TESTERS WANTED! ×

Apps: GPS, Scorecard, Approach, Putting, Handicap, Stats

I'm sure this topic was already discussed. What apps have you found great to use for during your round for shot distances, approach shots, putting slopes, scorecard/handicap, etc.? I want to pick one and upgrade to have the full features this season. I had used 18birdies a little bit last year just to plan shots, keep my score and didn't upgrade, which that alone has been a great help and was an easy app to use.

I was just looking at GolfLogix which looks like they have green slopes mapped out which is great for approach and putts which could help cut a few strokes having that knowledge, and I don't think 18birdies does that. GolfLogix looks a bit spammy though and has a lot of pop-up windows, and you have to upgrade to get rid of ads. Not sure if I'm a fan of that.

Anybody upgrade GolfLogix? 18birdies? Any recommendations of other ones? What features have you used/appreciated? What benefits have you experienced? I imagine these apps have helped a lot of others out there cut some strokes down knowing distances better and help with reading putts. Thanks!

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

I've been using GolfPad GPS. It's OK, but it's a pain to mark shots with your phone. I don't want to bother with the tags. I'd rather go with Arccos if I go that route.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I also use GolfPad. The only thing it doesn't have is green slope. I like it a lot, unlike Looper, I don't find it that much of a pain to mark my shots because I get the phone out for distances. They've also just added a pin marker feature, so you can mark the pin on the green for putting distances.

I also have The Grint GPS but haven't used it as yet. I got in on a deal with GolfPad to have the upgrade for a one time fee, not sure if they are still doing that. The Grint gave me a Pro membership for helping my club out becoming compliant, but I think that's just for 12 months.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

IGolf for me

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Using 18 birdies so far its decent enough for my needs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Driver: Taylormade M2 - Fujikura Pro 60

3 Wood: Taylormade M1 - Graphite Design BB-6X

Irons: Srixon Z745  5-PW - UST Recoils 110

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3  54,60* - UST Recoils 125

Putter: Cleveland Elevado CB

Ball: Vice Pro

I also use GolfPad. The only thing it doesn't have is green slope. I like it a lot, unlike Looper, I don't find it that much of a pain to mark my shots because I get the phone out for distances. They've also just added a pin marker feature, so you can mark the pin on the green for putting distances.

I also have The Grint GPS but haven't used it as yet. I got in on a deal with GolfPad to have the upgrade for a one time fee, not sure if they are still doing that. The Grint gave me a Pro membership for helping my club out becoming compliant, but I think that's just for 12 months.

MattF - What kind of phone do you have? I feel like the GPS in my phone is not yet accurate enough, so I wind up using my laser for most yardages. I tend to buy cheap phones because I trash them, but if there's a phone with an accurate enough GPS chip, it may be worth an upgrade. And I could just let my daughter keep the laser. It's in her bag half the time anyway.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I use the free version of GolfLogix It's pretty accurate using it with a iPhone 7. I like because you can move the “target” to see how far that bunker or pond or whatever is. Not sure if it has green slope or not. It also keeps your handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

I've used GolfPad and liked it, but it didn't have a couple of courses that I play, so I went to 18birdies. I've had good luck with it, and it has certainly been accurate enough for me. I've downloaded The Grint, but haven't used it yet, so I don't have an opinion on that right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I use 18birdies mainly for the hole overview and "general" yardage - When needed. Not really looking to use it for precise to the pin yardage but primarily for when i cant laser a tree/bunker/ravine etc. 

I also wear a Garmin S2 - so i've got it all covered! 

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Previous WITB:

:taylormade-small: Driver R11s 9*

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood Rocketballz Stage 2 TP 15*

:adams-small: 3 Hybrid 19*

:taylormade-small: Irons 4-PW R11

:taylormade-small: Wedges TP 52*, 56*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Putter Rossa Mallet

Instagram - @joyzee1010

MattF - What kind of phone do you have? I feel like the GPS in my phone is not yet accurate enough, so I wind up using my laser for most yardages. I tend to buy cheap phones because I trash them, but if there's a phone with an accurate enough GPS chip, it may be worth an upgrade. And I could just let my daughter keep the laser. It's in her bag half the time anyway.

