Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

My Golf Spy HQ Visit

Golfspy_CG2

You are the man Rob, great write up and love your insights.  Thanks for sharing this awesome experience. 

We are going to do a ride up that way in 2018 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are going to do a ride up that way in 2018 

Lynne and I drove up to Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg for a week about 6 or 7 years ago, not a bad drive (9 hours or so IIRC) and the area is beautiful 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

Bet that was fun. I'll have to swing by there one weekend I'm down at the beach house.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Lynne and I drove up to Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg for a week about 6 or 7 years ago, not a bad drive (9 hours or so IIRC) and the area is beautiful 

I think you and I could make this happen.     I'm willing if you are?

Cleveland

Bet that was fun. I'll have to swing by there one weekend I'm down at the beach house.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It was fun. But i dont believe they are there on weekends though.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I think you and I could make this happen. I'm willing if you are?

You know,  I'll be there if you old coots do make it up.

I'd love to be a witness to s conversation between you and Harry. You both would think the other talks fumny. Ha

Very nice write up! I need to get myself one of the MGS patches.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Awesome write-up!! I had found myself wondering about this myself last month, when a friend and I had contemplated driving south during the school break next week to find some courses to play. If we were making a golf trip, a stop at the home of independent golf testing would be a great stop. Honestly I put it on the back burner because I was afraid to ask how to make it happen.

Glad to see the experience was exactly what I expected from MGS, first class all the way. This is seriously the best online golf community and I'm honoured to be a part of it as a tester, forum poster, and immediate reader of anything that is posted (sometimes I even go back and read old stuff, I'm obsessed). Thanks again MGS for engaging your readers and bringing out the truth!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

You know, id nske it dowm there if you old coots do mske it up.

I'd love to be a witness to s conversation between you and Harry. You both would think the other talks fumny. Ha

Soooooooo Harry talks funny huh?    Yea we could have a cool conversation for sure  :D

Cleveland

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I had wondered if it was worth starting a thread on, especially since i didnt take any pictures. Im sure Harry and Sam would have gladly obliged. I was just so wrapped up in the conversations, it didnt occur to me.

But heres a video from about s year ago, when Be Better Golf pretty much just stopped in as well.

So you can get an idea of the inside the facility.

Its a ptetty good watch.

https://youtu.be/v18_i_SByu0

Thanks fo sharing your expeience

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think you and I could make this happen.     I'm willing if you are?

We will do it in 18!  

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

We will do it in 18!  

Heck yea bruther!

Cleveland

I will tell you I'm loving the Most Wanted Monday videos. Right on my attention span level!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I had wondered if it was worth starting a thread on, especially since i didnt take any pictures. Im sure Harry and Sam would have gladly obliged. I was just so wrapped up in the conversations, it didnt occur to me.

But heres a video from about s year ago, when Be Better Golf pretty much just stopped in as well.

So you can get an idea of the inside the facility.

Its a ptetty good watch.

https://youtu.be/v18_i_SByu0

Just noticed your name change. Are you sure you didn't drop in for a job interview

Congrats on the “promotion “, you've certainly earned it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Just noticed your name change. Are you sure you didn't drop in for a job interview

Congrats on the “promotion “, you've certainly earned it.

Ha. I can assure you the two were completely unrelated. Just ironically close in timing. I think Sam and Harry had their hamds full with MWT!

Thanks for the congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not open on weekends huh?  What time would they close on a Friday afternoon?  I could swing by on the way down if I take a Friday off during the summer

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Not open on weekends huh? What time would they close on a Friday afternoon? I could swing by on the way down if I take a Friday off during the summer

You would have to contact Sam directly. If it is during the summer he likes to get to the golf course. I think their schedule is largely based on what they are working on. During most wanted testing they are there a little later to accommodate the testers that work. In the end there isn't really a set schedule. For example, This week they are probably off site taking photos for the driver testing results.

Sam's email is on the main site under staff if you ever want to set something up.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up.. I'm jealous of the swag..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Great write up and swag! Those logo balls are awesome!

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 2 weeks later...

Great insights to "Behind the Curtain with the "Wizard".....

Possibly a free trip to "OZ" for a Spy next year?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 3 weeks later...

So for almost two years now, I've been trying to arrange a trip to or time to stop at MGS HQ in Yorktown. I get down that way about once a year but so far had not been able to coordinate the time on any of my trips.

Well the stars aligned this week! I was in Williamsburg for a company annual conference. It wrapped up on Wednesday night, and before heading home on Thursday, i traded in attending the A-10 Basketball tournament in DC for some time at MGS HQ.

Adam had previously told me to just stop in anytime I was there, and CNosil who does the Most Wanted Testing there at least a cople times a week, told me the same, just drop in.

So here's a recap (I don't know if it'll be short or long yet :D )

I walked in and immediately put my foot in my mouth by mistaking Harry for Adam, I have met Adam before, but they both have a similar build, and Adam was wearing the MGS Hat when I met him, as was Harry yesterday and it was from across the facility about 1,000 yards away...Ok in reality maybe 100 feet. But it only took a few steps and Harry cheerfully greeting me with a Cheers before I relaized my mistake...Off to a great start...ha

After explaining to Harry who I was and the purpose of the stop in, actually I wasn't sure of my purpose other than to say hello and see whatever they would liet me see...whcih as it turns out was pretty much anything I wanted to!

