TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titleist Ball Fitting

revkev

I went for a ball fitting today at the Club. I learned a few things.

First your swing is your swing whether you're hitting it great or crappy. Currently I'm in the crappy camp but I still had a positive AoA with the driver, was shallow with 7 iron and spot on with the 50 yard wedge actually with 2 different wedges for the same distance.

Second while I'm not going to open the debate door about players, GI or super GI the ball fitter shed some light on a better way to look at iron choices. My launch on the 7 and spin rate were lower than you'd like.

I asked about a lighter shaft with a lower kick point and he said it wouldn't be enough. He'd recommend less loft. 2 degrees less loft and I'd get a higher launch, more spin, better carry. But he also said that the more radical approach would be to try Super GI irons in the 6 and 7. I could live that but the problem will be matching the shaft to my PW,9,8. I'm not super keen on the shafts in my irons, haven't been from the start. I prefer lighter. We will have to see how I try to tackle that one.

Third, get rid of any thought about a 3 wood. But he likes my fairway wood choice which is the SLDR 3 HL cranked up - actually he loved my bag except the 6 and 7 irons. He was not surprised to learn that I'm a MGSpyer. My bag fits my game rather than a tour players and that's unusual was his comment.

Fourth, I've lost about 5 mph of clubhead speed over the past three years. I'm working on that through improved fitness but it is what it is and I didn't really need a launch monitor to tell me.

Fifth, the Pro V launches lower than the Pro VIx. That was certainly true for me by about 1.5 degrees! That translated into a significant difference in yardage between the two.

Ended up with the ProVIx - that's always been the case that I fit better in that type of ball. Fourth ball fitting, second with Titleist, always end up with that ball type. I need the higher launch and greater spin off the mid irons that the Ix brings. At this point I'm also used to the firmer feel of that type of ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

First your swing is your swing whether you're hitting it great or crappy. Currently I'm in the crappy camp but I still had a positive AoA with the driver, was shallow with 7 iron and spot on with the 50 yard wedge actually with 2 different wedges for the same distance.

Second while I'm not going to open the debate door about players, GI or super GI the ball fitter shed some light on a better way to look at iron choices. My launch on the 7 and spin rate were lower than you'd like.

I asked about a lighter shaft with a lower kick point and he said it wouldn't be enough. He'd recommend less loft. 2 degrees less loft and I'd get a higher launch, more spin, better carry. But he also said that the more radical approach would be to try Super GI irons in the 6 and 7. I could live that but the problem will be matching the shaft to my PW,9,8. I'm not super keen on the shafts in my irons, haven't been from the start. I prefer lighter. We will have to see how I try to tackle that one.

Third, get rid of any thought about a 3 wood. But he likes my fairway wood choice which is the SLDR 3 HL cranked up - actually he loved my bag except the 6 and 7 irons. He was not surprised to learn that I'm a MGSpyer. My bag fits my game rather than a tour players and that's unusual was his comment.

Fourth, I've lost about 5 mph of clubhead speed over the past three years. I'm working on that through improved fitness but it is what it is and I didn't really need a launch monitor to tell me.

Fifth, the Pro V launches lower than the Pro VIx. That was certainly true for me by about 1.5 degrees! That translated into a significant difference in yardage between the two.

Ended up with the ProVIx - that's always been the case that I fit better in that type of ball. Fourth ball fitting, second with Titleist, always end up with that ball type. I need the higher launch and greater spin off the mid irons that the Ix brings. At this point I'm also used to the firmer feel of that type of ball.

Having never been to ball fitting before I did not realize how in-depth it is. I know when I went for my club fitting I used my game ball rather than whatever it was they had laying around. So I guess I kind of fit the clubs to the ball.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Interesting Rev especially ball speed. I missed the Titleist ball fitting here a short time ago (Flu) hope I can get invited next time it's here.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Interesting Rev especially ball speed. I missed the Titleist ball fitting here a short time ago (Flu) hope I can get invited next time it's here.

I'm stoked about Hurley, you?

He knew after 3 shots with the 7 iron that it would be the 1x. That's when I brought up whether or not I have trouble with 3 wood off the deck - duh. :)

Once I was honest about that and told him about MGS we were able to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time.

There's a reason why we have the handicap that we do. I drive the ball in play (he could see that), am very good from 125 in and hole my short putts.

I'm just not good at all from 125 to 200. My ability to score comes from how well I manage my misses in that range.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Most likely thst was the same crew thst was at my course in the fsll. Je said they would start in FL in the spring and work there way back north

They really went all in on these ball fittings. Hit 3 clubs, real Provs outside in real conditions with Trackman.

I encourage everyone to look for these in there town this spring. Its well worth the tjme, its free, and you usually get a two pack of the ball you were fit for.

Image1521931867.285860.jpg

Image1521931934.192179.jpg

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Most likely thst was the same crew thst was at my course in the fsll. Je said they would start in FL in the spring and work there way back north

They really went all in on these ball fittings. Hit 3 clubs, real Provs outside in real conditions with Trackman.

I encourage everyone to look for these in there town this spring. Its well worth the tjme, its free, and you usually get a two pack of the ball you were fit for.

attachicon.gifImage1521931867.285860.jpg

attachicon.gifImage1521931934.192179.jpg

Your grass is coming in good, nice and green. Ours is the color of Guinness.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I got a couple of those two packs which could last me a month, easy. :)

BTW Rick our grass is beautiful.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Image1521931867.285860.jpg

Image1521931934.192179.jpg

Wish my club would have one of these. Would love to have a professional ball fitting. Have never done one before.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Wish my club would have one of these. Would love to have a professional ball fitting. Have never done one before.

