Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putting Annoyances

Stephen_Peszel

Watching the Ryder Cup today reinforced something that really bugs me.

Did you notice how long they took over putts?

Everyone was involved in scoping the green, the caddies, their playing partners, I am surprised they did not have the officials checking out the lie for them.

No wonder the games take so long. Might as well carry a theodolite.

For goodness sake PGA should add a rule, and I hate adding rules, only the player checks out his/her putt and the lie of the green; and they only have a certain amount of time to do so.

I know there is a lot at stake but this is ridiculous.

On the LPGA one even sees the caddie lining up their player's tee shot!

I want to scream "just hit the ball" and the trouble is this behaviour (not my screaming) translates onto the course for us hackers.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

I don't disagree with you, there were some truly obnoxious delays caused by the "green reading by committee" at the RC. That said, the Ryder Cup is a big deal, as is any professional tournament since playing golf is what these guys do for a living. I don't begrudge anyone taking their time to get something right if it will impact their career.

The problem is that every weekend hacker thinks that they should act like a touring pro. If you want to emulate touring pros, do things that will actually help you: practice with alignment sticks, spend 75% of your practice time on the short game, work on your fitness. Most golfers can't hit their intended line anyway, so spending two days reading the putt is meaningless.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I have a friend that takes forever to read greens, but he is probably one of the best putters on the planet. He is about a 20 handicap, but putts like he's the best on tour. He caddies for me in tourneys and he's so good, I don't even bother reading the putts, I just do what he tells me.

It did seem a little ridiculous a few times, watching the teams confer with each other and stalk around the greens. It not something we see alot during regular tournament TV coverage, I don't know if that's because it doesn't happen as much (it can't because the players don't have a partner to consult) or because they guys don't fret so much about it when they don't have a partner. Also possible that in a tournament with a full field the networks have much more to show so don't cut to a player until he's ready to make his shot, whereas with the Ryder cup there were half a dozen matches going on, all waiting on each other so there was not much else to show us.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I think the putting of Cink was classic in the RC. I absolutely loved the one where he had a LONG putt to win the hole. As he was walking up to the hole, he was eating a PBJ sandwich... handed half of it to his caddy... took a swig of water... took the putter, looked at the line for about 5 seconds.. went to the ball... stood over it for about 2 seconds.. and sunk it! SO classic. I would watch that one over and over if golf channel wants to show it. :)

More people need to emulate THAT! :D

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I think the putting of Cink was classic in the RC. I absolutely loved the one where he had a LONG putt to win the hole. As he was walking up to the hole, he was eating a PBJ sandwich... handed half of it to his caddy... took a swig of water... took the putter, looked at the line for about 5 seconds.. went to the ball... stood over it for about 2 seconds.. and sunk it! SO classic. I would watch that one over and over if golf channel wants to show it. :)

More people need to emulate THAT! :D

+1! Personally, the longer I take, the more my chances of screwing up increase. I don't know if he was doing it at the RC, but Rickie Fowler is a guy to emulate: maybe take a practice swing, step up and go. Easy as pie.

I'm the same Justin.. if I take a lot of time, I'm sure to screw it up. :D I either leave it short or pull it WAY off line. :)

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I have a friend that takes forever to read greens, but he is probably one of the best putters on the planet. He is about a 20 handicap, but putts like he's the best on tour. He caddies for me in tourneys and he's so good, I don't even bother reading the putts, I just do what he tells me.

It seems to me the best putters are the ones who can consistently putt their chosen line at their chosen speed. There are many who can do that. The difference is in the ones who can see and choose the correct line and speed. I would prefer that they do so quickly, but there really are people who have difficulty making a decision.

Shambles

I would prefer that they do so quickly, but there really are people who have difficulty making a decision.

I agree to a point, but referring to my friend mentioned above, who is really faster.........the person that takes 2-3 minutes to read a 20 footer and then sinking it, or the guy that takes 20 seconds to read a 20 footer and then three putts. I'm the latter. :D

Archived