I also have a Neo Ghost GPS that gives me exact yardages to the front, middle and back of the green plus bunkers/hazards. Also can track how far you hit the ball. GPS is very accurate and is nice to accurately track how far each shot is to dial in clubs constantly. Very cheap and helpful. Kind of want the new watch version for convenience.

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)

I use the free version of GolfLogix It's pretty accurate using it with a iPhone 7. I like because you can move the “target” to see how far that bunker or pond or whatever is. Not sure if it has green slope or not. It also keeps your handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, I like that feature of moving the target and then having green slopes. But don't like all of the pop up help screens. Do they go away after you have used it longer? I looked in the settings but couldn't find anything to turn then off.

I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment. We'll be upgrading around May and will be getting either a Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 2.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment. We'll be upgrading around May and will be getting either a Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 2.

"They" do say if your GPS on your phone isn't mapping correctly, move it in a figure 8 motion for a few minutes. Maybe the tech geeks put that knowledge out there to make have look like idiots hahaha. I think it has some merit to it though.

So you get good readings with your phone? Might be worth it to switch.

"They" do say if your GPS on your phone isn't mapping correctly, move it in a figure 8 motion for a few minutes. Maybe the tech geeks put that knowledge out there to make have look like idiots hahaha. I think it has some merit to it though.

I haven't played with GPS tech in about seven years, but at one time I was working on a project to track freight with GPS devices (we were prototyping with BlackBerries). We found back then that GPS devices did not like to stay still. They needed to be on the move. We'd have a device sitting on our desk running our software reporting its location, and we'd watch it drop pins on the map like it was wandering around the block. Maybe it's still that way to some extent?

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Yeah, I like that feature of moving the target and then having green slopes. But don't like all of the pop up help screens. Do they go away after you have used it longer? I looked in the settings but couldn't find anything to turn then off.

Only ads I've noticed is after you enter your score and putts and driving accuracy. None that “pop up”.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

So you get good readings with your phone? Might be worth it to switch.

Yes sir. I look at the map on the GPS and it's either spot on or maybe a yard off.

With the figure 8 thing, IIRC I had to do that with maybe my MIL new Pixel 2 when she got it in February.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I use 18 Birdies and like it. I love being able to move target around to hazards, etc. GPS accuracy seems very good, but my phone acts flaky every now and then and has the starting point wrong. As long as I pay attention and catch it, I can manually move starting point, too. Most of the time it is off, it is pretty obvious.

I have been tempted to try other apps (Grint, Game Golf are a couple I have on my phone) but I don't really want to lose the rounds I have entered in 18 Birdies.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I've used The Grint for about 2 years.  I like it.  Recently had a deal to Upgrade to the "Pro" membership, which gives you advanced statistical data.  As a couple others have noted, it gives you a USGA compliant handicap, and can also handle small "tournaments" with your buddies, which is why I downloaded it originally; was on a buddies' trip.  GPS seems pretty good, I will often laser if not sure.  It doesn't have green slope.  You have to look, just like the Scotsmen did.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I use GolfPad GPS as well.  This will be my 3rd season playing with it.   I use a Magellan Echo smart watch with it, so I am able to mark my shots(shot, putt, penalty) with that and see distance to front, middle, and back of the green.  Apple Watch also works with it, but I don't like having to remember to charge it every few days.  The Echo lasts months.   The distances have almost always been spot on for me, and I have found that when they aren't its because that hole was mapped incorrectly, so I just edit the hole then and there.  

To track which club I actually hit the shot with, I just use the phone between holes to select the clubs I hit each shot with.  

