Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

correct hip turn/takeaway

I'm a righty who gets pain in the upper left hip, more like lower back about 5" left of the spine, after about 20 shots on the range. Tonight was worse and 100 shots sees me hardly being able to get up from sitting.

I think I might be reverse pivoting or top half leans over the left hip at the top of the swing or something. I do pull a lot of shots or pull fades.

Anyone experience this or any experts on here have a good idea (based on these symptoms) what it is, what I'm doing to cause it and whats the best way forward?

Thanks

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

My left hip decided to join my right hip in a pain battle royal. My right hip was broken a few years back so maybe Arthur is visiting. I'm not sure why the left hip starting flaring up. I'm back on Celebrex and it feels better. Maybe you need to try a good anti inflammatory.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Persevering - Do you work a desk job (like I do)? Sitting all day is a killer. Talk with your doctor or a PT about a good stretching regimen. And get up and walk around frequently.

I'm looking hard at the Drive 400 package, because the director of junior programs that I volunteer for has become a huge believer in foam rollers.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Persevering - Do you work a desk job (like I do)? Sitting all day is a killer. Talk with your doctor or a PT about a good stretching regimen. And get up and walk around frequently.

I'm looking hard at the Drive 400 package, because the director of junior programs that I volunteer for has become a huge believer in foam rollers.

I'll second this. I think most people don't realize how much time they spend sitting and the effect it has. I built a plywood top about 16 inches tall for my desk so I can do all my work standing up. I commute 1:15, and that's enough rear end time. If you sit a lot, it can really be hard on you in bad ways.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Yes, agree with the stretch + exercise to get golf fit. Foam rollers are a life saver!

I'd also suggest seeing a pro for an analysis. Request a video of your swing so you can see directly what's going on as you swing.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm a righty who gets pain in the upper left hip, more like lower back about 5" left of the spine, after about 20 shots on the range. Tonight was worse and 100 shots sees me hardly being able to get up from sitting.

I think I might be reverse pivoting or top half leans over the left hip at the top of the swing or something. I do pull a lot of shots or pull fades.

Anyone experience this or any experts on here have a good idea (based on these symptoms) what it is, what I'm doing to cause it and whats the best way forward?

Thanks

Impressive!! 100 shots... but then you are Scottish!   :D   But seriously,  I have a very similar pain in the same place; always on the left side above the hip, not the right side.  It really doesn't affect my game and I don't reverse-pivot; but afterwards... that's a different story.  I do several stretches before I play, and foam roller afterwards.  Mine is purely muscle-related; big knots.  I get massages every couple of weeks, and it helps for awhile.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'll second this. I think most people don't realize how much time they spend sitting and the effect it has. I built a plywood top about 16 inches tall for my desk so I can do all my work standing up. I commute 1:15, and that's enough rear end time. If you sit a lot, it can really be hard on you in bad ways.

I need to do the same. Our corporate office gives people the option of standing desks, and we have treadmills with laptop stands so you can walk while you work. Awesome idea. Unfortunately I'm remote and work from home most of the time I'm not on the road.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

yes desk job and car sitting a lot.

I've sourced a local TPI biomechanics coach so I'll see him and get video analysis and hopefully excercises plus 'see' what I'm doing that causes this pain. I'll report back findings in case it helps others.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

p.s whats these foam rollers a few of you mention?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Here you go.

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/search/SearchDisplay?categoryId=&storeId=15108&catalogId=12301&langId=-1&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&showResultsPage=true&fromPage=Search&searchSource=Q&pageView=&beginIndex=0&DSGsearchType=Keyword&pageSize=48&searchTerm=foam+roller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks, they look like something you might add onto a body part *wink*....seriously though what do you do with them that helps golf fitness?

Thanks

Curious if you have a lot of hip bump in the transition and not enough rotation at the same time? The reverse pivot could also lead to this was well. Reading some stuff around the interwebz too much hip bump and not enough rotation could lead to both hip and back issues.

