Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

GI, Super GI and Players

revkev

I was intrigued by the fact that the top drivers in this year's MWD test were all “players” drivers.

I shouldn't be, drivers have a lot of tech in them, so even so called players drivers are forgiving. While the MGS testers vary in ability and swing speed they are avid golfers who hit lots of shots so they will produce consistent results.

More amateur golfers need higher launch and less spin so a spin reducing higher lofted driver head will produce better results. Not for everyone but for many.

So on to irons. Not as much tech because there isn't the space for it, particularly in the thinner profile player's type. Guys who want to play in that category can do as they wish. There are very few people who should (not even all guys or gals on tour do) but golf isn't always about shooting the lowest score - so have at it.

For the rest of us we can go from some very sorry Mizuno offerings to some butt ugly to our eye Super GI stuff.

From my ball test I realize that even though I remain a single digit handicap player who has a consistent swing I will greatly enhance my chances of lowering my handicap by going with the most GI that I can stand to look at in my irons. It's not because of the forgiveness but rather because that style club will mitigate my swings shallow tendencies and help me catch the ball center face more consistently. The better results will move me away from the inclination to try and pick the ball up in the air with my mid irons which then leads to swing flaws through the bag.

So I will start looking at these things to see what I can tolerate. No one will be thinking I'm much of a player when I show up at the course. You guys will think I'm crazy. But I've often been ahead of the curve when it comes to constructing my set.

Its why I love it here.

I will keep the score wedges, probably adding the 44 in and filling in the gaps to my 5 hybrid from there with Super GIs - probably Wilson D's of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great topic Rev.  And I loved the reps comment that you posted in your Ball Fitting thread, about he could tell you were a MGS or some sort of fourm member by your well thought out set.

Boy anyone that knows me, knows I love my irons.  And I don't discriminate against the big and ugly or the thin and beautiful.   Naturally, I tend to always fall somewhere in the middle with what is often called a forgiving players iron.  Over the past few years, I've played

CF16

Srixon 565/765

Titleist AP1 716 and 718

Titleist AP2 718

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

I haven't really owned any SGI lines of late, I did hve the Wilson D300 a couple years ago.  That's about as close as I have come recently.

I feel I play my best with more forgiveness over looks.   So my current set of 718 AP1/AP2 might nto be the best for me, although I haven't had any real issue with the AP2 end.....yet.

But for my next set, I'm definitely thinking more GI, such as G700 or M3 (the M4 are boarding on way too big, even for me) But also looking at the Cobra F8...I love the one length concept and the Wilson C300.  

So yeah, this topic is right up my alley.  Thanks for starting it.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Great topic Rev.  And I loved the reps comment that you posted in your Ball Fitting thread, about he could tell you were a MGS or some sort of fourm member by your well thought out set.

Boy anyone that knows me, knows I love my irons.  And I don't discriminate against the big and ugly or the thin and beautiful.   Naturally, I tend to always fall somewhere in the middle with what is often called a forgiving players iron.  Over the past few years, I've played

CF16

Srixon 565/765

Titleist AP1 716 and 718

Titleist AP2 718

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

I haven't really owned any SGI lines of late, I did hve the Wilson D300 a couple years ago.  That's about as close as I have come recently.

I feel I play my best with more forgiveness over looks.   So my current set of 718 AP1/AP2 might nto be the best for me, although I haven't had any real issue with the AP2 end.....yet.

But for my next set, I'm definitely thinking more GI, such as G700 or M3 (the M4 are boarding on way too big, even for me) But also looking at the Cobra F8...I love the one length concept and the Wilson C300.  

You aren't fooling us, you played most of those LAST year! LOL!!!

edit: On the topic at hand, moving forward -- I'll play anything that performs and feels as good as these 900 tours. I'm not immune to missing the middle of my club, but I don't think an iron head is going to give me much more out of a bad swing than I'm currently getting. If it isn't an eyesore to me down by the ball, hits my numbers, and gives me that feeling that I've come to love, I'll bag them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I was intrigued by the fact that the top drivers in this year's MWD test were all “players” drivers.