Harry stopped some work he was doing, and walked me through the entire Most Wanted Testing steps and protocols, they were in the process of finishing up driver testing as well as some putter testings, and had just begun the Standbag testing. He showed me each of the 27 or so drivers that are being tested, the too many to count putters and probably 15 or so stand bags.

The Drivers were all neatly arranged in staff bags along a wall next to one of the hitting bay. They have two full sized hitting bays much like you'd find in any major OEM or Club Champion type facility. Equipped with Foresight GC Quads and so cool MGS Logo'd Bridgetstone balls.

There was a very large putting green with an immaculate service, after all the Most Wanted testing is taking place on it, so it has to be of the highest standards, along the edge were putters all lined up and around the perimeter were all the stand bags being tested. I asked Harry how they test a bag, and I think the answer is best left for one of them to answer as i don't want to misrepresent it in any way. But there are so many aspects to a bag they test that I take for granted. Again this is the Most Wanted Testing, so of course it would be more in-depth than you would even think.

Around this time two of the testers came in, one to test four drivers he had yet to test and one to test putters. I watched each for a bit, they really seemed to enjoy what they were doing, and also took great care to make sure they were following the protocols. It was really neat to see how one particular driver didn't' work too well for this tester but the other three all did very well.

Sam arrived after a morning appointment and when I introduced myself, he was genuinely pleased to meet me. Sam is the type of person, you are instantly drawn to after about 30 seconds of talking to him. He has such a great personality and enthusiasm for both this job and golf. Both he and Harry played college golf for a nearby university. You may have read on Twitter today is Sams 2-year anniversary of working there, and he told me the story yesterday of how it came to be. Really so simple as Adam reaching out to the coach of the university saying he was looking for someone to test clubs for him, the coach knew Sam was looking for a job, and sent him over. Sam was wondering if it was part time, for free or if he was going to have to pay...LOL He was thrilled to come on board.

Both he and Harry told me they felt like they knew a good bit about clubs. Until they met Adam that was. Both couldn't say enough about how much they have learned working with Adam and Tony, and their passions are contagious.

Matt (the newest employee, I believe) who is doing a lot of the video and social media posting you have or will see, came in and went straight to work on setting up some elaborate settings for a video he's getting ready to do. So didn't interrupt him as well...ha

So we talked more about everything Sam and Harry do there, and I was quite impressed and a bit envious as I looked and literally saw clubs from wall to wall. Sam offered me the chance to grab any club I wanted to try out. I was still feeling the results of 3 straight days of playing in cold weather and the after effects of the awards celebration the night before, and told him I appreciate it but I'm good.

Sam and I talked a lot about the forum, even though he's not very active on here, he''s see's a lot of it. He told me about a lot of content ideas they have coming up...if even half of what we talked about happens, there are going to be some very cool things coming down the pike for MGS in 2018. One thing they will be podcasts, a couple of them dropped this week, if you haven't listened to either of them give them a go. This is the link to the one with Tony and GoalieWales about their experience at Tour Striker Golf Academy in December. it's almost an hour long but it's a great listen and goes quickly. https://soundcloud.com/mygolfspy/mike-wales-interview

Also the Spy vs. Spy with Tony and Adam discussing the Distance "problem" is so good and I PROMISE you, you will learn something from it. https://soundcloud.com/mygolfspy/mygolfspy-podcast-ep-1-spy-vs-spy

So after taking up almost two full hours of their time, I felt I didn't want to be the guest who overstayed his welcome, although may have already occurred. Sam said he wasn't going to let me leave empty handed, so he and Harry disappeared behind the magic curtain and came back with a handful of MGS Goodness!! I was very appreciative, and look how cool these are. The T-Shirts, Balls, patches and stickers are all first class!! I'll definitely be saving one of these sleeves of balls, but can't wait to put the other sleeve in play and have people ask about the logo.

So if you're ever in the Yorktown, VA area, I encourage to reach out to them and drop in. They will be genuinely happy to see any forum members.

attachicon.gifMGS Swag.jpg

Freaking jealous. I was stationed in Norfolk for three years moved and then found the website. A trip there would have been cool. Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Freaking jealous. I was stationed in Norfolk for three years moved and then found the website. A trip there would have been cool. Congrats!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Good peeps doing good work there.

Shweeeeeeeettttt

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

We will do it in 18!  

If/when Dawg and I come up, we will have to swing by your place Rob and get a round of golf in.  

Cleveland

If/when Dawg and I come up, we will have to swing by your place Rob and get a round of golf in.

Im about 2.5 hours north. So not exactly s swing. But would love to have you guys up. When you do grab Cnosil and being him ...he's only about 20 to 30 minutes from MGS HQ!!

But if you boys do make the sidetrip up here, we'll for sure drag Dilgaf out to play. It'll be a real Hoot-n-nanny. Did i say that correctly. Ha

But if you boys do make the sidetrip up here, we'll for sure drag Dilgaf out to play. It'll be a real Hoot-n-nanny. Did i say that correctly. Ha

Heck yea! And what would be cool is if we could have a mini gathering up there

Cleveland

Archived