Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

SHORTENED MY DRIVER

So I have been struggling with getting the club head around fast enough as well as closing the face (MAJOR SLICE 50-80 yards off target). I take lessons and have tried everything under the sun including getting fitted. I went and spoke with a golf pro in my area, I had brought up the idea of shortening the driver after hearing some PGA pros doing the same thing. Now since I'm 6'1” he said that's probably not the best idea (being that I'm tall) but it's worth a try.

So I did it, chopping it down 1.25”, it took some getting used to but I am now hitting straight shots 265-270 yards with the confidence off the tee to use the driver. In fact drove two greens yesterday where I would've normally used 4-5 iron.

Has anyone else tried this/ done this and had success as well without really losing yardage?

Titleist 718 ap3 (X-stiff,2 flat)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges

Taylormade Spider Tour Putter RED 35” 1* Flat

Taylormade r1 (x-stiff)

Left Handed

OHIO NORTH

22.4 HC

Yup. I've been doing it forever. I have never played a driver over 44.5”. I have a good friend that builds clubs and when I get a new driver I get him to shorten the club and do all of the frequency and swing weight magic. I have tried the stock 45.75 shafts and just can't hit the center of the club consistently, a lot of heal hits that go right.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

My driver is 44.5 inches and don't see myself playing anything longer than that.  Center face contact is more important to me than 1 or 2 mph faster club head speed.  After shorting the driver you might want to add a some lead tape to the head so the balance of the club feels correct to you.  There are swing weight formulas for this but there is no right or wrong answer because it depends on the player's preference.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

No need to yell about it my man  ;)

Seriously though, good on ya for making your own and driving your own path. Hope it helps get that handicap down for you!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I've thought about this many times over the years as the topic always resurfaces from time to time. Just yesterday I think; I commented about this in either the SLDR post or the Cobra F8 - F8+ post. I've been experimenting with a new Fly-Z+ trying to find a good shaft fit. Until last night I was considering cutting down the latest shaft I bought to try which is the same one I have in my SLDR. TM/Fujikura Speeder 57 S flex. However, I always grip down about 3/4" on all my clubs and..... I was inspecting the face of my SLDR and have good center face wear on it. Much better than I thought. So effectively I'm swinging a driver that is 44.5". I think for the time being I'll just go with what I have before shortening the shaft.

I will tell you guys this. I have a ShotMaker installed in my driver and I do believe it helps with shot disbursement. It does. You can search in the blog for Shotmaker and read the review and opinion from several years ago. Personally, if you like to play for accuracy the Shotmaker might be for you. As an added bonus it really makes your club feel much more solid. I'll put one in every driver I own.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Pretty sure with most all of the commentators saying we “ams” suck along with equipment brands changing technology every other year does us no favors.

The way it sounds is from the marketing side of things, we'd all do better with a 49” Driver, SSDSGI irons & wedges, 5 range finders, super duper tech putters with sharks with fricking laser beams attacked to their frickin heads.

I'll stick with old tech.

I have three shafts for my driver (Ping F6).   One of them is at 44.5 and it is the most consistent and accurate of the three. 

Callaway came out with the Fusion a year or so ago and one of the versions comes stock with the 44.5 shaft.   It's a pretty darn good driver however it does have a funny sound when you miss the sweet spot.   I suppose one could get over the sound however moved on.  I'm really surprised more companies don't offer this as part of their line up. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I just had a new shaft installed playing at 45". Now 45" seems pretty standard, but I'm coming from the stock shaft being 45.75" which is just ridiculously long! I was already gripping down on the stock shaft, so moving to a shaft 3/4" shorter feels so much more natural.

I'm now ready to also hack some off of my 3w and 5w!

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I have a 44" coming for my F8+ Driver.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Another example where club makers are misguided in making their standard drivers longer than pros. I'm told it's to maximize club head speed, and tout longest driver we've ever made, and I am sure it's true but it assumes amateurs are pretty consistent ball strikers at impact - I know I'm not. So it's a disservice to the buying public some/many who don't realized what they might gain in tighter dispersion (length and side to side) for little if any loss in average distance. Many buyers are unwittingly complicit?

The average golfer goes and hits a bunch of drives on a launch monitor at the a big box store. They don't care about dispersion or shot patterns. All they care about is those one or two that they "absolutely crushed".

It's why OEMS market for distance and make off the rack club 46 inches

I am playing my G400 at 45.25 inches, which is .5 shorter than their “standard” G400. It's the longest driver I have played to date and I love it so far, but I have played much shorter drivers in the past and liked them as well. I think a lot of it is very shaft dependent. And I also don't swing near as fast as the Tour pros so my misses can't get out their as far as theirs can!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Okay here we go again....

What length were you fit for? The pros are fit for the length that they use and there is a very specific reason for that length.

For example I was once fit for a driver by the fitter who fit Sergio for his 43.5” driver. Sergio was fit for that driver to slow him down. I was fit at 44.5 because at 45.5 I hit the ball in the heel.

I'm happy that folks are seeing good results from using a shorter driver but if you cut a shaft on a whim and you're the guy or gal who should be using 45.5 or 46 (and there are some) you just threw away a chunk of change.

So go get fit before you cut. At least grip down for a while before you cut. In fact if you follow Plaid's suggestion and always grip down you can grab a few extra yards when you need it by griping back up on long straight holes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm picking up what Rev is putting down, but I cut my Mizuno 1" to 44.5" and I've never hit it more in the centre of the face before and I'm able to, for the most part, keep the ball on the same hole as opposed the one next to it.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have been playing a 44.5" driver for about 5 years now and I am 6'2"

I switched to it after a fitting at a Callaway Performance Center.

He had me hit drivers of 3 or 4 different lengths and we found that I only gave up 3-5 yards of distance by going with the shorter driver but I was 65% more accurate....easy decision!

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Cut mine down myself to 44'.   Read lots of swing weight and all sorts of other criteria that people try to scare you with. In my case, I fell in love with the decision I made immediately.  The only reason why my scores are low 90's high 80's is because of my driver.

Started hitting more fairways immediately, as a result of this I did not lose any distance since I have the confidence to swing a little harder.

Was telling my boss what I did so he went to Dick's on a Friday afternoon and cut his down to 44.5 for a Sunday round and he said it worked wonders for him.

I tried to apply the same thing to my fairway woods and hybrids and it did not work, just better to choke up on those for me.  Had to end up getting new shafts because I cut mine down too far lol.

Driver: Taylormade SLDR (Cut down to 44)

Woods: Taylormade Jetspeed 3, 5 wood

Hybrid: Taylormade Jetspeed 3H

Irons: Taylormade Sppedblade HL 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland RTX Satin, 54

Putter: Nike Method Core Drone

Dexterity: Left Handed

According to the wrist to floor “standards” I found, I need a 43” Driver.

And that's kinda how I was fitted instead of testing multiple club lengths. Sometimes I feel that when I do go to fittings I find the fitter to be either really involved or not at all

Titleist 718 ap3 (X-stiff,2 flat)

Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges

Taylormade Spider Tour Putter RED 35” 1* Flat

Taylormade r1 (x-stiff)

Left Handed

OHIO NORTH

22.4 HC

Just shortened my 3w and 5w this past weekend. So now I'm playing Driver: 45", 3w: 42.75", 5w: 41.75". We'll see how the fairway woods go.. I was routinely gripping down as much as 1" from the deck (some off the tee as well), so I figured I'd chop off .50" to start and see how it goes. I don't mind a little grip down, but 1"+ at times was excessive and felt weird...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

I bought a stock Callaway GBB Epic 3w Fukikura stiff shaft with the coupler on it already off of eBay and installed it on my GBB Epic driver and haven't looked back since. I've lost 8-10 yards, but hit a nice little 5 yard fade confidently now. 

:cobra-small: King F8 9 deg w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 stiff shaft

:callaway-small:  XR 16 3 Wood S Flex

:cobra-small:  Fly-Z 3/4 Hybrid S Flex

:cobra-small:  King F7 One Length 5-PW S Flex

:cleveland-small:  CBX Wedges 50, 54, & 58 deg wedge flex

:cameron-small:  Select GoLo Putter

I took an inch off my driver last season then used lead tape to bring the swing weight back up.

What I noticed was close to your findings. I lost 5 yards off my average distance. What I gained was it brought dispersion in by about 5 yards.

A local shop owner was interested in my experiment and let me use all his equipment at no charge. I believe I had a post here awhile back with more detailed findings. We used contact tape to track off center hits. The difference there was I had one more on center hit with the cut shaft verses the stock length. So not as much difference there as I had guessed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Any PING guys that want to bring swing weight back up, PING will do hot melt for around $10, that's a hell of a deal. I'm about to send mine back, it is just the G, a little weight up top to quiet it down and get the swing weight back to normal.

Edit: this is permanent, so if you don't like it you're SOL.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a stock Callaway GBB Epic 3w Fukikura stiff shaft with the coupler on it already off of eBay and installed it on my GBB Epic driver and haven't looked back since. I've lost 8-10 yards, but hit a nice little 5 yard fade confidently now.

Did something similar but opposite lol.

I had a cally driver shaft just sitting so I grabbed a cally 3 wood head and away I went.

Took a few rounds to get used to it but I've fallen in love with it.

Buddy said it looks like an old school driver with the small head vs today's driver heads.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Yes - this is a hot topic.

I'm curious about a couple of things -

1. What did your fitter say? Surely he looked at length? What did he recommend? That's where I would start because you are about to get tons of uninformed suggestions here (they are uninformed because we don't know your swing).

2. The pros are fit for their equipment. While some may sacrifice a bit of distance for accuracy many are already doing it by virtue of their swing - the average PGA has a slightly negative AoA because he wants to swing every club the same and doesn't need to chase the extra yardage a positive AoA would net him. Instead he recaptures some of that through equipment. For example Sergio Garcia is not using a 43.5” shaft for accuracy, it's because that length allows him to hit the longest, straightest drives possible. He has very fast hands and it helps slow them down a bit.

3. To me it's bizarre that your pro wouldn't talk about shortening your driver and even more so that he would dismiss it based on your height. We have six pros of varying types that work at my club. The one who uses the longest shaft is the shortest height wise and he is the only one that still has playing aspirations.

All of our pros will talk about any golf topic ad naseum. They all have seen the bulk of the membership hit balls, at least. If in doubt they would go to the range and take a look at a guys swing prior to making a comment like that one.

Finally, my shaft is shortened to 45” because that's what I was fit for. That length gives me the most hits on the sweet spot of the driver based upon my swing.

That's what you need to shoot for with yours. Good luck!

I'm very perplexed about your pro. What are his credentials?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm very perplexed about your pro. What are his credentials?

This is the first thing I thought when I read this as well. I actually read it twice to make sure it said “Pro”.

The driver is the most unique club in the bag in that its shots are exclusively hit off a tee. The balls teed height is a big variable in making correct center contact, while every other clubs majority of shots are from the ball directly on the ground. To say you shouldn't cut down your driver based on your height might be one of the most lazy recommendations I've heard. It sounds like the “advice” of a Big Box “fitter” that has a Chemistry final tomorrow.

I guess the title Golf Pro doesn't mean much these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to try a shorter driver so I had my X2Hot cut to 44" from the tip end and then swingweighted by my fitter back to D2.  I had never measured it before and when we did it came out to 46" before the cut :o .  Couldn't be happier.  Have only hit it once on the course but on the range I'm striking it better than ever with a much more controllable and consistent ballflight and contact.  I have a brand new AeroBurner that hasn't made it to the range in 3 weeks because I'm having so much fun hitting my new "short" driver.  I'm seriously thinking of chopping an inch off of my 3 wood now :unsure:

After trying my 3w shaft on my driver with very positive results, I whacked my driver shaft off by 1" as a further experiment while in the interim before I go get fitted for a new G400. WOW! Way more consistent for me at both the range and during a round. Like a total day & night, light bulb coming on moment! Made the round for me yesterday way, way more enjoyable to finally be hitting solid drives on or near the sweet spot, and not saying once to myself: "Ah crap! I gotta hit driver again!". Now I want to hit it every time and that's the way it should be right? It's yer buddies that should be sayin': "Ah crap! He's got the driver out again!" :rolleyes:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Archived