I shouldn't be, drivers have a lot of tech in them, so even so called players drivers are forgiving. While the MGS testers vary in ability and swing speed they are avid golfers who hit lots of shots so they will produce consistent results.

More amateur golfers need higher launch and less spin so a spin reducing higher lofted driver head will produce better results. Not for everyone but for many.

So on to irons. Not as much tech because there isn't the space for it, particularly in the thinner profile player's type. Guys who want to play in that category can do as they wish. There are very few people who should (not even all guys or gals on tour do) but golf isn't always about shooting the lowest score - so have at it.

For the rest of us we can go from some very sorry Mizuno offerings to some butt ugly to our eye Super GI stuff.

From my ball test I realize that even though I remain a single digit handicap player who has a consistent swing I will greatly enhance my chances of lowering my handicap by going with the most GI that I can stand to look at in my irons. It's not because of the forgiveness but rather because that style club will mitigate my swings shallow tendencies and help me catch the ball center face more consistently. The better results will move me away from the inclination to try and pick the ball up in the air with my mid irons which then leads to swing flaws through the bag.

So I will start looking at these things to see what I can tolerate. No one will be thinking I'm much of a player when I show up at the course. You guys will think I'm crazy. But I've often been ahead of the curve when it comes to constructing my set.

Its why I love it here.

I will keep the score wedges, probably adding the 44 in and filling in the gaps to my 5 hybrid from there with Super GIs - probably Wilson D's of some sort.

I'm sure that I have a much worse and less consistent swing, but I think along the same lines about what I can tolerate. I went from a set of TM Burner irons to some Ping i20s. Not because they fit my physical game better, but because when I looked down at the Burners at address, I had zero confidence. I don't necessarily hit the Pings better, but I feel better about it. I know I really need to find a more GI iron that I can play comfortably, because there's no doubt I would score better. I just need to feel confident about them pre-swing.

It's amazing how physically difficult this game is, yet the mental part is even harder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Its why I love it here.

Great topic. Like you I maintain single digit handicap and have done so by doing exactly as you propose, by playing the most forgiving, distance gaining irons I can stand to look at. My handicap is based on solid driving and a strong short game. Irons have always been the weakest link in my game, so any help I can get in that area will help me maintain my handicap.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

We have similar games flipper.

I hit that D100 7 iron that Golfspy Meyer sent me a number of years back. He sent it so that I could try the Matrix shaft.

It fit the bill so I hit it after work side by side with my current seven iron. I actually hit both clubs well until I didn't. The misshits with my current 7 were terrible, thin, right, short, not a chance they'd hit the green. My misshits with the D100 however were straight had some carry and ran out to where they could end up on the green.

That would be huge. Honestly though I hit everything better today as I worked on hitting down and left. Just what my teacher wants.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

CF16

Srixon 565/765

Titleist AP1 716 and 718

Titleist AP2 718

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

That list or irons runs the gamet of size and forgiveness. When I saw the m3 and m4 irons last year I felt the same way about the m4. The p790 seems like a little on the bigger side but also small enough for those who want a good look with some forgiveness added

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

That list or irons runs the gamet of size and forgiveness. When I saw the m3 and m4 irons last year I felt the same way about the m4. The p790 seems like a little on the bigger side but also small enough for those who want a good look with some forgiveness added

Yeah I tend to be all over the place when it comes to irons. An equal opportunity purchaser..i am

I like the 790 a lot. Ive seen them in hand but haven hit them yet.

I think Taylormades lineup is a solid top to bottom as it has been in years!

Yeah I tend to be all over the place when it comes to irons. An equal opportunity purchaser..i am

Equal opportunity purchaser...that's a good one. Can't find what you like if you don't test drive everything lol

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Equal opportunity purchaser...that's a good one. Can't find what you like if you don't test drive everything lol

I like the way you think!!

This sounds strange as I have zero TM sticks in the bag, but they are one of the few brands I could game 14 clubs of if needed. They have great woods and nice looking wedges, and they have I believe 47 different iron lines out at the moment, so surely I could find something I liked!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I went with the 790's. They feel good and are a good looking GI club. The top line is about as thick as I can stand to look at, but I think they are forgiving enough to shore up my iron game.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I'm a Ping guy but currently only have one Ping club in the bag, driver.

