Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Does anyone know of a template to set up a wedge chart? I saw a video on YouTube with Rick Shiels and his teacher Dan Whitaker last fall where they were dialing in his wedges. They made a chart for his 3 wedges for 1/3, 1/2, and full shots I believe and then he knew which shot with which wedge to hit at any specific yardage. The tee box and 125 yards and in is where I struggle most. I think I can shave 5 strokes this season by focusing on these areas. Any ideas?

:cobra-small: King F8 9 deg w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 stiff shaft

:callaway-small:  XR 16 3 Wood S Flex

:cobra-small:  Fly-Z 3/4 Hybrid S Flex

:cobra-small:  King F7 One Length 5-PW S Flex

:cleveland-small:  CBX Wedges 50, 54, & 58 deg wedge flex

:cameron-small:  Select GoLo Putter

This is widely considered the Dave Pelz method. He has a book all about training yourself in this way

Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible: Master the Finesse Swing and Lower Your Score (Dave Pelz Scoring Game Series) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0767903447/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_h5NTAbYBT06AW

Watch this.

You're welcome.

Thank you for the help jlukes and shankster. I am going to grab a copy of the Pelz book and I'm watching the Seve video now!

Does anyone know of a template to set up a wedge chart? I saw a video on YouTube with Rick Shiels and his teacher Dan Whitaker last fall where they were dialing in his wedges. They made a chart for his 3 wedges for 1/3, 1/2, and full shots I believe and then he knew which shot with which wedge to hit at any specific yardage. The tee box and 125 yards and in is where I struggle most. I think I can shave 5 strokes this season by focusing on these areas. Any ideas?

The easiest thing to do is take a piece of white tape and write the 3 distances on the tape and put it on each wedge or iron that you have calculated.  The other way would be to just use an excel spreadsheet and then print out/laminate the chart and hang on your bag.  i think you are overthinking finding a template,  it is just a listing of club and multiple distances. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The Pelz book is great, I refer back to it often.  Last season it had a permanent home on the coffee table in my home office.  I pulled it out a few weeks ago again once it looked like the snow was gone for good.  Everything is straight forward and simplified. 

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

• 2 weeks later...

Heres another link I've used. Obviously you have to convert to yards. Not a bad little pdf.

http://melbournegolfcoach.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/30-Golf-Practice-Drills_Peter-Knight.pdf

Thank you for the PDF. I am guilty of practicing without a purpose and trying to fix too many things at once. This is a great guide to dial me in and set some goals for my game this year. 

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, working on this myself and put together a template in Google Sheets: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RzcGxKyYZUCsIL3qc7BPdJiqj5S-AdvBqY1i59TBqJQ/edit?usp=sharing 

- Josh 

Clarkston, MI

Ping G410 9* Driver

Ping G410 14.5* Fairway

Ping G400 19* Hybrid

Callaway Epic Pro 4-P

Callaway MD4 50*-55*-60*

Odyssey #1 Versa

Not really what you asked for but my experience.

10 years ago I had the same issues for 90 yds and in where I had no distance control or swing control. Often I would find I concentrated on length of swing and decelerated.  I ended up simplifying it to full and half swing on my wedges.  I setup with my feet at 45' to target this limits my back swing. I started with 56' wedge which was giving me 60yds and gap up to 100 yds.

52' = 70Yds

PW= 80 yds

9i = 90yds

When i get to 90 yds this overlaps with my 60' wedge full so depending on the conditions and the lie and my striking confidence I will alternate between them.

Below 60 yds it becomes more of a feel shot and I will general alternate between 52' and 56' depending on the terrain between the ball and hole. If short sided then 60' or open 56' wedges

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

I made one of these a few years ago and have posted it in many wedge threads here. It is something like this.

Full swing is club head behind your head,

3/4 swing is ear high to ear high.

1/2 swing is waist high to waist high,

1/4 swing is knee high to knee high.

Club--Full--3/4--1/2--1/4

PW   125  100  70   40

GW   110   85   60   30

SW    90    75   45   25

LW     80   70   30   20

I actually include this and practice it with all clubs because it is pretty handy to know that you can hit a waist high 3 wood and it will bump and run 160 yards, because the build golf course fairways really close to trees.

These four swings with 12 clubs excluding your driver and putter will give you 48 distances on your chart.

But more importantly, you will also be able to base other distances off this. For instance, I was 93 yards from the flag on 13 today and knew from my chart ear high 3/4 swing with the GW was 85 and with the PW was 100, My options were to go either above ear high with the GW or less with the PW. Since it had just rained, while we were on the previous hole, I didn't think the PW would run up to the second level if it was short but the GW would not roll far, so I hit a GW with the back swing stopping at the top of my head. It landed a couple of feet from the flag and rolled to about 12 feet. Sadly, I missed the putt.

I counted 13 times I needed a partial shot and averaged about 12 feet from the hole using this system and 4 clubs.

My distances are unimportant to you. What is important is that you have a constant acceleration and a repeatable distance.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I watched that wedge chartvideo and reverse constructed a whole new swing from it.

