TESTERS WANTED! ×

70% of all golfers wear the wrong shoe?

Dilligaf

I can see that. I know for sure different brand of shoes don't fit the same. I usually wear adidas shoes but ordered footjoys, same size and width, footjoys were at least 1/2 size bigger and way wider.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Read or heard something similar to this a while ago. I think it is about the structure of the shoe and how the person swings. The tests showed that with the right shoe a person could increase their swingspeed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Read or heard something similar to this a while ago. I think it is about the structure of the shoe and how the person swings. The tests showed that with the right shoe a person could increase their swingspeed.

So how does the shoe result in higher swing speeds?? I would think if it does it would have a marginal impact (no pun intended) and probably for pro's more than the typical weekend golfer. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting thought, previously I might have disregarded it.   But having rotated through 6 different styles of shoes over the last year, I can definitely tell they affect my game differently.  I'm not sure if there is one right shoe for me all the time, but i know if I'm playing a hilly course or one with lots of slops and uneven lies, I should wear one of my more stable shoes, like the Adidias Tour 360 or Puma Ignite PWAdapt which have a more structured side support than my lighter and more comfortable for walking Puma Sport Grips, they don't offer any real lateral support.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

So how does the shoe result in higher swing speeds?? I would think if it does it would have a marginal impact (no pun intended) and probably for pro's more than the typical weekend golfer.

Quick google search:

http://www.golf.com/equipment/right-golf-shoe-could-grab-you-nine-more-yards

Basically it has to do with ground interaction and how that is Impacted by structured or non structured shoes.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That an interesting article. As to the premise I think there are a lot of factors that come into play when selecting shoes such as comfort. To that point I'd give up 9 yds to wear a shoe that is more comfortable since wearing one that isn't would distract me from my game, but that's just me. Note as a disclaimer I have 2 pairs of Hyperflex Ii (which I really like) In my golf shoe rack.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting. I didn't think a shoe would matter (besides the ability to grip a surface well). I could use another 9 yards of distance though.

MDGolfHacker

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

70% of people wearing the wrong shoe size is probably accurate for any kind of shoe not just golf.  Manufacturers produce lasts for the average consumer but most of us are not average.  Similar to cars that are designed for people of average height.  Short or tall people may not fit comfortably.

I wear leather soled dress shoes most days and there are only 2 companies that each have one of many lasts they offer that fit me just right.  I learned this by trial and error over the years.  We have even fewer options for golf shoes, I have only ever had one pair that really fit well and they fell apart years ago.  Sometimes we have to make do with what we can get and make trade offs in comfort, performance and budget.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I tend to think that it's just marketing. I have noticed that FJ and Skechers are different sizes. (Skechers are 1size down difference than my Foot Joys)

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I think this is a marketing ploy. I seem to remember an add for a men's dress shoes some year ago that said 70% of people are wearing the wrong size shoe. It could just be a play on that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Heard that in the PGA Radio. Marketing or is it really true?

I heard the same broadcast this am.  Footjoy promo by Michael Breed, a Titleist/FJ guy.  If the shoe fits... you are good to go, IMHO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Interesting topic. I find that when I play with my spikes I definitely feel more stability and comfort when swinging. So we should get fit for clubs, now should that apply to shoes as well? I assume so  

Callaway XR16

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4 hybrids

Cobra Amp Cell 5-GW

Titleist SM6 54 and 58

SeeMore X2 

Interesting topic. I find that when I play with my spikes I definitely feel more stability and comfort when swinging. So we should get fit for clubs, now should that apply to shoes as well? I assume so

I guess it makes since. I would never buy shoes online myself without a chance to try them on.

Great to see you over here sir!! Hope you stick around and join in some of the great golf talk.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I guess it makes since. I would never buy shoes online myself without a chance to try them on.

Great to see you over here sir!! Hope you stick around and join in some of the great golf talk.

Thanks man. I am liking what I am seeing so far! 

I have companies that I will not even look at because I do not like the way they fit my feet. 

Callaway XR16

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4 hybrids

Cobra Amp Cell 5-GW

Titleist SM6 54 and 58

SeeMore X2 

• 2 weeks later...

I can see this, shoes matter. I spent a lot time in cycling before returning to golf, I wore most recently a cycling shoe that had a carbon fiber foot bed matched to cleats that locked my feet into the peddles. The result was much more efficient power transmission than prior shoes I wore that were softer materials and less efficient than my shoes with carbon fiber soles.

Your feet are the interface with the ground through which all of your power must flow. Getting that combination right will make a difference. You have three contact points that have to work together; clubface and ball, hands and club, feet and ground. Get any of those wrong and you will hit more shots.

Now I don't know what type of shoes 70% of golfers are using as a baseline but I would agree that shoes matter and you should have the right ones for the way you play and swing. That does not mean everyone should be wearing cleats either though. There are different types of golf shoes and soles. I can see good reasons to be picky about these but it is also really hard to try enough to know the differences.

Personally I went with a pair of foot joys from last year on clearance. Simple logic any reputable brand of cleated golf shoes was going to be better for me than non golf shoes. I also know I liked the feeling of a good ground connection and that it worked for my swing. Maybe I get pickier when I have been back in the game longer. Right now I needed a starting point.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

2 things

First,

I wish I knew what the right shoe for me would be, because I would definitely try it out.

Second,

I hope Bubba Watson's shoes are working, because they are UGLY!

My apologies to anyone else wearing them.  I'm sure they look good on you. :)

Mizuno JPX EZ driver

Taylormade SLDR HL 3 wood

Mizuno JPX EZ hybrids 3 & 4

Mizuno JPX EZ Irons 4-G

Titleist SM6 Vokey wedge 54.10

Odyssey White Hot Pro V-line putter

Heck mine are like the energizer bunny because they just keep on ticking.  I have to change out the spikes ever two or three years but hell that's cheap enough.   

brogangolfshoes.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Heard that in the PGA Radio. Marketing or is it really true?

Definitely true. I have worked in the sporting goods industry (sports outside of golf) for quite a while. I was a product line manager of a very well known football cleat brand for five years. If you got any focus group, majority of people do not truly know their foot size and/or width. 90% of people have different sized feet as well. 

This is why a lot of podiatrists are doing VERY well with their businesses. Wearing an ill fitting shoe can wreak havoc on the tendons, ligaments, muscles and bones in your feet and ankles.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Archived