TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Shafts

How do you know if you should get different shafts on your Woods and/or irons?

I know Swing speed plays a factor but based on my Swing speed I should be in regular flex.

What else would determine new or improved shafts on your clubs?

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

You go to a fitter. He or she will evaluate your current equipment to determine if you have the proper fit or what changes might be made.

Also don't over look putter - a good putter fitting might be the quickest way to shave some strokes. (And this is coming from Mr. putting is over rated)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The easiest way to figure out what suits your game is, of course, to get fitted. But that's not always easy for some. There's more to it than flex, though. You have torque, kick point, weight, so on and so forth. It really just depends on what you're looking for in your game.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I know Swing speed plays a factor but based on my Swing speed I should be in regular flex.

The answer is a fitting and only a fitting. Shafts are only part of the equation

Tempo. How you load the shaft matters. Are you a smooth tempo kind of guy - slow speed takeaway and slow down swing, or slow take away and fast down swing or fast takeaway and slow downswing. Also how you load the shaft... Short backswing, long backswing.. Etc..

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

The reason to change shafts would be due to poor performance. That could be thinks like back and side spin, launch, ball speed, and smash factor. Hard to tell without getting on a launch monitor. You could put tour numbers in something like the trackman launch optimizer to see if you can improve your performance. You can experiment with shafts or go to a fiittrf

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I tried to self diagnose what shaft I needed for far too long with poor results. A quality fitter is the best money I have spent. But the fitting is only as good as the fitter so shop around.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Problem is there really isn't an industry wide standard on flex or any other factors really. It's a hassle but the only way to really know for sure is hands on experience or the word of someone you trust that's in the know. The blog has an amazing article I recommend on the subject though. If you're just looking for how to tell the lifespan of a shaft though I'm not sure there is one shy of rust and breakage.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

^ what these people have said. There are some great fitters in the Seattle area that could run you through your options. Club Champion in Bellevue is the most comprehensive in the area and can do a real putter fitting as well.

But there are a number of GolfTecs , Pro Golf Discounts and Puetz that offer a decent fitting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

^ what these people have said. There are some great fitters in the Seattle area that could run you through your options. Club Champion in Bellevue is the most comprehensive in the area and can do a real putter fitting as well.

But there are a number of GolfTecs , Pro Golf Discounts and Puetz that offer a decent fitting.

Appreciate that! I did go to Puetz and they only adjusted the lie angle on my irons.

I'm definitely interested in a more comprehensive fitting but want to get my mechanics down before I do. Have a lot of tweaks to make for a consistent Swing.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Appreciate that! I did go to Puetz and they only adjusted the lie angle on my irons.

I'm definitely interested in a more comprehensive fitting but want to get my mechanics down before I do. Have a lot of tweaks to make for a consistent Swing.

Well, given that but of info, I'd recommend GolfTec. If you are into technology lessons they are (I believe) the industry leader in that realm. I am sure they could help with some swing lessons and wrap it up with a real fitting after a few.

Or if you have a pretty good idea of what you need to work on and are on that path. Head to club Champion after you feel you have your consistent swing.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Jump on YouTube and look at the vids from TXG. Those guys recently did a high handicapper driver fitting as well as a guide on if people should get fit or not vs their handicap or skill level. I've learnt the expensive way not to self fit any of my equipment anymore. Investing your time and money into a qualified club fitter will always be the best option. Like others have said there is no standard for flex and there is allot more to it than basic swing speed fitting. Good luck

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

Wow, we really went down the rabbit hole quickly with this one...

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

If you have the ability to just try the shafts out at your local shop or maybe from friends that have them, then you're good to go. Yes a fitting is best, but those aren't always possible. There are a lot of factors as have been stated before this post.

Some of it is swing speed but there's so much more that goes into it.

So I would say you either have to study up and pull together as much knowledge as you can and try shafts from there... Or have someone fit you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Anyone with any experience with a GolfTec fitting? Our big name fitter in town has dropped Cobra, and I feel like it's important to hit the clubs you're being fit for (but maybe it's not such a big deal?). We have a Golf Galaxy/GolfTec here in Richmond, and I'm assuming they'll have the F8s.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I've done fitting with GolfTec and Carl's Golfland for drivers, long clubs, and irons, and a putter fitting with Club Champion. I will say from experience that a lot rides on the individual doing running the fitting at each of these places. What I will say in regards to GolfTec, is that I was able to swing whatever they had on the fitting carts for each manufacturer.

I've not been able to schedule fittings with the same person at any of these facilities from one fitting to the next, so I feel like the fitter has to re-learn me each time I go in.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Just buy a bright green one! jk....GET FIT!!! haha but honestly go to a fitter ... an experienced one with a trackman setup or similar. Find out how you REALLY hit the ball.  

Totally worth it, because if you don't know what you need (flex, weight, torque) you'll just keep buying shafts. 

Ce qui est dans mon sac:

image.png.b4fee9f5ab11db717204e3cdc0ed9d90.png 905r 9.5 w/ NV65

:755178188_TourEdge: CB2 15* w/ Tour ad 7S

:adams-small:  Original Peanut 16* w/ matrix red tie

🇯🇵 ONOFF  2011 Forged 4-p

🇯🇵 Fourteen RM-22 52,56,60:

🇯🇵 OG 2-Ball j-spec

• 3 weeks later...

Update here... went and got fitted and am going to be swinging a Tensei Blue 60 shaft on my driver.

Thanks for everyone's insight!

Archived