TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does GRIP SIZE matter?

J.B. TexasEx

I agree with jdlingle. It really comes down to what feels best to you.

Yup the charts are just a starting point then you either go up or down in size based on personal preference and the outcome of using them.

I have the same issue with gloves. If I use the chart in stores I would be buying large - but XL feel better and that's what I go with.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Like others have said previously you don't want your fingertips digging into your palm. Proper grip size will let you hold the club without squeezing it too hard.

I started regripping my own clubs a few years back in my garage and messing around with different brands and sizes. Since then I've been regripping clubs for my old man and friends while enjoying a few pints. I love tinkering around with all kinds of golf equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Charts are just a starting point. I wear a XL glove or Cadet XL depending on brand, but I use a standard size grip. My fingers barely touch my palm with my left hand and they do not touch with my right hand (right-handed golfer).

I went to mid-size grips last summer because I was borderline between a standard and mid-size according to fitting recommendations. With the larger grips I felt like I held the clubs a lot tighter and lost a lot of feel for controlling the ball. I am going back to standard size grips this year to hopefully relieve the extra tension in my grip. My opinion is grip size is really just a matter of comfort and feel, not necessarily hand size and ball flight.

Have you tried Standard +1 or +2 wraps to get that in-between sizing?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Agree with others who've said it's all in what feels right to you and gives you the best control.

I also feel like I'm kinda in-between standard and mid-sized .. for me, so far, the best grip I've found is the "standard" GP CP2 Wrap. It seems to be just enough bigger around vs a standard tour velvet-style wrap, and easy for older fingers to comfortably wrap around and hang on without squeezing.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I played standard all my life until last year when I went nidsize. I wear a L or XL gloce depending on brand. I loved mudsize at first but then started realizing I was struggling to maintain a good grip; especially in mishits. I just went back to regular wirh an extra wrap after playing around a bit. I got two buckeyts on the grips and 27 holes and zero complaints about going back. I say whatever feels right.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I moved to midsize a few years back after an online "fitting" said that was my better choice. I find that I have a much softer grip pressure, and as a result started generating more clubhead speed. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I've found that the midsize grips in my driver and 3-wood has eliminated my really bad miss - the pull hook. Gonna take the plunge and install the midsized Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 ALIGN in all of my clubs. I just find that I'm less handsy with the bigger grips.

I've also decided that my old Clevelands with Project X, 6.0 shafts are "too strong" for me. Gonna pull my old Hogan irons out of the garage and play 'em this year, too.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Of course you know Ian and Matt would be all over this one as https://youtu.be/dtWjTeAYDeI

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Of course you know Ian and Matt would be all over this one as

Those guys at TXG are amazing...Making me rethink my initial decision to immediately puy +4's on all my clubs without thinking what that impact would be. After being fit into my new driver and it coming out with standard grip diameter, I may regrip everything back to standard and see if that helps me over-all. Thanks for the link GS Rob!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Golf Pride's online fitting app recommended a midsize for me recently. I've never gamed that size and was surprised by it because my hands aren't that big. I wear a cadet XL or standard men's L glove.

GP was kind enough to send me two midsize grips to demo, the MCC-Plus 4 Align. I had 'em installed on my Driver and 3-Wood because my misses are usually left with those clubs.

My hope is the "fatter" grip limits excessive hand action and will result in fewer hooks.

I can vouch for your last statement about excessive hand action.  I went from standard grips to Midside MCC+4 and while they felt great even though I have smaller hands, I lost the feeling of my wrist action especially at the top of my swing and through the swing.  I favored the right (right handed) as I did not have a pronounced hand release, if that makes sense.  I am experimenting on going back to standard but with 2 extra wraps. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I moved to midsize a few years back after an online "fitting" said that was my better choice. I find that I have a much softer grip pressure, and as a result started generating more clubhead speed.

I'm with you on that. I went with midsize align grips and found I had much less pressure because of the size of the grip.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yes it is matters and hear is that a great video on the grip fitting

https://youtu.be/Ypae0ZYNVd8

I think that was the one i meant to post Joe. Didn't realize they had done two of them. Ill have to go watch the other one again.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

After watching these I put a new grip on my driver yesterday. I was in a standard with two wraps plus two more in the bottom hand. I had not taken into account that the shaft butt diameter was larger than my irons though and I had been having trouble hitting my stock draw with this club. Put a standard on with one less wrap and one less right hand wrap and it was nice easy draws all day yesterday.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I used to have a lot of hand action in my swing...at times it worked great but it led to some inconsistency and I found myself flipping the club more often than not.

I heard about the jumbomax grips and figured I would give them a try- at this point I had tried everything from under to over size.

Let me tell you...if you want to minimize hand movement there is no better grip on the market.

I wear a medium glove and use both the small and medium size grips.

I found the jumbomax helped me use my body (i.e rotate) more in my swing vs arms/hands only.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I find using the oversize grips has done wonders with my accuracy.  I am torn between two different grips right now, but the good thing is that when you know how to regrip clubs, the decision making process is a lot less expensive!! LOL

Love trying new equipment and staying informed of current trends and developments.  Over the years, I have owned Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Adams, Orlimar, Snake Eyes, Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, Lynx, Ram, and Dunlop.  Belong to a golf league at my workplace, am an alternate for another golf league, and spend my free time golfing with my wife, (who is also on a golf league!), or with other friends. 

