TESTERS WANTED! ×

Where’d the 2 Wood go?

Shankster

Most everyone knows that I dislike 460cc drivers, I think they look like a balloon and it messes with my head. I know Callaway and Taylormade put out the mini drivers a while back, saying you'll get driver distance with fairway wood control. Where'd they go? Shorter shafted smaller head, 2 wood.

Lots of discussions about cutting down drivers on here lately, and it seems to be the biggest problems us “ams” have. So why not make a 43” 250cc 2 wood at 10.5. They used to make them.

I find it funny that most people are more accurate with a 3 wood over that big silly balloon on a stick.

And I don't want to hear, the “strong 3 wood” is now the 2 wood.

Shanks I think we see these come around every so often.  Usually a higher lofted smaller headed driver.  I know you can get one from Hireko called the THRIVER.  But as far as a regular 2 wood, I do not think you will see this any more. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Shanks I think we see these come around every so often. Usually a higher lofted smaller headed driver. I know you can get one from Hireko called the THRIVER. But as far as a regular 2 wood, I do not think you will see this any more.

Bummer. It would help us 99% golfers.

Cobra had one out a few years ago. The long tom 2 wood

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

"The strong 3 wood is now the 2 wood."

10.5* is not a 2W.  I had a 2W when I started playing golf; it was 12*.  Curiously, now that I'm old, my driver is 12*.  What's wrong with a strong 3W?  Seems to work fine for Henrik Stenson. 

BTW, it wouldn't help me, and I don't think it would help most ams that are the "average" golfer. I can't hit a FW as straight as my driver, so why give up distance?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

"The strong 3 wood is now the 2 wood."

10.5* is not a 2W. I had a 2W when I started playing golf; it was 12*. Curiously, now that I'm old, my driver is 12*. What's wrong with a strong 3W? Seems to work fine for Henrik Stenson.

BTW, it wouldn't help me, and I don't think it would help most ams that are the "average" golfer. I can't hit a FW as straight as my driver, so why give up distance?

Hmm. Well, I am looking for the deeper face than a 3 wood. I do know they existed with the mini 1.5 and the SLDR mini. I wonder if I could have one adjusted to play at 10.5°.

I have two old 2-woods. One is actually made of wood. You know... like a tree. LOL

The wooden one is an old Wilson Staff. I think it's call "Tour-Block" but I don't have it handy at the moment. The other one is a Callaway Big Bertha metal 2-wood I bought back in the early nineties I believe.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have two old 2-woods. One is actually made of wood. You know... like a tree. LOL

The wooden one is an old Wilson Staff. I think it's call "Tour-Block" but I don't have it handy at the moment. The other one is a Callaway Big Bertha metal 2-wood I bought back in the early nineties I believe.

I have a Hogan 2 wood from 1958, it's a smidge smaller than the driver.

I think Tiger should have Taylormade build him a 300cc Driver. That way I can buy it.

Taylormade did it fairly recently. It was the Mini Driver. Came in a 260cc head at 12*

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Callaway XHot and X2Hot 3deeps are floating around on eBay. Deep face and slightly longer than average 3 wood shaft. Might be what you are looking for. I have almost pulled the trigger on these in the past but never have.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Callaway XHot and X2Hot 3deeps are floating around on eBay. Deep face and slightly longer than average 3 wood shaft. Might be what you are looking for. I have almost pulled the trigger on these in the past but never have.

Been looking for an X2 Hot 2 wood.

https://mygolfspy.com/callaway-xhot-3deep/

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Loft-wise the 2 wood is now included in the shaft sleeve loft adjustment... Size-wise, maybe Callaway's “mini” was a recent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Whatever you call it there are two woods out there. Of course they aren't made of wood either .... :)

Also I like be your enthusiasm Shankster but it is not accurate to say that “most people” would benefit from a smaller head. In fact most people would not because it's possible to create a more forgiving face with a larger head. The question is how much more beneficial it is after about 440 ccs or so.

Most people do need more loft and a weaker flex in the shaft that they use. That's true. Many people would benefit from a shorter shaft but they won't know for certain until they are fit.

Just remember that a 2 wood by any other name is still a 2 wood. But it won't be made out of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Whatever you call it there are two woods out there. Of course they aren't made of wood either .... :)

Also I like be your enthusiasm Shankster but it is not accurate to say that “most people” would benefit from a smaller head. In fact most people would not because it's possible to create a more forgiving face with a larger head. The question is how much more beneficial it is after about 440 ccs or so.

Most people do need more loft and a weaker flex in the shaft that they use. That's true. Many people would benefit from a shorter shaft but they won't know for certain until they are fit.

Just remember that a 2 wood by any other name is still a 2 wood. But it won't be made out of wood.

Couldn't agree with this more. I think you give up a lot by going to a smaller head in terms of forgiveness. Why do it?

I think dispersion will always decrease with decreasing shaft length, the problem is that distance will start to decrease along with it at some point.

The comment about getting fit is a good one because you can hopefully dial in your shaft length to optimize distance and dispersion. 

Most ams would probably benefit from a 400cc 14*

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

Bummer. It would help us 99% golfers.

I'll respectfully disagree. If it was 99% you'd see it on the market

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

I'll respectfully disagree. If it was 99% you'd see it on the market

Well if you listen to the marketing, and the pros. We are all garbage at golf.

Yeah, sure it's a niche market for these things since we've been brainwashed into bigger is better.

I personally can get a better strike from a 3 wood. Mine is set at 13.5° which is probably in that 2 wood loft range. But I tend to get it up to high from time to time.

460cc drivers just look silly to me. What's the difference between the middle of 460cc and 260cc? The width of the face can't be all that much different, obviously a little smaller height and width wise. But the middle is the middle.

Just my thoughts. Marketing tells us we need 460cc.

Well if you listen to the marketing, and the pros. We are all garbage at golf.

Yeah, sure it's a niche market for these things since we've been brainwashed into bigger is better.

I personally can get a better strike from a 3 wood. Mine is set at 13.5° which is probably in that 2 wood loft range. But I tend to get it up to high from time to time.

460cc drivers just look silly to me. What's the difference between the middle of 460cc and 260cc? The width of the face can't be all that much different, obviously a little smaller height and width wise. But the middle is the middle.

Just my thoughts. Marketing tells us we need 460cc.

I know for a fact the 460 is a lot more forgiving. Although it would be fun to see what a say 350cc Head could get you at 12* of loft. I know it would bring back the driver off the deck more. But I see Sergio did that and hit it 300. Everyone in this game is different. And that's the beauty of it. What I like or works for me will not necessarily look good or play well for you. And that makes it hard for the manufacturers.

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

What used to be called a 2-Wood is today's Mini Driver... :P

SLDRMini.jpgSLDR Mini Driver (260cc) - The new 2-Wood

What's in Bobcat's Bag?  (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: :taylormade-small: 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s, (1/2" tip)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Tour issue 15* V-Steel 3W - Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff

Fairway/Hybrid: :taylormade-small: 15* Rescue Fairway "3-Strong" - VP-90 Stiff 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: #3 (19*) & #4 (22*) Rescue-Mid TP's - Vista Pro 90 Stiff 

Driving Irons: :taylormade-small: UDI #1 (16*) & #3 (20*) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Iron Set: :taylormade-small: SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff

Hybrid Wedges: :cleveland-small: 2011 Niblicks 42*PW, 49*DW, 56*SW - Stock

SW/LW: :cleveland-small: CG-16 Black Pearl 58* Low Bounce 8* - Stock Steel Shaft

Putter: :bettinardi-small: BBX-81 Blade - Stock Bettinardi Steel Shaft 

I don't know much about clubmaking but it seems like the move to 460cc was to help move weight all around and add some forgiveness.

I'm willing to bet that if you give a casual golfer a 375/400 cc driver and a 460cc driver the distance gained from the "schoolbus on a stick" will be minimal.

The dispersion/forgiveness will more than likely be there though.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Right. But where'd they go? Had a 2 year spell now poof... gone.

Yep...last I heard of them was the Callaway big bertha mini 1.5 ... those seemed to be well liked by some folks but it might have been cannibalizing sales of their primary driver.

Maybe you should build one Shanks?  But you couldn't call it the Shankster mini or anything like that - nobody would buy it with that name! 

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Yep...last I heard of them was the Callaway big bertha mini 1.5 ... those seemed to be well liked by some folks but it might have been cannibalizing sales of their primary driver.

Maybe you should build one Shanks? But you couldn't call it the Shankster mini or anything like that - nobody would buy it with that name!

Yeah. That would not be a good marketing idea on my end.

I'd simply call it... “2 Wood”

Oh. And of course it was taking away from main sales. Why else would they canx it?

Lack of/poor sales ??  maybe they need a tour player to use it in place of a 460 driver in order to gain traction....that seems to drive a lot of sales.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Hmm. Well, I am looking for the deeper face than a 3 wood. I do know they existed with the mini 1.5 and the SLDR mini. I wonder if I could have one adjusted to play at 10.5°.

Some OEM"s ... Titleist in particular ... have deeper face 13.5* woods.  Smaller more compact head but very easy to hit.  I'm not being biased either (since I hit one and love it). 

With all the adjustments in loft possible with drivers and 3-woods, you won't see a "2-wood" anymore.  Not with being able to "loft up" or "loft down"

Just find a driver you're comfortable with and loft it up to 12* ... problem solved 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Archived