Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The distance issue. (merged)

KevinE

After reading the report by the R+A/USGA, I would love to hear everyone's input. I had my (Jack Nicklaus's also). opinion. But after reading, and sifting through the pros and cons, I think this 60 year old might be changing his mind. At this stage in my life, that is not an easy task. I would love to hear what some of my friends and fellow GolfSpyers have to say, before I commit to my stance. Both sides have some valid points, I just think I am leaning more to one side than the other.

moderator note: merged with existing recent same topic to help Street11 with his research.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Sure - at 60 are you hitting it farther? If so you're in the minority. There are bundles of stats that show that amateur golfers 99.9 percent of the golfing population have gained zero yardage in the past 20 years - zero.

If you haven't read John's article on the blog you should. Last year to the year prior was not an apples to apples comparison. There were 11 different courses used on tour last year from the year prior. That matters. There's nearly a 30 yard averaging driving distance between Innisbrook and Firestone, 15 yards between Innisbrook and Doral in the same state.

The fix is ridiculously obvious - soften the course and tighten the fairways when the pros are playing and leave us alone.

If they change the ball I will no longer even attempt to play golf by the rules. If they lose a guy who was once very competitive at the local level and able at least to qualify at the State Am level - they are going to loose people in droves.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sure - at 60 are you hitting it farther? If so you're in the minority. There are bundles of stats that show that amateur golfers 99.9 percent of the golfing population have gained zero yardage in the past 20 years - zero.

If you haven't read John's article on the blog you should. Last year to the year prior was not an apples to apples comparison. There were 11 different courses used on tour last year from the year prior. That matters. There's nearly a 30 yard averaging driving distance between Innisbrook and Firestone, 15 yards between Innisbrook and Doral in the same state.

The fix is ridiculously obvious - soften the course and tighten the fairways when the pros are playing and leave us alone.

If they change the ball I will no longer even attempt to play golf by the rules. If they lose a guy who was once very competitive at the local level and able at least to qualify at the State Am level - they are going to loose people in droves.

Rev........I think you might have missed my point. No, I am not hitting the ball farther, actually I'm either hitting it the same or a little less than my persimmon/balata days of 35 years ago.. I blindly agreed with the Golden Bear, at the beginning. Now, I converted to leave the ball alone. A shorter ball will hurt DJ much less than it will hurt Zach Johnson. I also think it will hurt the 99.9% of us a lot more than it will effect the longest of the touring pros.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

Let's put it this way when the USGA banned belly and titty putters it loss plenty of love from the seniors at my club. Guess what,,,,, they are still playing their long putters and saying screw you to the powers.   Of course most of them are not competing in USGA type tournaments so they could give a rats arse what changes they implement.  Personally I think they should leave the ball as is for amateurs.  As for the pros no doubt they are hitting it a mile however you still have to putt.  Just ask old Jordan Speith  ;) .  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

That report didn't demonstrate to me that there is a ball issue. How do you break down the distance by all factors: player fitness, club technology, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think there's no reason to roll any distance backfor amateurs - balls or clubs. The pros maybe, or even just certain tournaments is fine. Leave us alone, or if anything start bifurcating the rules more, at least a lax set for us public golfers that don't always have pristine conditions.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 w/ Diamana X 70g B4 setting

Irons: TaylorMade R7 TP 4-PW S300 shafts 1* upright

Titleist Vokey Wedges 50-54-58

Cobra Fly-z 16.5 FW

Adams Pro Boxer hybrid 18*

6.5 index, RH, Cleveland, OH

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I agree with RevKev.  These pro's hit it plenty far and using a ball to reduce distance would only hurt the amateurs and day to day players.  I don't drive the ball prodigious distances, if anything, I need the ball to go further on drives :D  Make the courses tougher for the Pro.  Pinch the fairways where the bombers are landing them. Make the rough, well rougher ;)  Choose courses that make the pro's think their way around the course more instead of the bomb and gauge technique that is happening.  Choose courses that force you to play a variety of shots, from fades to draws.  I don't think rolling back the distance on balls would accomplish anything on the tour.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

To me, this report makes one thing clear - they don't have a ball issue. When the topic first came up, I thought it was the ball, after all, if Jack says it, I tend to believe it, but this chart flies directly in the face of it.

