GolfSpy MPR

What's in Your (Contest-Winning) Cobra Bag?

I will not be entering the contest. But it sure looks interesting and fun. Best of luck to those chosen.

ADA16459-69A6-463B-8A36-B04DF6260592.jpeg

• Like 8

Last year's contest was so cool, and this one is even cooler! I want an F8+ I wish I could get one on U-try but they never have shafts :(

• Like 1

Unavailable to me unfortunately, but looking forward to seeing a range of gear being tested out by the chosen ones.  One length up against variable would be interesting to see for guys off a similar handicap. 

Hopefully this years selections are all active and ongoing forum members, not guys after some free gear for a few posts.

I've never had a proper fitting, so I'd be very interested to see what clubs I should actually be gaming. That said, based on wants, my bag would go something like this.

F8 tour length 9.5*

F8+ 4-5 fairway 17.5*

F8 4 hybrid

F8 5-LW

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Great Idea - the original Cobra Connect was a great follow:

Driver - Cobra F8+ - Nardo with Tensei Pro Orange 70

Fairway - Cobra F8+ 3-4 Nardo with Graphite Design BB-8

Hybrid - Cobra F8 3 Hybrid with Aldila ATX Tour Green 

Irons - Cobra F8 4 - PW with Project X LZ 6.0

Wedges - King PUR - 50*, 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* with PX LZ 6.0

Hmm...  I think I would go with the one length F8 irons.  My interest with those irons is just because it eliminates one of the variables in equipment for me...  I'd have to work with a fitter to see what makeup the set would comprise of to ensure that the gapping is even.  My current set is a 3-PW set but I'm wondering if I wouldn't benefit from a 5-GW setup with more hybrids on the bottom end.  I think I would go with the King Black one length wedges, so I can test the durability of the black finish through the season and continue with the one length theory.  As for the driver, again I don't think I'd choose until I get with a fitter and see which F8 series head works best for me.  After all, the ultimate goal for this testing opp is to see how much you could improve with a completely fitted set with the arccos system.

MDGolfHacker

Great thread. If nine of the local guys could do a decent fitting I'd probably drive 2 hours to the nearest Club Champion in Chicago for the full bag experience. Wouldn't want to assume that just because my current setup works that new clubs with the same specs would also fit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I expect that we're obviously all pretty excited about the Cobra contest announced today. I certainly didn't want to mess up the contest application thread, but I thought it would be fun to post what set of Cobra clubs we'd have our eyes on if chosen.

So I'll start:

F8 Driver, stiff, set at 10°, maybe a half-inch short

F8 3-4 Fairway, set at 15.5°

F8 One Length 3 and 4 hybrids

F8 One Length 5-GW

King PŪR 54° and 58° wedges

I've really been wanting to give single-length irons a try. I tend to be overly-analytic about golf, likely to my own detriment, but the single-length idea absolutely intrigues me.

What would be in your Cobra bag?

Based on the original Cobra test thread it looks like a full bag of F8 product. I'm curious if Tour length driver is available in the F8+. If not I think I would be:

Driver- F8+ Nardo Grey Hzrdous Yellow X Stiff

Fairway- F8+ 3-4 X Stiff

Hybrid- Don't see X Flex availability in Hybrid or Utility so if true I would add the 4-5 Fairway in X. If X available in F8 hybrid I'm picking 3H or in Utility Black I'm going 2-3

Irons- A lot of possibilities here so sort of depends on if it's F8 only or you can do a Forged Tech Combo. If it's stock F8 I'm going F8 4-GW in Nippon Modus 3 120 X or KBS $ Taper Chrome Black X. If it's a combo then I'm doing the Forged Tech black in the 4&5 irons

Wedges- the King Black is pretty sexy. I'm thinking 56 in Classic grind and 60 in Versatile grind. I'm a slider not a digger so the low bounce 60 for me.

Side note- I spent a lot of time on Cobra's website looking at the options and saw something that has me smh. In the wedge section where they describe the wedge approach angle the word Neutral is misspelled in big bold letters at each grind. "Nuetral" in 3 different places. That's a little thing but someone other than the consumer should be catching that.

• Like 3

Hmm... I think I would go with the one length F8 irons. My interest with those irons is just because it eliminates one of the variables in equipment for me... I'd have to work with a fitter to see what makeup the set would comprise of to ensure that the gapping is even. My current set is a 3-PW set but I'm wondering if I wouldn't benefit from a 5-GW setup with more hybrids on the bottom end. I think I would go with the King Black one length wedges, so I can test the durability of the black finish through the season and continue with the one length theory. As for the driver, again I don't think I'd choose until I get with a fitter and see which F8 series head works best for me. After all, the ultimate goal for this testing opp is to see how much you could improve with a completely fitted set with the arccos system.

MDGolfHacker

I'm curious as to whether winners will get a choice of one length vs. graduated length irons. I'd try anything.

I do feel like one length irons are a great idea for beginning golfers. Eliminating a variable can only help someone just starting out.

And maybe someone who's been playing for 38 years as well.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver - F8+ stiff

Fairway - F8+ stiff 15°

Hybrid - F8 3 & 4h stiff

Irons - F8 5-PW stiff in graphite

Wedges - King Pur 50°, 56° & 60° regular graphite

Just love what Cobra is doing right now in R&D

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Huh, sneaky thought I just realized, not that it matters much to me. If picked, I'm gonna have to give up the Flat Cat on my putter since its hole for the Arccos is on the side of the grip. Good thing I've kept my old SS grips.

I would definitely choose the one-lengths. In my best estimation, these clubs would benefit any golfer who maybe has decent fundamentals or athleticism but has yet to build a repeatable swing. I am currently sitting at a 21 hdcp because I hit about 50% of my iron shots pure, 30% slightly off but decent (advancing the ball but missing the target by +/- 30 yards), and 20% total flubs, usually of the "hitting 3 inches behind the ball"-variety. I feel like swinging a 7i every time will help me get rid of some of my random fat shots as well as tighten-up my dispersion. I can live with inconsistent gapping because I'm not a scratch-caliber player.

For my bag:

Driver: Cobra F8, -1" length, +2 wraps, ProjectX HZRDUS Black shaft (pretty much my current driver setup, which is an F6)

3W: Cobra: F8

Irons/Hybrids: Custom 8-piece set 4-GW, KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff shafts, +2 wraps, +1/2" long, 2* upright

I'm curious as to whether winners will get a choice of one length vs. graduated length irons. I'd try anything.

I do feel like one length irons are a great idea for beginning golfers. Eliminating a variable can only help someone just starting out.

And maybe someone who's been playing for 38 years as well.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

I re-read the contest rules and it just stated "The five golfers selected will receive a full bag of Cobra, featuring the new F8/F8+ driver, F8 fairways and hybrids, F8 irons and KING wedges – all custom built to your specs." so as long as it's an F8 series club including the one length F8 irons, it should be ok. I've been fascinated with the one length and think it could help me be more consistent. I've been as low as a 7.8 index but now hovering around a 16.8 just because I can't practice like I used to but having one length irons might mitigate the lack of practice. Instead of re-learning ball positions for different lofted irons, it's all the same placement. One less thing to worry about too.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

Well, the results are in, and so am I! My pre-selection club's w/b:

King F8 Driver w/Tensei Blue 50 Regular

King F8 3-4 & 5-6 w/Tensei Blue 50 Regular

King F8 3 Hybrid w/UST Recoil 460 Regular

King F8 Combo Irons, 5 Hybrid and 6-GW w/UST Recoil 460 Regular

King F8 SW & LW w/UST Recoil 460 Regular

All irons bent with 2* Flat

GW 50* Loft bent to 49*

SW 55* Loft bent to 53*

LW 60* Loft bent to 57*

I think it is very important to keep the same iron shaft through the LW, so I choose the F8 Wedges over the King Specialty Wedges.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

GW 50* Loft bent to 49*

SW 55* Loft bent to 53*

LW 60* Loft bent to 57*

I think it is very important to keep the same iron shaft through the LW, so I choose the F8 Wedges over the King Specialty Wedges.

Nice looking setup Foz!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

GW 50* Loft bent to 49*

SW 55* Loft bent to 53*

LW 60* Loft bent to 57*

Congratulations.  Looking forward to hearing your reviews of the clubs.  You picked out an awesome bag of clubs there!

• Like 1