Essentially, my 1/2 swing is where I can set my wrists at 90 degrees by the time my arms are level with the ground. After that I just worked up from there to 3/4 and full swing maintaining that 90 degree wrist set.

Made an enormous difference in distance control and went from fade to draw.

Club - 1/2 - 3/4 - Full

LW (60) - 45 - 60 - 75

SW (56) - 55 - 70 - 95

GW (52) - 65 - 85 - 105

Still working on the speed control, but what I've done so far helped me rethink my whole game. I highly recommend

Driver: Cobra F7+ - 3W: Cobra F7 - 2i: Cobra King Utility Iron - 3-PW: Mizuno MP 59 - 52/56/60: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 - Putter: Scotty Cameron Select 2.0

I made one of these a few years ago and have posted it in many wedge threads here. It is something like this.

Full swing is club head behind your head,

3/4 swing is ear high to ear high.

1/2 swing is waist high to waist high,

1/4 swing is knee high to knee high.

Club--Full--3/4--1/2--1/4

PW   125  100  70   40

GW   110   85   60   30

SW    90    75   45   25

LW     80   70   30   20

But more importantly, you will also be able to base other distances off this. For instance, I was 93 yards from the flag on 13 today and knew from my chart ear high 3/4 swing with the GW was 85 and with the PW was 100, My options were to go either above ear high with the GW or less with the PW. Since it had just rained, while we were on the previous hole, I didn't think the PW would run up to the second level if it was short but the GW would not roll far, so I hit a GW with the back swing stopping at the top of my head. It landed a couple of feet from the flag and rolled to about 12 feet. Sadly, I missed the putt.

On the 13th hole today, it's a par 3 that they are rebuilding the teeboxes and it will be about 200+ from the back tees. Today they had a temporary tee box with a mat to hit off at 93. I played with 4 long hitters and snickered to myself as they were hitting lob wedges almost full swings at this green. 4 out of 5 of us hit the green but the other 3 were no where close to the flag. 

I used the partial swing and two of those guys hit their ball twice before it was my turn to putt.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 1 month later...

This thread convinced me to go make a wedge chart today. Went to the end of the pretty empty range (95 degrees today) and hit 7-10 balls for each shot. Walked down range and used my range finder back to my bag where I was hitting from and figured out the avg distance. Really looking forward to putting it into use.

Finally decided it was time to do this after my round this morning. Hit more GIR than I ever have (15), but my proximity to the whole was awful on those GIR and didn't have any real good looks at birdie. Mostly due to distance control with wedges.

I've always been a “feel” player inside 100 yards but really feel like this could help a lot. After I got my avg distances I picked different random flags on the range and used distances from my chart and was hitting great wedges.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max / Fujikura Motore Speeder X-Stiff

Irons:  :ping-small: iBlade 3-PW / DG X100 Soft Stepped once

Wedges:  :vokey-small:  Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60 / DG S400

Putter:  :scotty-small: 2018 Newport 2

Ball:  :titelist-small: AVX

This thread convinced me to go make a wedge chart today. Went to the end of the pretty empty range (95 degrees today) and hit 7-10 balls for each shot. Walked down range and used my range finder back to my bag where I was hitting from and figured out the avg distance. Really looking forward to putting it into use.

Finally decided it was time to do this after my round this morning. Hit more GIR than I ever have (15), but my proximity to the whole was awful on those GIR and didn't have any real good looks at birdie. Mostly due to distance control with wedges.

I've always been a “feel” player inside 100 yards but really feel like this could help a lot. After I got my avg distances I picked different random flags on the range and used distances from my chart and was hitting great wedges.

Dang never thought to do that especially the part about lasering back to your bag

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Dang never thought to do that especially the part about lasering back to your bag

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

That's how I get my distances when I have new iroms I'm trying learn. I'll ride out to an empty hole go out to the fairway and place the bag. Hit shots then walk/ride down to the balls and laser back to the bag next to where I was hitting.

Also find a par 3 and hit from the different tee boxes testing each distance and iron.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

That's how I get my distances when I have new iroms I'm trying learn. I'll ride out to an empty hole go out to the fairway and place the bag. Hit shots then walk/ride down to the balls and laser back to the bag next to where I was hitting.

Also find a par 3 and hit from the different tee boxes testing each distance and iron.

That's a great idea. I've wondered about the best way to get a grip on the distances of new clubs. Should have known the professional iron buyer would have a good method. ;) ;)

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Just a follow up. Played my first round after making the wedge chart. Shot a 70 off of a 7 handicap. Wedges were on the money. It might just be coincidence but just getting the distance and knowing ok “3/4 56 degree wedge” gave me so many birdie opportunities today. Only ended up with 3 birdies, but had a ton of looks.

Some people think it's too mechanical to have a clock system but for me it looks like it's going to be something very beneficial.

I recommend at least giving it a try!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max / Fujikura Motore Speeder X-Stiff

Irons:  :ping-small: iBlade 3-PW / DG X100 Soft Stepped once

Wedges:  :vokey-small:  Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60 / DG S400

Putter:  :scotty-small: 2018 Newport 2

Ball:  :titelist-small: AVX

Archived