Depending on the source and amount of data, a decent statistician could extract much more information. I find it a bit curious that for all but the highest handicap range, the peaks and valleys from year-to-year coincide - what is the cause of those?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Rev........I think you might have missed my point. No, I am not hitting the ball farther, actually I'm either hitting it the same or a little less than my persimmon/balata days of 35 years ago.. I blindly agreed with the Golden Bear, at the beginning. Now, I converted to leave the ball alone. A shorter ball will hurt DJ much less than it will hurt Zach Johnson. I also think it will hurt the 99.9% of us a lot more than it will effect the longest of the touring pros.

Got you - yes I missed your original point. We Kevin's must stick together. My bad - sorry

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

They have a fairway cut too short, and they play the same courses over and over and over problem. Change up every course yearly. Cut the fairways a touch longer, narrow them up.

Course set up, no imagination problem. Not an equipment problem.

Exactly - although it may be tough to change course just soften and tighten the ones that they use.

Instead we have a guy complaining that there is too much sand in a bunker. Personally I think there should be a different amount to f sand in every bunker so that they become true hazards.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think the issue is with the courses. Look at the last 2 US Opens. 20 yards difference in driving. That is all in the course. Oakmont in 2016 was very wet. Erin Hills last year was dry. If you want to control the distance then do not cut the fairways as low and frown the rough longer. Oh and guess what your club might save a few dollars as the are not mowing as often or stressing the grass as much. But hey it's a ball problem.

I really wish there were 2 sets of rules. One for true amateurs and one for the guys that want to play competitively. This type of talk does not grow the game. If you want to grow the game you do what is right for the 99%. Not change the rules for the 1%.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I thought this was a much better take on the issue.  Poulter put it up on Instagram but it is the message that came out from the PGA Tour Players association and was sent to all the pro's.  Bottom line is that statistics can be manipulated to show/prove whatever you want them to prove.  Personally I see no ball issue and no distance issue.

Screenshot 2018-03-06 at 10.53.53 AM.pngScreenshot 2018-03-06 at 10.54.41 AM.pngScreenshot 2018-03-06 at 10.54.58 AM.pngScreenshot 2018-03-06 at 10.55.13 AM.png

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The report says that the average driver distance for men is 208 yards, average driver distance for women is 146 yards.  If the golf ball is rolled back 20%, the length of a round of golf at my muni would increase by a minimum of 30 minutes.  That means rounds would take 5-6 hours.

From the forward tees, women would not be able to drive the green on two par 3's; they would need an extra shot to get to five par 4's; and an extra shot to get to four par 5's.  That's 11 extra shots, assuming all shots are well-struck.  I suppose the golf course could build 11 new tee boxes, but it's a muni and I don't think they will spend that kind of money.

For the men there would be 13 holes that would not be reachable in regulation with a 166 yard drive and approach shots, including two par 3's.  Yes, if they moved up a tee box, then they would not reach 8 greens in regulation.

There are players now that play tee boxes that are beyond their ability.  Imagine what it will be like when they have to take an extra shot on every hole.  The USGA says they want to grow the game, but this insanity will do nothing but make golf rounds longer and run people away from the game. Maybe an "average joe" should be a member of the ruling body.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Got you - yes I missed your original point. We Kevin's must stick together. My bad - sorry

And sticking together, we shall !!!!!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

If they're going to roll back the ball I'm running out and buying a lifetime supply of the current balls!

