Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

OR/WA courses

StrokerAce

After 27 years I'm meeting up with my best friend from high school in Oregon for a week of golf in the first week of April.

He lives in Eugene but I'll be flying in to Portland and he'll be picking me up there.

Wondering if anyone has any course suggestions in the OR/WA area?

We're willing to drive but I don't want to spend the week driving hundreds of miles. :)

We were going to go to Chambers Bay but found out that they are in the process of reseeding all of their greens; apparently they are changing to a new type of grass with hopes of attracting more premier events.  Anyway - my buddy called them and they said the greens are still "playable" - whatever that means.  Looked for some recent reviews and didn't find many but the ones I found they said that they were so-so; I guess there are also a couple temp greens too. We decided to go to another course that isn't quite as pricey and save CB for when the grass grows in.  A lot of real nice courses in that area so I'm not too disappointed, although it would have been nice to play at a US Open site.

Here's my list so far:

WA:

* Home course

* Gold Mountain

* Salish Cliffs

* Gamble Sands

OR:

* Pronghorn

* Pumpkin Ridge

* Crosswater

* Elk Ridge

* Aspen Lakes

* Glaze Meadow

* Stone Creek

* Sandpines

* Ocean Dunes

Anything beyond these we should look into?  

Looking for at least one "nicer" place and then some that are fun.

P.S. Bandon is out of the picture.... way too expensive.  Maybe next time. :)

I was planning on going to Chambers Bay with a buddy in April but found out that they are in the process of reseeding all of their greens; apparently they are changing to a new type of grass with hopes of attracting more premier events.  Anyway - my buddy called them and they said the greens are still "playable" - whatever that means.  Looked for some recent reviews and didn't find many but the ones I found they said that they were so-so; I guess there are also a couple temp greens too.

We decided to go to another course that isn't quite as pricey and save CB for when the grass grows in.  A lot of real nice courses in that area so I'm not too disappointed, although it would have been nice to play at a US Open site.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Love the Home Course! All of your WA ones are great (Elk Ridge is in WA by the way and I have heard its solid) I would add the Suncadia courses (especially Tumble Creek), Washington National, Appletree, Druids Glen, Golf Club at Newcastle and White Horse to your WA list. For Oregon I would add Landon Farms and either of the courses at The Reserve Vineyards and GC in Beaverton to that list. If you are willing to drive over to Central Oregon (Since you have 4 listed) I would add in the other Sunriver courses, The Eagle Crest Courses, Tetherow, Brasada Ranch and Juniper. Also Crooked River Ranch is a fun unique course over there and Lost Tracks is a solid cheaper/fun course. Just stay away from Rivers Edge and the Old Back Nine and you will probably be good! There are many other great one that I wpuld to add but most are Private (Tacoma CC, Broken Top, Sahalee, ect...) or seemed farther than you wanted to go (Wine Valley, Wild Horse, Silvies Valley Ranch Retreat and Links). I'm sure I will think of others that would fit whatever location you end up deciding to drive to!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I love The Home Course. Gold Mt. is great too. Haven't played Salish or Gamble but those are also super fun tracks. You don't have Tetherow on your list for OR courses. Definitely look into that. Other than that, you've pretty much covered them all! As for Chambers, the greens will be pretty bad. They have never been very good. It is still a super fun course/experience, but not worth the money. Yeah, your best bet might be to hold off on Chambers, but come on up again once the greens are up to par (pun intended)!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I disagree that Chambers greens have never been good

I love The Home Course. Gold Mt. is great too. Haven't played Salish or Gamble but those are also super fun tracks. You don't have Tetherow on your list for OR courses. Definitely look into that. Other than that, you've pretty much covered them all! As for Chambers, the greens will be pretty bad. They have never been very good. It is still a super fun course/experience, but not worth the money. Yeah, your best bet might be to hold off on Chambers, but come on up again once the greens are up to par (pun intended)!

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

I disagree that Chambers greens have never been good

You might be right. What years are you thinking? I played there in 2014 and they were horrible with several temps. Played again in 2015... weren't much better but no temps. The best I've seen them was the week before the U.S. Open when I played a few holes. In 2016, still no temps., but greens were bad — bumpy and slow. Maybe the greens were good in 2007 and the years following, but I didn't play there before 2014.

