congrats on the swag!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Thanks for the write-up. I wish I had a reason to be in the area and stop by...

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Great write up buddy! I'm hoping to get up there one day in the not too distant future

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Thanks for the write-up. I wish I had a reason to be in the area and stop by...

Maybe tell the family you're bringing them to Busch Gardens this summer.  It's only about 20 minutes away from there, and while they are at the parks...well you get the idea  :D

Great write up buddy! I'm hoping to get up there one day in the not too distant future

Thanks OG, get the Pick-Up Fired up and point it North!  I'd gladly come down to join you for  around.   Oh that's another thing, they both told me if I'm ever in the area to golf again to let them, know, they love to play golf.    I know for a fact Sam moves it out there over 300 yards, and I'm sure Harry does pretty well himself, being they both played College Golf. 

awesome read!! I'd love to get out there sometime. Dig the swag!

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Thanks OG, get the Pick-Up Fired up and point it North! I'd gladly come down to join you for around. Oh that's another thing, they both told me if I'm ever in the area to golf again to let them, know, they love to play golf. I know for a fact Sam moves it out there over 300 yards, and I'm sure Harry does pretty well himself, being they both played College Golf.

Well hell we would get to their drives in two . Yea that would be a fun trip for sure!

Cleveland

Thanks for the write-up Carolina.   While it would be a long day, sounds like a day trip for some us Maryland/Virginia guys would be an enjoyable experience. 

Wahoo, that would be a good day.  Maybe a bit long for a day trip, but not out of the question, certainly would be fun.  Although I think a trip down for some golf,  then a nice dinner at either Mauricio's or Trellis and a overnight stay, would be a great 1 day getaway.  

Speaking of the Trellis, how was the death by chocolate?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Wahoo, that would be a good day. Maybe a bit long for a day trip, but not out of the question, certainly would be fun. Although I think a trip down for some golf, then a nice dinner at either Mauricio's or Trellis and a overnight stay, would be a great 1 day getaway.

I would have to fly up and meet you boys somewhere. We could make it an MGS tour plus golf and over night type gathering.

Cleveland

Nice write-up. Sounds like you really enjoyed yourself.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

This was a great read, thank-you for the journey, it was truly fascinating. Awesome looking swag too! Everyone including myself is now super jealous!

Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Oh man- if I'm ever even close to Yorktown again...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I might have to try to fit in a visit on my trip to the US in a couple of years. My wife did a semester at VCU and is thinking about having a look at Richmond/VCU 30 odd years later. I'm subtly encouraging her, so I can get a chance to drop in.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I might have to try to fit in a visit on my trip to the US in a couple of years. My wife did a semester at VCU and is thinking about having a look at Richmond/VCU 30 odd years later. I'm subtly encouraging her, so I can get a chance to drop in.

Absolutely. Maybe a bit over an hour from downtown Richmond, give or take.

They encourage any forum visitors. Pretty grest group of guys there who are doing an awesome job.

And I have client meetings down in Newport News this week. Hmmm...

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Now you're taking me back to dinner out before sorority formals. Don't sleep on the white chocolate balloon either.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Nice writeup!  Makes me wish that I was still working.  I used to make a lot of trips to DC and Virginia Tech.  Maybe I'll make a trip back east one of these days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Incredible as usual IMG_1823.JPG

Nice write up, I would love to make the pilgrimage to MGS holy land one day.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Very cool. One day I'll get there for a visit.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Sounds like a lot of fun. Next time you'll have to hit some clubs! Just curious...do they ever do any outdoor testing? I understand that they need a controlled environment for accuracy, etc. but maybe they take the top gear outside?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Sounds like a lot of fun. Next time you'll have to hit some clubs! Just curious...do they ever do any outdoor testing? I understand that they need a controlled environment for accuracy, etc. but maybe they take the top gear outside?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I didnt ask that specifically. But it wouldn't suprise me. If not for formal testing, but maybe just for fun or informational purposes.

Ive alrewdy hit most drivers this year and own two of the new releases. So mostly would have been interested in irons. But they are still in the wings.

Thanks for sharing. I think it would be an awesome place to visit. Kind of the same magic as visiting the North Pole.

sent from planet Nebulon

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

You are the man Rob, great write up and love your insights.  Thanks for sharing this awesome experience. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Archived