Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Gapping

Mizuno2

I have a conundrum with gapping. Im having a hard time deciding what to do. 19* 5 wood and 28* 5 iron. I need to fill in between. I was kind of thinking with just one club. 4 iron, Driving iron, hybrid. Either one around 24* maybe. Any advice?

Sent from my SM-G950W using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Depends on the actual distance you are getting with the 4 iron, driving iron or hybrid. Choose the one that fits your distance gap the best and whichever one you hit the best.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Depends on the actual distance you are getting with the 4 iron, driving iron or hybrid. Choose the one that fits your distance gap the best and whichever one you hit the best.

MDGolfHacker

Well Distance wise would be around 215 with the ablity to stretch it a bit and take some off. My 5 iron is 190-195 and 5 wood is 240

Either club would be spec'd to get that yardage. Example would be 23/24 4 iron, 24 DI, 24/25 hybrid all with appropriate shafts. The 4 iron is pushing it a bit to get it to go 220 where the driving iron and hybrid is easier to step on.

Driver- Mizuno jpx Ez 9.5(set to low) with Matrix Red tie limited edition masters green with multicompound red platinum 44.5" f3 wood- Adams tight lies 16* Mitsubishi rayon fubuki x flex3-9 irons- Mizuno T-zoid pro irons s300 w sensicores47*, 56* Mizuno s5 wedge white satinPutter- odyssey #9 pro with super stroke 3.0All other clubs have different coloured multi compounds

Where will you be hitting from most often?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Ask your teacher or fitter.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good advice all the way around but hey would you expect anything but that from MGS members?

I will throw one more in with me not really knowing your game or confidence level but it is just a idea.

Try a 7 wood most are at 21* and you can hit a variety of shots with it. For me it is easier to hit than most lower lofted hybrids. I carry one with some of my different set ups. Right now I am carrying my older blades and I hit the lower lofted irons good. I am carrying a 18* 5 wood which is very versatile for my game. I can open it up some and increase the loft if I have to hit a high shot. Right now I am not carrying my 15* 3 or 4 wood or what ever you call it because I can hit the Homna driver off the deck the same distance and trajectory I hit the 15*. Really if I have a good or bad lie and it is over 200 yards I will hit my 2 iron with a low butt ugly cut that runs out.

In a nutshell you have to experiment some and find what fits YOUR confidence level and game and what will work for you. 

Note my signature is somewhat current but not exactly what I played yesterday because I experiment a lot especially on the vintage side of things but it is pretty much on. lately I have went back to a post 2002 set up for me with vintage blade irons and modern metal woods

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

A 24 hybrid is so much more versatile than the 4 iron. Find one that you can hit and don't fgive up on it because you hit it bad a couple times. They work really well off of tees, and are fairly easy to hit from the ground, (fairway, and rough). Rock bottom Golf has hybrids that you can get for really really cheap, new if you look.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

As others have said - get fit or at the very least go to a GG or equivalent and try out the differences between the two. In my bag I have 3 hybrids: 19, 22, 26  and the longest iron I have is a 6. On occasion I wish I had a 5 but I make do between the the 26* and the 6. The other strange thing for me is that I hit my crossover iron (Ping 400 - #3 which is 19*) off the tee better than my 19* hybrid so it's got a permanent place in my bag. FYI I sold my woods when I bought the hybrids - only because I wasn't consistent with them. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Mizuno, I don't know what the rest of your bag set up is, but it seems bizzare to split a 9 degree gap with only one club. Now, maybe it's in your signature and I can't see it because I'm on mobile, but my first move would be a 22 and 25 degree club. If you can only have one, I'd lean hybrid as well, but check your gapping and distances with a fitter to find the best fit for you

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Well Distance wise would be around 215 with the ablity to stretch it a bit and take some off. My 5 iron is 190-195 and 5 wood is 240

Either club would be spec'd to get that yardage. Example would be 23/24 4 iron, 24 DI, 24/25 hybrid all with appropriate shafts. The 4 iron is pushing it a bit to get it to go 220 where the driving iron and hybrid is easier to step on.

Which club are you most consistent with when stepping on it to get additional yardage? What kind of shot are you typically hitting with that yardage? Easier to hit greens with a hybrid that will go a little higher and land softer compared to an iron. What are the normal playing conditions do you play (ie are the greens where you are at mostly firm or soft, do you play in wind a lot? These are all considerations for the club to fit your gap. Hybrids tend to be easier to hit and are more versatile for bump and runs out of tall rough, but if you are more comfortable hitting irons, I say go with an iron.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

If you need to hit low shots often (under trees or wind) I'd go with the driving iron or 4 iron. If not, the hybrid really is the most forgiving. Another thing to consider is the roll out you can expect. The courses I play don't offer much roll and tend to have the front guarded, which makes the longer flight and higher descent angle a benefit. If you play linksy courses that favor a ground game, the iron or driving iron would probably be better.

