TESTERS WANTED! ×

[Mini Review] PXG Mini Gunboat vs Gunboat Original

puttingpirate

On the 8th of March a box arrived at my house with a new putter.

I loved my original Gunboat, but the footprint of it was annoying me in the bag. It was annoying as hell.

You can see it here how 'long' it was and it was popping out, and it was even more pronounced when using the cart bag.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPTSvTlhOwG/

But as I am in the end the Putting Pirate I was very reluctant to change my money maker. 

Those are the stats from my original that are a pretty good representation of its performance over 18 and 9 holes.

82AV3sx.png

hfoiWZ8.png

It's a club I can definitely rely on together with my trusty 56 degree wedge that usually leaves me with a 3footer to the flag.

Anyway. One bored evening, few too many whiskeys, yadi yada I have the gunboat mini. 

I actually changed my trusty grip to a fatso 2.0 from a scotty grip i loved but rest stayed the same.

The first round we didn't really like each other that much leaving me with a nasty 3.0 GIR puts

FvzIBRd.png

I mean 3 x 3putts was very annoying on the day, and if not the fact that Ive made 2 putts from the fringe and about 30 feet the putter would be swimming with the fishes by now. I decided to practice more, and give it another shot. And then another. And another. I played with the putter for about 20 rounds and actually my puts per hole declined by 0.09 but my GIR puts went up by 0.05. I mean those numbers are negligible in the big scheme of things, but hey Here they are after 20 rounds:

Gw9sZ2g.png

The feel on both is insane, the ball rolls off the face like crazy so if you like that style of a putter - i haven't found a better one yet.

A definite 5/5 from me.

Any questions - ask :)

Love the stats!  Would you be able to do a picture looking down on the both of them to show how "mini" the Mini Gunboat is compared to the original?  Also how is the face technology compared to Envroll and Ping Vault in terms of distance on off centered and getting the ball rolling? 

When I was looking for a new putter I went with Ping Oslo because I could hear significant less skipping of the ball vs Scotty and other putters.  I will admit that I wasn't able to test an Evnroll just because they only places that had them near me wanted me to charge me $100+ to go through a fitting just to hit it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Love the stats!  Would you be able to do a picture looking down on the both of them to show how "mini" the Mini Gunboat is compared to the original?  Also how is the face technology compared to Envroll and Ping Vault in terms of distance on off centered and getting the ball rolling? 

When I was looking for a new putter I went with Ping Oslo because I could hear significant less skipping of the ball vs Scotty and other putters.  I will admit that I wasn't able to test an Evnroll just because they only places that had them near me wanted me to charge me $100+ to go through a fitting just to hit it.

Sure, was meant to take some pictures and will do later.

Can't compare it to the pings, as I haven't used them. Scotties I didn't like, cause as you said - ball was coming off the face like the club had loft.

Evnroll I've had the 2 and 7. And they're great putters. Especially the 2 (I also had PXG mustang) as I love the shapes. But I couldn't really see the technology working for me when it came to stats. But their feel is great. However the sound wasn't to my liking. So PXG stayed in the bag.

Archived