TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cobra Forged Tec Black

golf4dayz

Has anyone gotten their hands on this new offering from Cobra? Looking to buy a set of Cobra irons and I'm between Forged Ten Black and the Forged Tour...Was hoping for more of a players iron, and I'm not sure if the Black fits the bill.

I think the Forged tec is going to give you more forgiveness and still maintain a smaller profile look compared tour.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm definitely looking at these as a possible replacement to my 4 & 5 irons. Can't wait to try them out.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I order my set Thursday 4-PW

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I haven't hit the new ones, but the old forged tec I have. And the Forged Tour. I'd say they are fairly equal. It seems they have 2 clubs competing against each other in their own lineup.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those options.

This was my thought on these as well. Seems like competing products in the same lineup. Kind of an odd product decision. Like the look of the black irons though.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Can you guys clarify for me exactly what models from other brands this FTBlack compares with? It's is supposed to be along the lines of say an AP2 or Apex Pro? 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

Can you guys clarify for me exactly what models from other brands this FTBlack compares with? It's is supposed to be along the lines of say an AP2 or Apex Pro? 

It's more inline with AP3's, P790's, Apex CF16's, i200's, and so on. 

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Awesome, that's exactly what I've been looking at buying. I was actually recently fit for the CF's but love the look of the FTB. The bad thing is Cobra is not sending out lefty fitting sets (per my local fitter) and I've yet to see any demo models hit stores. 

It's more inline with AP3's, P790's, Apex CF16's, i200's, and so on. 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

The forged tec black look absolutely amazing. I don't see any other irons that tickle my fancy quite like those. Maybe this site will find some testers for the player irons but I wouldn't be surprised if cobra just sticks with the F8 testing about to commence.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I like the look of the black forged Tec, but I don't feel like it performs as well as the last version. The original forged tec was a lot like the AP3. A little clicky at impact, but it was awesome. Cobra fixed the clicky sound, but I don't think that it has the same jump as last years club.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

So I've have my set since Monday. I've been out for 2 9 hole rpnds with them. And I'm struggling with them. Mostly due to the One Length. I know it will take me some time to get used to them. Sad part is here in SE WI some courses are open but not many ranges are open when I get home from work. I would much rather gone to the range for some testing then the course. But whatevs. I'll get there sometime soon

So..... The sound and feel amazing. I love the look of them. When I hot them clean. They fly. Like literally fly. Everything has a high trajectory. My swing is higher shaped naturaly. I've trying to get it down. And I even went with KBS $taper shafts because they are a more mid flight shaft. They still go plenty long. I've no problems with the distance. They are a little shorter (5-10yds)then my old 710 AP1s. But I'm confident that will come back when I learn how to swing these.

My biggest disappointment so far is with Cobra Connect/Arccos. It misses shots and putts on every hole. I have to edit the hole every hole. I have yet to have a hole recorded correctly. The interesting thing is after my first round I got an automated email from Arccos saying they noticed I had a lot of edited shots. And wanted to make sure I was doing everything correctly.

The phone is in my right front pocket. And I had the microphone pointed up. I address every shot/putt. It still misses. The email from accros said that I might not me rotating my hips enough to get the sensor to register. The sensor works in tandem with the phone. The phones accelerometer registers hips moving and hears the sound of the club ball impact.

They said they are working on a new algorithm for less than ideal hip rotation. And a new algorithm to help pick up putts better. I'll keep playing and trying it. I'm sure it will improve.

Any questions ask away!

I just ordered a set of these and they should be here Saturday. I'll try and remember to post some comments about them next week after I spend some time with them

Driver: Ping G30 9* Stiff

Fairway Wood: Taylormade RBZ 13* Stiff

Hybrids: Adams A3OS 3 & 4

Irons: Ping I20 Purple Dot 1/2" short 2* flat

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56, 60

Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Interesting, I didn't realize you had to have the phone in a specific pocket too. I can't stand having anything as bulky as my phone in my front pockets when playing so might have to skip having accros integrated on the clubs if/when I order them. 

How long did it take to get your sticks from the time you ordered them?

The phone is in my right front pocket. And I had the microphone pointed up. I address every shot/putt. It still misses. The email from accros said that I might not me rotating my hips enough to get the sensor to register. The sensor works in tandem with the phone. The phones accelerometer registers hips moving and hears the sound of the club ball impact.

Interesting, I didn't realize you had to have the phone in a specific pocket too. I can't stand having anything as bulky as my phone in my front pockets when playing so might have to skip having accros integrated on the clubs if/when I order them. 

How long did it take to get your sticks from the time you ordered them?

I ordered them on the 31st. They were delivered on the 9th

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here had a chance to hit the variable length version of these? How is the distance compared to say an AP2?

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Archived