Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Does GRIP SIZE matter?

J.B. TexasEx

Golf Pride's online fitting app recommended a midsize for me recently. I've never gamed that size and was surprised by it because my hands aren't that big. I wear a cadet XL or standard men's L glove.

GP was kind enough to send me two midsize grips to demo, the MCC-Plus 4 Align. I had 'em installed on my Driver and 3-Wood because my misses are usually left with those clubs.

My hope is the "fatter" grip limits excessive hand action and will result in fewer hooks.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

I found the midsize grips took my hook away.

To me it helped me not turning my wrist.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Midsize (from standard) grips actually helped me draw the ball. The smaller grips had me squeezing too tight and not releasing the club. I wear a footjoy cadet ML for reference- although I do like them to start snug and "form" to my hand.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Just bought a couple midsize grips for my driver and 3 wood. Will post an update after I get a chance to install and swing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylormade M1 440 9.5* X flex

Titleist 910F 3 wood 15* stiff flex

Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-PW S300 standard

Titleist SM6 wedge 50* 56* 60*

Scotty Cameron Circa 62 Model #1 putter

RH

Yes. It can affect the ability to square or rehearse the club. Fingertips should just touch the palm when gripping the club

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Jumbo for me from now on!   My old hands feel so much less tension and stiffness with the big grips.   

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Midsize for me as well. I find that I have less tension in my hands that way.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Midsize grips for me. Standard grips I always feel like I am strangling the club, just too much tension. I also tend to get a little hooky with standard grips.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

The right size grip will make a huge difference in your consistency. I don't believe in the sizing charts though as the be all end all. Just have to see what feels right in your hands and go from there.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

For a glove a wear a titleist XL cadet which is a little short on the palm of my hand.  Always used the original grips on the clubs off the rack which were standard.  I started using oversize grips 2 years ago and it allowed me to stop strangling the club when swinging.  The lighter grip pressure has allowed my swing to be smoother.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Jumbo for me from now on! My old hands feel so much less tension and stiffness with the big grips.

One of my friends just went to mid-size, and it really helped him out. Arthritis is an issue for him, and not having to close his hands so tight has made a difference.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

One of my friends just went to mid-size, and it really helped him out. Arthritis is an issue for him, and not having to close his hands so tight has made a difference.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Absolutely helps those with arthritis  and I should have made the move a few years back.  

Cleveland

Midsize (from standard) grips actually helped me draw the ball. The smaller grips had me squeezing too tight and not releasing the club. I wear a footjoy cadet ML for reference- although I do like them to start snug and "form" to my hand.

Don't doubt you for a minute but this shouldn't happen. Normally the larger the grip the harder it is to draw the ball.

My G30's arrived with jumbo grips. Arthritis can be an issue for me so I'm going to hit some balls with them but my gut says I will be changing them out. They feel weird to me.

Edit - this was a very timely topic for me BTW, thanks.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Don't doubt you for a minute but this shouldn't happen. Normally the larger the grip the harder it is to draw the ball.

My G30's arrived with jumbo grips. Arthritis can be an issue for me so I'm going to hit some balls with them but my gut says I will be changing them out. They feel weird to me.

Edit - this was a very timely topic for me BTW, thanks.

You might want to give em a few rounds to see if the weirdness wears off.  If they still feel off,  the problem might be in your hand size so a slightly smaller version might work.

http://www.jumbomax.com/sizing/

Cleveland

Nope. It only matters how it feels to you. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I was always told size doesn't matter. So she's been lien to me all this time. Oh sorry wrong thread and website. ;)

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

I was playing to a 13 Hcap a few years back when I decided to regrip with midsize Grips, thinking the larger grip would help my arthritis. My glove size is Cadet Medium. Well, 6 months later, I abandoned the larger grips as my Hcap had increased to 20.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I was playing to a 13 Hcap a few years back when I decided to regrip with midsize Grips, thinking the larger grip would help my arthritis. My glove size is Cadet Medium. Well, 6 months later, I abandoned the larger grips as my Hcap had increased to 20.

I was thinking about upsizing my grips at some point because I have little arthritis in my left hand. I wear cadet ML. Maybe I'll wait.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I play Pure Grips DTX regular on all my clubs, but I have some Pure DTX midsize grips.  I put one on my driver last week, and it feels good.  Better distance and control too.  I feel like I can grip looser; relieves tension.  I'm giving it another week, and if it's still working, I will put them on my FW/hybrids.  Not sure about irons.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wear an ML size glove and have been using midsize grips for over a year now and really prefer them over standard grips. I have definitely become less 'handsy' with my swing and feel as though I have more control of my club. I'd recommend them to anyone that has a large enough hand to wrap their hand around the grip properly.