Callaway RazrX irons, 6-P, standard loft, regular flex

Callaway RazrHawk Fairway Woods 3, 5, 7, regular flex

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 9, regular flex

Callaway Xhot Driver, 10.5, regular flex

Cleveland RTX Wedges, 56* 60*, standard loft, regular flex

Cleveland TFi 6.5 Putter
Right Handed

Madison, WI

18 Handicap

I was recently fitted into a new driver and the grip size on it is standard. I seem to hit it pretty good and I can "feel" it better too. It got me thinking about my choice to go with midsize grips on my full set when I put it together late last year. I had immediately put midsize grips on everything even before playing with them and my "thinking" was that midsize would maybe help reduce aches & pains, especially in my damaged left wrist & arm. I actually think the graphite shafts do most of that pain reduction though...

So I never put too much thought into "loss of feel" or swingweight changes this may have caused, but I am now wanting to experiment and see if going back to standard diameters and weights will help my game a bit. It certainly can't hurt especially after last Monday's disaster of a round... :angry:

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

Just checked into the ship status of my new standard grips and they all seem to be on schedule to arrive today! :) I guess I'll know what I'll be doing tonight!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Whew!

IMG_20180604_235354258_LL.jpg

Done deal! Unfortunately I was unable to save my MCC +4's and wound up cutting off nearly $100 of grips off to make way for this "grand" experiment... :wacko: But I am over that and excited to try the standard-diameter stuff once again!

For those of you "observant" types that may have noticed the absence of a club... :ph34r: Indeed...score yourself 5 bonus points! My 8-iron had a "bad day" last Monday and had it's shaft "abbreviated" against a tree (through it really).

It is currently at PING HQ getting a new one and I'm expecting it to return Friday. An $80 little side trip as it were...

I asked that it be outfitted with the original grip, but I'll probably "bin" that one in lieu of one of these 5L's so that it matches the rest of the set which I've already done...OCD is a rough thing... :blink:

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Whew!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180604_235354258_LL.jpg

Done deal! Unfortunately I was unable to save my MCC +4's and wound up cutting off nearly $100 of grips off to make way for this "grand" experiment... :wacko: But I am over that and excited to try the standard-diameter stuff once again!

For those of you "observant" types that may have noticed the absence of a club... :ph34r: Indeed...score yourself 5 bonus points! My 8-iron had a "bad day" last Monday and had it's shaft "abbreviated" against a tree (through it really).

It is currently at PING HQ getting a new one and I'm expecting it to return Friday. An $80 little side trip as it were...

I asked that it be outfitted with the original grip, but I'll probably "bin" that one in lieu of one of these 5L's so that it matches the rest of the set which I've already done...OCD is a rough thing... :blink:

So my ultimate answer to this thread (at least for me) is a resounding YES! YES grip size matters! I cannot tell you how much better my clubs feel (and how much better I can feel them) with standard sized ones back in play! I'm not gonna be going be shooting into the 80's soon, but I can see myself being well below 100 very soon. WOW! What a difference to the positive! Striking is better and distance is spot on-just gotta learn to aim better and off I go...! The plus4 experiment is over for me.

OBTW, my 8-iron showed up and it is equipped with the exact grip as the rest of my irons, so I got that right and so did PING! :D

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

• 2 weeks later...

I think it matters. Mid-size grips really help with the pain in my hands the next day. Not really sure if they affect my play though.

Callaway Epic Driver & 3 wood

3 & 5 Stealth Hybrids

Taylormade Burner irons 6-GW

Odyssey Ten putter.

Don't doubt you for a minute but this shouldn't happen. Normally the larger the grip the harder it is to draw the ball.

All things being equal, you'd be right, but I have relatively small hands and use midsize with extra wraps, which helps me through the ball.

As I said, "all things being equal", the primary but being grip pressure.

It's already been mentioned here, but wider grips can let you have the same amount of grip with less hand pressure more easily, which loosens all the muscles in your forearms and helps you square the face.

Same pressure in your hands a wider grip should see less wrist rotation, being able to loosen your grip and still feel in control can help you square the face and also swing faster and more loosely too.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

• 1 year later...

I have started to become super anal about grip size. Made of the online calculators and charts have very broad ranges for grip fitting. I have seen charts where if your hand length is 6.6" to 7.5", your a standard size. I know this is meant as a starting point, but 6.6" to 7.5" is a wide range for a single size grip. I recently found this from Hireko:

image.png.5d6b56fd90ed234b4dfc6bfc4c475476.png

If I were to go off the normal charts online, my A measurement is right at 7", so that would put me in a Standard size. 

However, based on the Hireko chart above, my sizing would be:

• A measurement: 7.00" - between the Ladies Standard and Ladies + 1/64"
  • B measurement 3.125" - between the Men's -1/32" and Ladies +1/32"

The old Ping color chart would put me in Aqua which is -1/64".

This all makes sense to me now why I have never felt comfortable with Mens standard. I have shorter than average hands, and my fingers are skinny. On a side note, before my wife and I got married, she was buying me a ring and she googled for average men's ring size, which is a 10. My ring size is 6.5.

The reason I am so anal these days about grip size is because my left palm was coming off the grip at the top which caused all sorts of problems, part of that was an issue with how I was gripping the club, part of it due to grip size. My driver shots are night and day difference just based on properly having a firm hold on the grip.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Im still of the mind that its mostly personal preference.  Ive played with standard size grips as well as jumbo grips and while I did really like the way that the jumbos felt, it didnt really make any difference in my ball flight or my scores.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Im still of the mind that its mostly personal preference.

I'd agree on the personal preference for size, plus I'd add the 'type' of grip. I've used standard, midsize and jumbo, but the grip I've found most comfortable is midsize (+1/16). Additionally I prefer a non-tapered grip. I tried the LT and while I liked the increased diameter for choking down on the club, the grip material just didn't feel right. I always go back to MCC+4.

One of the nice things about putting on one's grip is that you can experiment until you find the perfect one.

Left Hand orientation