Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Snapped shaft, under hosel..?

After buying a Callaway XR 3i, to remove my fear of long irons, I have inadvertently created both a monster (3i head, Fujikura Green shaft..) and a bug for club building. I am well aware that I'll never get a career in this BUT sorting bits for myself and my buddies will definitely appeal to me going forwards. I am a tinkerer by nature.

After re-shafting a friend's 718 T-MB 2i with a PX LZ 105 6.5 shaft, we thought he was sorted. X100 was too heavy for him, but the LZ being a bit lighter was a mutant. He swings arguably too fast (iirc 122-127 w/ Driver) and ultimately snapped the LZ shaft under the hosel. Assessing the shaft, it was a complete snap and there was no obvious sign of anything protruding into the shaft or any warping/bending. When taking the tip that was left in the head out, there was about 10mm of shaft exposes, so it wasn't even caused by contact with the head.

Now, was this potentially me building incorrectly, or my friend just being a monster?

After buying a Callaway XR 3i, to remove my fear of long irons, I have inadvertently created both a monster (3i head, Fujikura Green shaft..) and a bug for club building. I am well aware that I'll never get a career in this BUT sorting bits for myself and my buddies will definitely appeal to me going forwards. I am a tinkerer by nature.

After re-shafting a friend's 718 T-MB 2i with a PX LZ 105 6.5 shaft, we thought he was sorted. X100 was too heavy for him, but the LZ being a bit lighter was a mutant. He swings arguably too fast (iirc 122-127 w/ Driver) and ultimately snapped the LZ shaft under the hosel. Assessing the shaft, it was a complete snap and there was no obvious sign of anything protruding into the shaft or any warping/bending. When taking the tip that was left in the head out, there was about 10mm of shaft exposes, so it wasn't even caused by contact with the head.

Now, was this potentially me building incorrectly, or my friend just being a monster?

I guess it's possible that the graphite LZ shaft had been sanded down too thin in the tip section. Did you really have to abrade it a bunch to get it to fit?

Other than that I'm guessing it's a flukey combo of him swinging really hard and a shaft that was a little weak. As a club builder we don't really do a heck of a lot more than clean everything and glue it together. There's not a lot to get wrong.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Was there epoxy inside the shaft?  Too much epoxy that goes up inside the shaft can also lead to breakage.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Cheers for the feedback both. It was a steel shaft, but only light sanding from what I can gather. Where it snapped there wasn't much in the way of abrasion; I'd just run a little wet and dry around the tip after cleaning then dipped in acetone before committing to the reshaft.

As for epoxy, I'd made certain to be slightly sparing with it so I believe there was roughly 1/4" or so in the tip.

I'll blame my mate for being a mutant!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I would say if you had the correct sized steel shaft and tip(tapered or parallel) selected for that iron head I would say you just had a bad shaft unless your friend grossly mishit the ball.

Srixon Z785 8.5* Ventus 7X/Tensei Orange Pro TX70 

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 14* 42.5" Fuji Speeder Pro Tour Spec X 75

Wilson Staff Blades 3-PW TT DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX-RC 50/54/58 

Evnroll  ER2

Srixon  Z star XV

Golf Pride MCC

Archived