Sign in to follow this  
Middler

Am I Good Enough To Get Custom Fit?

It probably won't do anything for single digit and below players, but this is the best video I've seen addressing custom fitting for a double digit HI player like me. And I've probably watched and read more than most.

They openly discuss all the thoughts and concerns I've wrestled with about custom fitting from a player AND a fitters POV. From will fitting provide value, being self conscious, etc.

If I knew of a fitter with this much insight, I'd gladly pay well for the experience. Unfortunately that's not always easy, and paying vs free isn't a guarantee either.

First in a series it appears:

• Like 2

I absolutely think it is worth getting fitted. I contemplated the same thing for over a year and finally did a trackman fitting last month. They extended my shaft length and gave me a +1° upright on my irons. It has made a significant difference in being able to hit the ball more consistently.

I have played 7-8 times since then and have shoot in the low 90s and even shot my first sub 90 round (89)! I was consistently in the 100s every round prior.

I can even tell the difference at the range too. I feel much more confident in my abilities. And when I make a good Swing, I know it by the ball flight.

Find a fitter that will apply the cost of fitting towards and club adjustments there may be when you're done.

• Like 1

Great video - can't wait to watch some of their other ones!

I don't know why you wouldn't think this doesn't apply to single digit guys. A 5 is as closer to a 20 in regards to playing capability and skill set than he is to a touring pro.

He may not think it but it's true.

In fact he's closer to a 18 than an LPGA player.

That last statement should get the juices going given that I've seen guys who are 3's speculate that they could beat an LPGA player or win one of their tour events.

At any rate thanks for the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Even the little stuff like finding the right clubheads, shafts and grip size (often overlooked in my opinion) can make a major difference, it doesn't have to be a two hour session to get some great results

Best golf channel on youtube right now.  Been talking about them quite a bit here.  Matt from TXG has even asked us to let them know what other types of videos we'd like to see.  Check out this thread!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/22531-tour-experience-golf-txg-on-youtube/page-3?do=findComment&comment=376993

• Like 3

I don't know how I missed it before jlukes. Thanks

When I got fit by the guy at the Sawgrass Tour Performance Center for MGS the fitter told me his favorite people to fit were mid and high handicappers because they often benefitted more from the fittings and it allowed them to enjoy the game better.

• Like 4

I think everybody should be fit if possible. I wish there was one closer than 5 hours from me.

• Like 1

I'm a 25 handicap and I'll be getting fitted for my whole bag tomorrow. Can't wait

• Like 4

I got fitted at a local golf shop for my new irons & 3H, and at a PGA Superstore for my driver & 3 wood. The jury is still out on whether either/both helped, waiting on weather to break. There was no measurable change on launch monitors. But I don't expect instant results, we'll see.

And BTW, neither of fitters I worked with knew 10% of what the guys on the video above seem to.

I got fitted at a local golf shop for my new irons & 3H, and at a PGA Superstore for my driver & 3 wood. The jury is still out on whether either/both helped, waiting on weather to break. There was no measurable change on launch monitors. But I don't expect instant results, we'll see.

And BTW, neither of fitters I worked with seemed to know 10% of what the guys on the video above seem to. IME many people say they can provide a fitting, fewer really can provide a value added experience.

• Like 1

I'm happy with the heads in my bag right now...do fitters do appointments where they fit people into their existing equipment...i.e., standard static fit...and then more dynamic fit on GC2/quad or Trackman?

I'm happy with the heads in my bag right now...do fitters do appointments where they fit people into their existing equipment...i.e., standard static fit...and then more dynamic fit on GC2/quad or Trackman?

They absolutely do. That is what I had done. They adjusted the lie angle on my irons to a +1º Upright and extended my shaft length by +.5".

I noticed an immediate difference in my ball flight with my irons, more consistent shots in the sweet spot.

I used Trackman to do this. Was $50 for the fitting and they applied it to the $30 it cost to adjust the irons. 

I had my first fitting on Trackman last year. I posted pics of the fitting studio in a previous post. The fitter that I went to see was partners with Ping and Titleist so those were the only brands that I got to try but I was predisposed to PING for some reason anyway. He had the standard offering of shafts and a few exotics. I'm a bit of a golf data nerd so I straight nerded out over how my ball flight changed as he made tweaks to the equipment through different flex shafts, different swing weights, and club heads. My goal was to break 90 at the beginning of 2017 and it finally happened on Father's Day. I shot an 89. I then set my sights on 85 but I have only managed to shoot an 86 till this point. That elusive 85 will happen this year as I am taking it more serious than ever including a current indoor simulator build. My only regret is that I did not go to Club Champion or some other option that did not have a current brand affiliation. I would have liked to try several different brands and club categories to get my ultimate fitting.

• Like 1

I don't know why you wouldn't think this doesn't apply to single digit guys. A 5 is as closer to a 20 in regards to playing capability and skill set than he is to a touring pro.

That last statement should get the juices going given that I've seen guys who are 3's speculate that they could beat an LPGA player or win one of their tour events.

Keep us humble, Rev.

Taking this off-topic, but anyone with a handicap that does not begin with + and thinks they can play to the level of an LPGA player has never watched one play in person. Their tournaments are so much fun to watch and they are so great with the fans, I do not understand why more golf fans don't come out to watch.

Bringing it back, everyone benefits from fitting. The difference in my daughter's game has been huge. As it has been for me.

• Like 1

Dude if you've got heads in a bag you've got bigger problems than golf...

• Like 3

I only meant most of the fitting videos I've seen would probably apply to a 5 handicap, and many fewer that an inconsistent 20+ handicapper might find helpful. And higher handicappers might be more self conscious than a 5 handicap player, the fitter has to know how to handle that.

Sure the static measurements and some dynamic measurements are universal. But I would think fitting someone who has a consistent shot shape (whatever HI), distance and strike pattern is different than fitting someone who kinda sprays the ball all over and whose sweet spot, path, clubface angle, dynamic loft, etc. vary all over the place. There are more players of the latter type than the former, but most fitting videos I've seen feature the former. That's all I meant.

I think a custom fitting is good whether your a + or a 20.  Your swing is always in some state of flux, it's just a 20 is more inconsistent than a lower HC.  Getting fitted as a high HC can at least give you a baseline to work from.

MDGolfHacker