TESTERS WANTED! ×

Which shaft to pick for my driver...

Man, why do you need to “choose”? All 7 of those shafts will cost you less than the set of PXGs you just bought... Take em ALL!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I had a shaft discussion with myself this morning in the SLDR post. I'm trying to experiment around with some shafts for the Flyz+ I bought a while back. None of the shaft options I've been trying are expensive. Nor do they need to be. And none of them have worked either. Not yet anyway as I'm getting ready to test the same shaft I have in my SLDR. Will this one work?

But since I'm not working with my fitter at this time I'm trying the do it yourself approach. But honestly, I could use some better shaft selections and a LM to at least get headed in the right direction. Perhaps I will. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Man, why do you need to “choose”? All 7 of those shafts will cost you less than the set of PXGs you just bought... Take em ALL!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You make a great point. But I already have them all. The question is - which to play :-( or should I glue them together and game an uber Transformers-like-shaft

I had a shaft discussion with myself this morning in the SLDR post. I'm trying to experiment around with some shafts for the Flyz+ I bought a while back. None of the shaft options I've been trying are expensive. Nor do they need to be. And none of them have worked either. Not yet anyway as I'm getting ready to test the same shaft I have in my SLDR. Will this one work?

But since I'm not working with my fitter at this time I'm trying the do it yourself approach. But honestly, I could use some better shaft selections and a LM to at least get headed in the right direction. Perhaps I will.

Yeah will see my fitter tomorrow. But I do love experimenting. Went from e6 to c8 SWs on my driver this year alone

Of those the Kiyoshi Purple is what I would play.  I've been fit in to it before and know it works well with my swing.

I'm not sure how that could possibly help with picking a shaft for your swing though...

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Of those the Kiyoshi Purple is what I would play.  I've been fit in to it before and know it works well with my swing.

I'm not sure how that could possibly help with picking a shaft for your swing though...

I've been fitted for all of them at one point or another :-) The oban is in one of my drivers now, the other will probably be the mj-5s...

I have similar guilt/question/issue. Over the winter I have bought a few driver Shafts, all with Callaway Epic / Rogue adapter. I will need to decide one to use, and get rid of (sell) the rest. The shafts are:

- GD Tour ad iz 5s

- GD tour ad mt 5s

- Fujikura pro 53

- GD tour ad bb 6s

- Ust Recoil ES 450 f3

- project X T800 55 6.0 ( Epic stock shaft)

Thinking back now it would have made more sense to go to Club Champions to get a driver fitting. I could try more shafts, plus it's cheaper. However the down side for driver fitting is I could only hit a few shots for each shaft. That may not be enough to accurately decide the right shaft to use.

Any comments? :) :(

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice shafts to choose from. Hard to make recommendations without knowing how fast you swing, tempo and how you load your shaft... But having a 12* head indicates you need maybe a higher launching shaft so I'd go with the mj-5...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I'm a Graphite Design fanboy, so I know which way I'd go, but u have to just hit ‘em all and make a judgement, right?

IMG_2739.PNG

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I have similar guilt/question/issue. Over the winter I have bought a few driver Shafts, all with Callaway Epic / Rogue adapter. I will need to decide one to use, and get rid of (sell) the rest. The shafts are:

- GD Tour ad iz 5s

- GD tour ad mt 5s

- Fujikura pro 53

- GD tour ad bb 6s

- Ust Recoil ES 450 f3

- project X T800 55 6.0 ( Epic stock shaft)

Thinking back now it would have made more sense to go to Club Champions to get a driver fitting. I could try more shafts, plus it's cheaper. However the down side for driver fitting is I could only hit a few shots for each shaft. That may not be enough to accurately decide the right shaft to use.

Any comments? :) :(

I'm pretty sure some of us have been in your shoes :D  Without knowing how you swing the club, how fast, transition/load, it like finding a needle in a haystack.  What I would do is find a local range that has a trackman and see if you can pay for an hour or two.  Try each one out and see what gives you the best combination of spin and launch and go with that one.

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I'm a Graphite Design fanboy, so I know which way I'd go, but u have to just hit ‘em all and make a judgement, right?

attachicon.gifIMG_2739.PNG

I've always wanted to try that AD-DI6+ shaft!  Of course, I also wanted an Oban Devotion 6 shaft so I went and picked one up, only to find it didn't suit my swing, LOL...live and learn!

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I'm pretty sure some of us have been in your shoes :D  Without knowing how you swing the club, how fast, transition/load, it like finding a needle in a haystack.  What I would do is find a local range that has a trackman and see if you can pay for an hour or two.  Try each one out and see what gives you the best combination of spin and launch and go with that one.

MDGolfHacker

Agree with GolfHacker.  Really need to know the profile of the swing but also what you want to get out of the shaft... what type of ball flight, what type of feel, etc.  I have been playing in a low launch HAZRDUS X shaft but it felt wippy at the tip (tipped 1").  I switched to a M ball flight Atmos and it felt much more stable than the PX HZ Black.  But it all comes down to how it performs and how it feels.  We can't tell you that.  Performance comes from testing and feels comes from you.  

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

For the pure PXG effect, I think you should choose the shaft that cost the money, so either the GD or the Oban!

Seriously though, hopefully the fitter can make it work for you.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Looking at all of those shafts makes my anxiety go crazy....haha. 

Jumping on a solid launch monitor with each is the way I'd go. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Purple is a pretty color.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Oh how many of us wish we could afford your problem! 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Oh how many of us wish we could afford your problem!

Don't know about op but for me I found good deals and buy from eBay. After I tested I resell at eBay most time at a modest loss. A lot of time and effort was spent but really not too bad financially wise.. it would be a totally different story if buying new paying retail price and let them collect dust:)

I'm not a fitter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Those shafts are all different animals. I'm looking on my phone so correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like you got 50-80 gram shafts? Some are high launch, low spin, different kick points and so on.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Wait - you're going on a launch monitor? Be still me heart! :)

At puttingpirate enjoy the new driver - all those shafts like delightful but I haven't a clue which one will work best for you. Let us know which you choose and how it works out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Oh and you guys will get a good laugh out of the fact that I just spilled my cup of coffee after reading that Plaid May go to the launch monitor.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey I never said I didn't like a LM. Now don't go dig up some old post where I said I did. LOL

What I will admit to is that I don't like hitting a driver into a net and taking the LM at it's digital word. If a LM says I'm in a good shaft..... then I want to go outside on the course with my game ball. Then we'll see. Literally.

:)

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I had much the same dilemma and a box of shafts t go show for it. I finally bought a Project X LZ 5.5 and love it...and it was cheap. Even though 5.5, I can't overpower it if I get on it and it loves a smooth swing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Archived