I commented earlier and all of the courses listed are great.  You said that you didn't want to spend a lot of time driving.  The courses you have listed mean a LOT of driving.  States out west here are much bigger than back east.

I would suggest limiting your courses to a certain area.  With that said... While central Oregon has outstanding courses, I would say that they might not be open or conditions might not be the best in early April.  Yes, it's drier there, but the altitude means it's cold with snow likely.  I usually go to Bend in late April, and I have run into snow.  I seem to remember that the courses at Black Butte Ranch -  Glaze Meadow in particular didn't open until about the 3rd week of April.

Wish you could make it out this way a little later in the year.  A great trip to Seattle to play Chambers Bay, The Home Course, Gold Mountain, then over the Cascades to Suncadia, Desert Mountain, Gamble Sands, Circling Raven in N Idaho, Palouse Ridge at WSU, and Wine Valley in Walla Walla would be a great trip.  If you do decide to make it to the east side of OR/WA, let me know.  I'd happily join you!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

You might be right. What years are you thinking? I played there in 2014 and they were horrible with several temps. Played again in 2015... weren't much better but no temps. The best I've seen them was the week before the U.S. Open when I played a few holes. In 2016, still no temps., but greens were bad — bumpy and slow. Maybe the greens were good in 2007 and the years following, but I didn't play there before 2014.

I played in 2013, 2014 and then in the winter in 2016. Greens were near perfect except that they weren't visually stunning but that is because the style and fescue isn't really they same shade of green as people are used to in the US. Only when I played that winter round in 2016 were they slow or even kinda bumpy. Still rolled fast and smooth. The Poa issue was way overblown by PGA players but they decided to switch anyways because it will be easier to maintain and they are figuring it will make it easier for the US Open to come back.

Playing/coaching some tournaments over there in April. Most (If not all in Central Oregon) should be open and in good playing condition by first week of April because they had a fairly mild winter. Black Butte opening later makes sense since they are closer to the mountain and have a lot more trees around. Most of the others are more of a desert style and don't have to worry about much tree cover. 

I commented earlier and all of the courses listed are great.  You said that you didn't want to spend a lot of time driving.  The courses you have listed mean a LOT of driving.  States out west here are much bigger than back east.

I would suggest limiting your courses to a certain area.  With that said... While central Oregon has outstanding courses, I would say that they might not be open or conditions might not be the best in early April.  Yes, it's drier there, but the altitude means it's cold with snow likely.  I usually go to Bend in late April, and I have run into snow.  I seem to remember that the courses at Black Butte Ranch -  Glaze Meadow in particular didn't open until about the 3rd week of April.

Wish you could make it out this way a little later in the year.  A great trip to Seattle to play Chambers Bay, The Home Course, Gold Mountain, then over the Cascades to Suncadia, Desert Mountain, Gamble Sands, Circling Raven in N Idaho, Palouse Ridge at WSU, and Wine Valley in Walla Walla would be a great trip.  If you do decide to make it to the east side of OR/WA, let me know.  I'd happily join you!!

Playing/coaching some tournaments over there in April. Most (If not all in Central Oregon) should be open and in good playing condition by first week of April because they had a fairly mild winter. Black Butte opening later makes sense since they are closer to the mountain and have a lot more trees around. Most of the others are more of a desert style and don't have to worry about much tree cover.

I got an email from Pronghorn saying that temps were in the 70's this week, so there shouldn't be any snow in Bend. Bend is an awesome area for golf. One note about Crosswater (which I highly recommend): it is a private course unless you stay at the resort. Sunriver has an incredible deal: $79 per night, per person, and that includes unlimited golf the day of arrival and departure. It is limited to one round per day at Crosswater. I am not sure when that deal is valid, but I've been getting emails from them about it.

Oh, and as KennyB said, Suncadia also has some great courses. I'd recommend those as well.

