TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 2018 Most Wanted Driver is...

Berg Ryman

Well, first go read the blog post if you haven't done that yet!

But congrats to the PING G400 LST!!!! A big win for Ping and one of the most complete line of drivers around. Bring all your discussion of the MWD and the results here in this very thread.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been trying to see the page, but there must be too much traffic because it says the page is down

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Not surprised to see these. I've heard several guys around here who said this or other g400 line outperformed current rejeasss for them in their fittings.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have no not seen the list, not the data or breakdown but that driver would be my starting point if I were going in blind.

Watch out - here come the Callaway tweets! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

And now I'm bummed that I didn't try the G400 LST during my driver fitting... Granted, I walked out with just a shaft change, but I did hit the 2 runner ups, M3 and Rogue Sub Zero..

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

Mostly surprised by two things: Wilson D300 was lowest spin, and the 12th in distance driver was Top 3. I gotta read through the criteria and weighting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Okay saw the data too. As always there isn't a whole lot to separate the top ten as an aggregate so I'm looking forward to the greater breakdowns by swing speed and player type.

Some comments made plus my ball fitting experience are going to cause me to open another thread on equipment type. Look for it in the equipment section.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Mostly surprised by two things: Wilson D300 was lowest spin, and the 12th in distance driver was Top 3. I gotta read through the criteria and weighting again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I hadn't hit it (Wison D300) at the PGA show, I wouldn't have believed it eitehr.  It is must be an extremely low spin head, I was having trouble getting it to launch anything above about 10 degrees...ha   But yet I was able to with the PING and Callaway among low spin heads.    Very interesting considering the target demographic for the 300 lines. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Okay saw the data too. As always there isn't a whole lot to separate the top ten as an aggregate so I'm looking forward to the greater breakdowns by swing speed and player type.

Some comments made plus my ball fitting experience are going to cause me to open another thread on equipment type. Look for it in the equipment section.

Looking forward to it Rev, and that's a good point to consider. Distance from first to last is less than 10 yards. What I do find interesting is that there is a solid Top 3, then the results tier out from there, very interested with that until you get the last 2. Very disappointed that my sneaky sleeper finished 24th, but perhaps more surprised to see a big name that begins with T in the same tier as the Store Made Tommy Armour from Dick's and a certain Twisty Faced Moveable Weight driver behind that Tommy Armour as well.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Great job guys! It definitely shows the amount of effort put into the most wanted driver testing! Interesting that the distance spread isn't that great among drivers so best to get fit to ensure you get the most out of your driver.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I too have heard nothing but positive things about the G400 series drivers both on-line at out on the course. I'm really gripping now to get fitted into one of these myself very soon. I absolutely HATE the clang that my G-Series makes and that alone was my main motivation (until now) to seek an update. Cheers to MGS and to all the testers! They must be exhausted! 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Isn't the most interesting result of the testing (so far, until we get the breakdown by swing speed, etc.) that the top three spots are occupied by the low spin/better player models? These seems to be a bit of a pattern; one of the reason that I picked up a used Callaway 816 DBD this winter is its performance in the Most Wanted testing a couple of years ago.

I just find it fascinating that clubs that most ordinary golfers should be avoiding (if the marketing story is to be believed) consistently scored as the top three.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Isn't the most interesting result of the testing (so far, until we get the breakdown by swing speed, etc.) that the top three spots are occupied by the low spin/better player models? These seems to be a bit of a pattern; one of the reason that I picked up a used Callaway 816 DBD this winter is its performance in the Most Wanted testing a couple of years ago.

I just find it fascinating that clubs that most ordinary golfers should be avoiding (if the marketing story is to be believed) consistently scored as the top three.

I klind of touched on this in my blog comments, but drivers have advanced so far with their technology, that low spin now fits not only the good high swing speed players, but average players with moderate swing speeds that need help reducing excessive back spin due to swing flaws.   So yeah people see the Sub Zero and LST models and the first thought is "players club, needing 110 mph swings.  But that really isn't the case, as I have had proven twice in fittings.  

I'm liking the fact that the Mizuno ST180 was in the mix because I like my JPX-EZ so much and very happy that Ping rose to the top.

I'm sure there's going to be some butt hurt with some of the OEM's.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I klind of touched on this in my blog comments, but drivers have advanced so far with their technology, that low spin now fits not only the good high swing speed players, but average players with moderate swing speeds that need help reducing excessive back spin due to swing flaws.   So yeah people see the Sub Zero and LST models and the first thought is "players club, needing 110 mph swings.  But that really isn't the case, as I have had proven twice in fittings.  

Good comment.. I have a negative AOA, so I am one of those slower swing players that needs to lower spin.. But it is also worth noting that just because a driver is touted as "low spin" doesn't mean that will be the case for all people. In my fitting, I saw lower spin with the M4 and my current 2016 M2 than I did with either the M3 or Rogue Sub Zero (all tested in the same shaft). So many variables to take into consideration... 