Not saying what to do. Just giving you something to think about.

If you need to hit low shots often (under trees or wind) I'd go with the driving iron or 4 iron. If not, the hybrid really is the most forgiving. Another thing to consider is the roll out you can expect. The courses I play don't offer much roll and tend to have the front guarded, which makes the longer flight and higher descent angle a benefit. If you play linksy courses that favor a ground game, the iron or driving iron would probably be better.

Not saying what to do. Just giving you something to think about.

Great example and I do switch around certain clubs for certain courses I play here. A couple here I play I will switch out the 3 iron for the 7 wood or I do have one Adams Hybrid at 22* I hit so so. But I always keep the 4 iron and 2 iron when playing my blade irons. For some reason I absolutely can not hit the 3 thru 5 irons in my 2013 Cally X-Forged irons. One of the reasons I went back to older forged blades. Now when I played those Cally irons I carried my old Mac blade 5 iron and the Adams Hybrid and an old 19* TM Rescue. Finally I said screw it and went back to older blades. LOL I do keep what I call the "competition legal" bag if I ever play stipulated comp again complete with conforming Cally wedges and the 2013 X Forged--- Doubt I will ply comp again I am having too much fun playing like I am now with what I darn well please

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

All mine are in 4 degree increments to give me the proper distance gaps but my “5-iron” is a 26 degree (my Hogan irons have loft instead of numbers) so this is a bit interesting to me. I'm not a fan of hybrids over irons but I'm weird and a few of the other fellas here can probably attest to that 🤣. Anyways with that being said a hybrid really is a lot more versatile than an iron IF you can find the right one for you.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

All mine are in 4 degree increments to give me the proper distance gaps but my “5-iron” is a 26 degree (my Hogan irons have loft instead of numbers) so this is a bit interesting to me. I'm not a fan of hybrids over irons but I'm weird and a few of the other fellas here can probably attest to that 🤣. Anyways with that being said a hybrid really is a lot more versatile than an iron IF you can find the right one for you.

That's a big, big if. I still haven't found a hybrid that I can hit worth anything. Easier said than done, like so many things on golf.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Since this is such a tricky part of the bag to gap I would recommend an adjustable hybrid.  Cobra makes hybrids will a good range of adjustment and are typically sold as 3-4 or 4-5.  Purchase something you think is in the middle of the range and then you have flexibility.  This is why I have two Cobra hybrids in my bag.  

There is also a good Mark Crossfield video where he is getting fitted for a hybrid.  He has two stock shots with his hybrid a full standard swing that goes about 190 and a "chippy" cut that goes 175.  After seeing the video this winter I am going to be working on the chippy cut at the range this spring to get more range from each hybrid.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

That's a big, big if. I still haven't found a hybrid that I can hit worth anything. Easier said than done, like so many things on golf.

Yeah I hear ya aha

Since this is such a tricky part of the bag to gap I would recommend an adjustable hybrid. Cobra makes adjustable hybrids will a good amount of adjustment and are typically sold as 3-4 or 4-5. Purchase something you think is in the middle of the range and then you have flexibility. This is why I have to Cobra hybrids in my bag.

There is also a good Mark Crossfield video where he is getting fitted for a hybrid. He has two stock shots with his hybrid a full standard swing that goes about 190 and a "chippy" cut that goes 175. After seeing the video this winter I am going to be working on the chippy cut at the range this spring to get more range from each hybrid.

I watched that video to replace his rinky dinks. I do like the range of adjustablility from cobra and they can be picked up pretty cheap.

if I could've made the IF bigger I would lol

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Where will you be hitting from most often?

I think this is the absolutely bang-on question. If you're likely to be a fairway hitter, 7 wood as Ole Grey suggested might work. If it's deep rough, 4 iron is the way to go. Hybrids are probably a good medium ground between the two (especially the cobra ones with the rails on them)

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I watched that video to replace his rinky dinks. I do like the range of adjustablility from cobra and they can be picked up pretty cheap.

Just remember you can't adjust the loft during your round to suit that particular shot (according to USGA rules of course) so make sure you hit on a launch monitor to find the spot you like the best.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Cobra F7 hybrids can be had pretty cheap and the rails help soooooo much! If you haven't had the chance, look at the 3/4 or 4/5.

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I would go and hit a variety of different clubs and hit them with all the shots.

Regular, laying off it, really belting it, cuts/draws etc.

One may stand out over the other for versatility

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos