Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Modern Shafts for Ping Eye 2 irons

I'm thinking of re-shafting a set of Ping Eye 2 irons, but with a modern shaft.  

I am not looking for a direct replacement of the ZZ lite.  I favor smooth tempo shafts.  My favorite current shafts are the Nippon 950GH and True Temper XP 105.  

Has anyone paired these with Eye 2's?  Anything else worth considering?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 3 weeks later...

Cant help you but I do play the same clubs. Just regripped them and people Im nuts.  This will be ,y last season with them  then they retire. Justy too many great clubs out there not to. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I cant disagree and I own 2 sets.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

If I recall, the classic Ping heads were pretty light and used 110 gram or so shafts, so I'd go with a heavier shaft. I'd think a standard S300 would be a good shaft for them.

I had the ZZ Lite shafts in my Ping Eye 2's and JZ shafts in my ISI's. I liked the JZ shafts better. Smoother for me. The ZZ Lite shafts my short iron shots really ballooned.

I agree the classic Pings are still great playing clubs. I bought a set of ISI's last year as they were my favorite Ping design. I hit them great too. I just didn't care for the wedges, I couldn't open them up for flop shots. My eye didn't like mixing the ISI's irons with modern wedges, just didn't look right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to put Ping AWT 2.0 shafts in them.  I'm having quite a good time refinishing the clubs.  I'll post some picks to show what can be accomplished with cheapo tools like a Harbor Freight tumbler.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

• 3 years later...

Will be reshafting an old but nice set of PING Eye2+ irons with Recoil 60 grams shafts (F2) senior flex. Currently have TT Dynalite )R-flex) in there; but too heavy (110+ g) and stiff for my slower swing.  Was told that I'll need to add 4-6 grams to each head (5-PW) to compensate for the lighter graphite Recoil shaft. Am assuming that each iron head gets a different amount of grams added...True?  Also advised to use lead tape in the cavity as opposed to shaft weights in the tips. Any thoughts.  THX 

1 hour ago, TvGuyJake said:

Will be reshafting an old but nice set of PING Eye2+ irons with Recoil 60 grams shafts (F2) senior flex. Currently have TT Dynalite )R-flex) in there; but too heavy (110+ g) and stiff for my slower swing.  Was told that I'll need to add 4-6 grams to each head (5-PW) to compensate for the lighter graphite Recoil shaft. Am assuming that each iron head gets a different amount of grams added...True?  Also advised to use lead tape in the cavity as opposed to shaft weights in the tips. Any thoughts.  THX 

The answer is you will need to hit the clubs to see how they perform.   some people play better with lighter swing weights and some with heavier.    How much weight each club needs will be based on how close each component (head, shaft, grip) are to manufacturers specs and which shaft and grip you select.     Tip weights would be the cleanest method and lead tape would allow you to experiment to find what works best.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, TvGuyJake said:

I’ve had two sets of clubs reshafted with recoil. Only 1 iron had to have lead tape added to get swingweight the same as my original setup. I went from s300 to recoil 110. My other set didn’t require any. 

Lead tape vs tip weights are personal preference 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ve had two sets of clubs reshafted with recoil. Only 1 iron had to have lead tape added to get swingweight the same as my original setup. I went from s300 to recoil 110. My other set didn’t require any. 

Lead tape vs tip weights are personal preference 

yep,  some recoils are constant weight which should yield the same swingweight if you go with similar weight shafts.   Dropping weight classes; which the OP said he wants to do, will probably impact swing weight.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

if you like the 950 gh , I would suggest the 950 NEO. it is a different profile that I think a lot a oglfers could get behind once they try it.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 1 year later...

I have a set of Ping Eye 2 Green Dot irons and thinking of having new modern day graphite shafts and new grips put on them. Club champion, a local golf club fitter told me they would not recommend doing that because the clubs are too old and would not be worth it. I agree!  It won’t be worth it to them because they want to sell me new irons for $2,000 - $3,000!!!  Everything I read tells me that the Ping Eye 2 are great clubs and although todays modern day irons will give you longer distance, the PING EYE 2 are still a great club. I am 71 years old and a 17 handicap golfer but the steel shafts anre a bit heavy and feel graphite shafts will improve my game. Any comments would be appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, Steven Ganin said:

the steel shafts anre a bit heavy and feel graphite shafts will improve my game. Any comments would be appreciated. 

You can get lightweight steel shafts; while not as light as some graphite shafts Nippon has some in sub 70g in weight  https://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_zelos6.php

If your current shafts are too heavy, they yes lighter weight could be an improvement.  The issue you still have is what profile shaft will be best for your; finding the right shaft is more than just weight.   You are definitely borderline on whether it is worth reshafting Ping Eye 2 irons due to cost and the potential wear on the Eye2 irons.   Today's club advancements  are not just about distance but also forgiveness on off center hits and being easier to get into the air.   I'd suggest also looking at DTC irons as it may be a cheaper option.     

On 9/30/2023 at 9:10 AM, Steven Ganin said:

I have a set of Ping Eye 2 Green Dot irons and thinking of having new modern day graphite shafts and new grips put on them. Club champion, a local golf club fitter told me they would not recommend doing that because the clubs are too old and would not be worth it. I agree!  It won’t be worth it to them because they want to sell me new irons for $2,000 - $3,000!!!  Everything I read tells me that the Ping Eye 2 are great clubs and although todays modern day irons will give you longer distance, the PING EYE 2 are still a great club. I am 71 years old and a 17 handicap golfer but the steel shafts anre a bit heavy and feel graphite shafts will improve my game. Any comments would be appreciated. 

In your situation, I would go for the mid-weight graphite shaft.  Instead of switch to the light weight steel and soon will need to switch over to graphite.