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't think any change is warranted on the player side. If we bifurcate the rules, we'll no longer be playing the same game at all levels- and that's part of the draw, testing yourself against the best of the best. Definitely make courses tougher if you want, but remember that the general public watching golf loves birdies and the long ball. Does anyone remember several years ago when high scores at the U.S. Open were deemed a problem and viewership declined? Everything evolves, and roll backs seldom work as intended.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I think what they may do, is not cut back the ball, but maybe not let the ball get anymore "juicier" in the future. That might not make the manufacturers happier, but I believe that is what they are going to do.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Definitely make courses tougher if you want, but remember that the general public watching golf loves birdies and the long ball. Everything evolves, and roll backs seldom work as intended.

I agree that it is fun to watch the pros obliterate a course, but at the same time, I like to see them struggle for par. It makes them human and I can relate better.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

The ball and clubs have been limited for years now.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

The USGA seems a lot like the NCAA. Both trying to stay relevant as the world passes them by.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Slow down and narrow the fairways, grow the rough out and let the pro's have at it....the only other option would be a different ball for pros than for amateurs.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

The USGA seems a lot like the NCAA. Both trying to stay relevant as the world passes them by.

You said it - I thought it. But I think it's too late for the NCAA

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I think NCAA Men's basketball dropped the ball a long time ago. I loved College hoops. They played defense, they shot free throws and played true basketball. Then they saw the NBA go bat s*** crazy and offense, dunks, no D,traveling all the time, and 3 pointers was the show. They evolved into another NBA.. Back to golf, leave it be, and sorry Jack, I thought you were right, but now I'm on the other side.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

This is a whole big nothing burger. Yes, pros today hit it absurdly far. But I think this whole "roll back the ball" thing is getting more attention because everyone on Tour hits it a mile now. (I'm generalizing)

In this post-Tiger era, all the best athletes are playing more golf. Therefore, whereas before 5 guys hit it 300+, now 50 of them do and everyone thinks it's a problem. 

I don't know about you, but I don't want to turn on Golf Channel and see DJ, JT, Rory, Tiger, etc hitting 250 yard drivers. I have the same opinion about home runs in MLB - the more the better. 

This is a non issue. And I'm sure all us amateurs don't want to play with a rolled back ball.  

Driver:  :titelist-small: 915 D3 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+ Blue 60

3 Wood:  :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+ Blue 70

Hybrid:  :titelist-small: 712U 3 Iron - TT Dynamic Gold S300

Irons:  :titelist-small:  714 AP2 4-P - TT Dynamic Gold S300

Wedge:  :titelist-small: BV Raw Black SM5 52*.12*F, 56*.14*F, 60*.08*M - TT Dynamic Gold W Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: 33" Cameron & Crown 6M Futura - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Slow down and narrow the fairways, grow the rough out and let the pro's have at it....the only other option would be a different ball for pros than for amateurs.

Fairways running 10 on the stimp doesn't help either. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: 915 D3 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+ Blue 60

3 Wood:  :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana S+ Blue 70

Hybrid:  :titelist-small: 712U 3 Iron - TT Dynamic Gold S300

Irons:  :titelist-small:  714 AP2 4-P - TT Dynamic Gold S300

Wedge:  :titelist-small: BV Raw Black SM5 52*.12*F, 56*.14*F, 60*.08*M - TT Dynamic Gold W Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: 33" Cameron & Crown 6M Futura - Super Stroke 3.0 Slim

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

Aren't the balls and clubs that everyone plays built to the specifications put forth by the USGA? ie... conforming to USGA? They set the rules of ball performance. Not Titleist. Not DJ or Joe Schmoe. The USGA sets the rules for club performance too. Not Callaway. Think of all the balls and equipment they have determined is non-conforming. Ball flies to far and too straight. Clubs go too far and too straight. etc. etc.

We play with the equipment the USGA has allowed us to use. It's not the ball or the clubs USGA!!

Golf these days on TV is just that.... a made for TV event. Long drives, close wedges, birdies galore! I'd imagine most Pros anymore don't need more than about 8 clubs in the bag. Hell, they hit 7i's 225 yards! If it were me I'd have my caddy carry a Sunday bag for me. I'm sure he'd thank me.

DJ's new Sunday Tour Bag:

Driver

FW wood

7i

PW

52*

56*

60*

Putter

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived