Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Gore-Tex puts out release US Ryder Cup Rain Gear

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Knew these were going to start coming:

In response to news reports at the Ryder Cup regarding the malfunction of the U.S. Team's rainwear, W.L. Gore & Associates today issued the following statement: (Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20101001/NE75257LOGO )

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101001/NE75257LOGO )

"It's unfortunate that the U.S. team at the Ryder Cup was not wearing uniforms with the GORE-TEX® brand, especially if the faulty gear ultimately interfered with performance," said Yvonne Erickson, marketing leader at W.L. Gore & Associates. "Gore has rigorous uncompromising standards in place to ensure that our products are of the highest quality, to back up our Guaranteed to Keep you Dry® promise to consumers. Gore and Sun Mountain Sports parted ways in 2006 and, therefore, GORE-TEX® brand technology was not used in the rain jackets and pants worn by the U.S. team this morning. We hope that the U.S. Ryder Cup Team will be wearing uniforms with GORE-TEX® product technology in the future."

ABOUT W. L. GORE & ASSOCIATES: Perhaps best known for its consumer products like GORE-TEX fabric and ELIXIR guitar strings, Gore is a leading manufacturer of thousands of advanced technology products for the electronics, industrial, fabrics and medical markets. The company is headquartered in Newark, Delaware, and employs approximately 8000 associates in 45 facilities throughout the world. For more information about W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. and GORE products, call 1-800-431-GORE or visit www.gore-tex.com.

GORE, GORE-TEX, and designs are trademarks of W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. ©2008 W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., 295 Blue Ball Rd., Elkton, Maryland, 800-431-GORE, gore-tex.com.

#TruthDigest

I wonder what the MyGolfSpy members use in the rain?

My Callaway rain suit is just excellent for the really heavy stuff and walking my dog. It is not heavy or restrictive.

Callaway rain shirt for light to heavy.

SunIce Typhoon striped pants (so I look like Phil) keep me dry but I sometimes tend to overheat and sweat.

The bags do get wet, Mizuno bag was soaked last time out, keep my gloves in a freezer bag now.

Callaway cart bag is pretty good and has a waterproof pockets that is full length.

Generally though I try to make do with a short sleeve rain shirt as I hate the restrictions of too much gear.

If a little chilly the Mizuno long sleeve shirts are excellent and one does not feel wet in them, the material warms up when wet, neat

Lastly my Sunice GoreTex pants are excellent when it is cooler and wet.

GoreTex is simply too expensive though.

What you got?

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

Fair weather golfing! Where's the fun in that?cool.gif

Actually, it has been rather nice here too, not the temps you guys have had down there though.

At least in this part of the "frozen north" I get to play golf year round except for maybe 3 weeks.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

I have a Dockers golf rain jacket, that has never let me down. I don't really have any rain pants. If it is going to be raining, I wear my Dockers water resistant slacks and they are awesome. I've never played in them during a downpour, but I have spilled an entire glass of water on them and the water just beaded up and ran off, didn't even get my undies the slightest bit wet.

My Gore Tex hunting rain gear is great.

I have a Dockers golf rain jacket, that has never let me down. I don't really have any rain pants. If it is going to be raining, I wear my Dockers water resistant slacks and they are awesome. I've never played in them during a downpour, but I have spilled an entire glass of water on them and the water just beaded up and ran off, didn't even get my undies the slightest bit wet.

My Gore Tex hunting rain gear is great.

I'm going to have to check on the Dockers... looked at them, but wan't sure if it was BS or not. I'm going to sound like a sissy, but I've been fortunate to not have to play in the rain the last two years. I don't even remember who made my rain jscket!

Going back to Gore-Tek... A) I didn't know they owned Elixir and :P that they are US-based. Pretty cool; worth checking out.

Agreed on the Dockers water resistance pants. They're actually so good that I'll go snow boarding in them if I plan to take it easy that day.

For rain golf I generally wear one of those Adidas dri fit shirts which work out pretty well, espcially for the $12 they cost me. Plus an umbrella on my walking cart to hide under when one of the typical BC monsoons hit.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Agreed on the Dockers water resistance pants. They're actually so good that I'll go snow boarding in them if I plan to take it easy that day.

For rain golf I generally wear one of those Adidas dri fit shirts which work out pretty well, espcially for the $12 they cost me. Plus an umbrella on my walking cart to hide under when one of the typical BC monsoons hit.

Two endorsements... I've moved from interested to serious!

Make sure they have the Dockers water resistant tag on them. I've got them from a store before, where the store tag said water resistant, but they weren't.

Thanks, Bones- that's something I know I would've glossed over. Anything that saves me future headaches is OK in my book! :)

I wonder what the MyGolfSpy members use in the rain?

Common sense to get out of a storm. If it rains, I get in the cart and drive to the clubhouse. I don't own raingear because I won't play in the rain. Not that I haven't or can't, I just prefer not to. I don't want to risk doing what a guy I work with did the first time out with his brand new clubs. 9th hole, he pulls his brand new 3 wood to hit an approach to a par 5 green over water. Swings, hits the ball and the club follows it, right into a pond. His wife, who bought them for a gift for him, was pissed.

So I choose not to play in the rain. Course with the weather we've had in Georgia the last few years, rain isn't really an issue, burned up greens are though.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I know Gore-Tex is good stuff, I've had it in various jackets or boots over the years, but this kind of press release makes them look bad in my eyes. Leave Sun Mountain's failure alone; kicking someone while they are down is poor form and doesn't make you look any better.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

To be honest, if I'm playing in the rain I don't even bother with a jacket unless it's cold. When it's warm I am going to get wet anyway, so I use an umbrella to slow it down and just wear my shirt as normal. When it's cold I don't want to get any of my nice sweaters wet, so I put on a rainproof jacket.

Archived