Sign in to follow this  
MWGolf23

Apps: GPS, Scorecard, Approach, Putting, Handicap, Stats

I'm sure this topic was already discussed. What apps have you found great to use for during your round for shot distances, approach shots, putting slopes, scorecard/handicap, etc.? I want to pick one and upgrade to have the full features this season. I had used 18birdies a little bit last year just to plan shots, keep my score and didn't upgrade, which that alone has been a great help and was an easy app to use.

I was just looking at GolfLogix which looks like they have green slopes mapped out which is great for approach and putts which could help cut a few strokes having that knowledge, and I don't think 18birdies does that. GolfLogix looks a bit spammy though and has a lot of pop-up windows, and you have to upgrade to get rid of ads. Not sure if I'm a fan of that.

Anybody upgrade GolfLogix? 18birdies? Any recommendations of other ones? What features have you used/appreciated? What benefits have you experienced? I imagine these apps have helped a lot of others out there cut some strokes down knowing distances better and help with reading putts. Thanks!

I've been using GolfPad GPS. It's OK, but it's a pain to mark shots with your phone. I don't want to bother with the tags. I'd rather go with Arccos if I go that route.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also use GolfPad. The only thing it doesn't have is green slope. I like it a lot, unlike Looper, I don't find it that much of a pain to mark my shots because I get the phone out for distances. They've also just added a pin marker feature, so you can mark the pin on the green for putting distances.

I also have The Grint GPS but haven't used it as yet. I got in on a deal with GolfPad to have the upgrade for a one time fee, not sure if they are still doing that. The Grint gave me a Pro membership for helping my club out becoming compliant, but I think that's just for 12 months.

• Like 2

Using 18 birdies so far its decent enough for my needs.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I also use GolfPad. The only thing it doesn't have is green slope. I like it a lot, unlike Looper, I don't find it that much of a pain to mark my shots because I get the phone out for distances. They've also just added a pin marker feature, so you can mark the pin on the green for putting distances.

I also have The Grint GPS but haven't used it as yet. I got in on a deal with GolfPad to have the upgrade for a one time fee, not sure if they are still doing that. The Grint gave me a Pro membership for helping my club out becoming compliant, but I think that's just for 12 months.

MattF - What kind of phone do you have? I feel like the GPS in my phone is not yet accurate enough, so I wind up using my laser for most yardages. I tend to buy cheap phones because I trash them, but if there's a phone with an accurate enough GPS chip, it may be worth an upgrade. And I could just let my daughter keep the laser. It's in her bag half the time anyway.

• Like 1

I use the free version of GolfLogix It's pretty accurate using it with a iPhone 7. I like because you can move the “target” to see how far that bunker or pond or whatever is. Not sure if it has green slope or not. It also keeps your handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I've used GolfPad and liked it, but it didn't have a couple of courses that I play, so I went to 18birdies. I've had good luck with it, and it has certainly been accurate enough for me. I've downloaded The Grint, but haven't used it yet, so I don't have an opinion on that right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I use 18birdies mainly for the hole overview and "general" yardage - When needed. Not really looking to use it for precise to the pin yardage but primarily for when i cant laser a tree/bunker/ravine etc. 

I also wear a Garmin S2 - so i've got it all covered! 

I use an app called Grint for the iphone.  It has all the features like GPS, stats, and you get a FREE USGA compliant handicap. It's really surprising more people don't mention this app. Overall a great choice though.

• Like 3

MattF - What kind of phone do you have? I feel like the GPS in my phone is not yet accurate enough, so I wind up using my laser for most yardages. I tend to buy cheap phones because I trash them, but if there's a phone with an accurate enough GPS chip, it may be worth an upgrade. And I could just let my daughter keep the laser. It's in her bag half the time anyway.

I also have a Neo Ghost GPS that gives me exact yardages to the front, middle and back of the green plus bunkers/hazards. Also can track how far you hit the ball. GPS is very accurate and is nice to accurately track how far each shot is to dial in clubs constantly. Very cheap and helpful. Kind of want the new watch version for convenience.

• Like 2

I use the free version of GolfLogix It's pretty accurate using it with a iPhone 7. I like because you can move the “target” to see how far that bunker or pond or whatever is. Not sure if it has green slope or not. It also keeps your handicap.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Yeah, I like that feature of moving the target and then having green slopes. But don't like all of the pop up help screens. Do they go away after you have used it longer? I looked in the settings but couldn't find anything to turn then off.

I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment. We'll be upgrading around May and will be getting either a Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 2.

• Like 1

I have a Galaxy S7 at the moment. We'll be upgrading around May and will be getting either a Galaxy S9 or a Pixel 2.

"They" do say if your GPS on your phone isn't mapping correctly, move it in a figure 8 motion for a few minutes. Maybe the tech geeks put that knowledge out there to make have look like idiots hahaha. I think it has some merit to it though.

• Like 2

So you get good readings with your phone? Might be worth it to switch.

"They" do say if your GPS on your phone isn't mapping correctly, move it in a figure 8 motion for a few minutes. Maybe the tech geeks put that knowledge out there to make have look like idiots hahaha. I think it has some merit to it though.

I haven't played with GPS tech in about seven years, but at one time I was working on a project to track freight with GPS devices (we were prototyping with BlackBerries). We found back then that GPS devices did not like to stay still. They needed to be on the move. We'd have a device sitting on our desk running our software reporting its location, and we'd watch it drop pins on the map like it was wandering around the block. Maybe it's still that way to some extent?

Yeah, I like that feature of moving the target and then having green slopes. But don't like all of the pop up help screens. Do they go away after you have used it longer? I looked in the settings but couldn't find anything to turn then off.

Only ads I've noticed is after you enter your score and putts and driving accuracy. None that “pop up”.

Blake

So you get good readings with your phone? Might be worth it to switch.

Yes sir. I look at the map on the GPS and it's either spot on or maybe a yard off.

With the figure 8 thing, IIRC I had to do that with maybe my MIL new Pixel 2 when she got it in February.

• Like 1

I use 18 Birdies and like it. I love being able to move target around to hazards, etc. GPS accuracy seems very good, but my phone acts flaky every now and then and has the starting point wrong. As long as I pay attention and catch it, I can manually move starting point, too. Most of the time it is off, it is pretty obvious.

I have been tempted to try other apps (Grint, Game Golf are a couple I have on my phone) but I don't really want to lose the rounds I have entered in 18 Birdies.

I've used The Grint for about 2 years.  I like it.  Recently had a deal to Upgrade to the "Pro" membership, which gives you advanced statistical data.  As a couple others have noted, it gives you a USGA compliant handicap, and can also handle small "tournaments" with your buddies, which is why I downloaded it originally; was on a buddies' trip.  GPS seems pretty good, I will often laser if not sure.  It doesn't have green slope.  You have to look, just like the Scotsmen did.

• Like 1

I use GolfPad GPS as well.  This will be my 3rd season playing with it.   I use a Magellan Echo smart watch with it, so I am able to mark my shots(shot, putt, penalty) with that and see distance to front, middle, and back of the green.  Apple Watch also works with it, but I don't like having to remember to charge it every few days.  The Echo lasts months.   The distances have almost always been spot on for me, and I have found that when they aren't its because that hole was mapped incorrectly, so I just edit the hole then and there.  

To track which club I actually hit the shot with, I just use the phone between holes to select the clubs I hit each shot with.  

• Like 1