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

The most interesting thing I found when I looked last night was the fact that the top 2 drivers are 440cc heads, unless the LST isn't? I didn't look it up, but I'm pretty sure the entire G400 line is 440 aside from the new MAX? Maybe bigger isn't always better? Like @jlukes said, I'm interested to see the swing speed breakdown since low spin drivers aren't for everyone. Ping and Callaway demo day is coming up I might have to go put some swings on these :)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

The most interesting thing I found when I looked last night was the fact that the top 2 drivers are 440cc heads, unless the LST isn't? I didn't look it up, but I'm pretty sure the entire G400 line is 440 aside from the new MAX? Maybe bigger isn't always better? Like @jlukes said, I'm interested to see the swing speed breakdown since low spin drivers aren't for everyone. Ping and Callaway demo day is coming up I might have to go put some swings on these :)

Make Drivers great again!!! Aim small miss small! No more balloons on sticks!

Looking forward to see it once it's broken down by swing speed.

Me too. That's the info I REALLY want to see.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Amazing! Great review and article all round. Ping FTW.

As you can see from my bag, I'm kind of a Taylormade guy…. But, I went to the Vancouver Golf Show a couple months back and my buddy insisted I try the G400 LST. I was only hitting into a net with no digital tracking involved, but it felt smooth as a babies ass. Easy to look at and the ball just rocketed off the face. It instantly had my attention.

They also had the G400 Max for the long drive comp. Got to smack a few bombs with that also. All round this new series of Ping drivers is pretty damn tasty.

I tried the M3 at the show also, and while I hit some solid shots, I just didn't have the same feel that the LST gave me.

Next time I was at the range, I got the young fella behind the desk to hook me up with a “test drive” of the LST.

BEAST. I connected with a couple of absolute screamers that cleared the back fence. I had to go give it back… IMMEDIATELY… haha!! I can't afford it right now but if I could, I would seriously consider getting it in the bag!! There's a fitting day coming up in May so I may just cruise on down and check it out

Don't tell the missus!!

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Previous WITB:

:taylormade-small: Driver R11s 9*

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood Rocketballz Stage 2 TP 15*

:adams-small: 3 Hybrid 19*

:taylormade-small: Irons 4-PW R11

:taylormade-small: Wedges TP 52*, 56*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Putter Rossa Mallet

Instagram - @joyzee1010

Good comment.. I have a negative AOA, so I am one of those slower swing players that needs to lower spin.. But it is also worth noting that just because a driver is touted as "low spin" doesn't mean that will be the case for all people. In my fitting, I saw lower spin with the M4 and my current 2016 M2 than I did with either the M3 or Rogue Sub Zero (all tested in the same shaft). So many variables to take into consideration... 

Agreed. I had a fitting a month ago and for about 1 1/2 hours I hit the Rogue, Rogue SubZero, M3, M4, F8, F8+, ST-180, G400, and G400LS.

I'm a high spin hitter also, so the numbers were different between the higher spin and lower spin models but pretty close within each separate category. So we ditched the high spinners.

Then we started to tinker with the settings and lofts of the SubZero, M3, F8+, and the G400LS. I hit each of the clubs the best in their lowest spin category, but when we cranked the F8+ down to 8.5 degrees, however, I immediately gained 6 yards carry on the rest.  We tried every driver in every loft 10.5 and below. I will say the G400LS at 9.5 was the next best for my swing, and I liked it quite a bit. Ended up getting the regular G400 for 3W, in fact.

Honestly, though, after swinging them all, I would have been happy with any of the lower spin drivers. To me, they all felt really good, and I think the difference in the numbers would probably decrease if you had the time and inclination to really dial them all in individually.

:cobra-small: F8+ / Fujikura Pro 2.0

:ping-small: G400 3-Wood / Fujikura Pro 2.0

:cobra-small: F8 Hybrid / Fujikura Pro 2.0

:callaway-small: Rogue 4-PW / Nippon 850GH

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy Forged 50, 54, 58 / Nippon 850GH

:taylormade-small: Spider

Thanks guys, lots of data to go through.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

On 3/26/2018 at 6:43 PM, MattF said:

I'm liking the fact that the Mizuno ST180 was in the mix because I like my JPX-EZ so much and very happy that Ping rose to the top.

I'm sure there's going to be some butt hurt with some of the OEM's.

love my JPX-EZ as well, gonna have to try and get my hands on a ST-180  

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

I know this isn't the place but you guys will appreciate that I went into our brand new Dicks for the first time today. I wanted to eye ball some Super GI irons.

First up there was a guy talking to a salesman about irons. His are ten years old and his buddies are hitting two less clubs. I looked at him, with my collar on and said, “It's because their 7 irons have a similar loft and shaft length to the 5 iron we played as kids.”

He dropped a grand on a new set of Pings. I also talked to a guy who is in a Quad 7 about new drivers. But I told him to bring his gamer before he tries new ones out.

Long live MGS!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I know this isn't the place but you guys will appreciate that I went into our brand new Dicks for the first time today. I wanted to eye ball some Super GI irons.

First up there was a guy talking to a salesman about irons. His are ten years old and his buddies are hitting two less clubs. I looked at him, with my collar on and said, “It's because their 7 irons have a similar loft and shaft length to the 5 iron we played as kids.”

He dropped a grand on a new set of Pings. I also talked to a guy who is in a Quad 7 about new drivers. But I told him to bring his gamer before he tries new ones out.

Long live MGS!

Rev spreading the gospel!!

Long live MGS!

Loft jacking... !

Archived