Central Oregon (Especially in the Summer) is like Golf Heaven for us in the Pacific Northwest. So many amazing courses in small area

I got an email from Pronghorn saying that temps were in the 70's this week, so there shouldn't be any snow in Bend. Bend is an awesome area for golf. One note about Crosswater (which I highly recommend): it is a private course unless you stay at the resort. Sunriver has an incredible deal: $79 per night, per person, and that includes unlimited golf the day of arrival and departure. It is limited to one round per day at Crosswater. I am not sure when that deal is valid, but I've been getting emails from them about it.

Pronghorn is smoking something if they think it's 70* this week!! (not unusual... it is Oregon after all!).   It's going to be below freezing every night for the next 10 days and only get up to 40's and low 50's with rain/snow showers at night.  Central Oregon is 15-20* colder than we are on average, and our highs for the next 10 days are low 60's.

I agree that the deal for Sunriver is awesome.  The Champions Tour has played a major at Crosswater.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great suggestions guys!  Hopefully the weather cooperates.  I have a conference April 8th-11th at Oregon State University so I'm coming a week early to play golf.  If I had a choice I'd probably go out in May/June.  I'm just looking forward to getting away from piles and piles of snow and getting on a course with my friend.

I'm hoping to make a yearly trip out of it and will plan to get out later in the year next time, but I really appreciate all of your recommendations.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I got that email too. It was talking about this Monday (March 12th) and it was actually near 70*. My in-laws live in Bend about 20 minutes from Pronghorn and mentioned how nice it has been lately to my wife. Plus they already had a week in February where it was at or near 70* everyday so having a day or 2 in the 70's this earlier in the year doesn't surprise me. 

Pronghorn is smoking something if they think it's 70* this week!! (not unusual... it is Oregon after all!).   It's going to be below freezing every night for the next 10 days and only get up to 40's and low 50's with rain/snow showers at night.  Central Oregon is 15-20* colder than we are on average, and our highs for the next 10 days are low 60's.

I agree that the deal for Sunriver is awesome.  The Champions Tour has played a major at Crosswater.  

Oh play Trysting Tree in Corvallis while your there if you have time. OSU owns the course and its not far from the campus

Great suggestions guys!  Hopefully the weather cooperates.  I have a conference April 8th-11th at Oregon State University so I'm coming a week early to play golf.  If I had a choice I'd probably go out in May/June.  I'm just looking forward to getting away from piles and piles of snow and getting on a course with my friend.

I'm hoping to make a yearly trip out of it and will plan to get out later in the year next time, but I really appreciate all of your recommendations.

I got that email too. It was talking about this Monday (March 12th) and it was actually near 70*. My in-laws live in Bend about 20 minutes from Pronghorn and mentioned how nice it has been lately to my wife. Plus they already had a week in February where it was at or near 70* everyday so having a day or 2 in the 70's this earlier in the year doesn't surprise me.

Yes, I spoke incorrectly when I said "week." Meant that Mon. Looks like it only got to 62°, though.

Sunriver Oregon has a special $79 a night with a round at crossover and unlimited golf at other 3 courses

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Oh play Trysting Tree in Corvallis while your there if you have time. OSU owns the course and its not far from the campus

Trysting Tree used to be an OSU ag farm; I worked there while going to school back in 1966.  The pro at Trysting Tree grew up here in my area and I refereed H.S. and college girls volleyball with his mom.  

It's a fun track, but not when it's wet!!

Pumpkin Ridge—both sides are fantastic. Stone Creek is pretty good. Also look into Langdon Farms. Not sure if Bend is an option but there are a lot of good courses there too—I like Lost Tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

Pumpkin Ridge—both sides are fantastic. Stone Creek is pretty good. Also look into Langdon Farms. Not sure if Bend is an option but there are a lot of good courses there too—I like Lost Tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I haven't played it yet, but you might want to check out the OGA course in Woodburn.  Home course of the Oregon Golf Association.

I always drive by Langdon Farms on my way down to Corvallis.  I keep thinking that I should stop and play it, but driving a 300 mile trip... I just want to get there!!

Is Lost Tracks outside Bend the course with the railroad car over the water to a par 3 green?  I liked that course too, and the price was reasonable if I remember correctly.

I haven't played it yet, but you might want to check out the OGA course in Woodburn. Home course of the Oregon Golf Association.