I could see going G30 Irons from PW-6 but honestly I have an affinity for Wilson also. Not the best looking clubs, not the sheik pick, but they work and are at a good price point.

The SLDR hybrids, my SCOR wedges and putter are in to stay. Driver is being replaced so right now it's what to do about those five irons and fairway wood - I won't buy a new one about whether or not to game the SLDR 3HL or the Tour Exotics 4 wood.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I'm a Ping guy but currently only have one Ping club in the bag, driver.

I could see going G30 Irons from PW-6 but honestly I have an affinity for Wilson also. Not the best looking clubs, not the sheik pick, but they work and are at a good price point.

The SLDR hybrids, my SCOR wedges and putter are in to stay. Driver is being replaced so right now it's what to do about those five irons and fairway wood - I won't buy a new one about whether or not to game the SLDR 3HL or the Tour Exotics 4 wood.

yeah, PING G700's have had my eye ever since the PGA Show, but I was out playing a few holes with our Super yesterday after he got done punching holes all over the greens...HA it was great because the course was still closed to the public, but definitely playable.   He has the new C300 Forged.  I hit  a few shots with his and they were very nice feeling, even though his specs are all wrong for me, and I would probably go with the C300 cast vs forged.  But a nice looking a feeling club.

I agree with you they are not the chic pick, but maybe it can be up to us to change that impression :D

don't be afraid to step outside of the box.... if you're considering one length I can't recommend the Wishon Sterlings high enough.  Tom is very demanding and precise when it comes to club construction and his attention to detail is second to none.

He also makes some excellent variable length sets too.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Okay so National Whiskey Day jumped up and bit me. :)

I found a set of G30 purple dots (my lie) 6-PW with Aerotech Volant FT600's in them on eBay for 379 shipped.

The shafts are $50 a piece so it's worth the flyer - I think. :)

We shall see - at least I'm following the advice of a trained fitter. Wide platform, lighter shaft - goal is higher launch and more spin particularly on the 6 and 7 iron.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay so National Whiskey Day jumped up and bit me. :)

I found a set of G30 purple dots (my lie) 6-PW with Aerotech Volant FT600's in them on eBay for 379 shipped.

The shafts are $50 a piece so it's worth the flyer - I think. :)

We shall see - at least I'm following the advice of a trained fitter. Wide platform, lighter shaft - goal is higher launch and more spin particularly on the 6 and 7 iron.

This will be interesting. Looking forward to your results

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I'm trying to hold off on a new set of irons until the end of the season. I've had AP2 714's for a few years now but never really loved them. Need to do a little more stat tracking this year to determine if I stay in the players-GI realm or if I go for a set of shovels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I'm trying to hold off on a new set of irons until the end of the season. I've had AP2 714's for a few years now but never really loved them. Need to do a little more stat tracking this year to determine if I stay in the players-GI realm or if I go for a set of shovels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My lowest handicap for a season was .8. I did that with a butt ugly Mizuno driver, Cobra EZ fairway, Adams Idea Pro hybrids and Nicklaus Iron Max progressive irons. By the time that those got to the five and six iron you could have dug a grave with them. The fujikara shafts in them said S but tested out as solid X flex's when I had my full set evaluated a couple of years later. By then I had risen to a 1.2. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My lowest handicap for a season was .8. I did that with a butt ugly Mizuno driver, Cobra EZ fairway, Adams Idea Pro hybrids and Nicklaus Iron Max progressive irons. By the time that those got to the five and six iron you could have dug a grave with them. The fujikara shafts in them said S but tested out as solid X flex's when I had my full set evaluated a couple of years later. By then I had risen to a 1.2. :)

But that scorecard didn't look butt ugly!!  

....I never really fear the guy that shows up with the newest and shiniest set of sticks in his bag, what worries me is the guy with YEARS old clubs; you know they're in there for a reason!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Particular old putters and wedged

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The irons arrived today! I'm a bit busy the next few days though. They will go out for a spin on Monday. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The irons arrived today! I'm a bit busy the next few days though. They will go out for a spin on Monday. :)

Monday in the 80's, good day for a walk in the grass!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Archived