Daily routine and life can also be a cause or added effect to the above

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Primarily to (literally) "roll out" your back, shoulders, neck and then hips, hamstrings, calves. Suggest getting two - a basic smooth foamy one and a firmer one with "nubbies" all the way around.

Helps loosen tight muscles and knots, and is a complement to stretching. 

Ask your TPI coach to show you some ways to use it; there are also any number of fitness videos on YouTube where you could see some demonstrations. 

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Primarily to (literally) "roll out" your back, shoulders, neck and then hips, hamstrings, calves. Suggest getting two - a basic smooth foamy one and a firmer one with "nubbies" all the way around.

Helps loosen tight muscles and knots, and is a complement to stretching. 

Ask your TPI coach to show you some ways to use it; there are also any number of fitness videos on YouTube where you could see some demonstrations. 

I have two Triggerpoint foam rollers.  One is the typical one as shown on the Dick's website.  Many videos on it's use; uses your body weight.  The other is one that looks like a rolling pin.  Grab the ends and the middle rolls over your muscles.  Works great on legs, but difficult to use on my back unless my wife does it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

*update as promised

Met TPI level 2 coach- prob the best and most cost effective hour I've ever had in a coaching session, and I only actually hit about a dozen shots.

After being hooked up with all the sensors to make my 'avatar' on screen it was quite apparent the issue, there was a 13* upper body movement towards the target at the top of the swing and an 11* movement away from target by impact. A 24* movement resulting in a plethora of bad shots depending on other factors. Thins, fats, high ballooning balls, pulls and sh*nks are all common affects with this. Hip turn was actually ok but legs werent stable with the left knee collapsing and the right knee straightening at the top of the swing. The right knee straightening also contributed to the top half leaning 13* towards target at the top.

All these simple faults are causing numerous issues depending on timing of the swing.

He then took me through some calf stretching as well as checking all my movements in the swing (without a club) i.e hip rotation left and right while upper body still. Upper body rotation while sitting on the edge of a chair keeping lower body still, head rotation left and right.

Then whole leg stretching before going back to calf stretching while kneeling on the floor with one foot approx 6" from the wall then pressing the knee towards the wall while keeping the foot flat on the ground- you really feel this stretch and it was definitely more flexible the second time.

Back to swinging a 6 iron accompanied by a plethora of knowledge but not bombarding me with science. He had me throw a golf ball and recorded the throw with my avatar, it was a good throw and a perfect golf impact position (once arms excluded obviously). He asked me who taught me that? no-one I said, it's just natural...........*light bulb moment*......

So in summary he wanted legs planted in concrete, upper torso turned over the trail leg at the top (this can be practiced in front of a mirror where you dont see your face but do see your face at the top of the swing), and from there just pull the trigger. It felt like my lower body wasnt moving but thats due to years of too much leg and knee 'wander', he affirmed the hips were turning well even though I didnt feel it, just like you dont feel it when throwing a golf ball!

Now, as he said, its down to practice and these exercises, practice without a club and with one.

Next lesson (I booked myself in for a follow up) will be shot shaping and ball striking...as long as the fix for the issues above are more ingrained to being natural.

Thats it, sorry for the long post but it might help someone else with similar issues.

@persiveringgolfer

Nice write up on you session. Seems most golfers speed time trying to fix their swing and ignore the simple things like improving your body to enable a natural swing.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update to my post on the other page- had a grass practice session 2 days ago using his 'coaching' and no back pain whatsoever....result.

However, I did still hit fat and thin shots mixed in with long straight drives, so I'm having a follow up session this week to really understand this move he wants me to do without me swaying off the ball in the backswing, which is what I think I'm doing to stop the slight reverse pivot action previously.

Further lesson and concentrated on rotation without sliding towards target- also kept the focus on turning away from the ball on the backswing then rotating leading leg/thigh left while turning within a few inches of a circle around my hips- this is taking some getting used to but the strikes are good with no thins or fats (had several during my warm up balls with him) so this is encouraging.

He gave me drills to do at home without a club which will help enormously...I hope.

