Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

4 clubs 18 holes. What clubs are you taking?

Kor.A.Door

4 hybrid. 8 iron. Gap wedge (54*). And putter.

With that hybrid I can get 200 off the tee 185 off the deck. 8 iron 150 down to 135. Gap is about 120- 90. And I chip with it alot already.

That would give me a chance on most par 5's and longer par 4's to still get on in regulation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's a bold strategy, you'd be hitting lots of 4h out there, not sure you would want that long of distances on some of the holes. The front min is a Donald Ross as well, so you know you're getting a well designed tough course. Honestly though, bringing the clubs you are comfortable hitting is a good idea. I was very fortunate that I actually took the right clubs, many guys didn't.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my buddy who is very long, to give you an idea, he hits his 4 iron about 10 yards short of my 3wood. The problem he had was he didn't have the make up in he lower end of his clubs. We discussed afterward that he should have brought Driver, 8, 60 or 56 and putter. That would have set him up much better into many of the greens. He is a very good putter so the he would have had wedge into most of the greens which would have given him a lot of birdie putts. It really makes you think of what options you want to do. Do you want to play every hole for par, with bogey as the max, or do you take the clubs that gives you more chances for birdies. It really was a fun day. The nice part is on the 180 yards hole or shots or the 150 yards shots, you don't have much choice, for me it was 7 iron for both, and I played them very well by choking down or intentionally play long a hard high draw in order to get the distance needed for the longer shot. It's fun to do, I may take some clubs out of my bag, and force myself to learn to use different clubs for different shots than I normally wouldnt play.

I think this would be an awesome exercise.

It would interesting to try with a variety of clubs.

For example I could try driver, 4 hybrid, 8 iron, 52 and putt with the hybrid.

I could try Kor's model or perhaps have hybrid as the longest club to get greater approach shot variety and still putt with it.

Lots of possibilities

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'd do my 2/3 hybrid, 8i, sand wedge and putter.

It amazing how well you can play with fewer choices.

I host a 3 club tourney each summer, so even more limited, and almost no one brings a putter, but people still shoot in the 80s putting with their driver or hybrid

I play a fair amount of one-club against the kids in our classes, and if they beat me on a hole, they get to pick the club for the next hole. They love to make me putt with my driver.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Hmm. I think I would go 3 iron, 7 iron, wedge, putter. Gaps would be approx 215, 165, 130. Would be fine for most par 4 and 3 average distance holes. Would be fun to try.

2 iron, 5 iron, 8 iron and 58* wedge is what I played last year when I won my club's event. Shot one over 72 with 28 putts. Almost considered bailing on my putter all together.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

2 iron, 5 iron, 8 iron and 58* wedge is what I played last year when I won my club's event. Shot one over 72 with 28 putts. Almost considered bailing on my putter all together.

I think what is amazing in an event like this is that the scores aren't terrible. Sure there are shots that take some creativity but overall the scores aren't much different than normal. Ie. I played the front nine of the same course last Thursday and shot 46 with all my clubs. I shot 42 on Saturday with 4 clubs, 3 three putts and one unforced error by putting a ball in a bunker that I never should have been near, that ended with double. It could have and probably should have been 38 just by not 3 putting. I take am considering dropping a couple clubs from my bag and use my imagination a bit more, instead of stock shots all the time, use something I am not used to using for a particular shot, make something up. It's easier to stay focused on the shot when you have to make the shot versus when it's just the same shot you normally hit.

I do this once a week at my club it's a toggle between dr-5hy-8i-aw or 5hy-8i-pw-putter.

Playing the course I've never played before I'd look at the par 3s to evaluate the line up. I shot par quite a few times at my clubs with 7 clubs. I only carry 12 clubs in my full set. I love playing the battle golf and my creativity and commitment to the shots seem to get a boost when I'm down to a few clubs.

5i, 9i, 54* and putter

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 Wood, 6 Iron, GW, putter

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Either 3w or Utility iron (depending on length and hazards), 7i, PW, putter.

A father/son that play at my course a lot almost always carry 6 or 7 clubs. 1 wood, even or odd numbered irons, a wedge and a putter. They shoot pretty good scores too. Must make it easier to not be in between clubs.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Hmmm this is a great idea, never seen one of these. Depending on the length I would go with either a 3wood or 2hybrid. I feel like I could control distance more with the hybrid. Plus I can use to to chip if needed or punch it down the fairway for an easy layup. So I would lean towards the hybrid

As others have said a 7iron is a must. Only club more important in my opinion would be a putter.

I would want to take my 56 degree wedge. This club has gotten me out of more jams and I feel like having it's utility around the green would be very helpful for time when I messed up my distances. Also a lot of the courses near me have bunkers with high lips so this could help with the shots too.

And of course the final club is a putter although the gambler in me would be curious to try and learn to putt with the hybrid to sneak another club in the bag lol. But honestly this one is a must.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

3 wood

4 Hybrid

9 iron

putter

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

The old reliable 2 iron from my Ping Eye2 set. (Good from the tee and the deck, it's never leaving my bag.)