Ask your Head Pro or GM to reach out to his local Titleist rep to request it. If your club sells any decent amount of their balls, they sre likely to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your grass is coming in good, nice and green. Ours is the color of Guinness.

Thst was last fall. This was our grass two days ago

IMG_1965.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SPY VIP

Feels like ball fitting is starting to get better.   Because of how balls are engineered, the majority are going to be long-ish off the tee.  I can't stand ball fittings where you more or less hit several different balls into a net with your driver. I know this was Bridgestone's deal when they were working toward the "#1 ball fitter in golf" moniker, but it never made sense to me to fit a ball based on one out of fourteen clubs.

My hunch is this was the one place it felt it could gain on Titleist.

Now, Titleist seems to be taking a different approach.

I understand individual fittings can only be so thorough in any type of commercial setting, but at least with this approach you get to hit real balls off real turf with multiple clubs. If they'd use a Foresight launch monitor, you could get even more accurate data.

Feels like ball fitting is starting to get better. Because of how balls are engineered, the majority are going to be long-ish off the tee. I can't stand ball fittings where you more or less hit several different balls into a net with your driver. I know this was Bridgestone's deal when they were working toward the "#1 ball fitter in golf" moniker, but it never made sense to me to fit a ball based on one out of fourteen clubs.

My hunch is this was the one place it felt it could gain on Titleist.

Now, Titleist seems to be taking a different approach.

I understand individual fittings can only be so thorough in any type of commercial setting, but at least with this approach you get to hit real balls off real turf with multiple clubs. If they'd use a Foresight launch monitor, you could get even more accurate data.

They did use a LM. I don't know what type it was but it had plenty of data. The only negative was we were on the front part of the range so it was a down hill, very tight lie.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

They did use a LM. I don't know what type it was but it had plenty of data. The only negative was we were on the front part of the range so it was a down hill, very tight lie.

They use Trackman.

Hmm that's interesting- our rep came and was on the putting green. Offered ball samples and a card to write down my own findings. As well as some stickers- even though I didn't have 1 titleist club in the bag

I was told that the pro v1 and 1x were switching characteristics- it certainly seemed that way because the 1x performed way different than the 2014 pro v1x( my favorite) I was playing and I ended up liking the pro v1.

In any case they didn't watch me hit any of the shots. Glad you got some feedback though!

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Just to clear up that rumor. The ProV's have NOT switched characteristics. And this is from a direct 1-1 conversation with the Senior VP of Golf Management. Basically the guy who is the top ball guy in the company.

They have narrowed the performance traits gaps between the two, but only marginally. V still spins more than X amd X still launches higher, although not quite as high as the 2015 ball. The current V is a 2017. Next update to it will be in 2019 (official release) it will start showing up on tour most likely jn the fall.

That is exactly what my guy told me.

The only changes to the 2017 Pro VIx was dimple depth to help improve stability in the wind. The Pro VI had changes made to the core to help equalize the distance between the two.

1x still spins less off the driver, more with middle irons, both offer comparable spin around the green and the Pro VI feels softer and launches lower.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Yes!! Thanks Rev.

That's exactly the way he explained it to me last fall, i couldn't remember the details on the dimples and core.

Yeah basically the V players on Tour wanted the distance the X was providing.

Thanks for adding that.

I switched to Bridgestone honestly from all of the hype and my thoughts that I wasn't good enough to play a Pro V1. I did their fitting and tried a few different versions of their ball. I found a brand new Pro V1 right off of the path today and played it for the next 7-8 holes until I lost it lol. There was a remarkable difference IMO. I got a lot more check up and the flight was more penetrating. I'm going to have to give these another look.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:cobra-small: King F8 9 deg w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 stiff shaft

:callaway-small:  XR 16 3 Wood S Flex

:cobra-small:  Fly-Z 3/4 Hybrid S Flex

:cobra-small:  King F7 One Length 5-PW S Flex

:cleveland-small:  CBX Wedges 50, 54, & 58 deg wedge flex

:cameron-small:  Select GoLo Putter

The affordable answer for me is buying new logo overruns. A course here has em @ $35 dz.

Titleist has by far the better ball fitting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Another option is if you can find any of the Practice balls on sale anywhere.  They are structurally the exact same ball and passed all quality checks except for some cosmetic imperfection. And it's almost always an imperfection that you and I would never notice, but that is picked up in the inspection process at the ball plant.  

The fitting was great because they guy gave me equipment advice without pushing his equipment.

I bought a set of G30 irons based on his recommendation and bang they gave me exactly what he said they would. A tad more loft but broader platform plus a lighter and longer shaft equaled a tad steeper AoA, straighter divots, straighter shits with about five yards more carry with the 6 and 7 iron and far better results on mishits both thin and fat.

Honestly there weren't that many of those the more I got used to the clubs. And I had a terrible wind direction to practice in for my shot shape.

You have to love getting a trained eye outdoors with a launch monitor and quality golf balls on your swing.

I think it helps when they know you're a member at a private club. Plus my pro told him that their resident Reverend was up next. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That's awesome. They did a great job at our place. Kinda told one of our guys same thing. Don't change your driver..... He was hitting a G30

Really adds credibility when they tell you something like that.

Archived