Further lesson and concentrated on rotation without sliding towards target- also kept the focus on turning away from the ball on the backswing then rotating leading leg/thigh left while turning within a few inches of a circle around my hips- this is taking some getting used to but the strikes are good with no thins or fats (had several during my warm up balls with him) so this is encouraging.

He gave me drills to do at home without a club which will help enormously...I hope.

Sounds like you found a good all around coach for your game.

Do you mind saying how much that first season was. Feel free to play pm if you don't want to post it publicly.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Sounds like you found a good all around coach for your game.

Do you mind saying how much that first season was. Feel free to play pm if you don't want to post it publicly.

np, I assume you mean session? I've signed up for a few lessons now as I found out he has taught PGA and European tour players- he told me a great story about meeting Furyk on the range who asked him to video his swing for him, my guy asked Jim why he hasnt worked on a simpler more conventional swing, Jim then proceeded to hit about 10 sweet shots with a 'conventional' swing and said it 'feels' better for him doing it his way.........

np, I assume you mean session? I've signed up for a few lessons now as I found out he has taught PGA and European tour players- he told me a great story about meeting Furyk on the range who asked him to video his swing for him, my guy asked Jim why he hasnt worked on a simpler more conventional swing, Jim then proceeded to hit about 10 sweet shots with a 'conventional' swing and said it 'feels' better for him doing it his way.........

Ha. Yes I did mean session. I'm trying to find a good TPI person in our area.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Ha. Yes I did mean session. I'm trying to find a good TPI person in our area.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

You asked re money, sorry I missed that in the reply.

He is a level 2 TPI and charges $35 for an assessment where he connects you up with sensors to capture your biomechanics, then its $70 per hour or $55 per hour if you take a block of 4 lessons. Hope you find someone, they are worth it. The Titleist site has a list of TPI people so start there.

Nice thread!

While no where near as scientific, I have little doubt that my improving ball striking is directly related to my improving fitness. My body is able to get into the positions it did when I was a 1.

It's nice to see those shots flying through the air with some authority and to feel as if my good hits are repeatable rather than accidental.

Thanks for starting the thread. Here's to improved health and golf.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks, I fully agree good body health improves striking (combined with some good swing info of course). The drill he wants me to practice is getting more over and ahead of the ball after the strike so I dont hold or sway back which was my failing in the OP

You asked re money, sorry I missed that in the reply.

He is a level 2 TPI and charges $35 for an assessment where he connects you up with sensors to capture your biomechanics, then its $70 per hour or $55 per hour if you take a block of 4 lessons. Hope you find someone, they are worth it. The Titleist site has a list of TPI people so start there.

Thanks. All those rates are more than reasonable in my mind.

Yeah I keep searching the Titleist site for TPI fitness/instructors in our area but with little success. The one that is listed, I tried and just didn't click with him.

Glad you are seeing such good improvement so soon.

still struggling a bit with rotating and not sliding left - really need a good simple swing thought rather than just turn the left leg. Any swing thoughts you have used that makes sense and works?

• 1 month later...

*update*

3rd TPI coach lesson today, transformed me with solid stable legs and a few drills with rubber bands and beach ball.

now I just need to practice it and utilise it on the course but it feels fantastic and strikes are pure and solid (with him) so time to put it into practice.

Next lesson is more chipping and putting.

*update*

Well all good things they say................lol

Went backwards yesterday, I think I was getting cocky and my old swing muscled back in as much as I thought I was using the new swing, but under pressure of a competition I had driver pulls, fat and pulled irons, thins and very high 'hit off the bottom of the club' iron shots.

self analysis later I think I'm falling back in the downswing (old fault) so I'll hit the course by myself later for a few holes and try and bed in what the coach showed me.

On a positive note my chipping has improved a zillion percent, no thins or fats and chipping to average 3-7 feet so giving a chance for my putting (still a WIP) to take over, putts were more solid and lipped many 8 footers but lag putts were poor, thats just a tempo thing if the strikes are decent.

onwards and upwards....fed up yesterday but enthusiastic today to fix it.

Archived