Ping i20 7 iron

TM Burner PW

Cleveland Oil Can 60*

My putting stinks so bad, I'd probably be just as well off to putt with my 2 iron, or use the back of the 7 iron and putt right-handed (I'm a lefty.)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Very interesting that so many would forego the putter, since it's the club that we use the most.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That was some of thought in choosing my clubs, but 6 three putts later with my putter would say, did it really matter

I think what is amazing in an event like this is that the scores aren't terrible. Sure there are shots that take some creativity but overall the scores aren't much different than normal. Ie. I played the front nine of the same course last Thursday and shot 46 with all my clubs. I shot 42 on Saturday with 4 clubs, 3 three putts and one unforced error by putting a ball in a bunker that I never should have been near, that ended with double. It could have and probably should have been 38 just by not 3 putting. I take am considering dropping a couple clubs from my bag and use my imagination a bit more, instead of stock shots all the time, use something I am not used to using for a particular shot, make something up. It's easier to stay focused on the shot when you have to make the shot versus when it's just the same shot you normally hit.

It always seems that way for me.  Biggest change was making sure that I hit the fairway and played to a yardage that fit the clubs in my bag for the event.  Pretty much thought of every hole backwards and what I wanted in my hand for the approach shot.  Also took clubs that fit the par 3's without having to hit crazy shots. 

With that being said we played the course at around 6,400 yards and the pins were all in the easiest positions they could be on each green.  If they tucked some pins or put them in some of the normal locations nobody in the field would break 80.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

The pins were set pretty good, some tough, some easy. The par 3's were rough because the range was 185 uphill to 148 downhill. On the uphill I had to hit the 7 hard with a draw, just trying to get it to the front of he green, and it actually carried on and rolled out, but I 3 putted. On the down hill par 3 to 148, I just choked down a little and took an easy swing, it carried to the middle then rolled to the back and I managed to 2 putt.

Putter - 9 iron - 6 iron and 3 wood (tuned down to 13 degrees)

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

3 crossover, 7 iron, 52*, putter

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

3 wood - 275

6 iron - 200

9 iron - 160

52  - 115

In my bag

Driver  :cobra-small:  F8+ 

Fairway:  :cobra-small: F8+ (15°)

UT:   :callaway-small:  XForged 18°

Irons:   :ping-small:  i200 (4-PW)

Wedge:   :callaway-small:  62 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 52 | 56

Putter:  Odyssey Dual Force 2

Very interesting that so many would forego the putter, since it's the club that we use the most.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The way most people use their putter is pretty one-dimensional, so it's not surprising that they'd want to drop it and putt with something else. The question is, can you use your putter in ways you may not have thought of? It depends upon the course, but if you have lots of open-front greens or shallow bunkers, maybe it's more versatile than you think.

One of the activities we lead the kids through is having them play golf with lots of different kinds of balls and non-golf implements to propel the ball. For years, I secretly thought this was idiotic, even as I explained that the point of the exercise is to discover new ways to play the game. Then it finally dawned on me... why don't I experiment more and discover some new ways to play? What would happen if I choked up to the end of the grip on my 3 wood? Wow, a 200 yard low bullet that flies pretty straight. That comes in handy every once in a while. What else can I experiment with? You'd be surprised what you can come up with when you try it.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 Wood

5i

9i

56*

I'd concentrate on trying to hit GIR with the irons and putt with the 3 wood. All sounds good in theory! Might have to try this with some buds on a twilight round!

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Previous WITB:

:taylormade-small: Driver R11s 9*

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood Rocketballz Stage 2 TP 15*

:adams-small: 3 Hybrid 19*

:taylormade-small: Irons 4-PW R11

:taylormade-small: Wedges TP 52*, 56*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Putter Rossa Mallet

Instagram - @joyzee1010

I played a few rounds last year with four clubs when I was struggling. Played with 4 hybrid, 7 iron, 54* wedge and putter and was actually playing better than with full set.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Speedzone Xtreme 11.5*

Bio Cell+ 18.5*

G10 24*

Srixon U85 26*

Mizuno MP-32 6-PW

Vokey SM6  52* and 58*

Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 

Taylormade TP5x

I'm on Instagram as @sharpened_development_llc

Hybrid, 6 iron, 56* and putter

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Driver, 7 iron, SW, and putter. I always wanted try this but just been putting it on the back burner, trying to improve my striking to build confidence then I'll definitely go for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Driver, 7 iron, SW, and putter. I always wanted try this but just been putting it on the back burner, trying to improve my striking to build confidence then I'll definitely go for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Try it even with the struggle you may be surprised. What it does is it makes you concentrate more, and commit to the shot, you don't have a choice. There's no second guess, you know how far you hit say 7i, so you know what you need to do to make it go farther or shorter. I found that it actually simplified the game a little. Took my head out of some of the decisions. I couldn't putt, but other than that I played great. Give it shot.

For me at least I think having the putter in the bag would save me more strokes than any other club I could replace it with.

I only mentioned swapping it in my first post because I am sure someone will swear by it at the tournament and it's always an option.

Maybe another way to approach it's is by you yardage.

100 yard club

160 yard club

220ish yard club

Putter

And you can look at the scorecard beforehand and tweak those numbers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Driver, 6 iron, 54 * and a putter.

Driver: Taylormade M2 - Fujikura Pro 60

3 Wood: Taylormade M1 - Graphite Design BB-6X

Irons: Srixon Z745  5-PW - UST Recoils 110

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3  54,60* - UST Recoils 125

Putter: Cleveland Elevado CB

Ball: Vice Pro

Archived