TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best courses in Ocala/Villages area

glenk69

My sister moved to The villages in Florida a few years ago and Ive consequently been able to play a lot of golf there and in the area. And while the Villages courses are fun and in great condition, they are over priced and sort of all the same so generally unimaginative. I thought a fun thread would be to review the other courses in are that I've played. In order of best, most fun course. Many of these courses you can get at 20 to 40 bucks on GolfNow or with coupons.

1. Candler Hills Ocala area - definitely deserve its high rankings. Great shape, true greens, imaginative layout - but not super hard, very wide open, no water. Payed $30.

2a. Juliette Falls in Dunellon. Beautiful course...fun, challenging, fair and in great shape. Payed $50.

2b. Mission Inn, Las Colinas in Howey in the Hills. Everything I said about Juliette Falls holds here, but at a great resort. Payed 72$. They also have another course that is mored heralded and diffucult, el campeon, that I havent played.

4. Black Bear, towards Orlando. Great difficult course, with tough bunkers and greens.25 to 40 bucks.

5. Deer Island-Tavares. Fun but tough target course with lots of water. The course and its homes are an island. Paid 35.

6. Ocala National - great local course, good shape.

7. Harbor Hills - solid semi private that has a few really tricky greens.

8. Club at Silver Springs. Enjoyable course, pretty tough, not in as good shape as others.30

9. Arlington Ridge - putting this on here begrudgingly, its a great design that is often in horrible shape. Often doesnt get much TLC or water. Check recent GolfAdvisor reviews to find out condition.

10. CC at Mount Dora - semi private that is very difficult, okay shape. Its beautiful, but I didnt find it much fun. Grainy greens.

Paid 35.

11. Country Club at Penbrooke fairways. Not a great front nine, esdentially a par 29. But back nine is fun and challenging. This is high on the list because its cheap and easy to get on. Paid 19.

12. Links at Spruce Creek South in Leesburg. Fun, straightforward course, nothing fancy. Have paid 20 to 36 on this.

13. Stonecrest in Leesburg- ok layout, could be fun, but often in bad shape. 20 to 30 bucks.

14. Continental, Legends and Royal Highlands are very Ok courses that you may try depending on price and condition.

99. Miona lake golf club in Wildwoid - plain layout, usually horrible shape. Hate this course, dont go. 20 bucks.

Glen

From Michigan

Driver: Ping g30 9* w/Ping Tour S shaft

3W: TEE CBX 119 w/Excaliber Tour 6* Stiff shaft

5W: Maltbly Tour TC with UST V2 Shaft in Stiff

Hybrid: Adams Pro 23* w/Excaliber Classic RT shaft Stiff

Irons: Adams MB2 (5-7) Adams Pro Forged (8-9) Maltby MMB17(PW) w/Excaliber Avalon I9 shafts Stiff

Wedges Honma 50* Hogan Eq. 54* TM Bronze Hi-Toe 58* w/Excaliber Pro X Shafts Stiff

Putter: Wilson the L

I'm sure RickP will answer you soon as he lives at The Villages. If not, shoot him a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Welcome - thanks for the reviews.

You need to play World Woods when you're down. It will cost more but it is several notches above the courses you've listed.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Stone Creek in Ocala is a fantastic course... you should check it out!

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

What about Ocala Municipal?, home of the “Doug Oswald Invitational” located between downtown Ocala and Silver Springs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you're a visitor/guest to the Villages prices are higher $50 range. If you are a resident like I am and have a Priority golf membership pricing is quite a bit less. I don't really pay attention but I know in peak season I pay $40, summer somewhere in the $20. Try Belle Glade and Evans Prairie both can be “interesting”.

I haven't made any “field trips” outside the Village “Bubble” in a year due to some health issues. Some of the courses listed are pretty good and I did have a chance to play them a few years ago. The one you have listed as 99, should be a parking lot. Stay away from Water Oaks also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Stone Creek in Ocala is a fantastic course... you should check it out!

Okay, I'll have to try that one.

Glen

From Michigan

Irons: Adams MB2 (5-7) Adams Pro Forged (8-9) Maltby MMB17(PW) w/Excaliber Avalon I9 shafts Stiff

Wedges Honma 50* Hogan Eq. 54* TM Bronze Hi-Toe 58* w/Excaliber Pro X Shafts Stiff

If you're a visitor/guest to the Villages prices are higher $50 range. If you are a resident like I am and have a Priority golf membership pricing is quite a bit less. I don't really pay attention but I know in peak season I pay $40, summer somewhere in the $20. Try Belle Glade and Evans Prairie both can be “interesting”.

I haven't made any “field trips” outside the Village “Bubble” in a year due to some health issues. Some of the courses listed are pretty good and I did have a chance to play them a few years ago. The one you have listed as 99, should be a parking lot. Stay away from Water Oaks also.

I was just down the last 3 weeks at Villages.  I played the Palmer Course and Bonifay.  Both great courses. Payed 62 bucks for each as a guest.  haven't played Evans Prairie, did play Belle Glade in 2017, loved it, felt it was my favorite Villages course after playing it.  Miona Lake is horrible.

Glen

From Michigan

I was just down the last 3 weeks at Villages. I played the Palmer Course and Bonifay. Both great courses. Payed 62 bucks for each as a guest. haven't played Evans Prairie, did play Belle Glade in 2017, loved it, felt it was my favorite Villages course after playing it. Miona Lake is horrible.

Played Mallory this morning very good condition.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Welcome - thanks for the reviews.

You need to play World Woods when you're down. It will cost more but it is several notches above the courses you've listed.

Pine Barrens was on my Must Play list for my Floriday trip and it didn't happen.  Which of their courses do you prefer??

Glen

From Michigan

$62 to play a good course... I think i might live in the wrong place. Playing any where for $20 to me would be playing a parking lot. In fact that would only get you 2 buckets of balls around here.

WITB - New Drive, Irons, and putter for 2019. What could possible go wrong?

Driver:   :callaway-small: EPIC 
3wd:  :cobra-small: BIO Cell+ 12.5*
2hb:  :callaway-small: Diablo Tour 18*
4-pw:  :srixon-small: 765
52*:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3
56*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
60*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 1

I was just down the last 3 weeks at Villages. I played the Palmer Course and Bonifay. Both great courses. Payed 62 bucks for each as a guest. haven't played Evans Prairie, did play Belle Glade in 2017, loved it, felt it was my favorite Villages course after playing it. Miona Lake is horrible.

Kinda funny. Up north $62.00 would be a no brainer to play Palmer Legends. In FL I pay $42.00 (member) and guys whine about the cost.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Pine Barrens was on my Must Play list for my Floriday trip and it didn't happen. Which of their courses do you prefer??

Won't answer for rev, but I've played Pine Barrens, and it's wonderful. The Oaks course looks great as well. World Woods also has a SUPER COOL practice area. The putting area (WAY more than just a “green”) is unbelievable.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 1 year later...
On 3/29/2018 at 12:28 PM, glenk69 said:

Pine Barrens was on my Must Play list for my Floriday trip and it didn't happen.  Which of their courses do you prefer??

On 3/30/2018 at 9:09 PM, MGoBlue100 said:

Won't answer for rev, but I've played Pine Barrens, and it's wonderful. The Oaks course looks great as well. World Woods also has a SUPER COOL practice area. The putting area (WAY more than just a “greenâ€) is unbelievable.

Both courses at World Woods are fantastic, and always kept in very good condition. I've reviewed both after league play. That review thread also includes both Mission Inn courses mentioned and Sanctuary Ridge which wouldn't be a long road trip from Villages.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out