Sign in to follow this  
tbarrett15

Canada

I have been playing 714 AP2's the last few years and starting to play less and less. I have been offered a set of Ping I irons for my set. I just wanted to get an input on the trade and if I should do it because I'd like an iron with more forgiveness.

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

Welcome to MGS!  As to your question, I've only hit AP 2's on the range and liked them. I had a set of Ping I 20's that I regret to this day ever selling. I am going back to Pings this Summer.

• Like 2

Which “I” iron? Personally I'd keep your AP2's, depending on your ball striking.

They're the E1's, I don't compress the ball much anymore so I need something a little easier than my AP2's

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There's a few guys on here that play that model. Did you try them out? Same specs as your AP's?

Haven't been able to hit them yet, and they are slightly stronger. I think 1 or 2 degrees lower per club

Well the first thing is, you be giving up the “forged feel” if that is something you like. We did an i200 review last year, which is the update to the i, they were great irons. Obviously not quite the same thing, but you'll get a little bit of an idea of what our group thought.

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - PING i200 IRONS

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20071-OFFICIAL-FORUM-MEMBER-REVIEW---PING-i200-IRONS

You could also try a softer compression ball.

• Like 2

Would you say the I E1's are the in between of the forged and the “game improvement” irons? Similar to an AP3?

They fit in that new category “players distance iron”, more offset, stronger lofts, cast, which will “sound” harder.

Now as far as the trade, would you say I'm getting fleeced by trading the AP2's for the E1's? He will be driving a couple hours to meet and it will save me the hassle if I were to sell and buy again.

I'd definitely take them for a spin. Titleist clubs and PING have a totally different approach to golf.

My boss has the AP's you are talking about that I've hit a few times. Personally they look better, and felt better to me than the i200. But I prefer a smaller, more compact/traditional look.

A good fitting and or lesson is always an option.

As far as getting fleeced, I believe they were around the same price new retail. Depending on the shaft combo you have.

So you'll have to make that call yourself.

• Like 2

AP2's can be pretty tough, especially since you say your swing isn't what it used to be. My dad had AP2 but just doesn't have the time to maintain the ball striking for them.

There is an adage round here that you should play the most forgiving club you can stand the sight of. The PINGs sound like a great option for you. Like Shankster said, hit them and see what you think, but based on my experience, a more forgiving iron can make the game a little more fun.

PS - Southwestern Ontario, born and raised.

• Like 2

Welcome to MGS! Personally, I would keep the AP2s and keep looking. But, hit the PINGs and see what you think. Are the AP2s custom fit?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

They AP2's aren't custom fit, I thought about it but like chem club said about his dad I don't play enough to maintain the ball striking so it's getting a little thin

Do you know which color code the pings are?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Matt Bernardo

• By mr.hicksta
      Vessel 14-Way Player Stand Bag (Matte Black)
       F9 Speedback 9º (45") | ACCRA TZ5 65 M4 (70g, tipped 1/2") 
       G410 3W 14.5º (43") | MCA Tensei CK Blue 70 S (76g)
      G410 2H 17º (40.75") or 3H 19º (40.25") | MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S (79g)
       G410 4 Crossover 23º (39.25") | MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 S (79g)
      Epon AF-505 5-PW | Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour130 S (124g, Hard Stepped)
      RTX 4 50M, 54M, 58M | Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge125 (133g)
      PXG Bat Attack Gen2 (34") | KBS CT Tour Putter Shaft |  Grips TOUR Aware
       Pro V1x

Accessories: Bushnell Pro XE, Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 and Tour Velvet Plus4 grips,  Tour and Sport Gloves, Robert Mark and Dormie Workshop headcovers/putter cover, Club Glove pocket towel, Cayce Golf caddy towel and Epoch S3 tees. 

• By jinxianjun
      Here's the bag, June 2019
      Callaway Rogue SZ 9*, PX Even Flow T1100 white 6.5, 68g
      Callaway Rogue SZ 15* 3W, PX Even Flow T1100 white 6.5, 76g
      TM P790 3 iron, PX 6.0
      Titleist 690.MB 5-P, PX 6.0 - old school lofts. Plays 6-G in modern lofts. I've actually taken the 3,4 irons out after a few rounds. Don't really need them. 
      Cleveland RTX4 54*, DG S400
      TM HITOE 58*, KBS 
      Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2
      Titleist ProV1
      Jones Golf Utility Stand Bag, Navy

Look at that offset!

• By Golfspy_CG2
      This is a process that started back in January at the PGA Show when I had a conversation with the people at PING about the testings for this year.   Both of us wanted to do something new and different, and after coming up with an idea and ironing the details, a testing unlike any we've done before was born.
      We talk often on this site saying "Go Get Fit"  and PING has a phrase you hear constantly among it's staff #FittingMatters   And one of the areas that we felt fitting was overlooked was in the long game, fairway woods and hybrids.  
      So I went out to PING HQ in Phoenix, and was fit by one of their master fitters.  PING then graciously arranged for the four testers who were selected, to be fit by either the area field rep for PING or in the case of two of them,  two top 100 PING Fitters.  

So this review thread will be a bit different as it will have a third stage--the fitting process--which will be talked about at the same time as Stage 1 is posted.   As a staff tester, I will post one stage, that is hopefully not TLDR...but make no promise 🙂
      Each person was fit to what fit their personal gaps between driver and the last iron.   So each of us came up with a different combo to test.  I think you will find the results very interesting and in some cases eye opening.
      One final note.  Due to the horrific weather and deadly floods/tornado's that hit MO last month, TSauer's fitting was delayed quite a bit from the others.  Fortunately he and everyone involved are safe and sound, but it just took a while for them to all work through the timing.   So his stage's may be a bit behind the others, but he has an awesome setup to review, and I'm looking forward to reading all these, knowing how my setup has helped my game already.
      @revkev                         Stage 1           Fitting                Stage 2
      @mr.hicksta                   Stage 1          Fitting                Stage 2
      @TSauer                        Stage 1           Fitting               Stage 2
      @PAgolfer2017             Stage 1            Fitting               Stage 2
      @Golfspy_CG2              Combined Review

• By JimNantzsToast
      Hey everyone! new member/first post here so bear with me!
      Callaway (unknown model) Grey Goose stand bag (looks awesome, purchased from PlayItAgain)
      Cobra F7 Driver - Stiff 60g Fukijura shaft - Garfield "Born 2 Birdie" Headcover
      Callaway Rouge 3 wood - Adila Synergy Regular shaft
      Cobra F7 5 wood - Regular Fukijura shaft - My old Callaway Diablo 3 wood Headcover
      TaylorMade TP Rescue 4/22* - I'm not sure how old this is, I am in the market for something new
      Cobra F8 Iron set 5-GW - Regular flex TrueTemper XP90 shafts 
      Ping Tour-S 54*/12* bounce wedge - KBS Tour Shaft
      Adams Tom Watson 58*/8* bounce wedge - Adams branded shaft
      Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter - 35" Black painted shaft
      I think the next things to be replaced are the Rescue, then the wedges, then the driver. I also have the 38" Counterbalanced TA putter I have used twice if anyone is interested! Enjoy the pictures:

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!