Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

U.S loses Ryder Cup - How will this one be remembered?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

I'll lob the softball out there...RAIN.

Not just that the raingear failed, but after firing up the DVR Friday morning, the rain made it almost unwatchable for me.

Definitely killed the buzz. I was set to watch all weekend and after a couple of hours on Friday morning I was mostly done.

Fowler was a true stud today in the finish though. Hunter will probably be reliving that sweet chip on 17 for a while, but once he missed that green, he likely was ready to concede.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think the final day will be memorable, a close finish, the fight back after being "wiped out" on Sunday. Tiger's "return to form". The decision to not put Tiger as the anchor man.

Phil playing a good game. Fowler scratching back to even the match. Jimenez' excellent play.

I think it was an excellent Ryder. I liked the outfits on the final day, pretty much the only ones I liked.

Hang on, I am CANADIAN (and Brit) so why do I even care?

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

The weather will definitely be part of it, and the big momentum swings. US starting out strong, Europe kicking it up a notch on Sunday, and the US playing very well in singles. While not necessarily fair, I think Hunter's performance in the final match will probably be a big part of the memory too.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

While not necessarily fair, I think Hunter's performance in the final match will probably be a big part of the memory too.

Agreed- we're going to be hearing about Mahan's flub and Westwood/Donald's manhandling of Tiger/Stricker (6 & 5) for some time.

The big thing that influenced this cup was the weather. More so than pairings, matches, etc. They need to move this program to earlier in the year. I know it was moved to this late because of the Fedex Cup, but it is a horrible time to try and play in most of Europe. Its not fair to the golfers, the fans OR the media. I say return it to early fall and let the Fedex Cup rounds come AFTER the Ryder Cup.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Agreed- we're going to be hearing about Mahan's flub and Westwood/Donald's manhandling of Tiger/Stricker (6 & 5) for some time.

Definitely Mahan's flub will be remembered but I doubt the drubbing of Tiger and Stricker will be because Tiger went 2-1 on the week. I think what will be remembered is Mickelson's terrible play, Mahan's flub, and the rain jackets. Also I know at least I will remember Rickie Fowler's clutch comeback.

Overton was HOT this week. I was really happy to see him do so well. :) Phil... no surprise. He's pretty much sucked in RC his whole career. :D People have continually bashed TW for his supposed "bad" RC record (now 13-14-2), but not many bother to mention that Phil has sucked at least as bad (now 10-17-6).

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Overton was HOT this week. I was really happy to see him do so well. :) Phil... no surprise. He's pretty much sucked in RC his whole career. :lol: People have continually bashed TW for his supposed "bad" RC record (now 13-14-2), but not many bother to mention that Phil has sucked at least as bad (now 10-17-6).

Tiger (13-11-1) beats Phil (11-13-9) in President's Cup record too.

Wales for being wet, (I know, I live here, and its just rained !!), and golf for being a great, great spectacle, when done right...

My brother is a non-golfer, and even he took a vacation day on the Monday, and SMSd me the whole day!

Oh, and for the pressure putts, the ones that turned games, and switched momentum. Love it.

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

Watched Golf Central this morning and I think I found something that will stick with me a little longer... John Feinstein said that captain's wives need to be out of the equation (paraphrasing). He prefaced it with "I might get in trouble, but..". Made me laugh; it did seem like Mrs. Pavin was ready to start the autograph-signing circuit even before the games were played. Then came Raingate... maybe function DOES preceed fashion? Hmmm....

People have continually bashed TW for his supposed "bad" RC record (now 13-14-2), but not many bother to mention that Phil has sucked at least as bad (now 10-17-6).

I do that, to both. But remember the little "out" they have: golf is a selfish game. It's hard to come out of that shell and be a part of a team for just one week a year... or so they say. Personally, I don't buy it. Nick Faldo, himself a world's #1 golfer, had no problems- even holds the record for most points scored in a RC career. Seve Ballesteros was probably the ultimate teammate, based on other's accounts- and he STILL managed to win some majors in his career.

I mean, other than the rain, what was there to complain about? This course was criticized early on for being "American", so it wasn't like it was a quirky European layout that most US golfers only see once every two years (or career). Not only that, Tiger was paired with Steve Stricker (Mr. Consistency) the whole time. Aside from his beating a rookie in singles, he didn't do anything astounding. What if he was paired with Bubba Watson or Dustin Johnson (2-6 combined)? Or Jim Furyk (0-2-1)? If I were grading his performance, it'd be a B* (*= thanks for the help, Stricks). Phil would get a resounding F-. The only thing that might've helped him is a pairing (or 3) with Stricker... but even then, that's highly doubtful. That, or what people say is true: the US stars really don't care about the Ryder Cup, not like their Euro counterparts.

It doesn't sound like you watched the post cup team interviews. Those guys were ready to cry because they lost. Anyone that says they don't care is totally out of touch with what I have seen from them. I've said that earlier and I stand by it, no matter what the media might try to feed me.

TW beat that "rookie" (who was 3 under after 15 holes) with 7 birdies and an eagle. Good lord, what do you WANT from the guy? 9 under in 15 holes. He would have beat the best who have ever swung a club with that kind of game.

Yes, he was paired with Stricker for the other matches and Stricker played pretty danged well. But TW and Stricker both had some really bad holes and I wouldn't call Stricker "Mr Consistency" during this cup. They were fortunate. When one screwed up, the other covered for him well (except in the match against Westwood and Donald). They were a TEAM in this cup and played like one.

Oh.. and that little "out" you mentioned... it was said by a team Euro WINNER..... McDowell. It wasn't a USA player making an excuse. But of course, our media will bend it that way.

Mahan broke down, not Phil (and that's not a bad thing). Though in all fairness, that was a class act by "FIGJAM"... but where was Tiger on that one (and why is it OK for people to still call Phil that, but we're supposed to forgive/forget Woods' "transgressions"?)? Also, how do we know Tiger's newfound liking of the RC isn't just another show, to prove he's rehabilitated? There's no real proof one way or the other, unless someone knows him personally- and even then, do they REALLY know him (most of his friends didn't know he was a philanderer)? As for Phil, there are STILL a number of people who feel he isn't genuine; based on that logic, do we really know he truly cares about the event, since no one actually knows him (aside from his true friends), either?

Here's a quote from a guy named Ken on Yahoo's Devil Ball Golf blog:

Seems to me that what is being lost in translation here, is that a person many Americans would label as a "Spoiled Rich Kid" actually gives a darn about not only his team and teammates, but his country as well. Good for Hunter Mahan, and his family for raising such an honorable young man! Now if only we could get the rest of young American atheletes to care as much, maybe sports would be more about we, than me...

That's what I was talking about- not the team as a whole; it's two "stars". It's one thing being 1-2, 0-3 as a rookie, but to have close to or just flat-out losing records over a career? And these two are the current "best of the best"? Either they're just not good at anything other than stroke play, or they just aren't giving it their all. Yes, losses are possible becasue the Law of Averages says so, and it isn't a teammate issue- their playing partners are no slouches, either; if they were, how'd they get there in the first place? But if it's not the aforementioned reasons, how do the "best" have records like that? If it's anything to me, it's mind-boggling.

Just to put it out there, If I were Pavin and we had a redo- Mahan would STILL be the anchor, because of that post-round reaction.

I was really looking forward to Tiger vs McIlroy match :(

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Right- the Golf Channel was hyping it, with the "talk". It would've been interesting, to say the least.

Hype or not, McIlroy seems like such a cocky kid, just wanted to see him getting owned and back down to earth.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Archived