Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth Putter - (Review)

Addicted2Golf

Much of the recent focus on golf technology has been in the driver and iron categories. But, equipment manufacturers have been incorporating the same multi-material and perimeter weighted design elements into putters and golfers should take notice. The putter is the most used club in the bag and amateurs drop far more shots on the green than off.

One putter that caught my attention during a recent trip to my local golf big box was the new Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth. I liked it so much after trying it out in the store that I purchased it and put it in the bag.

From the Manufacturer

The new White Ice Putters from Odyssey combine Tour trusted shapes with a new look and better feel. Coupled with a new Dark Nickel finish to reduce glare, the new White Ice putters combine Tour-proven looks with Tour-inspired feel.

* The multi-layer insert has been fine-tuned to enhance sound, responsiveness, resiliency and consistency. The inner core is 19.6% firmer to enhance the feel and 92% stiffer for better resiliency, leading to consistent distance control. The face surface has been roughened to enhance the sound at impact with softer golf balls. The rough texture also helps increase friction between the ball and the insert to promote forward roll.

* In White Ice core models, Tour-tuned weight ports in the sole optimize the putter head with the shaft length to create the ideal balance that maximizes feel, control and accuracy.

* Feature radical shapes with a high MOI for better stability and forgiveness

Look

The Millennium Falcon? A Cylon cattle brand? Opinions vary on what this club resembles - pretty much anything other than a Sabertooth tiger. For 2010, Odyssey went with a dark nickel finish and has replaced the red accents with black which effectively gives the radical shape of this White Ice version a sleeker, richer appearance at address which many will prefer. I game gunmetal wedges and the White Ice Sabertooth rounds out my short game set quite nicely.

The finish also seems to be durable. I've had the White Ice in the bag in both wet and dry conditions and on sand finished greens. Wipe the putter dry after the round and you're good to go. No issues.

The Sabertooth features both an aiming channel as well as two dots on the top line. I've played a two ball back in the day and I prefer this alignment system over that one.

The cover features an attractive black and red color scheme along with a magnetic enclosure. The magnet in mine slipped into the body of the cover rendering it useless so I plan on contacting Odyssey for a replacement.

Performance

This putter definitely puts a good roll on the ball with minimal skid. At 355 grams, it pretty much swings itself if you let it. For me, anything under a few feet with the Sabertooth was automatic except for when I fell into the bad habit of trying to steer my putts. If you're struggling with short or even intermediate range putts, then I highly recommend you give the White Ice Sabertooth a try. Given it's high MOI, this is a very forgiving design.

Lag putting is also improved. This is where the White Ice shines over the White Hot version. Odyssey claims this is their best feeling multi-layer insert to-date and I agree. But, even with the firmer insert, I still had some difficulty on faster greens. I'm certain that will improve over time - my previous putter was an Anser-style blade and therefore adjusting to a mallet like this one with a double bend shaft and generous offset takes time and some practice. I am willing to make that trade off given the Sabertooth's prowess on putts from inside 6-8 feet.

One more item of note. The Sabertooth's design makes for an excellent ball retriever. You'll never have to bend over to pick up those gimmies. Not a reason to buy a putter to be sure, but consider it an "added bonus".

Bottom Line

The Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth is my favorite mallet design to-date. And it's performance on money putts will quickly make you (and your playing partners/victims) forget it's quirky look at address. The White Ice Sabertooth is available in both left and right hand models in stock lengths up to 35 inches and retails for $179.99.

For more information on the Sabertooth and other White Ice designs, click here.

For more product reviews and other content by Addicted2Golf, click here.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Cool review... I have the original Sabertooth, and I love it... I used to lose control of the putter in my backstroke and the club head would wobble, causing inconsistent ball striking. The high MOI is great for me, and I can attest to the forgiveness of the putter...

people make fun of my Star Wars putter every time I play, but it works...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Cool review... I have the original Sabertooth, and I love it... I used to lose control of the putter in my backstroke and the club head would wobble, causing inconsistent ball striking. The high MOI is great for me, and I can attest to the forgiveness of the putter...

people make fun of my Star Wars putter every time I play, but it works...

Mudfish, you hit upon the exact reason why I went to the "tooth".

I love the look of a blade putter and will always gravitate towards them. And I can putt with anything when my stroke is on. I think that is true of any golfer.

But, during a round in which I might miss a handful of short putts (which happens more than I care to admit), I wonder why I torture myself unnecessarily. I've embraced technology in every other facet of my game - why not this one?

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Addicted2Golf:

First off, good on you for rolling with whatever design works for you. Personally, I use one of these to save my life but I'm glad they work for others.

Also, do you play with any of the Visions balls? I have an Odessy putter before but came to despise the super soft face in it espcailly with the Vision's balls. The click was too muted, speed went wonky and it was nearly impossible to feel the impact. Wondered if that was just me or perhaps just that Odessy model.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• 4 weeks later...

Archived