Are you stubborn, too?

I love the hybrid as a fringe putter. Keeps me from trying to get too cute on short chips.

• Like 3

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I have never been one to putt from off the green with a hybrid.  I've tried it, but the ball just seems to jump off the face too fast and the shaft is way too long.  Doesn't feel right.  Maybe I should spend so time with it, but I have never had a time at my course where I felt I needed that shot.

If you have your shot from that spot, go with it. I like the hybrid for longer chips because I'll tend to leave other shots short. But I'll also bump and run with everything from a 7 to a gap wedge. It's all what works for you.

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

As Clint Eastwood once said, "a man's gots to know his limitations"

If I can't play a shot in practice I won't try it on course unless I've got no other option, if I'm playing Strokeplay, course and option management are crucial.

Not to say I don't let ego or stupidity (or both) get in the way occasionally, but knowing what you are capable of (and remember it can change round to round) is a massive part of the game.

• Like 4

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I wont call it stubborn but if im struggling with a certain club like driver off the tee and im not playing a hdcp round i will continue to hit it trying to figure out whats going wrong. since i don't care about my score im not too worried about having blow up holes.  if im playing a hdcp round a large majority of the time im planning the hole out on the tee box for best way to get the ball in the hole.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yes, less than 2 feet of fringe. I can putt from the fringe if the pin is less than 10 feet away. If its longer I will always chip it. I don't mind chipping from tight lies. I've chipped twice this year already off the green because I was on the wrong part of the green and no way to putt the ball anywhere close to the hole within going through fringe and/or rough.

I have never been one to putt from off the green with a hybrid. I've tried it, but the ball just seems to jump off the face too fast and the shaft is way too long. Doesn't feel right. Maybe I should spend so time with it, but I have never had a time at my course where I felt I needed that shot.

I like to use my PW in these situations, play it very upright like you are putting, and play the ball off the meat of the toe area, it will have some “check” to it, but will help Control the speed better than the hybrid, I have the same issue with hybrid or putter from the fringe, the hybrid jumps off the face and goes 20 feet past, and then the putter gets stuck in the fringe and comes up short, the PW I feel like I can control the shot so that's what I do.

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I like to use my PW in these situations, play it very upright like you are putting, and play the ball off the meat of the toe area, it will have some “check” to it, but will help Control the speed better than the hybrid, I have the same issue with hybrid or putter from the fringe, the hybrid jumps off the face and goes 20 feet past, and then the putter gets stuck in the fringe and comes up short, the PW I feel like I can control the shot so that's what I do.

8 iron for me in that spot, but the One Length hybrid I'm picking up soon intrigues me as an option.

For me, I wouldn't call it stubborn so much as I would call it pressing. I know my game very well and when I'm not performing up to par, I try to get a bit back. I don't see it as stubborn because I know the shots and holes I can take those risks on at my home course, but it's more pressing because I always want to shoot my best score.

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 14*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 17.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

🤮⛳   Flo-C

:titelist-small: Pro V1X, 2021 Model, #33

Hogan said something to the effect of.. "Golf is 20% talent and 80% management." And Yogi Berra famously said: "50% of the game is 90% mental"

So, NO, you're not alone! I suspect less than optimal management decisions are not solely the province of high handicappers, either.

Anyway, I also share that problem. Big goal for this year is to "hit the shot _I_ can" and not the shot "I want" nor the shot my ego is telling me to go for .. because ironically your ego should be happier with a lower score, right?, vs (maybe) having that one hero shot to gloat about...........

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Oh- also practice putting with a hybrid (if you carry one) .. can be very effective from a short distance off the green with short grass between.

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W (Project X Cypher)
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I'm guilty of this also. Pride is also apart of my issue. If my partner pulls 8 Iron in my head I have to pull 8 Iron. Difference is, he can hit it 150, I'm 130. Last fall I started playing my game. I was able to close the gap. Also, took some lessons to clean up my swing. I believe I'm going to catch him again!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I'm guilty of this also. Pride is also apart of my issue. If my partner pulls 8 Iron in my head I have to pull 8 Iron. Difference is, he can hit it 150, I'm 130. Last fall I started playing my game. I was able to close the gap. Also, took some lessons to clean up my swing. I believe I'm going to catch him again!

It's not what tool you use, it's how you use it.

Took the boss out, he is swinging 130% at gap wedges, while take a knock down 9 iron. I almost dunked mine, he came up short.

Quality of strike will win every time.

• Like 2

Not me, I'll putt when I can and when I can't I'm much more likely to putt with a hybrid then pull a wedge. Unless you're tour tested, leave your ego and your cell phone in the car, bro.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

OK, you got me.  I get the ego thing, but I've tried for a couple of days to get the cell phone reference.  I must be thick, along with being stubborn.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Haven't read the entire thread, but I think this paraphrased quote applies: “Golf is played on a field 4 inches wide. The space between your ears.”

~ Bobby Jones

• Like 3

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60 X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Yep I am. I always try making the great shot instead of doing the smart shot. For example had to do a flop shot over sand into a small window. So instead of just going a little deeper and giving myself a reasonable putt I tried bumping it off a hill of course didn't make it... hello 6 instead of possible 4 at worst 5 because I'm stubborn

• Like 1