9 index - 30 years old - Dallas, TX
WITB:

Driver: Cobra F8 (10.5°) with Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 stiff (45.75")

3w: Cobra F8 (15.5°) with Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 stiff (43.5")

5w: Taylormade R11S (19°) with Aldila RIP Phenom 70 stiff

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4-5 with Nippon NS 950 GH stiff
          Titleist 718 AP2 6-Gw (1° strong) with Nippon NS 950 GH stiff

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (54.08M & 58.08M) with Nippon NS Pro 950 GH stiff

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport
Ball: Taylormade TP5x

*My grandfather’s MacGregor persimmon for good luck

"Read it, Role it, Hole it"

This is probably one of the most overlooked facets of equipment to me. Once I began using midsize grips I saw a serious improvement in my control.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Hmmmm, this has me intrigued. I had a lesson a month ago and the instructor said that I have large hands and that I should consider looking into larger grips. I do fight a hook, so based on the comments above, they might help.

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Fairway: 3 wood Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3- 5

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 6- PW

Wedges: Mizuno S5 50, Callaway PM Grind 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey O works 1w

The right size grip will make a huge difference in your consistency. I don't believe in the sizing charts though as the be all end all. Just have to see what feels right in your hands and go from there.

Totally agree with this. Out of curiosity I just did their online fitter after reading this thread and it says I should be standard. Well I just switched from standard to midsize last summer and love the feel way better and like to think its helped my performance too (in reality its been about the same).

What's in my bag:

Driver:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z, 10.5* set to 9.5* D, Kuro Kage TiNi 65, x-stiff, 45'' long

Hybrids: :srixon-small: z45, 16* and 19*, Kuro Kage Black Hybrid, stiff

Irons:   :titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW, NS Pro 950 GH, stiff, +0.5'' long 

Wedges:   :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 58*, black, Skratch Golf 53* wedge, both Dynamic Gold, wedge flex 

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Anser, black, pistol grip, 35"

All clubs RH.

I went to mid-size grips last summer because I was borderline between a standard and mid-size according to fitting recommendations.  With the larger grips I felt like I held the clubs a lot tighter and lost a lot of feel for controlling the ball.  I am going back to standard size grips this year to hopefully relieve the extra tension in my grip.  My opinion is grip size is really just a matter of comfort and feel, not necessarily hand size and ball flight.

WITB

Driver:  Nike Covert 2.0 

Woods:  :taylormade-small: Burner 3 Wood (HL) 15* and 5 Wood 18*

Irons:   :ping-small: G400 (4-7) and i200 (8-UW)

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 (55* and 60*)

Putter:  :odyssey-small: 2-Ball (Tour Bronze)

I wear a regular small glove size, and I bought a hybrid last summer and it came with a mid-size grip and I found with my woods and hybrid I'd try to power through it alot and really get that extra oomph on it.

The mid size grip with the hybrid still gave me the ability to have a smooth swing without feeling like I was ripping through it.  Haven't made the decision yet to convert any of my other clubs but may look at it this year as I added another hybrid and took out my fairways.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5*
Hybrid 3/4: NIke Vapor Fly 20.5, 22.5
Irons: 5 to A Wedge: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged

Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60* Vokey SM4
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 3 (2017)
Ball: Bridgestone RXS
Bag: Callaway

I think feel is a larger indicator of what is correct, although I have seen that I tend to use less hands/wrist when I have a larger grip.  Because of that I've always gone with a midsize in my wedges.  

If your miss is a draw, I think someone would benefit from a larger grip to help combat that a bit.  Not saying it would eliminate, but could lessen the big miss.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Hmmmm, this has me intrigued. I had a lesson a month ago and the instructor said that I have large hands and that I should consider looking into larger grips. I do fight a hook, so based on the comments above, they might help.

I wear a regular small glove size, and I bought a hybrid last summer and it came with a mid-size grip and I found with my woods and hybrid I'd try to power through it alot and really get that extra oomph on it.

The mid size grip with the hybrid still gave me the ability to have a smooth swing without feeling like I was ripping through it.  Haven't made the decision yet to convert any of my other clubs but may look at it this year as I added another hybrid and took out my fairways.

I think a less costly way to find out if a larger grip works is to try it on one of your irons.  Maybe a seven iron and if that works and feels good, change the rest of the irons.    ;)

Cleveland

I just switched out from standard MCC's to Midsized+4's. I have issues with grip pressure in the tip of my left hand pinky, due to breaking it a few too many times. I'll be swinging after work, so we'll see how it goes. I've always felt like had too tight of a grip with my standards, but was hesitant to switch to a larger grip because my miss is a big fade already

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

I find it does, although my hands are not really too big either. 

I fit in between a standard and a midsize. Standards feel too skinny, and I can't really swing too hard with a mid size without excessive wrist movement. I have found that a standard grip with an additional wrap gets me in the right comfort zone.

Toying with the amount of wraps is probably a better barometer than simply hand size is. It's all about what is comfortable to you!

BIRD DOG!!!

Driver: TMAG R15, 9 degree, Tour Ad Di 6s

3W: Titleist 910f, 15 degree, Tour Ad Di 7s

3H: Bridgestone J15,Tour AD Di 105s 

Irons: Titleist 714 AP2's 4-Pw (Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50, 54, 60 (Project X 6.0 Rifle) 

Putter: Scotty Newport 2, 34"

I agree with jdlingle.  It really comes down to what feels best to you.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done