I always drive by Langdon Farms on my way down to Corvallis. I keep thinking that I should stop and play it, but driving a 300 mile trip... I just want to get there!!

Is Lost Tracks outside Bend the course with the railroad car over the water to a par 3 green? I liked that course too, and the price was reasonable if I remember correctly.

I've played OGA before. It's decent. There are better ones out there. So Stroker, if you end up going to Bend, I would play an additional round there instead of OGA. Or another round in Washington.

Love the Home Course! All of your WA ones are great (Elk Ridge is in WA by the way and I have heard its solid) I would add the Suncadia courses (especially Tumble Creek), Washington National, Appletree, Druids Glen, Golf Club at Newcastle and White Horse to your WA list. For Oregon I would add Landon Farms and either of the courses at The Reserve Vineyards and GC in Beaverton to that list. If you are willing to drive over to Central Oregon (Since you have 4 listed) I would add in the other Sunriver courses, The Eagle Crest Courses, Tetherow, Brasada Ranch and Juniper. Also Crooked River Ranch is a fun unique course over there and Lost Tracks is a solid cheaper/fun course. Just stay away from Rivers Edge and the Old Back Nine and you will probably be good! There are many other great one that I wpuld to add but most are Private (Tacoma CC, Broken Top, Sahalee, ect...) or seemed farther than you wanted to go (Wine Valley, Wild Horse, Silvies Valley Ranch Retreat and Links). I'm sure I will think of others that would fit whatever location you end up deciding to drive to!

I totally agree with Tetherow if you head to Bend. I would check it before heading out because they might be opening it a little late this year. I was on the course 3 weeks ago and it was covered with snow. They have made some improvements as well to actually make it a little easier on some holes.

If you can find someone to get you on Broken Top that's another great course. I say the front nine is a totally different course compared to the back nine but a pleasure to play.

Hole 2 on Broken Top shoots from above down into a mini canyon I'll call it. Its narrow but a blast.

Enjoy your golf trip

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If your expecting it to be kinda similar to the Home Course since that is the home of the WSGA and PNGA you will be disappointed. Its kinda goofy and not nearly as nice as the Home Course. Still not bad but not in the same league

I haven't played it yet, but you might want to check out the OGA course in Woodburn.  Home course of the Oregon Golf Association.

I always drive by Langdon Farms on my way down to Corvallis.  I keep thinking that I should stop and play it, but driving a 300 mile trip... I just want to get there!!

Is Lost Tracks outside Bend the course with the railroad car over the water to a par 3 green?  I liked that course too, and the price was reasonable if I remember correctly.

If your expecting it to be kinda similar to the Home Course since that is the home of the WSGA and PNGA you will be disappointed. Its kinda goofy and not nearly as nice as the Home Course. Still not bad but not in the same league

Good to know!!  Thanks.

@strokerAce, just recieved this email from Chambers Bay. Looks like all greens will be open, in case you want to change your mind... Screenshot_20180315-182806.jpg

@strokerAce, just recieved this email from Chambers Bay. Looks like all greens will be open, in case you want to change your mind... attachicon.gifScreenshot_20180315-182806.jpg

Thanks! That's good news.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Heron Lakes and Pumpkin Ridge while in the PDX area. Langdon Farms is in Wilsonville and right on the interstate. Salem G.C. in Salem is a real nice local course and about 15 minutes off the interstate. In Coevallis Trysting Tree is decent. Mallard Cr in Lebanon is a fun play. Albany has Springhill which is about 15 minutes from OSU. Outside Eugene is Tokatee. A real gem in Oregon to be honest and would be a great choice. No real wallet breakers on the list either in comparison to what you will pay in Central Oregon.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

OGA course in Woodburn is a decent course.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 2 weeks later...

So, what did you decide?

With just a week, I would recommend just doing Bend and Portland. Pronghorn & Tetherow are amazing, pumpkin Ridge is great and there are plenty in between.

And while gamble sands is my favorite, saying it is in the "area" is a long stretch. Doing a Seattle trip with Chambers, Suncadia, Newcastle, and Salish Cliffs would be a while trip unto itself.

Then, you always have Bandon waiting for that epic trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Archived