Driver: Ping G30 10.5*, Stiff

FW: Ping G 5W, Stiff

Hybrid: PING G 19* Stiff,  Ping G400 22* Stiff

Irons: Taylormade M3 4-PW 3* Up, Project X 5.5

Wedges:  Vokey SM7 50* and 54*, Cleveland RTX 2.0 60* 2dot

Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne, 35" PP62 grip

Ball: Srixon Z Star and Pro V1x when I find them looking for my ball

Southpaw who plays golf and bats right handed in Chicago, current index is 14.8

I guess I'm a dinosaur. I still have a subscription with my sky caddie sg5 and use their online app. Once my subscription expires, I'll probably move to one of the previously mentioned apps.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Only ads I've noticed is after you enter your score and putts and driving accuracy. None that “pop up”.

Blake

Sorry, I should clarify. I noticed a lot of tips/help pop-ups on how to use the app. Do those ever go away over time? 

I guess I'm a dinosaur. I still have a subscription with my sky caddie sg5 and use their online app. Once my subscription expires, I'll probably move to one of the previously mentioned apps.

MDGolfHacker

I used an old SkyCaddie until it finally died. No complaints, other than the subscription. But their maps are fantastic. I went to a laser to avoid subscriptions.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Sorry, I should clarify. I noticed a lot of tips/help pop-ups on how to use the app. Do those ever go away over time?

My guess is if it's like any other apps those go away once you get the paid version.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Yes sir. I look at the map on the GPS and it's either spot on or maybe a yard off.

With the figure 8 thing, IIRC I had to do that with maybe my MIL new Pixel 2 when she got it in February.

Good to know. Time to see if I can pick up an S7 for cheap. Thanks!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I use an app called Grint for the iphone.  It has all the features like GPS, stats, and you get a FREE USGA compliant handicap. It's really surprising more people don't mention this app. Overall a great choice though.

I just downloaded it today and uploaded my scores from last year. I really like the stats feature and handicap. Stats feature is comparable to 18birdies and GolfLogix. Was able to see what my USGA handicap would be, but not confirmed. Do you get yours confirmed? How do you go about doing it?

So far from looking at 18birdies, GolfLogix, and The Grint I want to combine key features from each since some either don't offer them or lack:

Ultimate Golf App

• 18birdies: GPS/Caddie club recommendations for each distance (accounts for wind and elevation) feature. You can select the exact club and the distance you hit it typically and then when playing, it gives you recommendations on what club to hit based on the information you inputted.
  • 18birdies/GolfLogix/The Grint: Shot tracking/shape. Haven't tested these yet. 
  • GolfLogix: Approach and Putting green slope maps
  • The Grint: Stats and Handicap Stats (Login to Desktop website)

Still need some more time to think things over and maybe test one this season and then another next. Definitely going to use The Grint free version to at least record my scores (I have my scores in all 3 apps right now).

Still like the idea of the approach and putting slope information to target a certain portion of the green and then knocking in some longer putts.

@MWGolf23 I'm not sure what you mean by confirmed. I just looked at mine and can't find anything that says confirmed or not confirmed. The only thing I can find is that my club is compliant. Actually, it may mean that you don't have any scores attested, which can only be done by other members of your Grint club that you've played that round with.

In the bag:

Bag: 

@MWGolf23 I'm not sure what you mean by confirmed. I just looked at mine and can't find anything that says confirmed or not confirmed. The only thing I can find is that my club is compliant. Actually, it may mean that you don't have any scores attested, which can only be done by other members of your Grint club that you've played that round with.

I think you are correct about being arrested. For a handicap to be considered legitimate it must be attested by a playing partner; solo rounds cannot be used for official handicap per USGA rules.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think you are correct about being arrested. For a handicap to be considered legitimate it must be attested by a playing partner; solo rounds cannot be used for official handicap per USGA rules.

Which is ridiculous, IMHO.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If he was referring to 18 Birdies, the app will allow you to enter a score any time, but if it is entered somewhat real-time and the GPS location matches the course of the score being entered, it "confirms" the round, not the same as being attested. If you enter your score when you get home, it stays as "unconfirmed" since the app can't verify you were even on a course. IIRC, only "confirmed" rounds factor in to the handicap calculation for that App.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Archived